PDA

View Full Version : Republicans threaten colleges, foreign students over response to Israel-Hamas war

Gunny
10-25-2023, 02:11 PM
I'm for sending them packing. Not just the foreigners. Anyone that supports Hamas should get to live in Gaza with Hamas.

Republicans threaten colleges, foreign students over response to Israel-Hamas war | The Hill (https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4273209-republicans-threaten-colleges-foreign-students-israel-hamas-war/)

hjmick
10-25-2023, 03:26 PM
As abhorrent and reprehensible as I find many of the things that have been said in defense of Hamas, the statements of support, it seems... unAmerican to punish people for exercising their First Amendment right to free speech. I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't face repercussions for their words and actions, but the repercussions should not be doled out by the government or those sworn to defend the Constitution...

Kathianne
10-25-2023, 04:17 PM
As abhorrent and reprehensible as I find many of the things that have been said in defense of Hamas, the statements of support, it seems... unAmerican to punish people for exercising their First Amendment right to free speech. I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't face repercussions for their words and actions, but the repercussions should not be doled out by the government or those sworn to defend the Constitution...

That's where I fall too. No deportation stuff. No jail.

Don't have a problem with not hired by good employers.

RoccoR
10-25-2023, 09:32 PM
RE: Republicans threaten colleges, foreign students over response to Israel-Hamas war (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?78977-Republicans-threaten-colleges-foreign-students-over-response-to-Israel-Hamas-war&p=1020770#post1020770)
SUBTOPIC: Common Sense and the Right to Promote Trouble
※→ hjmick, et al,

(CLARITY)

Article 20. International Human Rights Law, International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (https://www.ohchr.org/en/instruments-mechanisms/instruments/international-covenant-civil-and-political-rights). (CCPR)

1. Any propaganda for war shall be prohibited by law.
2. Any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence shall be prohibited by law.

(COMMENT)

HAMAS (The Islamic Resistance Movement) is a designated Terrorist Organization; as is also the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) and a half-dozen others. These groups are not just designated by the United States and Canada, but also by all 27 countries that make-up the European Union.

You can throw your support on the Bandwagon created by the Hostile Arab Palestinians (HoAP) - that are whining they are "victims" but what are you supporting. There is no justification for terrorism.

Remember: The Policys and Principles of HAMAS are built on a foundation of Islam (and we know what that means). They are
Jihadist, Fedayeen Activist, Hostile Insurgents, Radicalized Islamic Followers, and Asymmetric Fighters. They want the territory from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea. HAMAS is a Resistance Movement that believe they have the right to use any means necessary in their armed struggle.

HAMAS has been firing rockets and mortars into Israel in a campaign of terror for more than two decades. And we do not need to talk about the kidnapping and murder of teenagers, bombings and assaults on unarmed women and children. One of the great Hereos of the Palestinian People is Dalai Mughrabi for the attack on an unarmed bus • killing more than 30 Israelis , 12 of which were children. It takes a special kind of person tomachine-gun down children (eye to eye). The Palestinians are still naming schools after this monster.

If you want to express your support for these Hostile Arab Palestinians (HoAP) be my guest.
But don't tarnish the concept of Free-Speech in doing so.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/blob:http://www.debatepolicy.com/08ddff84-95cf-44e8-b24c-d0669258b1f7
Most Respectfully,
R

Kathianne
10-25-2023, 11:55 PM
RE: Republicans threaten colleges, foreign students over response to Israel-Hamas war (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?78977-Republicans-threaten-colleges-foreign-students-over-response-to-Israel-Hamas-war&p=1020770#post1020770)
SUBTOPIC: Common Sense and the Right to Promote Trouble
※→ hjmick, et al,

(CLARITY)

Article 20. International Human Rights Law, International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (https://www.ohchr.org/en/instruments-mechanisms/instruments/international-covenant-civil-and-political-rights). (CCPR)

1. Any propaganda for war shall be prohibited by law.
2. Any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence shall be prohibited by law.

(COMMENT)

HAMAS (The Islamic Resistance Movement) is a designated Terrorist Organization; as is also the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) and a half-dozen others. These groups are not just designated by the United States and Canada, but also by all 27 countries that make-up the European Union.

You can throw your support on the Bandwagon created by the Hostile Arab Palestinians (HoAP) - that are whining they are "victims" but what are you supporting. There is no justification for terrorism.

Remember: The Policys and Principles of HAMAS are built on a foundation of Islam (and we know what that means). They are
Jihadist, Fedayeen Activist, Hostile Insurgents, Radicalized Islamic Followers, and Asymmetric Fighters. They want the territory from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea. HAMAS is a Resistance Movement that believe they have the right to use any means necessary in their armed struggle.

HAMAS has been firing rockets and mortars into Israel in a campaign of terror for more than two decades. And we do not need to talk about the kidnapping and murder of teenagers, bombings and assaults on unarmed women and children. One of the great Hereos of the Palestinian People is Dalai Mughrabi for the attack on an unarmed bus • killing more than 30 Israelis , 12 of which were children. It takes a special kind of person tomachine-gun down children (eye to eye). The Palestinians are still naming schools after this monster.

If you want to express your support for these Hostile Arab Palestinians (HoAP) be my guest.
But don't tarnish the concept of Free-Speech in doing so.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/blob:http://www.debatepolicy.com/08ddff84-95cf-44e8-b24c-d0669258b1f7
Most Respectfully,
R

Sorry, we agree about Hamas being barbaric terrorists. We have the the right to call them barbaric nonhumans. I believe they are responsible for all the acts attributed to them and I do hope they are neutralized, meaning unable to commit further atrocities for the future.

At the same time we have hateful citizens of the West in general, many US cities and university campuses in particular. I and others have every right to call them anti,-Semites and ignorant of history, deniers of history if you will. They also seem to lack the human ability to empathize with the innocents and are led like sheep to rally for the murderers.

I'm gratified that several employers have identified specific students and rescinded offers of employment. Very happy so many prominent alumni have chosen to end gifts and endowments to these universities.

Where we seem to disagree is with the government employing incarceration or threatening expulsion. The protesters have the right to be idiots. We have the right to tell them they are. We even have the right to identify any we know, making certain they are known to community and employers. Shaming is fine, ignoring the constitution is not.

Kathianne
10-26-2023, 12:27 AM
Now speaking of the idiots running the asylum, here's some incidents that the police are 'investigating' to see if 'hate crime' should apply. Personally I do not approve of the idea of 'hate crime,' as it assumes an ability to read the perps mind. To my way of thinking all crimes are hate related if against a person. There are the powers of discretion on the parts of police, prosecutors, and judges.

BUT if an area is going to have 'hate crime' labels, it seems pretty clear in the following:

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/10/25/anti-semitic-nuts-are-coming-out-of-the-woodwork-in-california-new-york-n587756

Anti-Semitic Nuts are Coming Out of the Woodwork in California, New YorkJOHN SEXTON 10:40 PM on October 25, 2023

Anti-Semitic Nuts are Coming Out of the Woodwork in California, New York
We’ve seen this sort of thing happen before. Just a couple years ago there was a wave of anti-Semitic attacks with notable incidents in New York City and Los Angeles. Now it seems to be happening again.

Last night a deranged man broke into a Jewish family’s home in Studio City, CA and threatened to kill them. The couple’s four children were home at the time.

The break-in happened around 5:20 a.m. in the 3000 block of Laurel Canyon Boulevard, according to Los Angeles Police.

The victim, who is nine months pregnant, told KTLA’s Ellina Abovian that the intruder first kicked in the door to their master bedroom. Her husband fought with him while she called 911.

“[He said] I’m going to kill you because you are Jewish … Israel kills people,” she said in broken English.

Was this guy trying to reenact the murder of Jewish families is Israel? Fortunately, the husband forced the man outside where police found him still ranting when they arrived. He was armed with a kitchen knife and kept shouting “Free Palestine!” as he was arrested. Reporters (see below) said he was shouting other things during his arrest that couldn’t’ be aired in a televised report.

As for how the suspect targeted this particular family, Yashar Ali reported that the home had “Mezuzahs on the door,” identifying them as Jewish.

The LA Times reports the incident is being investigated as a possible hate crime. Meanwhile in San Francisco, someone apparently targeted a Jewish-owned ice cream shop, smashing windows and painting it with graffiti.

Residents walking down Valencia Street between 20th and Liberty streets stopped in their tracks this morning, to see Smitten Ice Cream’s storefront smashed to pieces, and the one remaining front window covered in graffiti: “FREE PALESTIEN,” it read, with the second word misspelled.

The other windows and two doors were covered in plastic, and shards of glass were visible on the pavement, as well as inside the shop.

Here’s a photo showing the damage. You can’t see the graffiti but it’s on the one remaining window.

As mentioned, the owner of the ice cream shop is Jewish and no other stores in the area were vandalized. Despite that, police haven’t said yet that this as a targeted crime.

And in New York a man was just arrested for a suspected anti-Jewish hate crime which took place more than a week ago.

The suspect punched a woman in the face and then told her he did it because she was Jewish.

Cops said Christopher D’Aguiar, 28, of Manhattan was taken into custody Tuesday evening after a crime stoppers tip helped detectives find him.

D’Aguiar was charged with hate crime assault and harassment for the Oct. 14 incident, where he allegedly struck a 29-year-old woman in the 7 train passageway of the 42nd Street and Lexington Avenue subway station. When she asked him why he punched her, he stated “because you are Jewish” and then ran off, according to police.

The NYPD says anti-Jewish hate crimes are up dramatically since Hamas launched its attack on Israel on Oct. 7.

At least 51 hate crimes have been reported in the city since Oct. 9 — two days after the terrorist group’s unprecedented raid — and 30 of them were against Jewish victims, NYPD Chief of Detectives Joseph Kenny said at a press briefing.

“Of those 51 incidents, 30 of them were anti-Jewish. So, that’s where our increase over the last period is sitting,” Kenny said.

During the same period in 2022, only six anti-Jewish incidents were reported, he told reporters.

Unfortunately, I suspect this is going to continue to get worse if Israel does launch a ground invasion (which could take months) and if US papers keep relying on Hamas for casualty numbers. And this sort of thing trickles down to kids as well. This report is from just 2 days ago.

Gunny
10-26-2023, 02:47 PM
Now speaking of the idiots running the asylum, here's some incidents that the police are 'investigating' to see if 'hate crime' should apply. Personally I do not approve of the idea of 'hate crime,' as it assumes an ability to read the perps mind. To my way of thinking all crimes are hate related if against a person. There are the powers of discretion on the parts of police, prosecutors, and judges.

BUT if an area is going to have 'hate crime' labels, it seems pretty clear in the following:

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/10/25/anti-semitic-nuts-are-coming-out-of-the-woodwork-in-california-new-york-n587756Mind-boggling: Jews support the Dem Party and its policies, to include gun control. In MY mind anyway, how come we have yet to hear of one single story of a Jew, in Israel or here, pulling out firearm and defending themselves?

Was I Jewish, one look at history would have me packing whatever the law will allow.

Kathianne
10-26-2023, 02:51 PM
Mind-boggling: Jews support the Dem Party and its policies, to include gun control. In MY mind anyway, how come we have yet to hear of one single story of a Jew, in Israel or here, pulling out firearm and defending themselves?

Was I Jewish, one look at history would have me packing whatever the law will allow.

I've been reading on this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/not-safe-anywhere-now-american-jews-are-flocking-gun-training-classes-rcna120602

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2023/10/24/23930350/gun-sales-surging-jewish-americans-hamas-attack-israel-gaza-war

https://nypost.com/2023/10/23/news/jewish-americans-are-flocking-to-learn-gun-safety-and-buy-firearms/

Gunny
10-26-2023, 02:55 PM
I've been reading on this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/not-safe-anywhere-now-american-jews-are-flocking-gun-training-classes-rcna120602

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2023/10/24/23930350/gun-sales-surging-jewish-americans-hamas-attack-israel-gaza-war

https://nypost.com/2023/10/23/news/jewish-americans-are-flocking-to-learn-gun-safety-and-buy-firearms/Wonder will it change any votes? If so, enough to affect the outcome of the election?

Kathianne
10-26-2023, 02:56 PM
Wonder will it change any votes? If so, enough to affect the outcome of the election?

Maybe more independents. I know I wouldn't go R today on my first attempt at change. What a whack party.

Gunny
10-26-2023, 03:00 PM
Maybe more independents. I know I wouldn't go R today on my first attempt at change. What a whack party.Already been thinking along those lines. I'm not seeing myself long for supporting current RINOs in control nor their Dear Leader.

Kathianne
10-26-2023, 03:06 PM
On point. Basically it's saying that it doesn't matter the politics of Jews, progressive or not. The left and right extremes are anti-Semitic and fall back on the same tropes the Nazis used, popular in Europe since the Middle Ages. :

https://theconversation.com/antisemitism-has-moved-from-the-right-to-the-left-in-the-us-and-falls-back-on-long-standing-stereotypes-215760

The Conversation

Antisemitism has moved from the right to the left in the US − and falls back on long-standing stereotypes
Published: October 25, 2023 8.33am EDT
Author
Arie Perliger
Director of Security Studies and Professor of Criminology and Justice Studies, UMass Lowell

Disclosure statement
Arie Perliger receives funding from the National Institute of Justice

Partners
University of Massachusetts

University of Massachusetts provides funding as a member of The Conversation US.

View all partners

CC BY ND
We believe in the free flow of information
Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative Commons license.

The U.S. is currently experiencing one of the most significant waves of antisemitism that it has ever seen. Jewish communities are shaken and traumatized.

Jewish and civil rights organizations both in the U.S. and in other Western countries reported a rise in antisemitic incidents following the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas attack on Israel and the subsequent Israeli military response. The Anti-Defamation League reported that in the first week after Hamas’ deadly attack, in which 1,400 Israelis were killed, antisemitic incidents in the U.S. tripled in comparison to the same week last year.

Similarly, London police recorded a 1,353% increase in antisemitic crimes compared with the same period a year earlier.

In addition, antisemitic symbols and rhetoric seem to be part of a growing number of protests that erupted around the globe following the escalation of the conflict between Israel and Hamas.

How The Conversation is different: All our authors are experts.
Most scholars agree that the term “antisemitism” describes animosity and discrimination against Jews. Broader definitions, such as the one adopted by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance, include the singling out of Israel and the demonization of its character, such as the claim that “the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor.”

My team of researchers at UMass Lowell and Development Service Group, a Washington, D.C.-based think tank, compiled and analyzed a comprehensive dataset of antisemitic incidents in the U.S. between 1990 and 2021. We wanted to understand what factors led to antisemitism. We covered violent antisemitism as well as incidents of antisemitic intimidation and vandalism. We included any attacks against Jews which were motivated by the religious identity of the victims – even if it was motivated by anger about Israeli policies.

Our study, which will be published soon, found a startling new phenomenon: The ideology underlying antisemitism in the U.S. now encompasses both sides of the political spectrum. And it allowed us to develop three other insights regarding the intensifying linkage between the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and antisemitism in the U.S.

1. Antisemitism is not exclusive to the far right
Traditionally, antisemitism in the United States was promoted by far-right organizations and movements, such as the Ku Klux Klan, neo-Nazi groups and skinheads. Such groups focused on propagating traditional antisemitic narratives alleging Jews’ racial inferiority, their control of the financial sector and their role in global cabals aiming to undermine America and Western civilization.

More recently, progressive and left-leaning movements that are critical of Israel’s policies – especially with regard to the Palestinian population in the territories occupied by Israel in 1967 – have become linked to antisemitic practices, too.

In a survey conducted in 2018 in 12 European Union countries among victims of antisemitism, 21% indicated that they were physically or verbally attacked by what participants called “left-wing” activists. In the U.S., our data shows that 95% of antisemitic incidents motivated by Israel’s policies were perpetrated by far-left or unidentified activists. Just 5% were perpetrated by known far-right activists.

Further indication that antisemitic violence is no longer the sole domain of far-right extremists can be gleaned from an analysis of our data that looked at the geographic characteristics of antisemitism.

We find that antisemitic hate crimes are occurring especially in politically progressive areas of the country. The New York metropolitan area and the Northeast in general, and urban centers in Florida, California, the Northwest and the Midwest are experiencing the majority of antisemitic incidents.

While these regions of the U.S. were usually considered hospitable to minorities, our data reflects that in the past decade they are the most substantial hubs of antisemitic violence.

2. US antisemitism is strongly correlated to escalation in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
The outbreak of violence between Israel and Palestinians seems to inflame antisemitism in the U.S. and is exploited to amplify long-standing antisemitic tropes.

Rigorous analysis of our dataset found conclusive evidence that these escalations in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict – such as the violent clashes between Hamas and Israel in the Gaza Strip in the past few years – are accompanied by an increase in antisemitic incidents in the U.S.

For example, in the months leading up to the Israel-Hamas war of May 2021, there was a gradual increase in antisemitic attacks that peaked in May 2021 and gradually declined in the following months.

3. Israel’s policies and antisemitism abroad are connected
The growing connection between Israel’s policies and antisemitic violence abroad, and especially in the U.S., reflects the view among many Americans that American Jews unquestioningly support Israel’s government.

The Anti-Defamation League’s leader put it bluntly when he stated following the May 2021 Israel-Hamas war that “the violence we witnessed in America during the conflict last May was shocking … it seemed as if the working assumption was that if you were Jewish, you were blameworthy for what was happening half a world away.”

Thus, it is not surprising that following the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas attack, Jewish organizations on American campuses became the main targets of violent activism by Palestinian rights supporters. Nor was it surprising that the first reaction of U.S. law enforcement agencies in the wake of the Hamas attack was enhancing the protections of Jewish schools and communal facilities.

4. Antisemitism today exploits long-standing antisemitic tropes
American Jewish communities had traditionally strong links to the state of Israel, and many extended their support in various ways. They included contributing money to Israeli cultural, educational and social institutions, as well as advocating for U.S. support. This was explicit acknowledgment of the importance to the Jewish people of having a homeland.

In recent years, however, many Jewish communities, especially their younger members, became increasingly critical of Israeli policies and the country’s ongoing military control of the occupied Palestinian territories.

Despite such developments within the Jewish community, efforts by organizations sympathetic to the Palestinian cause to link American Jews as a whole to Israel’s policies seem to have intensified. Such linkages reflect an extension of one of the most resilient and long-standing antisemitic tropes, in which American Jews are portrayed as having a dual loyalty and a preference to support Israel’s interests over American ones, especially in times in which they may conflict.

In the past, sentiments regarding American Jews’ alleged dual loyalty were mainly exploited by extremists on the far right. Lately, it seems also to be manifested in left-wing discourse and actions that support or legitimize marginalization of Jews in the U.S. by blaming them for Israel’s policies.

Examples of this new manifestation of antisemitism include the exclusion of American Jewish organizations from progressive campaigns and events and the exclusion of Jewish activists from progressive associations.

Combating the new antisemitism
The reactions to the recent escalation in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict illustrate a profound change in the ideological roots of antisemitism in the U.S.

The many cases in which professional and student associations as well as political organizations were quick both to legitimize Hamas terrorist attacks on Israeli civilians and direct their animosity toward U.S. Jews showing solidarity and sympathy with Israeli victims are prime examples.

That means any effort to combat antisemitism in the U.S. must take into consideration the growing ideological diversity behind contemporary incidents of antisemitism.

Those efforts will need to understand the nuances that shape American Jews’ relationships with Israel – and recognize that despite the substantial progress U.S. Jews experienced in the U.S. in all aspects of public life, antisemitism is still a part of the American political landscape.

Gunny
10-26-2023, 03:11 PM
On point. Basically it's saying that it doesn't matter the politics of Jews, progressive or not. The left and right extremes are anti-Semitic and fall back on the same tropes the Nazis used, popular in Europe since the Middle Ages. :

https://theconversation.com/antisemitism-has-moved-from-the-right-to-the-left-in-the-us-and-falls-back-on-long-standing-stereotypes-215760Seems to me if you're going to have a problem with peoples' religions, maybe pick the ones going around killing in the name of it to focus your hatred on? Just a thought:rolleyes:

I don't get it and I never have. I can come up with a shitload of things people do that piss me off long before I ever get to who they worship on Sat/Sun. Being stupid comes to mind:rolleyes:

Kathianne
10-26-2023, 04:20 PM
Seems to me if you're going to have a problem with peoples' religions, maybe pick the ones going around killing in the name of it to focus your hatred on? Just a thought:rolleyes:

I don't get it and I never have. I can come up with a shitload of things people do that piss me off long before I ever get to who they worship on Sat/Sun. Being stupid comes to mind:rolleyes:

I've always been, "Hey, you be you. As long as you're not in my face." :)

Kathianne
10-26-2023, 05:13 PM
Here's what I agree with. The professor shouldn't be on leave, he should be fired. Every right to express his opinion, totally agree. Totally responsible for owning up to what he said and the university should explain why it was unacceptable. But not Columbia and others. OTOH, it's not illegal and certainly not deportable:

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2023/10/26/cornell-hamas-fan-prof-takes-leave-of-absence-n587856

Cornell Hamas Fan Prof Takes Leave of AbsenceJAZZ SHAW 5:31 PM on October 26, 2023

Cornell Hamas Fan Prof Takes Leave of Absence
(AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Antisemitism and anti-Israel behavior have been popping up on America’s college campuses like tulips in Denmark in the spring lately. The Generalissimo provided a long roundup of some of the worst offenders earlier today, showing that this phenomenon is not limited to the East Coast or only Ivy League schools. The problem is that not much seems to be being done about it aside from some muffled comments about “not representing our school’s values” mixed in with acknowledgments about the freedom to one’s own opinions. That may not be the case at Cornell University in upstate New York, however. That was the scene of one of the most offensive displays last week when associate professor of history Russell Rickford was caught on video addressing a crowd of cheering Hamas supporters waving Palestinian flags. He told the crowd that the attacks on October 7 were “exhilarating” and “energizing.” He later tried to walk back the remarks after he went viral, but now Professor Rickford has been placed on a “leave of absence” for at least the rest of the semester. (NY Post)

The Cornell professor who called the Hamas terror attack on Israel “exhilarating” and “energizing” is now on a leave of absence until at least the end of the semester.

Russell Rickford, an associate professor of history, went viral for the incendiary remarks to students during a pro-Palestinian protest soon after the surprise attack on Israel killed 1,400 people, mostly civilians…

After initially standing by his statements, the embattled professor later apologized “for the horrible choice of words,” admitting they were ‘reprehensible” — before his students were told he would no longer teach this semester.

“Professor Russell Rickford has requested and received approval to take a leave of absence from the university,” the Ivy League school confirmed to the campus newspaper, the Cornell Review.

Apparently, the public pressure to ditch Rickford had grown too great even for the liberal administration at Cornell. Someone had started an online petition at change.org calling for his removal and it quickly garnered more than ten thousand signatures. Both Democratic Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and the district’s Congresswoman, Claudia Tenney had called for his resignation. The President of the University and the head of the Board of Trustees issued a joint statement calling Rickford’s comments “reprehensible.”

But let’s not be rushing to applaud Cornell too quickly here because they aren’t exactly covering themselves in glory. Even while the administration was calling his remarks “reprehensible,” they weren’t taking any action. They simply said they were “conducting an investigation.” So what was there to investigate? They had the video and Rickford had already admitted to saying what he said and begun trying to walk it back.

So how was it that he was kept around and then allowed to request a “leave of absence” and be granted one? That means he’s still associated with the university even if he’s not actively teaching. He might still be drawing his salary for all we know. The school didn’t specify that in the press release and when the school paper asked for clarification about his status they were simply referred to the President’s original statement of condemnation.

Why isn’t there more of this going on at other school’s around the country? Both students and professors should be allowed to voice unpopular opinions if they wish, but is there nowhere that we can draw a line in the sand? Many of these same schools have no problem at all chasing conservative speakers off their campuses. But a professor can stand out in the public square and celebrate the mass slaughter of Jews and not face immediate dismissal?

It will only be when this new, flourishing generation of antisemitic Nazis begin facing financial as well as social consequences for their behavior that we might start seeing some changes and potentially the restoration of order. It’s truly ironic how the same noisy groups who constantly berate us about the history of slavery and oppression that other minorities have endured have suddenly been revealed as being totally fine with the genocide of the Jewish people.

Kathianne
10-26-2023, 05:21 PM
More, this echoes David Mamet strongly:

https://hotair.com/generalissimo/2023/10/26/academia-anti-semitism-its-not-just-happening-at-elite-schools-in-the-east-n587738

Academia Anti-Semitism: It's Not Just Happening At Elite Schools In The EastDUANE PATTERSON 5:01 PM on October 26, 2023

Academia Anti-Semitism: It's Not Just Happening At Elite Schools In The East

It has become disturbingly all too familiar after the 10/7 massacre of 1,400 Israelis, thus far, by the Nazi death squads sent by Hamas and Iran out of Gaza. At what used to be considered elite institutions of higher learning, the rush to defend the butchery as justified have broken out at places like Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, and Northwestern.

Yale, in their quest to never cede any high ground to Harvard on anything, decided to get into the anti-Semitism game with their own series of protests.

At George Washington University, after anti-Semitic statements were projected onto school buildings for hours Tuesday night, the university has now decided to cancel an upcoming diversity summit out of respect for the anti-Israel protesters. Irony is officially dead on that campus.

In 1860, Abraham Lincoln delivered a speech that remains one of the most important and long-lasting moral markers for what should be understood as right and wrong in America at Cooper Union College in New York. On Wednesday, Jewish student literally were trapped for the afternoon in the school’s library as the anti-Semitic barbarians were quite literally at the door.

At Brandeis University, a non-sectarian Jewish university in Massachusetts founded after World War II, saw their student government vote down overwhelmingly a resolution condemning the pogrom conducted by Hamas on October 7th.

But lest you think this rot on campuses is contained to schools east of the Mississippi, don’t be fooled. Academia has been for years, and is currently, poisoning the minds of young people from coast to coast.

At the University of Washington-Seattle, an anti-Semitic rally was held on campus, and protesters there said the quiet part out loud. We don’t want Israel to exist. We don’t want pro-Israel counter-protesters on campus here to exist.

KTTH-AM770 host Jason Rantz got a statement from the office of U. Washington-Seattle President Ana Mari Cauce. This was their response after a rally on her campus called for the extinction of Jews in Israel and on her campus.

We understand the fear the Jewish community is feeling during this very difficult time. We are aware of events such as today’s walk-out, which are not condoned or otherwise supported by the University. The UW’s Division of Campus Community Safety staff are working to ensure safety for the campus community. This has been and will likely continue to be a difficult academic year in ways none of us could have foreseen before October 7. We are dedicated to the safety of our Jewish community members and to maintaining UW as a place where every student knows that they are welcome and supported.

I seem to recall a period of time not too long ago on college campuses across the country, when the subject was the rights of black lives, and then a little later when the narrative related to members of the LGBT community. Hate has no home here. Love is love. Black lives matter. Coexist (with all the religious symbols substituted in for the letters). Those slogans were all the rage. They don’t see very applicable now when all the target of the hate, the lack of tolerance, is aimed at Jews.

At UC Berkeley, Professor Victoria Huynh offered her class on Wednesday extra credit for attending an anti-Semitic Jew-hating rally on campus at Sproul Plaza.

And at Stanford University, the Palestinian Diaspora students, their moniker, not mine, a list of demands were issued to school administration officials.

Here’s just a partial list of their non-negotiables.

Stanford issues an explicit condemnation of Israel’s war crimes and calls for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.

Stanford provides dedicated resources for Palestinian and Palestinian Diaspora students on campus, developed in conversation with SJP, ASAS, and MSU.

Included in this section is this demand.

Full round trip covered by University upon the signing of a ceasefire for students to visit their family and friends and grieve properly.

The demand screed continues.

Stanford establishes an investigative committee to correct the directives, faculty, and research initiatives contributing to subjugation of Palestinian people.

Included in this section are demands to out the secret Jew money flowing to the University, and demanding that all tech research and development be catered to providing relief to Palestinians in Gaza.

And my personal favorite, the demand that Stanford officially adopt as school policy economic anti-Semitism, the BDS movement.

Stanford commits to the Palestinian movement to Boycott, Divest from and Sanction Israeli entities and companies complicit in Israeli war crimes.

As I said, this moral rot is pervasive all across the country. It would probably be a shorter list to show schools that don’t have a metastasizing anti-Semitism problem, rather than shaming and outing the ones that do. So what to do?

As the Boss wrote yesterday, take the federal government out of the financing of university education business. He’s absolutely right. But that’s only one step.

Polling shows that Americans of parent or grandparent age are vastly supportive of Israel when it comes to this conflict with the Palestinians. They’re horrified at what they’re seeing in the Middle East, and they’re horrified by what they’re seeing on college campuses here. But while horror at seeing 20th Century Nazism and hate rebranded under a new header in the United States well into the 21st Century is an appropriate reaction, we in this generation have to do something substantive about it. High school seniors are in college application season. Until now, the politics and curriculum being taught on campus was secondary to the prestige of the school to which students are applying, what their acceptance rate is, and how much it’s going to cost. That all has to change. I would venture to say that most parents love their kids. Most grandparents love their grandkids, and would do anything in the world to support them – emotionally and financially, when it comes to embarking on their collegiate career, if that’s indeed their goal. Now imagine seeing your kid go off to begin their freshman year and by the time they come home four years later, if they come home, they’re Jew-hating genocidal maniacs. The paradigm of a school’s name value and/or prestige needs to go out the window. It should no longer be of any consideration, if you truly care about the health, well-being and future of your child.

If you’re a grandparent and your grandson or granddaughter comes to you and says, “Hey, I just got accepted to Columbia, can I count on you to pitch in and help out,” you have a moral obligation to say that because I love you and care about what you become, no. Normal people have to say no to spending money on education that is literally poisoning and ruining the single greatest asset they have in their lives – their kids. Just say no. You have to limit your available college help to schools and universities that aren’t pandering to anti-Semites. Woke is bad enough. 21st Century Nazism is much worse.

I have been pleased to see private foundations and some corporate CEO’s that serve on boards of colleges take stands against this anti-Semitic garbage, closing off the purse strings to future grants and/or donations to their alma maters. That is a huge step. But it’s not enough. If you’re the CEO of a company, large or small, you owe it not only to the health of your own company and your customers, you also owe it to the country, to put a hiring filter against people that come out of the worst anti-Semitic offenders in academia. You have to do more due diligence on applicants’ social media postings. You have every legal right to not hire modern-day equivalents to Hitler youth. That’s bad for the bottom line. If you run a charter school, you wouldn’t want to hire Nazis working for you as teachers any more than you would want to hire Communist Chinese Party agents, convicted pedophiles, Ku Klux Klan members, or any other fringe elements.

This is not a Constitutional issue. Every wingnut in this country has the Constitutional right to be an anti-Semitic creep if they so choose to be. But you also in this country bear the responsibility to be held accountable for your words and deeds. If you’re a Wiccan, you’re allowed to be a Wiccan. It also probably means you’re probably not the right fit as a hire for a Christian private school.

We can’t count on the Democratic Party to rein in the anti-Semitism that is raging in their midst. They will instead try to point to J-6 Republicanism and Donald Trump as the biggest domestic threat facing our democracy. The Republicans just found a new Johnson to be the mayor of Rock Ridge, er, the Speaker of the House of Representatives. I hope Speaker Johnson and the House GOP conference rebounds from their month-long national embarrassment and begins to focus once again on things that matter. Robust support for Israel, both verbally as well as financially, would be a good start. But as is the case with most of the important things, government is not the answer. You and I will ultimately be the answer. We can’t just vote with our feet, although turning out raging anti-Semites politicians, regardless of party, is essential. But we have to use our eyes and ears, recognize what is going on in the culture around us, and make a conscious decision not to contribute to academia absorbing another generation of our kids. Your acceptance rate of colleges needs to be as stringent, and actually more so, than their acceptance rate of applicants.

Gunny
10-28-2023, 09:15 AM
More, this echoes David Mamet strongly:

https://hotair.com/generalissimo/2023/10/26/academia-anti-semitism-its-not-just-happening-at-elite-schools-in-the-east-n587738Amazing that "higher learning" by the "enlightened" not only tolerates, but now represents and teaches this trash. Those aren't just community colleges listed. Revered institutions of higher learning.

Hate. It's what makes the World go round:rolleyes:

Kathianne
10-28-2023, 09:24 AM
Amazing that "higher learning" by the "enlightened" not only tolerates, but now represents and teaches this trash. Those aren't just community colleges listed. Revered institutions of higher learning.

Hate. It's what makes the World go round:rolleyes:

I think this whole 'Israel as oppressor' has put the intersectionality issue into a clear image. I doubt many, myself included, really understood what was meant by all the nonsense over the past decade or more of said term, microaggressions, etc. Now it's made clear. What irritates them, (campus professors and students over the past 10-20 years), can be seen as violent acts against them if not immediately and fully dealt with as they deem necessary. Their understanding, beyond anything members of any groups, whether they are a member of or not, could possibly understand or appreciate, supersedes any other possible explanations or remedies without question. Thus they are the final arbiter of truth for members of all races, religions, sexual preferences, eye color, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and any other differences by genetics or choice.

However because of their deep and total understanding of all issues they deem of interest, they are the final and only judge of what is true and actionable. Violence is the only recourse to any challenge.

Gunny
10-28-2023, 09:30 AM
I think this whole 'Israel as oppressor' has put the intersectionality issue into a clear image. I doubt many, myself included, really understood what was meant by all the nonsense over the past decade or more of said term, microaggressions, etc. Now it's made clear. What irritates them, (campus professors and students over the past 10-20 years), can be seen as violent acts against them if not immediately and fully dealt with as they deem necessary. Their understanding, beyond anything members of any groups, whether they are a member of or not, could possibly understand or appreciate, supersedes any other possible explanations or remedies without question. Thus they are the final arbiter of truth for members of all races, religions, sexual preferences, eye color, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and any other differences by genetics or choice.

However because of their deep and total understanding of all issues they deem of interest, they are the final and only judge of what is true and actionable. Violence is the only recourse to any challenge.

That's the best explanation in writing I have seen in years. These are the very same people that are supposed to be teaching the logic that violence is a means of last resort, not a knee-jerk remedy. So disagreeing with their august wisdom/knowledge invokes the means of last resort to silence dissenters?

These institutions and people have become as morally corrupt as anyone they accuse.