PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Is That One Complaint Rule Still There In The House?

Kathianne
10-27-2023, 08:57 PM
Looks like it's going to be invoked again...

https://justthenews.com/government/security/vance-frets-over-speaker-johnsons-concerning-ukraine-remarks?utm_source=justthenews.com&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=external-news-aggregators

Vance frets over Speaker Johnson's 'concerning' Ukraine remarksJohnson, in a Thursday interview on Fox News, stated that "we can’t allow Vladimir Putin to prevail in Ukraine, because I don’t believe it would stop there."

By Ben Whedon
Published: October 27, 2023 3:23pm

Ohio Republican Sen. J.D. Vance has expressed concerns over remarks from House Speaker Mike Johnson, a longtime opponent of Ukraine aid, suggesting he has become open to provide Kyiv with more war funding.

Johnson has largely opposed efforts to supply Ukraine's military amid the ongoing Russian invasion, though since becoming speaker, he has hinted that the lower chamber may approve some funding in the end.

"To his great credit, the new speaker has been a stalwart on the Ukraine issue—voting consistently against an endless conflict with no plan from the Biden administration," Vance said on Friday. "It’s concerning to see him change his tune so quickly after being elevated to this role."

Johnson, in a Thursday interview on Fox News, stated that "we can’t allow Vladimir Putin to prevail in Ukraine, because I don’t believe it would stop there, and it would probably encourage and empower China to perhaps make a move on Taiwan. We have these concerns."

He did, however, assert that the chamber had an obligation to spend taxpayer dollars responsibly.

"We’re not going to abandon them. But we have a responsibility, a stewardship responsibility, over the precious treasure of the American people. And we have to make sure that the White House is providing the people with some accountability for the dollars," he continued.

President Joe Biden has put forward a funding request including $61 billion for Ukraine and $14 billion for Israel. Vance, for his part, joined with other Senate Republicans on Thursday to introduce a bill to solely fund Israel amid its conflict with Hamas.

Gunny
10-28-2023, 09:35 AM
Looks like it's going to be invoked again...

https://justthenews.com/government/security/vance-frets-over-speaker-johnsons-concerning-ukraine-remarks?utm_source=justthenews.com&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=external-news-aggregators

I do not see where the Republican party and definitely not the American people are better off now than we were last month. This guy represents everything wrong the Freedom Caucus represents.

Our government in action. Good tv for the daytime talk show and soap crowd:rolleyes:

Kathianne
10-28-2023, 09:38 AM
I do not see where the Republican party and definitely not the American people are better off now than we were last month. This guy represents everything wrong the Freedom Caucus represents.

Our government in action. Good tv for the daytime talk show and soap crowd:rolleyes:

I try to give anyone 'just elected' a chance, whether my choice or not. His changing tone a bit regarding Ukraine struck me as favorable, in the sense that he at least seemed willing to keep an open mind and hear the 'other side.' Of course someone like Vance steps in and says, 'keep the goose step or you're toast!' Now we'll see if he's his own man or as swampy as he first appeared.

Kathianne
10-28-2023, 10:10 AM
I try to give anyone 'just elected' a chance, whether my choice or not. His changing tone a bit regarding Ukraine struck me as favorable, in the sense that he at least seemed willing to keep an open mind and hear the 'other side.' Of course someone like Vance steps in and says, 'keep the goose step or you're toast!' Now we'll see if he's his own man or as swampy as he first appeared.
Part of 'giving a chance':

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2023/10/28/the-new-speaker-will-separate-ukraine-and-israel-funding-n588302

Gunny
10-28-2023, 10:34 AM
Part of 'giving a chance':

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2023/10/28/the-new-speaker-will-separate-ukraine-and-israel-funding-n588302I saw this. My cynical default goes straight to: can still find Israel while trying to cut out Ukraine.

The big picture problem I have with ANY of this "not our business: types is that they hold positions of power; yet, possess zero foresight/clarity of vision. Both Israel and Ukraine affect us/the World and the die was cast long ago. We are committed. Claiming we are not and trying to play disinterested bystander does as much to affect World order as direct involvement. We're a major play and that's that. Anyone not working from that position doesn't need to be teaching World history much less in the position of governing in a vaccum.

Kathianne
10-28-2023, 10:37 AM
I saw this. My cynical default goes straight to: can still find Israel while trying to cut out Ukraine.

The big picture problem I have with ANY of this "not our business: types is that they hold positions of power; yet, possess zero foresight/clarity of vision. Both Israel and Ukraine affect us/the World and the die was cast long ago. We are committed. Claiming we are not and trying to play disinterested bystander does as much to affect World order as direct involvement. We're a major play and that's that. Anyone not working from that position doesn't need to be teaching World history much less in the position of governing in a vaccum.

I agree, which you know. At the same time I will give someone in his position reasonable time to get a big picture. I'm assuming he will be getting info from previous/fellow leaders, including McCarthy and Scalise and Jordan. This guy is #3 now in succession, unless Vance or Gaetz or Mickey Mouse decide to remove him this afternoon.

Gunny
10-28-2023, 10:45 AM
I agree, which you know. At the same time I will give someone in his position reasonable time to get a big picture. I'm assuming he will be getting info from previous/fellow leaders, including McCarthy and Scalise and Jordan. This guy is #3 now in succession, unless Vance or Gaetz or Mickey Mouse decide to remove him this afternoon.

Not like we have much choice beyond wait and watch. IIRC, one of his ideas is an 8% government spending cut. Dead in the water in both Senate and WH.

Referencing previous post, I'm all for and have been bitching all for one item at a time since I had hair. If he wants to split Israel/Ukraine, he's needs to divvy out ALL that crap. No quicker way to expose pork (or whatever they call it these days, I forget). No better way for even the simple minded in the public to understand one thing at a time getting equal exposure/scrutiny.

As far as Johnson goes, of course he gets the "we'll see". Prior stances do not bode well. We'll see does he stick to them now that his responsibility has been upped.