PDA

View Full Version : Video of Deadly Friendly Fire Incident in Iraq Surfaces

-Cp
02-06-2007, 02:11 PM
A video of the alleged friendly fire death of a British soldier in Iraq surfaced early Tuesday, despite the Pentagon's refusal to release the classified evidence.

The tape, which was obtained by Britain's The Sun newspaper, reportedly captures the voices of two American pilots immediately after they mistakenly opened fire on British military convoy near Basra, Iraq, on March 28, 2003.

"God damn it," one of the pilots shouts.

"We're in jail, dude," another responds.

Lance Corporal of Horse Matty Hull, 25, died of injuries sustained as the American A-10 "tankbuster" aircraft pumped 500-rounds per second into Hull's unit.

A British investigation into the 25-year-old's death was adjourned last week after the coroner said he "had no choice" but to delay his verdict because the because the U.S. refused to release the tape.

"A copy of the video was used as evidence by the Board of Inquiry's investigation into the incident. ...This recording is the property of the United States government and the MoD does not have the right to release it without their permission," a spokeswoman for the U.K. Ministry of Defense said.

The incident has been a sore spot with some British lawmakers who have demanded that U.S. soldiers involved in friendly fire incidents attend U.K. hearings. The U.S. has denied requests for serveicemen to appear in court, but does submit anonymous statements on each case.

Sources said last week that the original tape, which the Ministry of Defense claimed did not exist, was "incriminating" and contained the line: "Someone's going to jail for this."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250418,00.html

Hobbit
02-06-2007, 04:02 PM
I'd have to see more info on the case (e.g. WHY they fired on the convoy, what intel they had, etc.) before a final verdict, but, all else remaining equal, I'd rather err on the side of our soldiers and not send them abroad to stand trial for anything they did in their official capacity as American servicemen. The military doesn't take mistakes likely and they will have to face what they did, and that should be enough. As far as the, "We're going to jail for this," comment, I have a feeling that has to do with the fact that far too many people are blamethirsty for everything that goes wrong, and they were afraid of prosecution because other service members have been held on flimsier evidence (Haditha anyone?). Mistakes get made, and there's a difference between a mistake and a crime. If it was a crime, they'll do the time. If it was a mistake, they'll be reprimanded and likely never do it again.

Gaffer
02-06-2007, 05:23 PM
One of the problems from the begining has been too many lawyers running things in the war zone. Not only are the politicians meddling but the trial lawyers are right on their tail too.

Tho every precaution is taken there is still going to be friendly fire accidents. These pilots didn't attack the Brits on purpose. What needs to be investigated is what went wrong and how do we fix it.

Hagbard Celine
02-06-2007, 05:48 PM
I doubt they'll be prosecuted. It appears that they made the mistake because they were given inaccurate information on their targets. That's not their fault. Sucks for the dead UK soldiers and their families though.

Gunny
02-06-2007, 06:58 PM
One of the problems from the begining has been too many lawyers running things in the war zone. Not only are the politicians meddling but the trial lawyers are right on their tail too.

Tho every precaution is taken there is still going to be friendly fire accidents. These pilots didn't attack the Brits on purpose. What needs to be investigated is what went wrong and how do we fix it.

ITA. I've seen the same thing happen during peacetime, while on live-fire exercises, here in the states. The precautions taken are about as stringent as they can be, and STILL, accidents are going to happen.

trobinett
02-06-2007, 08:39 PM
JHC, leave the war to the warriors.

The attorney's, and the media have NO BUSINESS complicating, what is already a VERY complicated situation.

I'm very disturbed, that its gone this far. These troops are under enough pressure as it is. Do they need to be "second guessed" by people not on the ground?

I don't know how this war could be made more complicated, but all one needs to do is watch us, and it will be made crystal clear.

I'm totally ashamed.:banned: