PDA

View Full Version : Fred Thompson disappears from campaign trail, cancels events

JackDaniels
10-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Everything said about this guy previously was correct...he doesn't have what it takes.

After first debate, Thompson disappears from campaign trail, cancels event in New Hampshire

By Philip Elliott
ASSOCIATED PRESS

1:28 p.m. October 14, 2007

MANCHESTER, N.H. – Mitt Romney was in Michigan, Colorado, Arizona and Nevada and then went back to Michigan. Rudy Giuliani visited Florida, Michigan, South Carolina, Alabama, Washington and New Hampshire. John McCain went from Michigan to Iowa to New Hampshire.

But where was Fred, as in Fred Thompson?

Besides participating in his first presidential debate in Michigan last Tuesday, Thompson was missing from the campaign trail. The former Tennessee senator and star of NBC's “Law & Order” was scheduled to be in New Hampshire this weekend, but canceled.

New Hampshire voters noticed.

“He's a late entry. That will probably hurt him,” said Geri Gormley, of Bow, who visited with McCain but remains uncommitted. “We're grass roots. Candidates come up and pick our brains, one on one. We had (Barack) Obama's staff come to our door today. That's good strategy.”

Thompson was supposed to visit a fundraising breakfast for Manchester Mayor Frank Guinta on Friday. But on Thursday afternoon, Guinta's campaign e-mailed guests to let them know it wasn't happening. The note cited “scheduling conflicts for the senator.”

Thompson is scheduled to surface on Monday for a Fox News Channel interview, and evening remarks to the Conservative Party of New York.

Thompson has been to New Hampshire just once since he formally entered the race in September, and that was for a two-day trip that included visits to a chili cook-off, three bars and a rally. The New Hampshire Union Leader, the state's largest newspaper, said in an editorial last week that Thompson's pledge to campaign here often hasn't proved true.

The newspaper suggested Thompson speak to McCain, “who knows a thing or two about winning New Hampshire primaries. You can't do it if you don't show up,” the editorial said.

Thompson aides say he also plans stops this week in Washington, Georgia and Florida. A longer visit to New Hampshire is coming, but has not yet been scheduled.

New Hampshire voters on Sunday expressed a range of opinions about Thompson.

“I like him, but he won't make it,” said Claire Roy, a Manchester Republican who, like most voters, remains undecided. “He started too late to begin with. I don't think he's presidential material. That's the way I look at it.”

Added Ann Essensa, an independent voter from Exeter who visited Giuliani on Sunday: “I don't know enough about (Thompson) yet. I haven't seen him yet.”

Norma Champagne, a Manchester Republican, seemed willing to give Thompson a chance.

“He hasn't turned anyone off,” said Champagne, who visited an AARP forum this weekend. “He did that other debate and he did very well.”

From: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20071014-1328-wheresfred.html

stephanie
10-15-2007, 02:56 PM
We'll see...

The campaigning started so early this, I'm pretty much sick of it already..

trobinett
10-16-2007, 06:13 PM
So he doesn't show for a "soft" schedule date, and he's toast?

Apply the same reasoning to the rest of the field.:slap:

Mr. P
10-16-2007, 06:32 PM
We'll see...

The campaigning started so early this, I'm pretty much sick of it already..

Maybe Fred doesn't want to join the circus and be part of a side show.

Maybe he wants to really run for President.

Time will tell.

stephanie
10-16-2007, 06:39 PM

Time will tell.

I totally agree..

typomaniac
10-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Maybe he couldn't take the heat when the story broke about his gay relationships. :D

10-16-2007, 07:26 PM
maybe he has medical reasons for not campaigning at the moment and doesnt want to disclose them to the public.

PostmodernProphet
10-17-2007, 06:59 AM
a new paradigm for American politics?....."vote for me even if I didn't kiss your baby"?

theHawk
10-17-2007, 08:47 AM
It'd be a shame if he dropped off the radar...
One of my favorite quotes from Thompson:

Well, in the first place, I don't buy the concept that any reduction in taxes is lost revenue to the government. The taxpayers haven't lost it. It's in their pocket. They know exactly where to find it. We shouldn't confuse the wealth of government with the wealth of nations. Just because the money's sent to Washington doesn't mean that the people are any richer. In fact, it's just the opposite is the case.

truthmatters
10-17-2007, 09:05 AM
maybe he has medical reasons for not campaigning at the moment and doesnt want to disclose them to the public.

Good point ,he does have incurable cancer after all.

jimnyc
10-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Good point ,he does have incurable cancer after all.

His cancer is in remission and there is no longer any signs of it's existence. Hematology/Oncology experts have stated such patients can live a normal life span. Please get educated properly.

10-17-2007, 09:22 AM
His cancer is in remission and there is no longer any signs of it's existence. Hematology/Oncology experts have stated such patients can live a normal life span. Please get educated properly.

Yes it is Jimmy. But I think she was trying to say that my point that he might have a legitimate reason for not campaigning at the moment. I dont know what that might be but he has had medical issues so maybe he is just getting a check up and doesnt want to talk about it in the media to worry people.

We still have till January before the games really begin. we have plenty of time for campaigning

glockmail
10-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Everything said about this guy previously was correct...he doesn't have what it takes.

Who cares? Got any pics of his Trophy Wife?

Gaffer
10-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Fred worries the libs. He's staying out of the limelight until the time is right.

typomaniac
10-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Fred worries the libs. He's staying out of the limelight until the time is right.
The only way the libs could be worried about Fred is if they thought he was about to try to butt-rape one of them.

glockmail
10-17-2007, 12:27 PM
The only way the libs could be worried about Fred is if they thought he was about to try to butt-rape one of them.
Why, do you have evidence that Fred's a butt pirate? Or is this just another liberal attack on what liberals tout as healthy and natural behavior for queers?

:lol:

JohnDoe
10-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Why, do you have evidence that Fred's a butt pirate? Or is this just another liberal attack on what liberals tout as healthy and natural behavior for queers?

good question! typo has made 2 comments with the same ''tone'', he needs to spill the beans on what he is implying and why!!!

jd

glockmail
10-17-2007, 01:36 PM
good question! typo has made 2 comments with the same ''tone'', he needs to spill the beans on what he is implying and why!!!

jd

It seems to me that he always uses "gay" and "queer behaivior" as an insult.

April15
10-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Fred may have had a slight stroke during the debate that hasn't been caught until now.

typomaniac
10-17-2007, 02:46 PM

jd

Actually this is fairly old news: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=6881

actsnoblemartin
10-17-2007, 03:16 PM
fred's not gay, he had to work late on an svu episode. :lol:

Actually this is fairly old news: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=6881

REDWHITEBLUE2
10-17-2007, 03:34 PM

Time will tell. And Ron Paul is the clown

REDWHITEBLUE2
10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
The only way the libs could be worried about Fred is if they thought he was about to try to butt-rape one of them.IF He was a butt pirate he be a democrat :ahole:

typomaniac
10-17-2007, 04:09 PM

Another :lame2: glockmail lie. Liberals support consensual butt sex, not butt rape. It's only the rightwads that love rape, when they get a chance to do it. Especially the economic kind. :laugh:

April15
10-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Another :lame2: glockmail lie. Liberals support consensual butt sex, not butt rape. It's only the rightwads that love rape, when they get a chance to do it. Especially the economic kind. :laugh:Out of reps for you.

glockmail
10-17-2007, 06:26 PM
....It's only the rightwads that love rape... Gee, I missed that on the latest GOP platform memo. Where is it stated?

10-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Another :lame2: glockmail lie. Liberals support consensual butt sex, not butt rape. It's only the rightwads that love rape, when they get a chance to do it. Especially the economic kind. :laugh:

Gerry Studds.

Nuff said.

typomaniac
10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Gee, I missed that on the latest GOP platform memo. Where is it stated?

I think Larry Craig sneaked it in at a committee meeting. :finger3: