PDA

View Full Version : I put this here

Said1
10-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Because I thought everyone might be interested in seeing the photos from the funeral procession I witnessed today. Several of my co-workers knew this man and we were all allowed to go outside and watch the procession, then walk over to the church if we wanted.

It was a very emotional experience. There were literally hundreds of mounties, police officers military personnel, fire fighters etc everywhere, not included in the procession. Not to mention the people on the sidewalks.

The picture below doesn't do it justice, there were literally hundreds of mounties.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Said1/450_cp_procession_071015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Said1/450_cp_casket_071015-1.jpg

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071014/rcmp_funeral_071015/20071015?hub=TopStories

lain Mountie remembered as 'caring' man

Updated Mon. Oct. 15 2007 2:35 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

RCMP Const. Chris Worden was remembered Monday in Ottawa as "a compassionate, caring and gentle man" dedicated to his wife and excited about his role as a new father.

Worden, from Ottawa, was shot to death on Oct. 6 at a suspected drug house in the Northwest Territories.

Mounties on horseback, a pipe band and police officers in dress uniform from across the country marched through the streets of Ottawa ahead of the regimental funeral service.

Worden's widow Jodie held their infant daughter Alexis in her arms on the steps of Notre Dame Basilica on Sussex Drive as she watched the procession from Parliament Hill to the church.

Const. Mike Carter delivered a eulogy to a crowd of 300 seated inside the church. He described the 30-year-old father as "one of the greatest guys we've ever know."

"You will each have your own shared moments with Chris. Remember them and share them so Alexis will know what a wonderful man her father was," Carter said, choking back tears.

A large television monitor broadcasted the funeral outside the church, where hundreds of additional mourners, many of them Mounties in red serge, watched on.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson was among the dignitaries in attendance.

RCMP Commissioner William Elliott, along with former commissioners Giuliano Zaccardelli and Phil Murray were also on hand.

Many of those who attended were Worden's fellow alumni from Wilfred Laurier University. Worden was an avid Golden Hawks football fan and former player, CTV's David Akin said on Monday from Ottawa.

He died during an early-morning call to a notorious dwelling in Hay River, N.W.T., a community of about 3,600 located on the south shore of Great Slave Lake. He was alone at the time.

Canadians have already given messages of support for Worden's family, posting their condolences on a special website set up by the RCMP -- and on Sunday the website appeared to have crashed from heavy traffic.

"The past few days have been trying for our members in the Northwest Territories and across Canada," the RCMP said in a release. "These words of sympathy and support are very meaningful to us and reflect the strong relationships and commitments we have to the communities we serve."

Worden's colleagues have created a trust fund for his daughter. Donations may be made at any CIBC branch by quoting account number 2784033 and transit number 03192.

Police analyst John Muise told CTV Newsnet on Monday that even though most of the officers travelling to Ottawa never knew Worden, they still feel a very strong connection to him because of the job.

"The nature of the work is that you rely on somebody to come and help you with backup, to keep you safe, many of us have had incidents where a fellow officer has potentially saved your life," said Muise, a spokesperson for the Canadian Centre for Abuse Awareness and 30-year police veteran.

Emrah Bulatci, the 23-year-old suspect in the shooting, was arrested Friday by Edmonton police after a seven-hour standoff. Bulatci will face charges of first-degree murder back in the Northwest Territories.

Another individual, 21-year-old Jarred Dale Nagle, is charged with being an accessory after the fact to murder.

Kathianne
10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Beautiful service. Police do take care of their own. 30 Years old, that's so sad.

diuretic
10-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Very sad. I was in Canada when the four RCMP officers were murdered in Alberta and again when Const. Valerie Gignac was murdered in Lavalle, Quebec. I'm now wondering why Const Worden was working alone, not a good situation to be in, sometimes it's unavoidable I know, but it's never desirable.

Vale Const Worden.

Said1
10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Very sad. I was in Canada when the four RCMP officers were murdered in Alberta and again when Const. Valerie Gignac was murdered in Lavalle, Quebec. I'm now wondering why Const Worden was working alone, not a good situation to be in, sometimes it's unavoidable I know, but it's never desirable.

Vale Const Worden.

I'm sure it's not the best situation to be in, (especially in communities with a high aboriginal population) but it's not unusual for police officers to be working alone. I know a few women from the reserve up there......typical of what you see on norther isolated. communities - substance abuse, violence etc, etc.

dan
10-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Very sad. I was in Canada when the four RCMP officers were murdered in Alberta and again when Const. Valerie Gignac was murdered in Lavalle, Quebec.

Sounds like we should start keeping a closer eye on Diuretic, during those "business" trips he's taking.:poke:

Not to make light of a sad situation. That's very moving to see such reverence for an officer lost. The only thing we do with our deceased down here is sell photos of them.

Said1
10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Sounds like we should start keeping a closer eye on Diuretic, during those "business" trips he's taking.:poke:

Not to make light of a sad situation. That's very moving to see such reverence for an officer lost. The only thing we do with our deceased down here is sell photos of them.

It was very moving. The Royal Mounted Police is a major Canadian tradition (I'm sure you know that being a 'Canadian-whatever-you-called-it') but I'm not sure why there was such a big deal made out of this officer's death. Probably because he's from Ottawa and when we can pull out the big stuff, the feds usually spring for it. Not to make light of the situation either, it's just that this officer received more ceremony than the others. We do take their deaths in the in the line of duty very seriously though.

diuretic
10-15-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm sure it's not the best situation to be in, (especially in communities with a high aboriginal population) but it's not unusual for police officers to be working alone. I know a few women from the reserve up there......typical of what you see on norther isolated. communities - substance abuse, violence etc, etc.

It's not unusual indeed. I've worked in a few outback communities by myself, the nearest assistance was usually one bloke an hour away by Landrover over dirt tracks. It does teach you to be self-sufficient but it's not desirable.

I haven't been to the NWT but I would think it would share many similarities with the isolated aboriginal communities here - substance abuse, domestic and ordinary violence, yes, very similar.

diuretic
10-15-2007, 07:15 PM

I know what you mean, I was starting to get a complex about it.

diuretic
10-15-2007, 07:17 PM
It was very moving. The Royal Mounted Police is a major Canadian tradition (I'm sure you know that being a 'Canadian-whatever-you-called-it') but I'm not sure why there was such a big deal made out of this officer's death. Probably because he's from Ottawa and when we can pull out the big stuff, the feds usually spring for it. Not to make light of the situation either, it's just that this officer received more ceremony than the others. We do take their deaths in the in the line of duty very seriously though.

It's not given such a huge coverage here, Canadians are definitely more respectful of their police than are Australians.

Said1
10-15-2007, 07:35 PM
It's not unusual indeed. I've worked in a few outback communities by myself, the nearest assistance was usually one bloke an hour away by Landrover over dirt tracks. It does teach you to be self-sufficient but it's not desirable.

I thought you'd have some experience with that. I'm not sure if the people who were involved in his death were native, but you obviously get the picture. The activities on the reserves certainly spill over to the outlying communities. and vis-versa of course.

I haven't been to the NWT but I would think it would share many similarities with the isolated aboriginal communities here - substance abuse, domestic and ordinary violence, yes, very similar.

Yes. You're exactly right.

manu1959
10-15-2007, 08:18 PM
I know what you mean, I was starting to get a complex about it.

any chance you can come to california sometime soon?.......:poke:

diuretic
10-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Well last time I was in California (only overnight in the Bay area) I'm happy to say no cops were murdered there.

Gaffer
10-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Well last time I was in California (only overnight in the Bay area) I'm happy to say no cops were murdered there.

That's cause the cops there aren't allowed to do anything.

diuretic
10-15-2007, 09:21 PM
That's cause the cops there aren't allowed to do anything.

I've seen them at work - they do plenty :laugh2:

Said1
10-16-2007, 06:40 PM
A bit of footage from the procession, if anyone is interested.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/266982

Kathianne
10-16-2007, 06:49 PM
A bit of footage from the procession, if anyone is interested.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/266982

It was a funeral worthy of a policeman that did his duty. I'm sure his daughter will be able to view the tapes, when she is older. I disagree with those that say other countries, cities value their protectors less. I know my bro has been to so many funerals, from as far away as CA. Why? Because the police know they need to stake a claim for heroes. They are.

Cheyenne
10-16-2007, 09:06 PM
What a beautiful display at such a sad time.

Said1
10-16-2007, 09:18 PM
It was a funeral worthy of a policeman that did his duty. I'm sure his daughter will be able to view the tapes, when she is older. I disagree with those that say other countries, cities value their protectors less. I know my bro has been to so many funerals, from as far away as CA. Why? Because the police know they need to stake a claim for heroes. They are.

Like I said, this officer was given much more ceremony than others - more than likely due to him being from Ottawa.

Kathianne
10-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Like I said, this officer was given much more ceremony than others - more than likely due to him being from Ottawa.

I think the police 'brotherhood' does what they can, where they can. Any of them cut short during duty deserves what this young man got. For their service, for their families.

stephanie
10-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Wow..that was awesome....thanks for sharing said...

diuretic
10-16-2007, 11:41 PM

And, sad as it is, it's always a sight when the RCMP does it. I always find it interesting that two nations which have their police as national icons (Canada with the RCMP and Britain with its "Bobbies") are still relatively benign in their national culture. I can hardly see France with a photo of a CRS officer pulling in the tourists.