PDA

View Full Version : This Is Different

Kathianne
12-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Something I never thought I'd do, going to see, "Godzilla Minus One" this afternoon. Read a review then my son called raving about it. So, gonna go. ;)

Gunny
12-09-2023, 11:06 AM
Something I never thought I'd do, going to see, "Godzilla Minus One" this afternoon. Read a review then my son called raving about it. So, gonna go. ;)

I am sorely tempted. Haven't been in a theater since ... ummm ... 90s? :dunno:

Not a Godzilla movie fan. I liked the original. The subtitled Japanese original, not the Raymond Burr American edit. This one is supposed to go back to the original message rather than another campy creature-fest.

I'm way better at waiting for the dvd though :)

Kathianne
12-09-2023, 11:25 AM
I am sorely tempted. Haven't been in a theater since ... ummm ... 90s? :dunno:

Not a Godzilla movie fan. I liked the original. The subtitled Japanese original, not the Raymond Burr American edit. This one is supposed to go back to the original message rather than another campy creature-fest.

I'm way better at waiting for the dvd though :)

I think you know me well enough to know monster movies, sci fi in general are not my cuppa. This just sounds fun and new campy.
I never go to theater, hearing. LOL! I figure with this it's going to be special effects, not dialogue.

Here is another 'rave':

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/12/08/go-see-godzilla-minus-one-if-you-can-n597759

Gunny
12-09-2023, 12:36 PM
I think you know me well enough to know monster movies, sci fi in general are not my cuppa. This just sounds fun and new campy.
I never go to theater, hearing. LOL! I figure with this it's going to be special effects, not dialogue.

Here is another 'rave':

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/12/08/go-see-godzilla-minus-one-if-you-can-n597759

The original Godzilla is a metaphor for the atomic bomb and the responsibility and consequences that comes with that much power and using it. Godzilla the creature being only incidental to telling that story.

As I understand it, the new movie is more along those lines rather than the campy, men in rubber suits have cheesy fights while incidentally destroying everything their tails slam into.

Kathianne
12-09-2023, 01:09 PM
The original Godzilla is a metaphor for the atomic bomb and the responsibility and consequences that comes with that much power and using it. Godzilla the creature being only incidental to telling that story.

As I understand it, the new movie is more along those lines rather than the campy, men in rubber suits have cheesy fights while incidentally destroying everything their tails slam into.

Yep, he's a walking atomic bomb. ;)

SassyLady
12-09-2023, 02:13 PM
Kath ... I always get the closed captioning device when I go to the movies. It really helps.

Kathianne
12-09-2023, 02:31 PM
Kath ... I always get the closed captioning device when I go to the movies. It really helps.
I've tried, don't like in theater. If my bluetooth headphones worked, I'd use. In most cases, I agree with Gunny, I watch at home with my own hearing device.

This is a special effects movie, at a time of year I like to get out.

Kathianne
12-09-2023, 08:23 PM
It was fun. It was campy. Totally worth it, we laughed and cheered the Japanese pilot.

Gunny
12-10-2023, 11:49 AM
It was fun. It was campy. Totally worth it, we laughed and cheered the Japanese pilot.After further consideration, the thought of being trapped in a theater with a mob of people I don't know has ruled in favor of waiting for the PPV/DVD :)

Kathianne
12-10-2023, 12:11 PM
After further consideration, the thought of being trapped in a theater with a mob of people I don't know has ruled in favor of waiting for the PPV/DVD :)

Not many people at theater, it's just not a thing anymore. Seems if some people go, it's a hit.