PDA

View Full Version : So It's Come To This: We Might Have To Worry About The Deficit

Kathianne
12-19-2023, 11:08 AM
Ok, the headline made me lol and certainly caught my attention-from Vox! Not one party, but the real culprit, not getting handle on SSI and other entitlements is coming due now.

https://www.vox.com/money/2023/12/18/24001984/us-budget-deficit-2023-debt-tax-revenue-interest-rates

So it’s come to this: We might have to worry about the deficitAmerica rarely has its financial ducks in a row. Does it finally matter?

By Emily Stewartemily.stewart@vox.com Dec 18, 2023, 7:00am EST

A line of porcelain piggy banks stand at the edge of a rectangular cliff. One has fallen off the cliff, pictured mid-air.
The government might be in a smidge of a pickle with deficits and debt. PM Images via Getty Images
Emily Stewart covers business and economics for Vox and writes the newsletter The Big Squeeze, examining the ways ordinary people are being squeezed under capitalism. Before joining Vox, she worked for TheStreet.

As though there were not enough things in the world to worry about at the moment, a perennial issue has once again been percolating: Is the United States’ financial house in order? Talk about the federal government’s deficit — meaning the difference between what it spends and what it collects in taxes — has started to pick back up. The same goes for chatter about the country’s debt. Deficits are a gamble — a wager that the government paying out more than it’s taking in, especially as time goes on, is worth the risk. Not everyone thinks it’s such a good bet.

Some prominent economists who were once pretty laid back on the matter have started to change their tune. Not everyone is setting their hair on fire, but it has been a bit of a “Wait, what?” moment in terms of deciphering just how much to worry, or whether to worry at all.

The federal deficit officially clocked in at $1.7 trillion in fiscal year 2023 (the government’s fiscal year runs from October 1 to September 30), up from almost $1.4 trillion in 2022. Thanks to some wonkiness around the Supreme Court-thwarted attempt to cancel student loan debt, it was actually likely closer to $2 trillion for 2023 and $1 trillion for 2022. In other words, the gap between what the government spends and what it makes is a big one — and about doubled from one year to the next.

There are some 2023-specific reasons that the deficit was particularly high; namely, the government saw a big dip in tax revenue. However, there are plenty of trends that aren’t limited to this specific year.

What’s further spooked onlookers are higher interest rates, which have made the country’s debt more expensive because of higher interest costs. Interest rates on US Treasury bonds started to climb over the summer and into the fall, and while they have come down from some of the highs they were at in October, they remain elevated overall, making people a little more nervous.

“You know the meme that’s like mess around and find out? That’s a little what happened here,” said Marc Goldwein, senior vice president and senior policy director for the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a think tank focused on fiscal responsibility. Years of low interest rates, low inflation, and strong global savings, among other factors, made deficits palatable and easy to ignore in practice on both the right and the left (except when politically convenient). Now, the landscape has shifted.

Lawmakers have made the bet that deficits are worth the trade-off and the debt is manageable, and these soaring rates and their attendant anxiety show just how high the stakes of that gamble are. That risk also calls attention to how difficult the issue is, politically. While many experts say there’s next to no chance of balancing the budget, getting revenue and spending back in line would require compromises few people on Capitol Hill are willing to make. Republicans don’t want to raise taxes and keep cutting them instead, seemingly worrying about deficits largely only when they’re not in office. Democrats don’t want to curb spending, and raising taxes isn’t easy. It’s not clear what, if anything, would make anyone budge.

“I don’t think you’re going to get a solution to this [deficit] until it really is something quite salient to the public, to politicians, and the thing that I’ve been saying for years is … that will happen when markets start to care, when interest rates start to rise,” said Louise Sheiner, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and policy director of the Hutchins Center on Fiscal and Monetary Policy. Despite high interest rates, she’s still not sure if this will prove to matter now. “This may be just this little head-fake where interest rates went up and then they came back down and it was no big deal, or we may turn around and may look back at this moment in 10 years and say, ‘That was the moment when people did start to worry about the deficit again and we started doing stuff.’ I don’t know which one it will be.”

2023 is unique, and it isn’t
The 2023 deficit wasn’t necessarily outlandishly high. The deficit also topped $1 trillion in the years following the Great Recession. It was over $3 trillion in 2020 and more than $2 trillion in 2021 because of the pandemic and related spending under Presidents Donald Trump and Joe Biden. “You had Donald Trump go on a huge tax cut and spending spree, and then Joe Biden went on a spending spree,” said Brian Riedl, senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute.

But the deficit being so high in a relatively normal period in 2023 — no recession, no war the US is fighting — is a bit different. What exactly were we spending money on, and why didn’t we have the funds to cover it?

The main culprit this year is taxes (spending was only slightly higher than where it was in 2022). As Jim Tankersley at the New York Times explains, the government brought in an especially low amount of revenue. The IRS extended tax-filing deadlines for people because of natural disasters, including for most people in California, the country’s most populous state. A lot of firms took advantage of a pandemic-era tax credit for retaining workers — some of those claims may be fraud. Capital gains taxes, which come when an asset, like a stock, is sold, also fell from 2022, when they were abnormally high. The decline in capital gains taxes is an effect of high interest rates from the Federal Reserve, which contributed to stock market declines and a downturn in companies going public. (This is a big issue in California’s budget.)

“THE TRAJECTORY OF DEBT HAS NOT FUNDAMENTALLY SHIFTED IN THE LAST FEW YEARS”
“The 2023 deficit was certainly anomalous, and I think people are using a ‘that’s weird’ as a point of proof, but I don’t think it actually has much to do with genuine concern over fiscal risk,” said Michael Linden, senior policy fellow at the Washington Center for Equitable Growth. “The trajectory of debt has not fundamentally shifted in the last few years.”

Still, the trajectory is one that some people find to be uncomfortable.

Tax revenue as a percentage of GDP was abnormally high in 2022 and in 2023, it reverted closer to what it was pre-pandemic. Tax cuts, including those put in place by George W. Bush (and made permanent under Barack Obama) and Donald Trump, are taking a bite out of revenue and will continue to do so. The Trump tax cuts are set to expire in 2025, and it’s not clear whether they might be extended.

At the same time, government spending is on track to continue growing. As baby boomers age, programs like Social Security and Medicare are getting costlier. Defense is always an expensive line item, and there’s demand for more in order to help Israel and Ukraine. And there’s the question of interest costs, too.

“People have changed their views because the aging population is starting to hit — the pre-programmed rise in Social Security and Medicare is happening, and people are looking at it in 10-year projections where it wasn’t before, because baby boomers are retiring. The second issue is interest costs,” said Danny Yagan, an economics professor at the University of California, Berkeley. “The truth is that the interest costs are a much smaller deal now than people think they are, because economic growth has edged out interest rates for years and is generally projected to for some time.”

How big of a deal this is isn’t really clear
America’s debt and the potential implications of high deficits were pretty easy to ignore in the lower interest rate environment the country has been in for the last several years. As borrowing costs rise, paying interest on America’s debt load becomes pricier, especially if those higher costs persist.

“The debt used to appear costless, because the interest rates were, in many cases, below inflation and almost always, for the last 15 years, below economic growth,” Goldwein said. The debt issued when borrowing that was more or less free is now being rolled over, meaning renewed, at higher interest rates, he said. The Center for a Responsible Federal Budget notes that more than half of the country’s debt matures over the next three years.

There are a number of factors potentially playing into interest rate increases on Treasury bonds in the financial markets, but there’s no one single factor to pinpoint. The Federal Reserve has hiked interest rates to fight inflation and is expected to perhaps keep them there for a while. The New York Times points out strong growth, fewer buyers of American debt from abroad, and overall worries about debt sustainability as contributing factors. Sheiner, from the Brookings Institution, said brinkmanship over the debt ceiling, threats of a government shutdown, the overall political environment, and a downgrade on US credit could be part of it as well. “Markets aren’t always 100 percent rational, and you can’t predict every day why it’s doing stuff,” Sheiner said.

“Why did we see a spike of interest rates on federal debt over the last six months, and why is it coming down now? I don’t think it’s obvious what the right answer is,” Linden said.

If the economy grows faster than interest rates, the general line is that running a deficit is more or less okay, because the debt-to-GDP ratio, an indicator of the country’s ability to pay back its debts, doesn’t increase. The problem would come if interest rates outpace economic growth.

Many economists and experts say it’s not time to panic — interest rates have come back down. “Growth is definitely still higher than interest rates, but it’s closer than it was in the past,” Linden said. “If the 10-year Treasuries were sustained at 5, 6, 7 percent for more than six months or something like that, I would start to be like, ‘Okay, is there something really going on here?’ Especially if that happened at the same time as a Fed cut.”

“ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, LOWER DEBT IS BETTER, BUT ALL ELSE IS NEVER EQUAL”
Bobby Kogan, senior director of federal budget policy at the Center for American Progress, a progressive think tank, emphasized that it’s also important to take a look at what a high deficit is paying for. Kogan — who is in the camp that believes the Bush and Trump tax cuts are largely responsible for the issues of today — pointed out that the spending side of the equation is one that is popular. Most people don’t want cuts to Social Security and Medicare. “All else being equal, lower debt is better, but all else is never equal,” he said. “All else being equal, we probably would want lower debt, but if you gave me an option between the current path and eviscerating the social safety net, that’s a different question.”

When it comes down to it, the political will to fix this is roughly zero
The country isn’t necessarily careening toward financial ruin because of its deficits and debt. To quote Kogan, “our current level of debt is manageable because we’re managing it.” But it’s something that probably has to be addressed eventually.

The worst-case scenario here would be something like a debt spiral, where higher interest rates and a growing debt mean the costs of servicing the debt get higher and higher, eventually spinning out of control and pushing deficits up more and more. But the worst-case scenario isn’t the only undesirable one. There could be other consequences around slowing economic growth or “crowding out” investment, meaning the government’s needs on borrowing and spending impact borrowing and investing in the private sector. “You don’t need a crisis for debt to be bad,” Goldwein said.

“NEITHER PARTY IS REMOTELY SERIOUS ABOUT EITHER SPENDING CUTS OR TAX INCREASES”
Given the landscape, one might find themselves asking why the government doesn’t take a look at the deficit before it gets out of hand. That’s where there’s an awkward standoff. The GOP generally wants to cut taxes, and certainly not raise them, and would rather cut spending instead. Democrats do not want to cut spending, especially on vital programs such as Social Security and Medicare. Many Democrats would be into raising taxes, especially on corporations and the wealthy. They haven’t had the numbers to do so in a big enough way, though the Biden administration has implemented some tax changes on corporate minimum tax and stock buyback tax, and is pushing for more funding for the IRS to collect more of what’s owed.

“Neither party is remotely serious about either spending cuts or tax increases,” Reidl said. “The momentum has shifted that people are at least talking about the deficit and they’re not proposing a big expansion, but they’re nowhere close to actually solving the deficit.”

“Not only do you not have to balance the budget, but it’s not clear that you could,” Goldwein said. Even if there were a “staunch Paul Ryan-type figure,” referring to the former budget hawk Speaker of the House, who was looking to go after spending, it’s unlikely the issue could be addressed without looking at revenue, he added. “The bottom line is either the middle class is going to have to contribute … on the tax side or on the spending side,” he said. “There really is no path if they’re not part of it and realistically even that, I think, would be very hard.”

The runway isn’t endless. The Social Security trust fund is expected to run out of money in about a decade, which means taxes or benefits would need to be cut or the government would have to find money somewhere else.

Republicans often claim that they’re serious about addressing the deficit. This year, some hardline members of the House GOP have been fighting for spending cuts, proclaiming concerns for the budget. But when in power, the GOP has slashed taxes. Efforts even now seem insincere — many Republicans are also pushing to take funding away from the IRS, which would lower revenue, not increase it.

Democrats have taken a more complex approach to deficits. There’s an argument to be made that during the Obama years, Democrats were too worried about them. That resulted in a reluctance to spend and ultimately dampened the recovery from the Great Recession.

Part of what’s disturbing about the situation is that nobody really knows the answer to what level of deficit is truly sustainable, what level of debt would be completely destabilizing, and if or when that day will arrive. Nobody can really predict the future here.

“We will have to do something eventually. What does that mean? Nobody really knows what [that] eventually means, the longer you wait, the more you are shifting costs onto the future generation,” Sheiner said. “It’s always about intergenerational equity.”

Gunny
12-19-2023, 07:58 PM
Ok, the headline made me lol and certainly caught my attention-from Vox! Not one party, but the real culprit, not getting handle on SSI and other entitlements is coming due now.

https://www.vox.com/money/2023/12/18/24001984/us-budget-deficit-2023-debt-tax-revenue-interest-ratesSSI is a negligible drop in the bucket compared government spending. And I don't mean one party. I mean the whole institution. For some reason, they think they have to spend what they take in and more. Especially Dems.

Said it a million times: if we handled our checkbooks the way the US government handles our money we'd be in jail and had all our possessions repossessed or confiscated by the government. They are worse deficit spenders than my ex-wife:rolleyes:

At no point in time has any one of them (that I know of) actually addressed the problem of politicians' shopping lists vs real needs of the people.

Kathianne
12-19-2023, 08:50 PM
SSI is a negligible drop in the bucket compared government spending. And I don't mean one party. I mean the whole institution. For some reason, they think they have to spend what they take in and more. Especially Dems.

Said it a million times: if we handled our checkbooks the way the US government handles our money we'd be in jail and had all our possessions repossessed or confiscated by the government. They are worse deficit spenders than my ex-wife:rolleyes:

At no point in time has any one of them (that I know of) actually addressed the problem of politicians' shopping lists vs real needs of the people.

I said, 'and other entitlements':

In 2022, major entitlement programs—Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare, and other health care programs—consumed 46 percent of all federal spending.

Where Does All the Money Go? - Federal Budget in Pictures (https://www.federalbudgetinpictures.com/where-does-all-the-money-go/#:~:text=In%202022%2C%20major%20entitlement%20prog rams,percent%20of%20all%20federal%20spending.)

Gunny
12-20-2023, 06:29 PM
I said, 'and other entitlements':

I agree social entitlement programs should be addressed. Not at my expense. For one, I don't see SS as an entitlement nor a handout. I paid for it. We all have. So we should pay again because another government plan isn't working the way they sold it when they started withholding from people's checks?

Government needs to fix it and the fix needs to come out of government's spending money, not our pockets.

Might as well face some facts. Does anyone really believe government is going to quit paying a dependent society it purposefully created until it suddenly wakes up to that "Oh shit!" moment? You'll get your program cuts then. Mark my word those cuts won't come at the expense of their useful idiot sheeple.

Kathianne
12-20-2023, 07:57 PM
I agree social entitlement programs should be addressed. Not at my expense. For one, I don't see SS as an entitlement nor a handout. I paid for it. We all have. So we should pay again because another government plan isn't working the way they sold it when they started withholding from people's checks?

Government needs to fix it and the fix needs to come out of government's spending money, not our pockets.

Might as well face some facts. Does anyone really believe government is going to quit paying a dependent society it purposefully created until it suddenly wakes up to that "Oh shit!" moment? You'll get your program cuts then. Mark my word those cuts won't come at the expense of their useful idiot sheeple.

It shouldn't fall on anyone suddenly. It's a loser and the sooner it's phased out, the less hurt will go around. It should have been done in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s...

Gunny
12-21-2023, 08:32 AM
It shouldn't fall on anyone suddenly. It's a loser and the sooner it's phased out, the less hurt will go around. It should have been done in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s...

It should have never happened if you want to go there. Short term fix for a then current issue. The damage has been done and I don't mean solely financial. It's been around long enough that like all other things that have been around long enough re: government it is looked upon by society in general as a Right, and retirement. It hasn't been so long ago that I knew plenty of older/retired people who made do on a pension and social security. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was always bad. Seems to me government not borrowing from it and maintaining its financial solvency would have gone a long way.

We, the People certainly had to keep our end of the bargain, want to or not. I daresay I could have easily taken the same amount of money and invested it myself and far surpassed anything the government is going to begrudgingly dole out. Government (FDR) decided it needed to think for us.

I do not pretend to have all the answers, but I can start with having financially responsible and honest people handling any future changes. As it stands, I don't want this government nor anyone in it touching a damned thing because when it does, it somehow makes a profit and the people end up worse off.

Kathianne
12-21-2023, 08:44 AM
It should have never happened if you want to go there. Short term fix for a then current issue. The damage has been done and I don't mean solely financial. It's been around long enough that like all other things that have been around long enough re: government it is looked upon by society in general as a Right, and retirement. It hasn't been so long ago that I knew plenty of older/retired people who made do on a pension and social security. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was always bad. Seems to me government not borrowing from it and maintaining its financial solvency would have gone a long way.

We, the People certainly had to keep our end of the bargain, want to or not. I daresay I could have easily taken the same amount of money and invested it myself and far surpassed anything the government is going to begrudgingly dole out. Government (FDR) decided it needed to think for us.

I do not pretend to have all the answers, but I can start with having financially responsible and honest people handling any future changes. As it stands, I don't want this government nor anyone in it touching a damned thing because when it does, it somehow makes a profit and the people end up worse off.

I don't know at this point if it can be ended without pain on some-it could have been 30 years ago, but 'the people' were against it. So now it's coming like a freight train. Medicare was likely the final straw, but at this point doesn't matter. The end is coming, likely not for folks our age, but it's still coming for those the boomers claim to love.

Kathianne
12-21-2023, 09:16 AM
Related:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/social-security-was-doomed-from-the-start-but-here-is-how-to-fix-it-a6cabbcc?mod=trending_now_opn_3

Gunny
12-21-2023, 09:31 AM
Related:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/social-security-was-doomed-from-the-start-but-here-is-how-to-fix-it-a6cabbcc?mod=trending_now_opn_3

Looks like a good article. Behind a paywall :)

Kathianne
12-21-2023, 09:46 AM
Looks like a good article. Behind a paywall :)
Shouldn't be, let me make sure I gave right link:

Use the bottom one, sorry.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/social-security-was-doomed-from-the-start-but-here-is-how-to-fix-it-a6cabbcc?st=c7eg344f6ii0e6a&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Gunny
12-21-2023, 11:23 AM
Shouldn't be, let me make sure I gave right link:

Use the bottom one, sorry.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/social-security-was-doomed-from-the-start-but-here-is-how-to-fix-it-a6cabbcc?st=c7eg344f6ii0e6a&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

I predict they'll blow smoke all over it, stick a bandaid on it and let the next guys worry about it:rolleyes:

Good article. Fills in a lot of blanks. Pretty much says what I did: irresponsible people handling our money.

I'd love to be an outside agency auditing US Federal government spending. There may be some big chunks of fraud, waste and abuse waiting to be found but I firmly believe it's the sum of all government spending that would find a whole bunch of the people's money being misused.

Then there's the fact that responsible taxpayers are footing the bill for no-denial Obamacare.

Kathianne
12-21-2023, 11:25 AM
I predict they'll blow smoke all over it, stick a bandaid on it and let the next guys worry about it:rolleyes:

Good article. Fills in a lot of blanks. Pretty much says what I did: irresponsible people handling our money.

I'd love to be an outside agency auditing US Federal government spending. There may be some big chunks of fraud, waste and abuse waiting to be found but I firmly believe it's the sum of all government spending that would find a whole bunch of the people's money being misused.

Then there's the fact that responsible taxpayers are footing the bill for no-denial Obamacare.

I may be wrong, but I think the end date is coming faster than anyone thinks. Thanks to the past 3 administrations and what appears to be coming soon, hope is not on the horizon.

fj1200
12-21-2023, 12:50 PM

That's why no one has the guts to fix it.

fj1200
12-21-2023, 12:52 PM
I may be wrong, but I think the end date is coming faster than anyone thinks. Thanks to the past 3 administrations and what appears to be coming soon, hope is not on the horizon.

The Great Recession moved the end date up... the pandemic moved the end date up... I'm also not hopeful of a fix.

Gunny
12-22-2023, 11:48 AM
That's why no one has the guts to fix it.I'll give you a partially true. IMO, as previously stated, it can be fixed without cutting the throats of those who have involuntarily paid into it all their working lives (SSI). Suppose government decided one day to take all profits from any and all stockholders? Something they pay into with an expectation of return on investment? And no, when you blow away the smokescreen, there's no difference. Investment for return.

The reason there isn't a fix is because no one wants one. Poison for politicians. The hydra agencies that suck paychecks off government maintaining the albatross's keep a bunch of government dependent people employed. Down to the people themselves abusing the system simply so they don't have to work. The lengths people will go for the latter is amazing to me.

Not to be forgotten are those that actually are in need. Mark my words, they are the ones who will suffer the most.

Kathianne
12-22-2023, 12:31 PM
I'll give you a partially true. IMO, as previously stated, it can be fixed without cutting the throats of those who have involuntarily paid into it all their working lives (SSI). Suppose government decided one day to take all profits from any and all stockholders? Something they pay into with an expectation of return on investment? And no, when you blow away the smokescreen, there's no difference. Investment for return.

The reason there isn't a fix is because no one wants one. Poison for politicians. The hydra agencies that suck paychecks off government maintaining the albatross's keep a bunch of government dependent people employed. Down to the people themselves abusing the system simply so they don't have to work. The lengths people will go for the latter is amazing to me.

Not to be forgotten are those that actually are in need. Mark my words, they are the ones who will suffer the most.

Actually I've always wanted the phasing out. Young people today are justly blaming the 'boomers' for robbing their future and making them less likely to have children, which of course is exacerbating the basic problem in this pyramid scheme. Whether or not it's too late to work at phasing out and paying at least some of the confiscated monies from the younger folk is up for grabs, that moment may be past.

The only folks not wanting to end SSI and Medicare are those receiving or close to receiving. They DO need to be protected, but they too need to voice their desire for future generations.

fj1200
12-23-2023, 11:30 AM
I'll give you a partially true. IMO, as previously stated, it can be fixed without cutting the throats of those who have involuntarily paid into it all their working lives (SSI). Suppose government decided one day to take all profits from any and all stockholders? Something they pay into with an expectation of return on investment? And no, when you blow away the smokescreen, there's no difference. Investment for return.

Nobody is talking about kneecapping everyone that paid into it but ANY reform is going to be argued against reform as exactly that. It's inescapable that those will be the talking points. Just like Milei trying to fix Argentina is going to be protested even though the times that they are in are long-term fatal to their economy. I agree with the rest of your post but I'm completely correct about the reality of the political backlash. This is why a couple of bi-partisan Senators, likely at the end of their careers, need to start hashing out a workable solution that they can then start to sell to the larger audience.

fj1200
12-23-2023, 11:34 AM
Actually I've always wanted the phasing out. Young people today are justly blaming the 'boomers' for robbing their future and making them less likely to have children, which of course is exacerbating the basic problem in this pyramid scheme. Whether or not it's too late to work at phasing out and paying at least some of the confiscated monies from the younger folk is up for grabs, that moment may be past.

The only folks not wanting to end SSI and Medicare are those receiving or close to receiving. They DO need to be protected, but they too need to voice their desire for future generations.

I don't know about that. I think that any reform needs to reflect the reality of modern life with working longer being, in my opinion, healthier for people but also healthier for people's and the nation's budgets. Incentive the positive and disincentive the negative and not legislate/encourage a one-time date of retirement. Of course not mentioning that Medicare is budgetarily worse I think than Social Security is long term. :eek:

Gunny
12-23-2023, 01:40 PM

Again, you go back to "clear understanding". In general, I doubt anyone is truly educated on the matter without educating themselves. If I understood it when I was joining the workforce as I understand it now, I agree with phasing it out. Then again, in hindsight, I can think of a whole bunch of decisions that would be different :)

Perfect example of education on the topic: "young people today blaming boomers for their future" should be blaming government for not ensuring the solvency of a program it is responsible for. Who was it again robbing us of our future when we were the kids busting our butts for a dime and having to support retirees?

I don't believe it's too late to phase it out. What do you replace it with in a society more dependent on government than us? Blaming the contributors and punishing them for government's FUp is as wrong as anything else to do with the topic. I would not be surprised that misplaced blame begins with government/MSM propaganda. Government should be held responsible, not the people they've fleeced. But it's easier to screw the little guy than get government tio get it right.

Gunny
12-23-2023, 01:42 PM
Nobody is talking about kneecapping everyone that paid into it but ANY reform is going to be argued against reform as exactly that. It's inescapable that those will be the talking points. Just like Milei trying to fix Argentina is going to be protested even though the times that they are in are long-term fatal to their economy. I agree with the rest of your post but I'm completely correct about the reality of the political backlash. This is why a couple of bi-partisan Senators, likely at the end of their careers, need to start hashing out a workable solution that they can then start to sell to the larger audience.

There's no doubt in my mind those will be, and are, the talking points. Just as there is no doubt in my mind who's going to take it in the shorts when all is said and done.

Kathianne
12-23-2023, 05:25 PM
I don't know about that. I think that any reform needs to reflect the reality of modern life with working longer being, in my opinion, healthier for people but also healthier for people's and the nation's budgets. Incentive the positive and disincentive the negative and not legislate/encourage a one-time date of retirement. Of course not mentioning that Medicare is budgetarily worse I think than Social Security is long term. :eek:

I think everyone should get what they put into it, but those who means test high perhaps over time, little or no interest. Means testing needs to be phased in, while percentages withheld from those working decreases slowly, as there's not enough $$$ already.

Don't pretend to know all pitfalls, but should have started phase out in 50s.

Kathianne
12-23-2023, 05:28 PM
Again, you go back to "clear understanding". In general, I doubt anyone is truly educated on the matter without educating themselves. If I understood it when I was joining the workforce as I understand it now, I agree with phasing it out. Then again, in hindsight, I can think of a whole bunch of decisions that would be different :)

Perfect example of education on the topic: "young people today blaming boomers for their future" should be blaming government for not ensuring the solvency of a program it is responsible for. Who was it again robbing us of our future when we were the kids busting our butts for a dime and having to support retirees?

I don't believe it's too late to phase it out. What do you replace it with in a society more dependent on government than us? Blaming the contributors and punishing them for government's FUp is as wrong as anything else to do with the topic. I would not be surprised that misplaced blame begins with government/MSM propaganda. Government should be held responsible, not the people they've fleeced. But it's easier to screw the little guy than get government tio get it right.

IMO no replacement. If elderly persons need safety net for some reason, going to be like welfare. Again, I'm not for having starving, homeless. The standard of living though should not be what those working should get

SassyLady
12-23-2023, 08:37 PM
If I collect SS for 20 years I will barely get back what I contributed. And that's without the interest it would have earned.

Don't forget .. for every penny you contributed your employer matched it.

Kathianne
12-23-2023, 09:35 PM
If I collect SS for 20 years I will barely get back what I contributed. And that's without the interest it would have earned.

Don't forget .. for every penny you contributed your employer matched it.

Those above a means threshold should get their contributions back, not the employers. There needs to be every effort not to screw any group to the best way possible.

Gunny
12-24-2023, 09:20 AM
IMO no replacement. If elderly persons need safety net for some reason, going to be like welfare. Again, I'm not for having starving, homeless. The standard of living though should not be what those working should getI don't quite get why you want to go from either working or welfare with no in between. Granted, and as I have stated before, I could have done better than the government with what they withheld, IMO but that is not guaranteed nor fact.

You yourself pointed out where the problem lies: Jackson proved it nothing more than taxation and a means of revenue for the government. That means there never was any real attempt to manage the program in a manner that would give it a chance of success.

In my case, where my plans were disrupted and I had to leave the workforce early, I already had two retirement plans I earned to fall back on rather than needing handouts from the State; which, is where no SS would have put me.

I doubt you'll get many to agree with you on that standard of living thing. We live in a country where current knuckleheads entering the workforce believe they should be paid as CEO merely for their presence:laugh:. I agree standard of living should be within means, but we don't do that either anymore.

There are lots of rules and standards I live by, as well as some others, but for the most part, this country is fiscally irresponsible. Where have the people learned to be that way? Watching the government that is supposed to set the example.

Gunny
12-24-2023, 09:30 AM
FWIW. I didn't go looking for this. Just ran across it scrolling through the usual array of today's daily does of MSM depression:rolleyes:

Social Security's Impending Bankruptcy Is Nothing More Than a Myth. Here's Why (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/social-security-s-impending-bankruptcy-is-nothing-more-than-a-myth-here-s-why/ar-AA1lYdPs?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=865a267d59e84637b11ffe26b353cdec&ei=69)

Kathianne
12-24-2023, 10:53 AM
FWIW. I didn't go looking for this. Just ran across it scrolling through the usual array of today's daily does of MSM depression:rolleyes:

Social Security's Impending Bankruptcy Is Nothing More Than a Myth. Here's Why (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/social-security-s-impending-bankruptcy-is-nothing-more-than-a-myth-here-s-why/ar-AA1lYdPs?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=865a267d59e84637b11ffe26b353cdec&ei=69)

I'm getting ready for work, but I will read this. Got through the opening, but problem is the 'working workforce.'

Since about 1975 or so the % of earnings taken by SSI and other fed and state taxes have been increasing at higher and higher rates, but not nearly as quickly as the expansion of benefits and rising costs of Medicare. Certainly the parents of baby boomers benefitted greatly, the money they collected in their later years, which were for far longer than anticipated when they were in their teens and began working after the war. Many of them didn't start paying into SSI until late 30s or even 40s.

Here and there folks have mentioned the looting of the pension fund, which never should have happened. It did. Sort of the same as investing your own money in a Ponzi scheme and losing it all, I guess that would be worse, but by degree. The government forces the taking, as is the very nature of government. Being duped by one's own bad decisions, to me is certainly not good, but I made the choice if caught up in such. The government hasn't the right to pull such on the citizens, but has done worse. Spending the money with no attempt to truly have it grow over time. Robbing not just the workers, but the future generations while continuing to take.
Gunny mentioned that the young shouldn't be blaming the 'boomers' but the government. They are, they are rejecting the government, they want change more than the most virulent Trump supporters.

fj1200
12-24-2023, 12:36 PM

At that point, Social Security might have to cut benefits to the tune of about 20%. That's not great. But it's also a far cry from the program going bankrupt and benefits disappearing entirely.

I'm not sure "bankruptcy" has been the cry but the ~20% cut is written into the current law when the trust fund runs out. I do think that the later years of what scheduled SS payments will do to the budget is the real problem and is not reflected in the article that I saw.

It needs to be fixed. "Getting mine" or "what I paid in" is the exact phrase that is going to be repeated to 535 Congressmen and Senators ad infinitum and the real reason that an actual fix will not occur.

SS needs to be seen as welfare IMO and not a retirement plan. People thinking it's a retirement plan is the reason that so many did not see a need to plan for retirement. When people see "cradle to grave" they will act accordingly, and when you start telling people that if they don't have savings then they're going to be on welfare when they retire, then hopefully they'll act accordingly. Unintended consequences... or intended depending on your level of cynicism.

And don't get me started on reverse mortgages.

Gunny
12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure "bankruptcy" has been the cry but the ~20% cut is written into the current law when the trust fund runs out. I do think that the later years of what scheduled SS payments will do to the budget is the real problem and is not reflected in the article that I saw.

It needs to be fixed. "Getting mine" or "what I paid in" is the exact phrase that is going to be repeated to 535 Congressmen and Senators ad infinitum and the real reason that an actual fix will not occur.

SS needs to be seen as welfare IMO and not a retirement plan. People thinking it's a retirement plan is the reason that so many did not see a need to plan for retirement. When people see "cradle to grave" they will act accordingly, and when you start telling people that if they don't have savings then they're going to be on welfare when they retire, then hopefully they'll act accordingly. Unintended consequences... or intended depending on your level of cynicism.

And don't get me started on reverse mortgages.I do not disagree with some of your reasoning. At the same time, I take serious issue with the idea that those who have paid into it for all their adult lives should just take it in the shorts and smile about it.

Not sure how you come up with SS should be seen as welfare when it is an investment, like any other, with the exception that investing is/was not an option. That latter, IMO, making it even more correct to pay those who have had to pay in.

You believe the people should pay for something they've already paid for, when I believe government should can and should take it out of their taxpayer spending money they waste on everything in the alphabet.

Seems where we do agree is that regardless your idea or mine, neither have a chance in Hell :)

Gunny
12-25-2023, 09:34 AM
I'm getting ready for work, but I will read this. Got through the opening, but problem is the 'working workforce.'

Since about 1975 or so the % of earnings taken by SSI and other fed and state taxes have been increasing at higher and higher rates, but not nearly as quickly as the expansion of benefits and rising costs of Medicare. Certainly the parents of baby boomers benefitted greatly, the money they collected in their later years, which were for far longer than anticipated when they were in their teens and began working after the war. Many of them didn't start paying into SSI until late 30s or even 40s.

Here and there folks have mentioned the looting of the pension fund, which never should have happened. It did. Sort of the same as investing your own money in a Ponzi scheme and losing it all, I guess that would be worse, but by degree. The government forces the taking, as is the very nature of government. Being duped by one's own bad decisions, to me is certainly not good, but I made the choice if caught up in such. The government hasn't the right to pull such on the citizens, but has done worse. Spending the money with no attempt to truly have it grow over time. Robbing not just the workers, but the future generations while continuing to take.
@Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30) mentioned that the young shouldn't be blaming the 'boomers' but the government. They are, they are rejecting the government, they want change more than the most virulent Trump supporters.

From everything I've read, they want "change" at boomers' expense rather than calling government to task.

Kathianne
12-25-2023, 10:19 AM
From everything I've read, they want "change" at boomers' expense rather than calling government to task.

If it was only. Nope, from what I see they are searching for any and all, but the winner seems to be communism that answers the call of the ignorant. Used to be the US didn't have major threat, then again, it's far from the country we grew up in.

fj1200
12-25-2023, 01:33 PM
I do not disagree with some of your reasoning. At the same time, I take serious issue with the idea that those who have paid into it for all their adult lives should just take it in the shorts and smile about it.

Not sure how you come up with SS should be seen as welfare when it is an investment, like any other, with the exception that investing is/was not an option. That latter, IMO, making it even more correct to pay those who have had to pay in.

You believe the people should pay for something they've already paid for, when I believe government should can and should take it out of their taxpayer spending money they waste on everything in the alphabet.

Seems where we do agree is that regardless your idea or mine, neither have a chance in Hell :)

The question is how to people perceive it because that drives people's actions. Call it an investment and people treat it as such. Call it welfare and presumably intelligent people will treat it as such. I think people should have been told that if you're going to depend on SS for your retirement then you should be ready for a crappy retirement. The problem is that the boomers have won the SS lottery. They've had enough kids to support them and are ready to die before their too-few grandkids will be around to support the next generation. You can't take money from the dead or dying.

But nobody is going to fix it right if they fix it at all so not sure why we're crying about it. I certainly wish that government spending would get reigned in and that they would fix the SS disincentives but I hold out no hope. "We the people" have zero self control.

Gunny
12-27-2023, 10:59 AM
The question is how to people perceive it because that drives people's actions. Call it an investment and people treat it as such. Call it welfare and presumably intelligent people will treat it as such. I think people should have been told that if you're going to depend on SS for your retirement then you should be ready for a crappy retirement. The problem is that the boomers have won the SS lottery. They've had enough kids to support them and are ready to die before their too-few grandkids will be around to support the next generation. You can't take money from the dead or dying.

But nobody is going to fix it right if they fix it at all so not sure why we're crying about it. I certainly wish that government spending would get reigned in and that they would fix the SS disincentives but I hold out no hope. "We the people" have zero self control.

I get the perception thing. I agree it should not be called retirement but don't agree with calling welfare because it is not. I view it the same as supplemental insurance for lack of a better comparison. Not the primary source for retirement income, but still a source that I earned.

Anyone planning in relying solely on SS for retirement needs to start their education at learning math:laugh:

Gunny
12-27-2023, 11:01 AM
If it was only. Nope, from what I see they are searching for any and all, but the winner seems to be communism that answers the call of the ignorant. Used to be the US didn't have major threat, then again, it's far from the country we grew up in.

There's an idea. Replace socialist security with communism :laugh:

Kathianne
12-27-2023, 11:07 AM
There's an idea. Replace socialist security with communism :laugh:

You did note the 'ignorant' adjective I had in there. ;) Desperation does make for idiocy on many fronts.

Gunny
12-27-2023, 11:10 AM
You did note the 'ignorant' adjective I had in there. ;) Desperation does make for idiocy on many fronts.I DID note the use of the word "ignorant". Not my fist choice for a word :halo9:

Kathianne
12-27-2023, 11:16 AM
I DID note the use of the word "ignorant". Not my fist choice for a word :halo9:

Nope, it's probably the most appropriate. There's absolutely no understanding/knowledge of history. The depth of ignorance, regardless of amount of years in 'school' is deeper than I ever thought possible. Hell, they're racing to, actually demanding a return to the Dark Ages.

Gunny
12-28-2023, 09:45 AM
Nope, it's probably the most appropriate. There's absolutely no understanding/knowledge of history. The depth of ignorance, regardless of amount of years in 'school' is deeper than I ever thought possible. Hell, they're racing to, actually demanding a return to the Dark Ages.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. I do recall in days of yore both of us, and others, holding out higher hopes and unwilling to accept the fact these people are just stupid. They were "willfully ignorant/blind", to be kind and PC. Ignorance is merely a lack of knowledge which can be remedied. Stupid has no fix.

I'm no longer holding out on the hope there is a fix for the vast majority of sheeple. As you say, no amount of education can fix these idiots. Any harm is justified by "the cause" or is someone else's fault.

fj1200
12-28-2023, 09:45 AM
I get the perception thing. I agree it should not be called retirement but don't agree with calling welfare because it is not. I view it the same as supplemental insurance for lack of a better comparison. Not the primary source for retirement income, but still a source that I earned.

Anyone planning in relying solely on SS for retirement needs to start their education at learning math:laugh:

Don't make me go all semantics on you. :martian: