PDA

View Full Version : Texas’ border standoff with feds continues, despite U.S. Supreme Court order

Gunny
01-24-2024, 05:35 PM
This is the best article I could find on the current situation 'round here. Lot of wordsmithing going on. I'm going with Abbott's interpretation. Biden is and has been derelict in his duty as President and steadfastly has refused to enforce current law. The whole "let's make a new law" crap going on in Congress is nothing more than smoke.

Texas’ border standoff with Border Patrol continues | The Texas Tribune (https://www.texastribune.org/2024/01/24/texas-border-wire-supreme-court/)

SassyLady
01-24-2024, 11:01 PM
Interesting how the vote from SCOTUS came down .. 5-4. Roberts and Barrett sided with liberals.

Gunny
01-25-2024, 11:36 AM
Interesting how the vote from SCOTUS came down .. 5-4. Roberts and Barrett sided with liberals.I can see it though I don't agree with it.

One, who has final authority? Remove mitigating factors and the federal government has final authority. I can see a branch of federal government supporting its own authority. Especially at a time when the Court's authority and legitimacy is being attacked by the left and MSM.

Using the Abbott definition: the court stated Border Patrol can cut the wire to assist criminals illegally entering the country. Doesn't say Abbott can't put it right back up and he apparently intends to do so.

When you include the mitigating factors, IMO, the Court should have ordered Biden to enforce existing immigration law. I get the impression the Court punted, not wanting to have to deal with it.

revelarts
01-25-2024, 12:30 PM
Interesting how the vote from SCOTUS came down .. 5-4. Roberts and Barrett sided with liberals.
I've always said Roberts wasn't to be trusted.
"Federalist"
a "law and order" judge = the gov't has the right to do what it wants.

Gunny
01-25-2024, 05:30 PM
I've always said Roberts wasn't to be trusted.
"Federalist"
a "law and order" judge = the gov't has the right to do what it wants.Agreed. He's been a disappointment from go.