PDA

View Full Version : Quit Smoking Gained Weight

Kathianne
02-10-2024, 12:40 PM
Granted it was over 2 years, but now I really want to get back to my normal weight. Soooo, gotta watch what I'm eating. If given my druthers, I'd eat pastries all day, with an occasional piece of chicken thrown in once or twice a week. Yeah, I am more mature than that, but it's carbs I've got to watch. I've been good for a couple weeks and the pounds are coming off.

So, rather than running to the bakery for a prize, I decided to make some breakfast burritos to put in freezer. Thaw the day before and heat up in skillet in the morning. Since I'm more or less doing intermittent fasting, not fine counting calories; the higher calorie breakfast doesn't really matter since it's my larger meal of the day. Made 5 big burritos, for 10 breakfasts: refried beans, black beans, Pico de Gallo, Monterey Jack cheese, bacon, red peppers, and scrambled eggs.

Just had one, so good. Yay me! LOL!

Gunny
02-10-2024, 12:50 PM
Granted it was over 2 years, but now I really want to get back to my normal weight. Soooo, gotta watch what I'm eating. If given my druthers, I'd eat pastries all day, with an occasional piece of chicken thrown in once or twice a week. Yeah, I am more mature than that, but it's carbs I've got to watch. I've been good for a couple weeks and the pounds are coming off.

So, rather than running to the bakery for a prize, I decided to make some breakfast burritos to put in freezer. Thaw the day before and heat up in skillet in the morning. Since I'm more or less doing intermittent fasting, not fine counting calories; the higher calorie breakfast doesn't really matter since it's my larger meal of the day. Made 5 big burritos, for 10 breakfasts: refried beans, black beans, Pico de Gallo, Monterey Jack cheese, bacon, red peppers, and scrambled eggs.

Just had one, so good. Yay me! LOL!Good for you :)

I've always heard but never really understood about the weight gain from quitting smoking. I've seen it turn otherwise normal human beings into total assholes:laugh: THAT I get. I've always put a lot of the weight gain on replacing smoking with eating but have been told that even if you hammer down on your diet, you're gaining the weight.

Must be something chemical. While I have casually spent some time considering it, it hasn't been enough to research it :)

Kathianne
02-10-2024, 12:57 PM
Good for you :)

I've always heard but never really understood about the weight gain from quitting smoking. I've seen it turn otherwise normal human beings into total assholes:laugh: THAT I get. I've always put a lot of the weight gain on replacing smoking with eating but have been told that even if you hammer down on your diet, you're gaining the weight.

Must be something chemical. While I have casually spent some time considering it, it hasn't been enough to research it :)

Maybe, I'd like to blame it on something other than rewarding myself for not smoking and grabbing hard candy instead of smoking. LOL! I still am using the candy crutch, but now limit myself to 5 pieces while working-for some reason not a problem when not working. I really liked grabbing a cig break, rather than sitting in lunch room. Smokers are a friendly bunch!

Pretty much having homemade soup for dinner, with some fruit and cottage cheese. Days off, like today, do a regular meal. So biggest change is not giving into having desserts or rich entrees-my favorite things to cook. ;)

fj1200
02-10-2024, 03:13 PM
... Since I'm more or less doing intermittent fasting...

That's the best way forward I think. I'm not very good at it but I'm sure I'll be awesome at IF when there's no more kids in the house.

Kathianne
02-10-2024, 04:13 PM
That's the best way forward I think. I'm not very good at it but I'm sure I'll be awesome at IF when there's no more kids in the house.

What's weird is my kids always ate pretty healthy. Up until the oldest reached 8th grade or so, they'd have an occasional pop with some chips. Sometimes they'd get candy from grandma's house, she always had candy. Suddenly, they all went no more 'junk food.' No chips, donuts, soda. I never bought much, but now it was all fruits, veggies, and hummus. All 3 of them. Now they would eat desserts if I made them, though they'd be, "Mom, you really shouldn't..." Daughter went vegetarian for a bit, but that passed. She still only eats chicken and fish, the boys still are Chicago based carnivores. LOL!

Chicago charcuterie board:

https://external-preview.redd.it/i-grew-up-in-illinois-chicago-charcuterie-board-lol-v0-4QR9r2cNnJLtx7ffItSo6yG0XcghA1_piNknK7cRS6I.jpg?au to=webp&4dca93f0
Dang image won't post. :(
https://external-preview.redd.it/i-grew-up-in-illinois-chicago-charcuterie-board-lol-v0-4QR9r2cNnJLtx7ffItSo6yG0XcghA1_piNknK7cRS6I.jpg?au to=webp&4dca93f0

For the most part now I go meatless 3 days a week, fish 2, and chicken 2. More veggies and fruit, right now little sweets-other than hard candy. Usually some. ;)

fj1200
02-11-2024, 12:12 PM
What's weird is my kids always ate pretty healthy. Up until the oldest reached 8th grade or so, they'd have an occasional pop with some chips. Sometimes they'd get candy from grandma's house, she always had candy. Suddenly, they all went no more 'junk food.' No chips, donuts, soda. I never bought much, but now it was all fruits, veggies, and hummus. All 3 of them. Now they would eat desserts if I made them, though they'd be, "Mom, you really shouldn't..." Daughter went vegetarian for a bit, but that passed. She still only eats chicken and fish, the boys still are Chicago based carnivores. LOL!

Chicago charcuterie board:

Dang image won't post. :(

For the most part now I go meatless 3 days a week, fish 2, and chicken 2. More veggies and fruit, right now little sweets-other than hard candy. Usually some. ;)

Weeeelllllll maybe it's my wife buying them sugar-coated, sugar-bombs, on sale of course, and my inability to not eat them at about 1130 at night when I think nobody will know. :ashamed: