PDA

View Full Version : Teacher That Criticized 'Woke Kindergarten' Program Put On Paid Leave

Kathianne
02-10-2024, 01:13 PM
I don't know if this story was covered here, not finding anything. Basically a $250k program in CA district to teach little kids how to be 'woke warriors.' Shockingly scores did not improve, in fact they fell.

Many teachers questioned the program, this guy went public:

https://nbcmontana.com/news/nation-world/california-teacher-who-blasted-woke-kindergarten-placed-on-leave-bitter-paid-vacation

California teacher who blasted 'Woke Kindergarten' placed on leave: 'Bitter paid vacation'by RAY LEWIS | Crisis in the ClassroomFri, February 9th 2024

HAYWARD, Calif. (CITC) — A California elementary school teacher is on leave after he criticized the school's decision to spend $250,000 to train educators on disrupting “whiteness."

Hayward Unified School District (HUSD) has assigned Glassbrook Elementary School educator Tiger Craven-Neeley an excused absence, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. The move comes after the teacher spoke to the publication about his outrage over HUSD's contract with "Woke Kindergarten," a program which reportedly contains "woke words of the day" and "unconventional questions rooted in liberatory thought."

Craven-Neeley claims district officials summoned him to a video conference Thursday, ordering him to stay away from his classroom and give the school his keys and laptop for “unprofessional conduct.”

“It’s like a bitter paid vacation on taxpayer dollars,” he told the San Francisco Chronicle. “They are totally not taking the students into consideration.”

READ MORE | California elementary school spent $250K on 'Woke Kindergarten' program, report says

Craven-Neeley reportedly attended a staff meeting with HUSD Superintendent Jason Reimann the day prior regarding his public criticism of "Woke Kindergarten." It grew tense after an hour, when Craven-Neeley's coworker pointed in his face and told him he was a disgrace and “danger” to Glassbrook before exiting the room, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

“I was shocked. This is my school. I didn’t do anything inappropriate,” Craven-Neeley said. “I was very shaky.”
Craven-Neeley alleges the district will attempt to veil its retaliatory efforts. When reached for comment Friday, HUSD told Crisis in the Classroom (CITC) that while it cannot "comment on private personnel matters," it does not "place employees on leave for retaliatory purposes."

HUSD Public Information Director Michael Bazeley reportedly says Glassbrook has received dozens of threatening messages due to Craven-Neeley's public criticism.

“I don’t think any teacher or staff member wakes up expecting to be dragged through the mud of the national media,” Bazeley said, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. “They’ve been very resilient, but it has taken its toll.”

The creator of "Woke Kindergarten" says the curriculum was designed to reconstruct traditional learning methods and mobilize students in progressive causes.

The organization did not immediately return CITC's request for comment Friday.