PDA

View Full Version : A Christian nation...Not so much.

bullypulpit
10-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Turns out that more people know the components of a Big Mac batter than they do the Ten Commandments...80% to be exact.

The full story:

<center><a href=http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0705643.htm>Survey: More Americans know Big Mac ingredients than Ten Commandments</a></center>

Dilloduck
10-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Turns out that more people know the components of a Big Mac batter than they do the Ten Commandments...80% to be exact.

The full story:

<center><a href=http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0705643.htm>Survey: More Americans know Big Mac ingredients than Ten Commandments</a></center>

Hey--that's a trick question. The 10 Commandments are Jewish.

Immanuel
10-16-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm not surprised by this. First, the 10 commandments are not drilled into our heads every Sunday in church. Also, while many may not know the actual commandments, they understand what those commandments represent.

On the other hand, when I was younger the "two all beef patties, special sauce, onions, lettuce, pickles on a sesame seed bun" theme song played regularly on every (wasn't it just three at the time) TV station and every radio station day in and day out for years on end.

Doggone it, now that jingle is flirting through my head!!

Thanks a lot BP!

Immie

manu1959
10-16-2007, 08:45 PM

The full story:

if you taught it public schools they would know it.....in any event given the way people behave these days i am shocked that many knew them.....

BoogyMan
10-16-2007, 09:08 PM

The full story:

The ten commandments were not given to Christians BP, they were given to the Israelites and only nine of them are restated in the NT. If you are going to opine with regard to religion, one might think you would have done some reading first.

Cheyenne
10-16-2007, 09:25 PM
.. only nine of them are restated in the NT...
Which text are you referring to?

Yurt
10-16-2007, 10:24 PM
The ten commandments were not given to Christians BP, they were given to the Israelites and only nine of them are restated in the NT. If you are going to opine with regard to religion, one might think you would have done some reading first.

Uh, what happened to the 10th one? I thought not one jot or tittle shall change from the law.

KarlMarx
10-17-2007, 05:55 AM

The full story:

<CENTER>Survey: More Americans know Big Mac ingredients than Ten Commandments (http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0705643.htm)</CENTER>
1. I am the Lord Thy God, thou shalt have no other gods before me
2. Thou shalt not make for thee any graven image
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord, Thy God, in vain
4. Remember the Sabatth and keep it holy
5. Honor thy father and thy mother
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery
7. Thou shalt not kill
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife
10. Thous shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods

Big Luigi
Salami
Provolone Cheese
Cappacollo
Pepperoni
Garlic Cloves
Olive Oil
Big Honkin Loaf of Italian Bread

Wash it down with a big glass of vino -- bon appetito! Then a bella femina, some moonlight and dancing to Tony Bennet records....

PostmodernProphet
10-17-2007, 06:25 AM
11. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's good wife?
12. Thou shall not covet they neighbor's wife's goods?

and I agree....I still haven't figured out Boogy's view that one got eliminated.....

glockmail
10-17-2007, 07:48 AM

The full story:

So what does this have to do with your premise? :pee:

BoogyMan
10-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Which text are you referring to?

I am specifically calling out the fact that you won't find "remember the Sabbath and keep it holy" in the NT Cheyenne.

Immanuel
10-17-2007, 08:06 AM
I am specifically calling out the fact that you won't find "remember the Sabbath and keep it holy" in the NT Cheyenne.

Oh, I don't know about that. I think the Pharisees tried to beat Jesus over the head with that one a few times. :p I'm sure I can find, "How dare you heal on the Sabbath?" paraphrased in just a few seconds.

Not that it came from God mind you, but, it is in there.

Immie

BoogyMan
10-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Uh, what happened to the 10th one? I thought not one jot or tittle shall change from the law.

Not one jot or tittle has disappeared, we are just no longer under it Yurt.

BoogyMan
10-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh, I don't know about that. I think the Pharisees tried to beat Jesus over the head with that one a few times. :p I'm sure I can find, "How dare you heal on the Sabbath?" paraphrased in just a few seconds.

Not that it came from God mind you, but, it is in there.

Immie

You are missing my point Immie, I am dealing with whether it was restated as a commandment under the NT.

The Pharisees trying to bring it into the new law is just as silly as those who tried to claim that you still must be circumcised to be a Christian.

Immanuel
10-17-2007, 08:12 AM
You are missing my point Immie, I am dealing with whether it was restated as a commandment under the NT.

The Pharisees trying to bring it into the new law is just as silly as those who tried to claim that you still must be circumcised to be a Christian.

No, I wasn't. I understood your point very well and I agree with you.

Immie

bullypulpit
10-17-2007, 09:12 AM
1. I am the Lord Thy God, thou shalt have no other gods before me
2. Thou shalt not make for thee any graven image
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord, Thy God, in vain
4. Remember the Sabatth and keep it holy
5. Honor thy father and thy mother
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery
7. Thou shalt not kill
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife
10. Thous shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods

Big Luigi
Salami
Provolone Cheese
Cappacollo
Pepperoni
Garlic Cloves
Olive Oil
Big Honkin Loaf of Italian Bread

Wash it down with a big glass of vino -- bon appetito! Then a bella femina, some moonlight and dancing to Tony Bennet records....

Sounds like a great gnosh, but my wife HATES Tony Bennet. :cheers2:

bullypulpit
10-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm not surprised by this. First, the 10 commandments are not drilled into our heads every Sunday in church. Also, while many may not know the actual commandments, they understand what those commandments represent.

On the other hand, when I was younger the "two all beef patties, special sauce, onions, lettuce, pickles on a sesame seed bun" theme song played regularly on every (wasn't it just three at the time) TV station and every radio station day in and day out for years on end.

Doggone it, now that jingle is flirting through my head!!

Thanks a lot BP!

Immie

Sorry, you have my abject and most humble apology.

Yurt
10-17-2007, 07:10 PM

You won't find it says "do not keep the sabbath day holy" either :)

Yurt
10-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Not one jot or tittle has disappeared, we are just no longer under it Yurt.

No longer bound by the 10 commandments? Or just the 9? Hmmm, new thread?