PDA

View Full Version : Virginia school board votes to restore Confederate names

Gunny
05-10-2024, 10:07 AM
Wait for the lawsuits.

Virginia school board votes to restore Confederate names (bbc.com) (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68985412)

Kathianne
05-10-2024, 10:14 AM
Wait for the lawsuits.

Virginia school board votes to restore Confederate names (bbc.com) (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68985412)

At the time, I was against all the tearing down/storing of statues and renaming of schools and other buildings. Not so sure though that returning to names is the best way to go-just not sure. In no way would I want to be endorsing confederate thinking. I do think that memorials and statues should be returned, perhaps with more information given on why these men/women if there, were important, even if not always right.

Gunny
05-10-2024, 10:35 AM
At the time, I was against all the tearing down/storing of statues and renaming of schools and other buildings. Not so sure though that returning to names is the best way to go-just not sure. In no way would I want to be endorsing confederate thinking. I do think that memorials and statues should be returned, perhaps with more information given on why these men/women if there, were important, even if not always right.

The longer I live in current Nation the less the "Confederate thing" bothers me. Not so much because of the specific of the CSA; rather, the hypocrisy that racist bigots and haters seem to control the current narrative but have a cow at the mention of the CSA.

I go to the last line of text: heritage, not hate. I'm against tearing down history. It's against the law in Germany to be a Nazi, but they keep those extermination camps and keep them open for a reason. Learning from your mistakes doesn't include forgetting them.

Kathianne
05-10-2024, 11:00 AM
The longer I live in current Nation the less the "Confederate thing" bothers me. Not so much because of the specific of the CSA; rather, the hypocrisy that racist bigots and haters seem to control the current narrative but have a cow at the mention of the CSA.

I go to the last line of text: heritage, not hate. I'm against tearing down history. It's against the law in Germany to be a Nazi, but they keep those extermination camps and keep them open for a reason. Learning from your mistakes doesn't include forgetting them.

I don't disagree, though it certainly would hold more weight if they didn't have some in that county flying the Confederate flag.

SassyLady
05-10-2024, 05:10 PM
If we allow Mexican, Ukrainian, Palestinian, israel, etc. flags to fly why not confederate flag? We know immediately where the mindset is of those who fly any flag other than the Stars and Stripes.

Kathianne
05-10-2024, 05:12 PM
If we allow Mexican, Ukrainian, Palestinian, israel, etc. flags to fly why not confederate flag? We know immediately where the mindset is of those who fly any flag other than the Stars and Stripes.
I'm pretty sure it's legal. :laugh: Try to remove it from private property and we'll be sure.

SassyLady
05-10-2024, 05:22 PM

Kathianne
05-10-2024, 05:25 PM
You got to love how people that complain about the lack of free speech are so for doing away with it. Same with all parts of the Constitution.