PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Movie Commercials Worse than Piracy?

-Cp
10-17-2007, 12:17 PM
LOL.... I'd love to see this guy get his class-action some traction....

http://www.themovieblog.com/2007/10/why-commercials-before-movies-is-worse-than-piracy

Here's a snip:

Being subjected to advertising is just something we’ve come to expect in our daily routines, and for most of us, we’ve become so conditioned to various advertising methods that we don’t even think twice about it. There is nothing wrong with advertising in and of itself. It’s how we learn about products, services and entertainment. Advertising is also the big main source of revenue for things we hold dear like television and The Movie Blog (which is 100% funded by advertising), so I’m certainly never going to rail on the evils of advertising.

darin
10-17-2007, 12:34 PM
has he started a class-action?

-Cp
10-17-2007, 12:35 PM
has he started a class-action?

He should..>:P

Hagbard Celine
10-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I love paying eight dollars to see advertisements. We've actually begun to pay corporations to advertise to us. Unbelievable.

-Cp
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I love paying eight dollars to see advertisements. We've actually begun to pay corporations to advertise to us. Unbelievable.

Actually, folks have been doing that for years with Cable TV and Satellite TV...

Both services charge customers yet still show the same amount of commercials as "free TV"...

IMO - Cable or Satellite TV should be like XM Satellite Radio with reduced or no commercials - "free TV" would, of course, be supported by ads....

mrg666
10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Actually, folks have been doing that for years with Cable TV and Satellite TV...

Both services charge customers yet still show the same amount of commercials as "free TV"...

IMO - Cable or Satellite TV should be like XM Satellite Radio with reduced or no commercials - "free TV" would, of course, be supported by ads....

the same in the uk
sattelite and cable full of ads apart from movie channels who are sponsored by
the bbc is the channel with no ads apart from internal and political broadcasts however we do pay a liscence fee each year for that privelidge
this allows them to make ground breaking tv well did allow them to not since black adder and red dwarf have they broke any ground

darin
10-17-2007, 12:58 PM

Very good point! :)

Nukeman
10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I hate the fact that I PAY for satalite TV and I get a s**T load of commercials. This ticks me off to no end.

I pay a premium for the variety of channels and they are all filled with more commercials than regular braodcast TV. I would love to see a class action lawsuit go forth on this!!!!!!

-Cp
10-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I hate the fact that I PAY for satalite TV and I get a s**T load of commercials. This ticks me off to no end.

I pay a premium for the variety of channels and they are all filled with more commercials than regular braodcast TV. I would love to see a class action lawsuit go forth on this!!!!!!

The only way to change this problem is to have folks start teling their cable/satellite providers that they're going to cancel services unless the commercials stop...

Tell them "If I want commercials, I'll gladly go back to free TV"...

But that's a pipe-dream, folks will not dump their TV service...

dan
10-17-2007, 01:34 PM
the same in the uk
sattelite and cable full of ads apart from movie channels who are sponsored by
the bbc is the channel with no ads apart from internal and political broadcasts however we do pay a liscence fee each year for that privelidge
this allows them to make ground breaking tv well did allow them to not since black adder and red dwarf have they broke any ground

That's pretty funny, on this side of the Atlantic, a lot of us think the BBC is putting out some of the best television around! The Office alone was a groundbreaking, and it altered network television here in the States in a major way.

Just curious, do you guys have no choice but to pay that liscence fee, like it's in your taxes, or do you just pay if you want BBC?

Abbey Marie
10-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I'll trade two minutes of ads, for the jerk kicking the back of my chair at every movie.

-Cp
10-17-2007, 01:56 PM
I'll trade two minutes of ads, for the jerk kicking the back of my chair at every movie.

That's one of MANY reasons that I don't go to Theater's anymore...

mrg666
10-17-2007, 02:15 PM
That's pretty funny, on this side of the Atlantic, a lot of us think the BBC is putting out some of the best television around! The Office alone was a groundbreaking, and it altered network television here in the States in a major way.

Just curious, do you guys have no choice but to pay that liscence fee, like it's in your taxes, or do you just pay if you want BBC?

we gotta pay by law if you havent got a tv you have to prove it
ah yes the office i forgot
however i got a chance to watch the first two seasons of the us version and i gotta admit it was a fantastic conversion and whole heartedly believe it even funnier than the origional i know gervaise directed or produced but carole owned it
also dont forget dr who that started in the 60's but they have revamped it well
considering they sell a lot of these progs around the globe the liscence fee keeps on going up
over the years in the wake of sattelite tv and cable the other terrestial commercial channels have struggled slightly for revenue (via adds )
but the bbc could litteraly have one viewer per channel but ....well

dan
10-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, that sucks.

I also liked Spaced, a show that was on, I think, BBC4. It was by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, the guys who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Extras is good (I know, I know, more Gervais!), I've heard great things about the new Battlestar Galactica (I'm not much of a sci-fi guy though), and if we're going for BBC classics, how much more influential on comedy can you be than Monty Python's Flying Circus? British TV rules!

I do like the US Office, although I felt the first season stuck too close to the British one. I think we should do all our shows the way you guys do it, with seasons being six or eight episodes instead of 22, that's why American sitcoms get old so fast.

gabosaurus
10-26-2007, 12:01 PM
The theater chains are responsible for this, not the motion picture industry. The theaters sell the advertising.
Not only that, but some theaters are combating the rise of people arriving late for movies (to avoid the ads) by not allowing entry after the lights go down.
I learned this from my sister, who works for a movie studio.