PDA

View Full Version : Yes, Turkey IS A Member Of the Axis Of Evil

Kathianne
05-14-2024, 09:12 AM
Gunny I think it's safe to say we're in agreement that Turkey should be removed from NATO?

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2024/05/14/erdogon-defends-hamas-treating-1000-hamas-fighters-in-turkey-n3788319

Erdogon Defends Hamas; Treating 1000 Hamas Fighters in TurkeyDAVID STROM 10:00 AM | May 14, 2024

Presidential Press Service via AP, Pool
This is...disturbing.

On so many levels. Turkey, a NATO country, is accepting Hamas terrorists and treating them in its hospitals.

Aside from the obvious fact that a NATO member country is backing Hamas and sheltering terrorists, the question of how these fighters escaped from Gaza and wound up in Turkey in the first place.

WTF is going on?

First, the context. Erdogan was meeting with longtime rival Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis. The two countries are trying to thaw relations, which haven't been good since the steppe tribes captured the Anatolian Peninsula and colonized the region, kicking out the Greek inhabitants. As you may recall, the peninsula was the heart of the Eastern Roman Empire. Istanbul used to be Constantinople, after all.

I guess the current Turks are settler colonialists, and Erdogan is itching to give back the entire peninsula to the Greeks, right? Is there a Greek right of return?

Down with the Ottomans! Let's get those university students excited about this!

Erdogan got very animated defending Hamas:

Monday’s summit between Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, heralded as a milestone in improving ties between the historically hostile nations, was marked instead by Erdogan’s spirited defense of Hamas during a live press conference that followed their meeting in Ankara and his disclosure that over 1,000 Hamas members were being treated in Turkey.

“There is a very important issue on which we disagree,” Erdogan told the audience. “I do not see Hamas as a terror organization."

Noting that Palestinian lands have been occupied since 1947, Erdogan said that “Hamas is a resistance group” that was “waging a struggle to protect” Palestinian lands. “If one calls Hamas that has lost 40,000 of its people a terrorist organization, this would be a heartless approach,” Erdogan added. He then dropped the bombshell: “As of this moment, I am following Hamas step by step, and there are more than 1,000 Hamas members who are all being treated in our hospitals. This is how we are doing things. … I cannot agree with your approach. This would be unfair,” Erdogan concluded. He did not explain how the Hamas militants had made their way to Turkey.

Media reports later cited Turkish officials claiming Erdogan misspoke regarding militants being treated in the country, but Ankara has yet to issue any official clarification.

Read more: https://www.al-monitor.com/originals/2024/05/erdogan-rebukes-greek-pm-calling-hamas-terrorists-says-1000-members-being-treated#ixzz8a8krIgWR

So is Erdogan right, or those unnamed Turkish officials? I know what I think, but you can make up your own mind. I think it was a Kinsley gaffe, accidentally telling the truth.

Erdogan is a huge thorn in NATO's side. The country has been moving in the Islamist direction but is also a member of the alliance. It is about as strategically placed as a country can possibly be, controlling the Bosphorus straight. While it has a long history of hostility toward Russia, it has been inching its way toward being a de facto Russian ally.

But an implicit alliance with Hamas--actually giving aid and comfort to a terrorist entity, is more than a complication. Most countries would be sanctioned for what Erdogan is doing openly.

Then there is the other major issue: how did Hamas terrorists make their way to Turkey amid a war?

Mitsotakis handled Erdogan’s outburst skillfully, saying “let us agree to disagree.” But the exchange will have put something of a damper ahead of a state dinner that Erdogan is hosting in his Greek guest’s honor. It will not have helped that Mitsotakis rebuked Erdogan in his remarks for last week’s formal conversion of the Chora, an iconic Greek Orthodox Church, into a full-service mosque, calling it “unfortunate.” Erdogan retorted that “Turkey has set an example for all as a country that preserves its cultural heritage … the Chora Mosque is open to everybody with its new identity.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Foreign Ministry declined to comment on Erdogan’s revelations about the Hamas members being treated in Turkey. Hay Eytan Yanarocak, a Turkey expert at Tel Aviv University, said, “There’s a big difference between treating wounded civilians and treating Hamas militants.”

“This is a new low,” Yanarocak said, and canceled out the “positive news” that junior Israeli diplomats were returning to Ankara following months after being withdrawn in October amid security concerns.

I haven't had enough grasp on Turkey's utility to NATO in the current context to have an opinion about how this should be handled. In an ideal world we could rebuke Turkey and even sanction them, but we don't live in an ideal world. We often have to deal with and even ally with less-than-savory characters, and perhaps Turkey is one of those. Carter certainly was mistaken about prioritizing human rights in Iran over realpolitik. We shouldn't make the same mistake twice.

No doubt the answer will become clear. Whatever Biden does will be the wrong move.

Gunny
05-14-2024, 11:31 AM
@Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30) I think it's safe to say we're in agreement that Turkey should be removed from NATO?

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2024/05/14/erdogon-defends-hamas-treating-1000-hamas-fighters-in-turkey-n3788319That's a good question. How about Erdogan should be removed from power?

No, I haven't gone soft on Turks. Their treachery is superseded only by their arrogant, back-stabbing and viewing things only in the vein of "What's best for Turkey". There's really nothing new here when it comes to talking out both sides of their mouths.

Which brings me to my next point: what's Turkey doing differently than that boob in the WH? Everything he's doing in the name of "humanitarianism" (funny how when the US wages war the same standard doesn't apply) is a direct slap in the face to Israel. I wouldn't want to be our "ally" anymore than I would Turkey's. So long as these two fuckwits maintain their perches atop the fence, nothing is going to be resolved and the human meat grinder is going to continue.

In the meantime, I'm of the opinion that if we kicked Turkey out of the UN, we would have to march into Turkey and take the place. Strategically, the country sits right in the center of everything. And those arrogant assholes know it. Neither side (West v East) can afford to let Turkey fall to the other.

Kathianne
05-14-2024, 11:58 AM
That's a good question. How about Erdogan should be removed from power?

No, I haven't gone soft on Turks. Their treachery is superseded only by their arrogant, back-stabbing and viewing things only in the vein of "What's best for Turkey". There's really nothing new here when it comes to talking out both sides of their mouths.

Which brings me to my next point: what's Turkey doing differently than that boob in the WH? Everything he's doing in the name of "humanitarianism" (funny how when the US wages war the same standard doesn't apply) is a direct slap in the face to Israel. I wouldn't want to be our "ally" anymore than I would Turkey's. So long as these two fuckwits maintain their perches atop the fence, nothing is going to be resolved and the human meat grinder is going to continue.

In the meantime, I'm of the opinion that if we kicked Turkey out of the UN, we would have to march into Turkey and take the place. Strategically, the country sits right in the center of everything. And those arrogant assholes know it. Neither side (West v East) can afford to let Turkey fall to the other.

You're right on Biden and Co. He's got to go.

Gunny
05-14-2024, 12:03 PM
You're right on Biden and Co. He's got to go.Wonder if the Republicans have a Plan B if their fearless leader gets jail time. Looks like Trump is facing yet another conviction is a first for being prosecuted:rolleyes:

Much as I can't stand the guy, he had his shit together better than current doddering old fool of a jellyfish. He's doubling down on leaving as much chaos in his wake as he possibly can.

Kathianne
05-14-2024, 12:15 PM
Wonder if the Republicans have a Plan B if their fearless leader gets jail time. Looks like Trump is facing yet another conviction is a first for being prosecuted:rolleyes:

Much as I can't stand the guy, he had his shit together better than current doddering old fool of a jellyfish. He's doubling down on leaving as much chaos in his wake as he possibly can.

I don't know how the trials will end, if convicted I just can't see them not being overturned. It's not that I think innocent, rather not due process. This gqg over is outrageous and I don't want to hear Trump.

Black Diamond
05-14-2024, 12:18 PM
Wonder if the Republicans have a Plan B if their fearless leader gets jail time. Looks like Trump is facing yet another conviction is a first for being prosecuted:rolleyes:

This and possible dnc trouble in Chicago goes back to my "interesting summer" comment.

Gunny
05-14-2024, 12:20 PM
This and possible dnc trouble in Chicago goes back to my "interesting summer" comment.Waiting for the next pandemic.

Kathianne
05-16-2024, 09:05 AM
https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2024/05/16/turkey-goes-all-in-against-israel-n3788494

Turkey Goes All In Against IsraelJAZZ SHAW 9:20 AM | May 16, 2024

Presidential Press Service via AP, Pool
Has Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan finally lost his mind entirely? It seems possible after he addressed the Turkish Parliament yesterday. Railing against the war in Gaza, Erdogan proclaimed to his legislators that it's Israel that poses the true threat of escalation. He claimed that if they succeeded in defeating Hamas, they would not stop with taking Gaza. He said that the Israelis would next attack Turkey "with its delusions about a promised land." Erdogan has been a frequent critic of Israel and has hosted Hamas leaders in his country during the war, offering the terror group material and financial support. If we needed any further evidence that Turkey is not a stable NATO ally under Erdogan's leadership, this should seal the deal. (The Defense Post)

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday claimed that Israel would “set its sights” on Turkey if it succeeded in defeating Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

Erdogan, a vocal critic of Israel’s war in the Palestinian territory following Hamas’ attack on October 7, has often expressed support for the Palestinian group as defenders of their homeland.

Hamas is classed as a terrorist organization by Israel, the United States, and the European Union, amongst others.

“Do not think that Israel will stop in Gaza,” Erdogan told his party lawmakers in the parliament in the capital Ankara.

This tweet announcing the news drew some understandable snark in response.

In order to take this threat seriously, one would have to believe, as John Hawkins pointed out, that a country that has only fought defensive wars for 75 years would suddenly launch an attack on a NATO state while they are largely being armed by another NATO country. It's an obviously preposterous claim, but Erdogan is clearly trying to gin up more animosity against Israel. Erdogan is far more closely aligned with Russia at this point than NATO and it's a mystery to me why they continue to be allowed membership in the alliance.

Erdogan went on to praise Hamas, saying that he would continue to stand by the terror group as they "fight for the independence of its own land and which defends Anatolia." (Anatolia is the Turkish peninsula that's also known as Asia Minor.) He also revealed that more than 1,000 Hamas fighters are currently being treated in Turkish hospitals. This is a literal example of providing aid and comfort to the enemy.

This position represents a significant policy shift for Turkey. Back in 1949, less than a year after Israel's declaration of independence, Turkey recognized them as a sovereign nation and established formal diplomatic relations with them. Turkey was the first majority-Muslim country to do so. Their relations have hit a few rocky points over the years, but we've never seen anything as bad as the current standoff under Erdogan's rule. On May 2, Erdogan cut diplomatic ties with Israel and announced that he was cutting off access to Turkish ports for Israeli shipping.

Unfortunately, Turkey's position may be spreading in the region, particularly in Greece. President Karolos Papoulias has already stated that he supports an end to the fighting and would like to push for the formal recognition of an independent Palestinian state. He hasn't gone so far as to support military action against Israel, but his tendencies are more in line with Erdogan than with the United States and Israel's other allies.

If we're fortunate, Israel will soon finish off the last of Hamas' battalions in Rafah and bring the serious stage of the fighting to a close. This is turning into a highly divisive situation, not only on American college campuses but among our allies as well. We still have no idea what a post-war Gaza will look like, but there needs to be some level of order restored.

Gunny
05-16-2024, 01:24 PM
https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2024/05/16/turkey-goes-all-in-against-israel-n3788494That's pretty crackpot. Perhaps the Turks will see it. The statement itself is nonsense.

In Erdogan's little fantasy Israel suddenly leapfrogs Lebanon and Syria to invade Turkey? With what? I doubt Israel has the numbers to occupy even Syria, much less Turkey. Not to mention going through Lebanon and Syria would put Israel in direct conflict with Iran and Russia, respectively.