PDA

View Full Version : Need Tires? Good discount!

darin
10-17-2007, 01:56 PM
www.discounttiredirect.com is showing $100 off a set of four tires or wheels.

Neat! :)

glockmail
10-17-2007, 02:07 PM
By the time you pay for shipping, drag them over to a tire shop, then beg the guy and pay a premium to put them on, balance them, and not destroy your wheels, the $100 you saved is long gone.

By the way I got 20's and pimp wheels on my new ride. Does that make me a wigger?

darin
10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Not even close - prices from them are consistently cheaper w/o the discount, to make it worth the hassle. FWIW, $10/tire for mounting and balancing is the norm.

I personally cannot find the tires my car wants for that site's price + $10. :)

glockmail
10-17-2007, 02:20 PM
They can charge 10 bucks because they make money from selling you the tires. So when a cheap bastard comes in with some brand new tires from the internet they just may make a "mistake" and fuck up your wheels or tires- or both. No warrantee on items not sold here- sorry.

Also how much is your time worth? And goodwill towards your local dealer?

It ain't worth it.

Besides, buy three, get one free is also the norm for periodic sales. And when there's no sale, you can typically talk the guy down a bunch.

darin
10-17-2007, 02:48 PM
They can charge 10 bucks because they make money from selling you the tires. So when a cheap bastard comes in with some brand new tires from the internet they just may make a "mistake" and fuck up your wheels or tires- or both. No warrantee on items not sold here- sorry.

No - they charge ME that when I bring my tires, purchased tax free online, for mounting and balancing. :) You're paranoid. NO shop would ever jack up your rims because you bought the tires elsewhere. That's silly. :)

My time? Worth about $45/hr. That's why it's much easier to buy better products online. :)

It ain't worth it.

Unless you want to save money.

Besides, buy three, get one free is also the norm for periodic sales. And when there's no sale, you can typically talk the guy down a bunch.

Nobody EVER sells good tires around here for deals like that. :(

actsnoblemartin
10-17-2007, 03:14 PM
tires are cool :cool:

Jon
10-17-2007, 04:13 PM

It ain't worth it.

Discount Tire is also a major nationwide chain. If you're that worried about it, go to the nearest Discount Tire retailer with the "quote" you received online. They'll match or beat it.

jackass
10-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Costco has 60 bucks off plus free rotating and balancing for the life of your tire, and free road hazard.

darin
10-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Do they have good tires?

Jon
10-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Do they have good tires?

I think you might want to define "good" tires. To some (most) here, a good tire is one that works well in all types of weather and lasts for 80k miles. ;)

darin
10-17-2007, 05:49 PM
:D Those to me are 'dangerous' tires, cuz they wouldn't be as sticky as I'd like/use them to be.

FWIW, at costco.com, the cheapest tire they sell for my car is $188.

Yeah...no dice.

glockmail
10-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Discount Tire is also a major nationwide chain. If you're that worried about it, go to the nearest Discount Tire retailer with the "quote" you received online. They'll match or beat it. I go to a local family-run operation with 6 bays and they do the same thing. Call 'em up a day in advance and they can get any brand, any size.

Actually come to think of it my last set was at the dealer. His price wasn't that bad, not like they used to be. I had $1500 work done all at the same time so I could save a trip. Brakes, a window fixed, all fluids, changed.

To me its about saving time. And the damn hassle.