PDA

View Full Version : City hikes Boy Scouts' rent by $199,999 over gay ban

stephanie
10-18-2007, 12:16 PM
By Joseph A. Slobodzian

Inquirer Staff Writer

The Boy Scouts of America's refusal to bend its rules to permit gay scouts will cost the organization's local chapter $200,000 a year if it wishes to keep its headquarters in a city-owned building on Logan Square.
Representatives of the Boy Scouts of America's Cradle of Liberty Council were notified that to remain in their 79-year-old landmark headquarters, they needed to pay the city a "fair market" rent, Fairmount Park Commission president Robert N.C. Nix said yesterday. Currently, the rent is $1 a year.

The city decided on the rent proposal after it was unable to reach a compromise with the local scout council in talks that have gone on since May.

"Once we know what the Cradle of Liberty Boy Scouts want to do, we'll probably want to weigh in with the city about how to proceed," Nix told the park commission.

Barring a resolution, the Cradle of Liberty Council - about 64,000 scouts in Philadelphia and parts of Delaware and Montgomery Counties - must vacate the property at 22d and Winter Streets after May 31.

"It's disappointing, and it's certainly a threat," said Jeff Jubelirer, a spokesman for Cradle of Liberty Council, referring to the rent's impact on the scouts' chances of staying on the site.

Jubelirer said $200,000 a year in rent "would have to come from programs. That's 30 new Cub Scout packs, or 800 needy kids going to our summer camp."

Nevertheless, Jubelirer said, scouting officials will ask City Solicitor Romulo L. Diaz Jr. for details on the real estate appraisals that yielded the $200,000 rent figure.

Cradle of Liberty officials have said they could not renounce the scouts' long-established policy of not opening membership to atheists or openly gay people without running afoul of their charter with the scouts' National Council.

City officials have said they could not legally rent taxpayer-owned property for a dollar a year to a private organization that discriminates.

The land belongs to the City of Philadelphia but has been leased since 1928 for that token sum to the scouts, who built the landmark Beaux Arts building.

That lease came into question only after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in 2000 in a New Jersey case involving an openly gay scout who was barred from serving as troop leader.

SNIP:
The resolution was introduced unexpectedly by Councilman Darrell L. Clarke and passed, 16-1, with no debate.

Both Clarke, a Center City Democrat whose district includes the scouts building, and Diaz, a prominent member of the city's gay community, said they hoped the resolution would spur talks to resolve the dispute.

read the rest at...
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20071018_City_hikes_Boy_Scouts_rent_by__199_999_ov er_gay_ban.html

10-18-2007, 12:33 PM
they are trying to screw over my scout region. stupid city.

stephanie
10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
A Democrat, along with a homosexual activist proposed this....

So I'm sure it's gotta be for the good of "THE CHILDREN"...

Abbey Marie
10-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Long-term, these scouts are learning what real discrimination looks like, and may grow up more conservative as a result.

glockmail
10-18-2007, 12:52 PM
This proves once again that the libs are the ones who are intolerant, and, like fascists, will use government power to squash anyone that opposes them.

theHawk
10-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Next thing you know they'll be fined for not permitting known pedophiles from becoming scout leaders.

glockmail
10-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Its almost the same thing, as have been proven in another thread.

chesswarsnow
10-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. This is an OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. GD Bastards!
3. I think the *Boy Scouts* should sue them Bastards!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Guernicaa
10-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I was a Boy Scout, and speaking from experience, Boy Scouts is nothing more than a place for socially incapable teenagers to feel better about themselves between acts of burning wood and tying knots.

I was a Boy Scout because A)My parents wanted me to do it when I was younger and B)Because my scout master was my teacher and he told me that putting your an Eagle Scout is a HUGE bonus when applying for colleges.

I spent about 3-4 years before I had enough.

Guernicaa
10-18-2007, 07:48 PM
And actually, my scout master, who was a Republican, constantly bitched about how stupid it was that Boy Scouts have a ban on gay kids. He cited numerous times when Boy Scouts of America wasn't given millions of dollars because the sponsors didn't like the gay ban.
Their loss.

glockmail
10-18-2007, 08:05 PM
I was a Boy Scout, and speaking from experience, Boy Scouts is nothing more than a place for socially incapable teenagers to feel better about themselves between acts of burning wood and tying knots.

I was a Boy Scout because A)My parents wanted me to do it when I was younger and B)Because my scout master was my teacher and he told me that putting your an Eagle Scout is a HUGE bonus when applying for colleges.

I spent about 3-4 years before I had enough. Whouda thunk that you'd flunk out of the BSA?

I don't see that my son, soon to Eagle, is any more socially inept than any other kid his age. One of the scouts in our troop gave a speech during the Court of Honor on how the troop helped him build traits that allowed him to be popular at school, and how before he basically had no friends. His boku-cute girlfreind was there that night too. :boobies:

glockmail
10-18-2007, 08:08 PM
And actually, my scout master, who was a Republican, constantly bitched about how stupid it was that Boy Scouts have a ban on gay kids. He cited numerous times when Boy Scouts of America wasn't given millions of dollars because the sponsors didn't like the gay ban.
Their loss.

I wouldn't worry about the scouts needing money. In real estate alone they're worth billions. Add in the endowments and contrubutions from millions of allumni, and they basically have enough change to start a small country. :laugh2:

BoogyMan
10-18-2007, 09:00 PM
"On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight."

Nice! :D

glockmail
10-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Sounds like a major threat to liberalism.

Abbey Marie
10-18-2007, 10:52 PM
"On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight."

Nice! :D

How contemptible! :rolleyes:

actsnoblemartin
10-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Sounds to me like liberalism is gay :lol:

Maybe we should raise the rent of bath houses in san fran sicko :laugh2:

Sounds like a major threat to liberalism.

JackDaniels
10-19-2007, 12:27 AM
A private organization has the right to limit membership to it's internal values.

However, that's not the point. The point is that this wouldn't be an issue, except for the fact that big government politicians insist on turning the government into a real estate company. The government shouldn't be renting out space to begin with, and then, we wouldn't have a problem.

actsnoblemartin
10-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Excellent point. The government owning land, is a political power play anyway.

A private organization has the right to limit membership to it's internal values.

However, that's not the point. The point is that this wouldn't be an issue, except for the fact that big government politicians insist on turning the government into a real estate company. The government shouldn't be renting out space to begin with, and then, we wouldn't have a problem.

Abbey Marie
10-19-2007, 08:49 AM

What should they do with idle parkland? Why not earn some income from it and donate it to charity. Or use it to fix roads. How about museums that are dark at night? Cocktail parties in the evening at famous museums are fantastic and don't hurt anyone.

JackDaniels
10-19-2007, 12:59 PM
What should they do with idle parkland? Why not earn some income from it and donate it to charity. Or use it to fix roads. How about museums that are dark at night? Cocktail parties in the evening at famous museums are fantastic and don't hurt anyone.

What you have described may sound well and good, but it isn't relevant to the topic at hand. You don't see how government renting land to private organization is different than a museum hosting a cocktail party?

JohnDoe
10-19-2007, 01:41 PM
i think the government should sell back their income properties to the highest bidder. They shouldn't hold on it.... the less the gvt owns the better imo! And in private hands, i would bet that more jobs would be created!!!

also, this has occured because of a supreme court ruling right....? Though it seems that the boyscouts should be ''grandfathered'' somehow, since it had this agreement with the city for decades...?

$3 bucks a head, for their 64,000 members would cover the rent, but i suppose that is not the point of this thread.

Abbey Marie
10-19-2007, 04:16 PM
What you have described may sound well and good, but it isn't relevant to the topic at hand. You don't see how government renting land to private organization is different than a museum hosting a cocktail party?

The parties I've been to are hosted by private organizations who rent the museum space for the evening. No difference.

JackDaniels
10-19-2007, 07:56 PM
The parties I've been to are hosted by private organizations who rent the museum space for the evening. No difference.

You don't see a difference in control between long term renting and one night reservations?

Yurt
10-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Seems to me that the City is guilty of "bill of attainder" and the rent hike should be stricken all unconstitutional.

Abbey Marie
10-20-2007, 02:19 PM
You don't see a difference in control between long term renting and one night reservations?

Only on the most superficial level, that of duration. If government leasing to a group is wrong, it's wrong for one day or several years.

I don't see a problem with this type of revenue production, as long as the environment is unharmed.

mrg666
10-20-2007, 02:22 PM
A Democrat, along with a homosexual activist proposed this....

So I'm sure it's gotta be for the good of "THE CHILDREN"...

the kids will be the only ones who suffer in reality
how can kids be "openly gay " or for that matter athiests ??

musicman
10-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Seems to me that the City is guilty of "bill of attainder" and the rent hike should be stricken all unconstitutional.

You may be on to something there, Yurt - although the specific constitutional prohibition against it that I'm aware of is aimed at the federal government. Other than that, though, a bill of attainder must involve the meting out of punishment for a crime - and that certainly smells like what's going on here!

trobinett
10-20-2007, 03:26 PM

ABSOLUTLY...................:clap:

Yurt
10-20-2007, 05:38 PM
You may be on to something there, Yurt - although the specific constitutional prohibition against it that I'm aware of is aimed at the federal government. Other than that, though, a bill of attainder must involve the meting out of punishment for a crime - and that certainly smells like what's going on here!

Actually can be civil too. It is a fed issue, but I was thinking of using at a local level and possibly using the argument of preemption.

actsnoblemartin
10-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Because their parents are militant atheists or gays, or militant gay atheists.

Oh god give it to me in the butt.

thats awkward :lol:

the kids will be the only ones who suffer in reality
how can kids be "openly gay " or for that matter athiests ??

mrg666
10-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Because their parents are militant atheists or gays, or militant gay atheists.

Oh god give it to me in the butt.

thats awkward :lol:

hey you have a very distinctive way with words young man
:laugh2:

manu1959
10-20-2007, 10:22 PM

yea lots of incapable folks......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_notable_Eagle_Scouts_(Boy_Scouts_of_Americ a)

Gary Ackerman; Representative from New York, serving twelfth term.[2]
James C. Adamson; Retired Army colonel and astronaut who flew on shuttle missions STS-28 and STS-43.[3]
Peter Agre; Biologist who was awarded the 2003 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his discovery of aquaporins.a[›][4][5]
Bill Alexander; Former representative from Arkansas.[6]
Lamar A. Alexander; Senator from Tennessee; previously Governor of Tennessee and United States Secretary of Education.a[›][2]
Bill Amend; Cartoonist, best known for his comic strip FoxTrot.[7]
John Edward Anderson; Founder of Topa Equities, Ltd., namesake of UCLA John E. Anderson School of Management.a[›]
Neil Armstrong; Retired astronaut who flew on the Gemini 8 and Apollo 11 missions, test pilot, and naval aviator; famous as the first human to set foot on the Moon.a[›][3][8]
Marvin J. Ashton (deceased); Member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, businessman and Utah state senator.[9]
Norman Ralph Augustine; Aircraft businessman and former CEO of Martin Marietta Aerospace.a[›][10]

[edit] B

Lloyd Bentsen
Sanford Bishop
Guy Bluford Lawrence S. Bacow; President of Tufts University and former chancellor of Massachusetts Institute of Technology.a[›][8]
David A. Bader; Georgia Tech professor.[11]
James P. Bagian; Physician and astronaut who flew on shuttle missions STS-29 and STS-40.[3]
Willie Banks; Olympic competitor and world-record-holding track star.[1]
Marion S. Barry; Member of the Council of the District of Columbia, former mayor of Washington, D.C.[12]
Harry Brinkley Bass (deceased); Navy fighter pilot killed in action over France during World War II, awarded the Navy Cross twice and the Silver Star. The USS Brinkley Bass was named in his honor.[13]
Stephen Bechtel, Jr.; Chairman Emeritus and Director of Bechtel Group, Inc..a[›]
John Beck; National Football League (NFL) quarterback.[14]
Albert Belle; Former Major League Baseball outfielder for the Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox, and Baltimore Orioles. Considered by many to be one of the leading sluggers of his time, he was the first player to hit 50 doubles and 50 home runs in a single season.[15]
Charles Edward Bennett (deceased); Representative from Florida.a[›]
Lloyd M. Bentsen Jr. (deceased); Four-term senator from Texas and nominee for vice president. Representative, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee and Secretary of the Treasury.a[›][1]
Lee R. Berger; Internationally renowned paleoanthropologist, physical anthropologist and archeologist.[16]
Dick Beyer; Retired professional wrestler, schoolteacher and coach.[17]
Jeff Bingaman; Senator from New Mexico and former attorney general of New Mexico.[18]
Arthur Gary Bishop (deceased); Serial killer.[19]
Sanford Bishop; Representative from Georgia.a[›][20]
Michael Bloomberg; Mayor of the City of New York, prominent businessman and the founder of Bloomberg L.P.[21][8][22]
Guy Bluford; Retired Air Force colonel and astronaut who participated in four flights of the Space Shuttle-STS-8, STS-39, STS-53, and STS-61-A. First African American in space. Designated as the emissary to return the Challenger flag.[3]
Charles Bonesteel (deceased); Army general who commanded the US forces in Korea from 1966 to 1969.a[›]
Ken Bowersox; Astronaut, test pilot and Navy captain who is a veteran of seven space flights-STS-50, STS-61, STS-73, STS-82, STS-113, Expedition 6 and Soyuz TMA-1.[3]
William W. Bradley; Rhodes Scholar, former star basketball player who later became a senator and presidential candidate.a[›][1][8][22]
Charles E. Brady, Jr. (deceased); Astronaut who flew on shuttle mission STS-78.a[›][3]
James Brady; Gun control advocate and White House Press Secretary under President Ronald Reagan who was shot and became permanently disabled during the Reagan assassination attempt.a[›]
Stephen Breyer; Associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.[23][8][22]
Sherrod Brown; Senator from Ohio.[24]
Russell Adam Burnham; Great-grandson of Frederick Russell Burnham and U.S. Army's Soldier of the Year in 2003.[25][26]

[edit] C

George Coker, receiving his DESA
John Creighton John T. Caldwell (deceased); Educator who served as the chancellor of North Carolina State University from 1959-1975.[27]a[›]
William D. Campbell (deceased); Founder of the World Scout Foundation, member of World Scout Committee.a[›]
Milton Caniff (deceased); Cartoonist famous for the Terry and the Pirates and Steve Canyon comic strips.a[›][1]
Gerald P. Carr; Retired Marine Corps colonel and former astronaut who flew onboard Skylab 4.a[›]
Sonny Carter (deceased); Astronaut who flew on shuttle missions including STS-33.a[›]
Roger B. Chaffee (deceased); Navy pilot and astronaut on Apollo 1.[3]
Kirk Chambers; NFL football player for the Buffalo Bills.[28]
Gregory Chamitoff; Astronaut who is a backup crew-member for International Space Station Expedition 15.[3]
Kim B. Clark; President of Brigham Young University-Idaho from 2005 to present, former Dean of the Faculty at Harvard Business School.a[›]
Tom C. Clark (deceased); Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.a[›]
Thad Cochran; Senior senator from Mississippi.a[›]
George Thomas Coker; Retired Navy commander, honored with the Navy Cross for his leadership as a prisoner of war (POW) during the Vietnam War.a[›][29][8][22]
Barber Conable (deceased); Representative from New York, former president of the World Bank.a[›]
Richard O. Covey; Retired astronaut who was the pilot for the first "Return To Space" flight and flew shuttle missions STS-26, STS-38, STS-51-I, STS-61.a[›]
Mike Crapo; Senator from Idaho.a[›]
John Oliver Creighton; Navy combat veteran and retired astronaut who flew shuttle missions STS-51-G, STS-36 and STS-48.[3]
John W. Creighton, Jr.; Civilian aide to the secretary of the Army; former CEO of Weyerhaeuser Co. and United Air Lines; former national president of the BSA.a[›]
Jim Cooper Tennessee Congressman.[30]
Edgar Cunningham (deceased); Earliest known African American Eagle Scout, awarded in 1926.[31]
Ben Curtis; Actor best known for his Dell ads.[32]
Clive Cussler; Adventure novelist and successful amateur marine archaeologist, founder of National Underwater and Marine Agency (NUMA).[33]

[edit] D

Aquilla J. DyessJames Dale; Litigant in Boy Scouts of America v. Dale.[34]
William E. Dannemeyer; Honorary national chairman of Citizens for a Better America and former representative from California.a[›]
Hal Daub; Representative from Nebraska, serving four terms, lawyer and former mayor of Omaha, Nebraska.a[›]
William DeVries; Cardiothoracic surgeon who performed the first successful permanent artificial heart implantation.[1]
Michael S. Dukakis; Former governor of Massachusetts and former presidential candidate.a[›][8]
Charles Moss Duke, Jr.; Retired Air Force brigadier general and astronaut. As a member of Apollo 16 he became one of only twelve men who have walked on the moon.a[›][8]
James Henry "Red" Duke, Jr.; Renowned surgeon, host of his own medical TV series and Texan icon who founded Houston's Life Flight using a model that was adopted nationally[35]a[›]
Aquilla J. Dyess (deceased); Lieutenant colonel in the Marine Corps during World War II who was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously for "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life" during the Battle of Kwajalein.[36][8]

[edit] E

Arthur EldredRonnie Earle; District attorney for Travis County, Texas known for bringing to light the Jack Abramoff controversies and for filing charges against House majority leader Tom DeLay.[37]
John D. Ehrlichman (deceased); Assistant to President Richard Nixon.a[›]
Donn F. Eisele (deceased); Air Force colonel and Apollo 7 astronaut.[3]
Arthur Rose Eldred (deceased); Agricultural official and executive and Navy veteran of World War I who became the first Eagle Scout. Also received the Bronze Honor Medal for lifesaving, and was the first of three generations of Eagle Scouts.[38]
Mike Enzi; Senator from Wyoming.a[›][8]
Daniel J. Evans; Former three-term governor of Washington and former senator.a[›]

[edit] F

Gerald Ford
Steve FossettPhilo Farnsworth (deceased); Inventor, holder of first patent for an electronic television.[5]
Jay Fawcett; Politician, decorated combat veteran and co-founder of Veterans for a Secure America.[39]
Jim Feldkamp; Politician, former Navy aviator, combat veteran and former FBI agent.[40]
Robert Edward Femoyer (deceased); Army Air Forces navigator during World War II who was awarded the Medal of Honor.[41]
Lawrence Ferlinghetti; Poet who is best known as the co-owner of the City Lights Bookstore and publishing house, which published early literary works of the Beat generation.[42]
Alva R. Fitch (deceased); Lieutenant general in the Army and former Deputy Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency.[43]
Michael G. Fitzpatrick; Former U.S. Congressman from Bucks County, PA.[44]
Eugene B. Fluckey (deceased); Navy submarine commander during World War II who received the Medal of Honor.[45]
Tom Foley; Former representative from Washington, former speaker of the House of Representatives, former ambassador to Japan.[1]
Gerald R. Ford Jr. (deceased); 38th President of the United States.a[›][1][8]
Dave Foreman; Co-founder of environmental activist group Earth First.[46]
Patrick G. Forrester; Astronaut who flew on STS-105.[3]
Steve Fossett; Aviator and adventurer known for his five world record non-stop circumnavigations of the Earth: as a long-distance solo balloonist, as a sailor, and as a solo airplane pilot; president of the National Eagle Scout Association.a[›][1]
Michael E. Fossum; Colonel in the Air Force Reserve and astronaut who flew on STS-121 as a mission specialist.[3]
Murphy J. Foster, Jr.; Politician who was the former governor of Louisiana.[47]
Daniel Frisa; Journalist and former representative for New York.[48]
C. Gordon Fullerton; Research pilot, retired Air Force colonel and astronaut who flew STS-3 and STS-51-F.[3]

[edit] G

Robert Gates
Dick GephardtChan Gailey; Head coach of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets football team and former head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.[49][8]
John Garamendi; 46th Lieutenant Governor of California, former California Insurance Commissioner, former Deputy United States Secretary of the Interior.a[›]
Robert Gates; Secretary of Defense, Former President of Texas A&M University, former CIA director, former President of the National Eagle Scout Association.a[›][1]
William H. Gates, Sr.; Lawyer and CEO of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, father of Bill Gates.a[›][8][22]
E. Gordon Gee; President of several universities and law professor.a[›]
Dick Gephardt; Former Majority Leader of the United States House of Representatives, former representative from Missouri, former presidential candidate.a[›]
Louie Gohmert; Representative from Texas.[50]
Stephen Goldsmith; Author, politician, professor, and educator, former mayor of Indianapolis.a[›]
Matt Gonzalez; Politician, attorney, and editorial writer. Former member and president of the San Francisco, California Board of Supervisors from the Green Party.[51]
Ronald M. Gould; Judge on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and former professor at the University of Washington.a[›]
William G. Gregory; Retired Air Force lieutenant colonel and astronaut who served on shuttle mission STS-67.[3]
S. David Griggs (deceased); Navy Reserve admiral and astronaut who served on shuttle mission STS-51-D.[3]
John H. Groberg; Emeritus member of the First Quorum of the Seventy for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.a[›]

[edit] H

"Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt with Baden-Powell Bradley Haddock; Vice president, general counsel, and secretary of Koch Chemical Technology Group, LLC.a[›]
David Hahn; "Radioactive Boy Scout" who attempted to build a nuclear reactor at age seventeen.[52]
H. R. Haldeman (deceased); White House Chief of Staff.[53]
William Hanna (deceased); Animator, director, producer, cartoon artist, and co-founder of Hanna-Barbera.a[›]
John M. Harbert (deceased); Businessman who founded Harbert Management Company.a[›]
Alfred Harvey (deceased); Founder of Harvey Comics.[54]
John Briggs Hayes (deceased); Commandant of the United States Coast Guard.a[›]
J. D. Hayworth; Former representative from Arizona and former television and radio journalist.[55]
Bobby Henderson; Creator of the parody religion Flying Spaghetti Monsterism.[56]
Jeb Hensarling; Representative from Texas.[57]
Richard Herman, Chancellor of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign[58]
Robert T. Herres; Retired chairman of USAA Group, retired Air Force general who was the first Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and recipient of the Silver Buffalo Award.a[›]
Dudley R. Herschbach; Chemist and Frank B. Baird Jr. Professor of Science at Harvard University who won the 1986 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.a[›]
William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt (deceased); Danish Knight-Scout considered to be the father of American Boy Scouting and the Scoutmaster to the World due to his prolific writings and teachings in the areas of troop and patrol structure, training, and the development of the American adaptation of the Wood Badge program.a[›]
Jeffrey A. Hoffman; Co-director of the Massachusetts Space Grant Consortium at MIT's Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, former astronaut who flew on shuttle missions STS-51-D, STS-35, STS-46, STS-61 and STS-75.[59]
Mark Hofmann; Forger and murderer.[60]
George Hooks; politician Georgia State Senate.[61][62][63]
L. Ron Hubbard (deceased); Pulp fiction and science fiction writer and founder of Scientology and Dianetics.[64]
Donald Keith Hummel; Roman Catholic priest of the Archdiocese of Newark.[65]
Howard W. Hunter (deceased); 14th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.a[›]

[edit] I

Darwin Judge
[edit] J
Gregory H. Johnson; Astronaut.[59]
Jay L. Johnson; Navy Admiral and fighter pilot, 26th Chief of Naval Operations.a[›]
E. Fay Jones (deceased); Noted architect and designer.[66]
Thomas David Jones; Retired astronaut who flew on shuttle missions STS-59, STS-68 and STS-80.[59]
Darwin Judge (deceased); Marine who was an embassy security guard and was one of the last two US servicemen killed in the Vietnam War.[67]

[edit] K

William KeelerMichael Kahn; Recognized film editor who won the Academy Award for Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List and Raiders of the Lost Ark.[1]
Ewing Kauffman (deceased); Founder of Marion Laboratories and owner of the Kansas City Royals.a[›]
William Henry Keeler; Cardinal Archbishop of Baltimore.a[›]
Alfred Kinsey; Biologist and professor of entomology and zoology who is known for his research on human sexuality.[68]
Harry Knowles; Internet film critic.[69]
Gus Kohntopp; Commercial pilot with Southwest Airlines and colonel in the Idaho Air National Guard who was identified as one of the pilots involved in the 190th Fighter Squadron, Blues and Royals friendly fire incident - March 28, 2003.[70]
Jon Koncak; Retired professional basketball player for the Atlanta Hawks and the Orlando Magic.[1]

[edit] L

James Lovell I. Beverly Lake; Jurist and public official, formerly the chief justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court.a[›][71]
Charles R. Larson; retired Navy admiral, member of the board of Northrop Grumman Corporation.a[›]
Greg Lashutka; Lawyer and former mayor of Columbus, Ohio, former NFL player for the Buffalo Bills.a[›]
Mark C. Lee; Retired Air Force officer and astronaut who flew on shuttle missions STS-30, STS-47, STS-64, and STS-82.[59]
Sheldon Leonard (deceased); Pioneering film and television producer, director, writer, and actor.[72]
Howard Lincoln; CEO of Seattle Mariners baseball team and former chairman of Nintendo of America. In 1956 he posed for The Scoutmaster painting by Norman Rockwell.a[›]
Don L. Lind; Retired astronaut who flew SpaceLab mission STS-51-B.[59]
Steven W. Lindsey; Air Force colonel and astronaut who flew on shuttle missions STS-87, STS-95, and STS-104.[59]
Gary Locke; Lawyer and former governor of Washington.a[›][8]
Andrew Looney; Award-winning game designer, writer, cartoonist, photographer, computer programmer and activist.[73]
James Lovell; Retired astronaut who flew on missions Gemini 7, Gemini 12, Apollo 8, and Apollo 13, former president of National Eagle Scout Association.a[›][1][8][22]
James Loy; former Deputy Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), first administrator of the Transportation Security Administration, and former Commandant of the Coast Guard.a[›]
Dick Lugar; Senator from Indiana.a[›][8]
David Lynch; Award winning filmmaker and actor.[74]

[edit] M

William McCool
Sid McMath in WWII
Michael Moore Tom Mack; Offensive left guard for Los Angeles Rams and member of Pro Football Hall of Fame.a[›]
Mark Madsen; NBA basketball player with Minnesota Timberwolves, coach of youth basketball camp.[8]
Ray Malavasi (deceased); Head coach of NFL's Denver Broncos and Los Angeles Rams.a[›]
J.W. "Bill" Marriott, Jr.; Chairman and CEO of Marriott International.a[›][1][8][22]
Wynton Marsalis; Trumpeter and composer who has been awarded nine Grammys and the Pulitzer Prize.[75]
Robert J. Mazzuca; Professional Scouter and current Chief Scout Executive.[76]
William C. McCool (deceased); Pilot of the Columbia shuttle mission STS-107.[59][8]
Michael J. McCulley; Chief Executive Officer of United Space Alliance and retired astronaut who flew on shuttle mission STS-104.[59]
Rob McKenna; Washington state Attorney General.[77]
Sid McMath (deceased); Decorated Marine, renowned attorney and progressive reform Governor of Arkansas.[78]
Robert McNamara; Business executive and former United States Secretary of Defense.[79]
Michael R. McNulty; Representative from New York.[80]
Roy W. Menninger; Physician and former leader of the Menninger Foundation, older brother of Walter.a[›]
W. Walter Menninger; Physician and former leader of the Menninger Foundation, younger brother of Roy.a[›]
George Meyer; Writer and producer of The Simpsons.[81]
Richards "Doc" Miller; Dentist, one of the founders of Venturing, one of the authors of Wood Badge in the 21st Century and the 2003 Boy Scout Field Book.a[›]
Tony Miller; Lawyer and former Chief Deputy for the California Secretary of State.[82]
Scott Mitchell; Former NFL quarterback.[83]
Lloyd Monserratt (deceased); Political and community leader in California.[84]
Michael Moore; Academy Award winning film director, author, social commentator, and comedian.[85]
Jim E. Mora; Sport radio commentator and analyst. Former head coach of the Baltimore Stars, New Orleans Saints and the Indianapolis Colts.a[›]
John "Jack" Murtha; Representative from Pennsylvania, and decorated war veteran.[2]

[edit] N
Ben Nelson; Senator from Nebraska and former governor.a[›]
Ozzie Nelson (deceased); Noted actor and band leader.a[›]
Henry Nicols (deceased); An international AIDS activist.[86]
Sam Nunn; Businessman and politician who is the co-chairman and CEO of the Nuclear Threat Initiative. Former US senator from Georgia.a[›][1]

[edit] O

Ellison OnizukaThomas J. O'Brien; Treasurer of Plymouth County, former Massachusetts State Representative, CEO of the Plymouth River Eels baseball team.[87][88]
Brian O'Leary; Retired astronaut who was the deputy team leader for Mariner 10.[59]
Ellison Onizuka (deceased); Air Force lieutenant colonel and astronaut who flew on shuttle mission STS-51-C. He died onboard Space Shuttle Challenger.[59][8]
Stephen S. Oswald; Navy rear admiral and retired astronaut who flew on shuttle missions STS-42, STS-56, and STS-67.a[›][59]

[edit] P

Mitchell Paige
Samuel Pierce Mitchell Paige (deceased); Marine Corps hero who was awarded the Medal of Honor for actions during the Battle of Guadalcanal.a[›][8]
Francis J. Parater (deceased); Catholic seminarian from Virginia nominated for sainthood.[89][90]
Scott E. Parazynski; Astronaut who flew missions STS-66, STS-86, STS-95 and STS-100.[59]
Henry Paulson; former CEO of Goldman Sachs, president of The Nature Conservancy, United States Treasury Secretary.[8][22]
Edward A. Pease; Former representative from Indiana and former chairman of the National Order of the Arrow Committee.a[›]
J. H. Binford Peay III; General, US Army, 14th superintendent of Virginia Military Institutea[›][8]
Ross Perot Sr.; Businessman (CEO of EDS and Perot Systems) and politician who ran for president in 1992 and 1996.a[›][1][8][22]
Rick Perry; Governor of Texas.[91][92]
Donald Pettit; Astronaut who participated in missions STS-113, Expedition 6 and Soyuz TMA-1.[59]
Fred Phelps; Leader of Westboro Baptist Church.[93]
J. J. Pickle (deceased); Representative from Texas.a[›]
Samuel Pierce (deceased); Lawyer who was the United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.a[›]
Danny Pintauro; Actor known for his role in Who's the Boss?.[94]
Jon Powers; Co-star of Gunner Palace and founder of War Kids Relief, currently running for congress.[95]

[edit] Q

[edit] R

Donald Rumsfeld Jere Ratcliffe; Retired Chief Scout Executive of the Boy Scouts of America.a[›]
Beasley Reece; Sports announcer and former NFL defensive back.a[›][96]
Kenneth S. Reightler, Jr.; Retired astronaut who flew on shuttle missions STS-48 and STS-60.[59]
Frederick Reines (deceased); Physicist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1955.[97]
Robert Coleman Richardson; Physicist who was awarded the 1996 Nobel Prize.[98]
John Edward Robinson; Serial killer.[99]
James D. Rogers; CEO of Kampgrounds of America, brother of T. Gary.a[›]
T. Gary Rogers; CEO of Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream, brother of James.a[›]
Dana Rohrabacher; Representative from California and former special assistant to President Ronald Reagan.a[›]
Kevin Rose; Founder of Digg and co-host of Diggnation.[100]
Mike Rowe; Host of Dirty Jobs and narrator.[101]
Warren Rudman; Former attorney general and senator from New Hampshire.a[›]
Donald Rumsfeld; former United States Secretary of Defense, former representative and ambassador to NATO.a[›][1]

[edit] S

Terry Sanford
Samuel Skinner
Steven Spielberg Harrison Salisbury (deceased); Journalist who was awarded the Pulitzer prize.a[›][1]
James Sanderson; Retired Navy vice admiral.a[›]
Dale V. Sandstrom; Justice on the North Dakota Supreme Court.a[›]
Mark Sanford; Governor of South Carolina.[8]
Terry Sanford (deceased); Governor of North Carolina, president of Duke University.a[›][8]
Robert Lee Scott, Jr. (deceased); Air Force brigadier general, WWII fighter ace, commander of Flying Tigers, and author of God is My Co-Pilot.a[›][8]
Richard A. Searfoss; Retired Air Force colonel and astronaut who flew on shuttle missions STS-58, STS-76, and STS-90.[59]
Elliott See (deceased); Astronaut who was the backup pilot for Gemini 5 before his death.[59]
Jefferson B. Sessions III; Senator from Alabama.a[›]
Pete Sessions; Representative from Texas.a[›][8]
William Sessions; Judge and former director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.a[›][8]
Raymond P. Shafer (deceased); Lawyer and former governor of Pennsylvania.a[›]
Casey Sheehan (deceased); Army specialist who was killed in action during the Iraq War, son of activist Cindy Sheehan.[102]
Paul Siple (deceased); Antarctic explorer and geographer who took part in six Antarctic expeditions, having first gone representing the Boy Scouts of America as an Eagle Scout, later helped develop the principle of wind chill[103]
Ike Skelton; Representative from Missouri.a[›]
Samuel K. Skinner; Politician and businessman who served as Secretary of Transportation and White House Chief of Staff, CEO of Commonwealth Edison, CEO of US Freightways, on the board of directors of Odetics ITS, and on the board of directors of Dade Behring.a[›]
Chuck Smith; President and CEO of AT&T West.a[›]
Gordon Smith; Lawyer and businessman, senator from Oregon.a[›]
Stephan Smith; Singer-songwriter, musician, poet and political activist.[104]
Steven Spielberg; Academy Award-winning film director.a[›]
Wallace Stegner (deceased); Historian, novelist, short story writer, and environmentalist who won the Pulitzer prize.[105]
Ryan Stout; stand-up comedian.[106]
Bart Stupak; Lawyer and US representative from Michigan.[2]
Percy Sutton; Civil rights activist, pilot with Tuskegee Airmen, lawyer and entrepreneur who co-founded the Inner City Broadcasting Corporation and revitalized the Apollo Theater.a[›]

[edit] T

Carlisle TrostJohn Tesh; New age and contemporary Christian musician and nationally syndicated radio host.[107]
Cy Thao; Laotioan-born Hmong state representative (DFL) in Minnesota.[8]
Meldrim Thomson, Jr. (deceased); Served three terms as governor of New Hampshire.[108]
Jackson Thoreau; Writer, journalist, and author.[109][110]
Leo K. Thorsness; U.S. Air Force fighter pilot, Vietnam War prisoner of war, Medal of Honor recipient.[111]
Rex Tillerson; chairman and CEO of ExxonMobil Corporation[112]
Leonard H. Tower Jr.; free software activist, hacker, and founding member of the Board of Directors of the Free Software Foundation[113]
Carlisle Trost; Navy submarine officer, graduated first in his class in 1953 from both the U.S. Naval Academy and submarine officer school, 23rd Chief of Naval Operations.<a[›]
Richard H. Truly; Retired Navy vice admiral and astronaut who flew on shuttle missions STS-2 and STS-8 and first former astronaut to head NASA.a[›]

[edit] U

[edit] V
J. Kim Vandiver; Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor & engineer.[114]a[›]
Paul K. Van Riper; Retired Lt. Gen. of the U.S. Marine Corps.[115]
Victor Veysey (deceased); Politician from California who was the assistant secretary for Civil Works for the Army, secretary for industrial relations for California, a congressman, a member of the California state assembly and a professor at CalTech and Stanford.a[›]
Richard Vinroot; Attorney and politician from Charlotte, North Carolina who is a former mayor of Charlotte.a[›]

[edit] W

Togo D. West
William Westmoreland John D. Waihee III; First Native Hawaiian governor of Hawaii.a[›]
David M. Walker (deceased); Astronaut who flew missions STS-51-A, STS-30, STS-53 and STS-69.[59]
Sam Walton (deceased); Founder of Wal-Mart and Sam's Club the largest single employer in the world.a[›]
Ehren Watada; First commissioned officer in the U.S. armed forces to publicly refuse deployment to Iraq, saying that he believed the Iraq War to be illegal.[116]
Larry D. Welch; President of the Institute for Defense Analyses and retired Air Force general and fighter pilot who was the Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force.a[›]
Togo D. West, Jr.; Attorney and public official, president of the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. He was the former United States Secretary of Veterans Affairs and former United States Secretary of the Army.a[›][1]
William Westmoreland (deceased); Army general who commanded US military operations in the Vietnam War at its peak and who served as Chief of Staff of the United States Army.a[›]
John C. Whitehead; Chairman of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation and World Trade Center Memorial Foundation, former chairman of Goldman Sachs, veteran of WWII.a[›]
Charles Whitman (deceased); Spree killer known as the University of Texas tower sniper.[117]
E. O. Wilson; Distinguished biologist, researcher, theorist, naturalist and a prominent intellectual.[118]a[›]
Walter B. Wriston (deceased); Chairman of Citicorp.a[›]

[edit] X

Elmo Zumwalt
[edit] Y

[edit] Z
Jay Zeamer, Jr. (deceased); Army Air Forces pilot during World War II who was awarded the Medal of Honor.[119]
Elmo R. Zumwalt, Jr. (deceased); Navy admiral and 19th Chief of Naval Operations.a[›]

actsnoblemartin
10-20-2007, 10:53 PM
thank you :)

hey you have a very distinctive way with words young man
:laugh2:

mrg666
10-20-2007, 11:25 PM
thank you :)

hey you wellcome n its true :lol:

musicman
10-21-2007, 01:02 AM
Actually can be civil too. It is a fed issue, but I was thinking of using at a local level and possibly using the argument of preemption.

Gotcha, and - again - I think you may be on to something. This amounts to nothing less than punishment of the BSA for their beliefs.