PDA

View Full Version : NEVER Buy a TOSHIBA!!!

Pale Rider
02-06-2007, 11:04 PM
In December of 2005, after I had done extensive research on features, reliability and consumer comments, I bought a 46 inch Toshiba DLP, HDTV, model 46HM95. $1,800.00 freakin' dollars. It wasn't long before the audio and the video were out of sync. Repair number one. Then one of the fans inside it started sounding like a dirt bike. Replaced fan. Repair number two. Wasn't long after that the same fan that had been replaced started singing like a chain saw. Even worse than the original one. So this time the technician replaced a huge sub assembly called the light engine. Basically the whole damn thing where ALL the fans are. Repair number three. Now, just got home from work, turned on the TV, no picture. Sound, no picture. The set attempts to turn on like nine times, on and off, on and off, then just off. Nothing but blinking lights. I'm PISSED! This is repair number FOUR, and according to my $400, four year, full replacement warranty I purchased with the set, IT'S REPLACEMENT TIME. I'd LOVE to kick this thing in, stomp on it until it's in little pieces, and then throw it in the trash. Best part about all of that is, the technician can't get here until Monday to comfirm it's fucked up.... AGAIN! Then it's ANOTHER seven to ten day wait after that for them to "approve" a replacement. At this point, "THEY HAD BETTER APPROVE A REPLACEMENT, OR I'LL SEE THEM IN COURT".

In conclussion... NEVER BUY A TOSHIBA!!!

Insein
02-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Hmm... You might have just gotten a bad one. Every toshiba I've had has been good. Plus when i worked for Best buy a couple years ago, Toshiba always had the least amount of problems out of all the ones we sold. But thats what happens. One bad one and they lose a customer for life. I don't blame ya.

manu1959
02-06-2007, 11:10 PM
i like my phillips from costco

Pale Rider
02-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I'll tell ya something else, I'll never buy another DLP either. I can apply the purchase amount of this TV towards another one. That one will be an LCD. I'm not dicking around with any more "lamps", or "light wheels". LCD is what I'll get next.

manu1959
02-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I'll tell ya something else, I'll never buy another DLP either. I can apply the purchase amount of this TV towards another one. That one will be an LCD. I'm not dicking around with any more "lamps", or "light wheels". LCD is what I'll get next.

my flat screen lcd is brilliant....plasma is a waste of money

Pale Rider
02-06-2007, 11:22 PM
my flat screen lcd is brilliant....plasma is a waste of money

I have a 19" Samsung flat screen monitor for my computer here, and it's a real gem. I love it.

I hear plasma's are prone to burn in, especially if you're a gamer and have stationary images on your screen.

Pale Rider
02-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Hmm... You might have just gotten a bad one. Every toshiba I've had has been good. Plus when i worked for Best buy a couple years ago, Toshiba always had the least amount of problems out of all the ones we sold. But thats what happens. One bad one and they lose a customer for life. I don't blame ya.

That was my impression Insein. I was confident I was buying a good set. I guess I just got a lemon. Regardless, I will NOT buy another Toshiba.

manu1959
02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
I have a 19" Samsung flat screen monitor for my computer here, and it's a real gem. I love it.

I hear plasma's are prone to burn in, especially if you're a gamer and have stationary images on your screen.

plasma life is still short compared to lcd....my 4o something inch lcd with HD is like watching a picture in a mirror....

Pale Rider
02-06-2007, 11:29 PM
plasma life is still short compared to lcd....my 4o something inch lcd with HD is like watching a picture in a mirror....

I've always liked the LCD. I should have just bought one to begin with, but the set I bought was "on sale"... :o

I think I'll even go the extra at this point and get the new 1080P.

Gunny
02-06-2007, 11:31 PM
That was my impression Insein. I was confident I was buying a good set. I guess I just got a lemon. Regardless, I will NOT buy another Toshiba.

Probably just like you said .. a lemon. Two of my TVs are Toshibas and never had a problem with either.

Pale Rider
02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Probably just like you said .. a lemon. Two of my TVs are Toshibas and never had a problem with either.

My parents had a Toshiba. A little 19 inch CRT. Damn thing lasted like twenty years.

Mr. P
02-06-2007, 11:40 PM

The plasma bought here about the same time as your TV is still working just fine. No burn-in either. :poke:

*So far*

KitchenKitten99
02-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't want to buy a new tv right now because I have read several things about these new types not lasting very long, and that is just not a good investment of money. We have a 55" Sony projection tv that is about 15 years old (give or take) that my grandparents bought brand new, then gave/left us when we bought their house and they moved up north. They bought a new one, LCD I think, and not even 3 years later, they're asking to buy ours back from us! Theirs is 'dying' and ours is still working like new, and they don't want to buy another LCD or plasma that won't last very long.

Pale Rider
02-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Actually fuzzy, there was quality issues with the new plasma and LCD HDTV's. But in the last couple years many of those issues have been resolved. The LCD and plasma TV's you'd buy today are built quit well, and will last quit some time.

Just ask Mr. P. He bought his plasma about the same time I bought my DLP. My DLP is on the blink right now for the FOURTH TIME, and his plasma is still chugging along glitch free.

KitchenKitten99
02-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Actually fuzzy, there was quality issues with the new plasma and LCD HDTV's. But in the last couple years many of those issues have been resolved. The LCD and plasma TV's you'd buy today are built quit well, and will last quit some time.

Just ask Mr. P. He bought his plasma about the same time I bought my DLP. My DLP is on the blink right now for the FOURTH TIME, and his plasma is still chugging along glitch free.

well, I still want to wait until I see the lifespans on new ones, plus they'll come way, way down in price by the time ours is ready to be replaced. Then again, we probably can get ours fixed for less than the price of a new one.

we don't have the $$$ to spend on a high quality TV at the moment anyway. Ours works just fine, and is so very clear and sharp considering it's age, though I have to admit I love the superclear, bright, brilliant colors on the plasmas.

Pale Rider
02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
well, I still want to wait until I see the lifespans on new ones, plus they'll come way, way down in price by the time ours is ready to be replaced. Then again, we probably can get ours fixed for less than the price of a new one.

we don't have the $$$ to spend on a high quality TV at the moment anyway. Ours works just fine, and is so very clear and sharp considering it's age, though I have to admit I love the superclear, bright, brilliant colors on the plasmas.

I can tell you this with a fair degree of certainty, the price of an HDTV will probably NEVER be less than what it is now. Just like gas. You'll never see a dollar a gallon again either.

I wish it wasn't that way, but such is life.

jackass
02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Ok I have to chime in here! Manu...you will get Rep Points for shopping at Costco! Gotta love their Gaurantee Policy.
As for LCD vs Plasma vs Rear Projection vs DLP:
As far as picture quality goes...in my opinion plasma is far superior than all the others. It has a clearer picture, faster refresh rates, and WAY higher contrast levels. The downside is, reflection, slightly heavier, slighty less power efficiant and if you let it sit for days on a game....yes you will get burn in.
As for the life of these TV's the LCD and Plasmas are mostly rated for about 15 years. Give or take a few years depending on the manufacturer.

Pale are you a Costco member? If not and you have one relatively close..buy EVERYTHING worth anything there. They offer 100% satisfation on everything. TV's, radios, furniture. You never have to buy an extended warranty!! Its free!! Haha.
By the way...I do work for Costco in the TV/computer section. :)

Hagbard Celine
02-07-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm young so I can't afford the more expensive brands, but I still want a nice big tv to go in my den. I've been thinking about getting a Vizio. They're relatively cheap and they have a pretty nice picture. Does anyone know anything more about these?

jackass
02-07-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm young so I can't afford the more expensive brands, but I still want a nice big tv to go in my den. I've been thinking about getting a Vizio. They're relatively cheap and they have a pretty nice picture. Does anyone know anything more about these?

Great Great TV there Hagbard. Best selling TV in Costco. For the price, you cant compare them to anyone else! Great picture decent sound, GREAT price. We just had a 47 LCD Vizio on sale for $1550! Cant beat that!!

Hagbard Celine
02-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Great Great TV there Hagbard. Best selling TV in Costco. For the price, you cant compare them to anyone else! Great picture decent sound, GREAT price. We just had a 47 LCD Vizio on sale for $1550! Cant beat that!!

I think I just want like a 37 incher. I could get one for under $1000 couldn't I?

jackass
02-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I think I just want like a 37 incher. I could get one for under $1000 couldn't I?

I believe its 899.99. I think. It used to be 999.99 but I think it dropped a 100 bucks. 32 incher is only 699.

Hagbard Celine
02-07-2007, 05:03 PM
I believe its 899.99. I think. It used to be 999.99 but I think it dropped a 100 bucks. 32 incher is only 699.

That's awesome. I think the 32 incher is too small. I want a respectable size and I think the 37" is the one for me. Thanks for the info jackass! haha

jackass
02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Anytime. If you arent a Costco member..you can get the same price from their website I believe.

http://www.vizio.com/

The ClayTaurus
02-07-2007, 09:22 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r5bZ2DQ2GrU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r5bZ2DQ2GrU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Pale Rider
02-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Ok I have to chime in here! Manu...you will get Rep Points for shopping at Costco! Gotta love their Gaurantee Policy.
As for LCD vs Plasma vs Rear Projection vs DLP:
As far as picture quality goes...in my opinion plasma is far superior than all the others. It has a clearer picture, faster refresh rates, and WAY higher contrast levels. The downside is, reflection, slightly heavier, slighty less power efficiant and if you let it sit for days on a game....yes you will get burn in.
As for the life of these TV's the LCD and Plasmas are mostly rated for about 15 years. Give or take a few years depending on the manufacturer.

Pale are you a Costco member? If not and you have one relatively close..buy EVERYTHING worth anything there. They offer 100% satisfation on everything. TV's, radios, furniture. You never have to buy an extended warranty!! Its free!! Haha.
By the way...I do work for Costco in the TV/computer section. :)

Alrighty... well, I'm pretty well educated on HDTV myself, and first off, DLP "is" rear projection. Secondly, picture quality depends a GREAT DEAL on it's pixel count. That's how many pixels the picture has per square inch. For example, my DLP's native resolution is 1,280 X 1,024, and displays picture in up to 1080i, which means at any given time the picture has 540 lines of picture displayed, which is half of 1080, then a sixtieth of a second later, the OTHER 540 lines of resolution are displayed. With the new 1080P, which is "progressive", ALL the 1080 lines of resolution are displayed at the same time. Hence the brighter more sharp picture. It's displaying DOUBLE the lines of resolution of 1080i. Still, a set that's 1080i can have a higher pixel count than a set with 1080p, even though most 1080p's sets have a native resolution of 1,920 X 1,540. You have to do your home work when buying an HDTV. Look at it specs.

And what's actually better, a LCD or plasma? That's a debate that's still ragging. It kind of boils down to what "you" like when you're in the store looking at them. Which picture do YOU prefer?

jackass
02-08-2007, 03:17 PM
DLP "is" rear projection.

Shhhhh!! Didnt you know that DLP is trying to seperate themselves with rear projection?? :thumb:
Im not trying to say that I know all...just have a good knowledge base from delling them and talking to people that buyt them/return them. I personally like the Plasmas best. I think the picture is much sharper in them.

Hagbard Celine
02-08-2007, 03:20 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r5bZ2DQ2GrU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r5bZ2DQ2GrU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Why didn't they flip to Baywatch?

Pale Rider
02-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Shhhhh!! Didnt you know that DLP is trying to seperate themselves with rear projection?? :thumb:
Im not trying to say that I know all...just have a good knowledge base from delling them and talking to people that buyt them/return them. I personally like the Plasmas best. I think the picture is much sharper in them.

I suppose they'd like NOT to be refered to as "rear projection", but they are. The early rear projections were just that. Three different colored lenses projecting onto the screen, and they had a heck of a time with "convergence", which is keeping all three aimed so that you didn't see any color overlap.

My NEW rear projection, DLP, "digital light processing", has a chip in the light engine with over a MILLION tiny mirrors that reflect the light onto the screen. These tiny little mirrors move, causing different variations in light which is traveling through a color wheel that gives the picture the color. Pretty intricate stuff, and I WON'T buy another one.

jackass
02-09-2007, 02:52 PM
My NEW rear projection, DLP, "digital light processing", has a chip in the light engine with over a MILLION tiny mirrors that reflect the light onto the screen. These tiny little mirrors move, causing different variations in light which is traveling through a color wheel that gives the picture the color. Pretty intricate stuff, and I WON'T buy another one.

I really dont notice the difference in quality..do you? (Compared to LCD and Plasma)

theHawk
02-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I can hardly ever tell a difference. I mean really, can the human eye really see all this stuff when you're just watching a movie? I've had a Toshiba 52" widescreen HDTV that is rear projection, I've had it for 3-4 years now I think and no problems at all. I actually prefer it to a flatscreen because I don't need to mount it on anything, I just roll it around when I need to move it.