PDA

View Full Version : Proposal Would Ban Talking, Walking

stephanie
02-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Man..Your congresscritters don't have much faith in you New Yorkers..................................... chewing gum and walking at the same time.....................J/k:uhoh:

Ban Would Apply To MP3 players, Blackberries

POSTED: 10:20 pm EST February 6, 2007
UPDATED: 10:32 pm EST February 6, 2007

A state senator from Brooklyn said on Tuesday he plans to introduce legislation that would ban people from using an MP3 player, cell phone, Blackberry or any other electronic device while crossing the street in either New York City or Buffalo.

News Channel 4 reported that Sen. Carl Kruger is proposing the ban in response to two recent pedestrian deaths in his district, including a 23-year-old man who was struck and killed last month while listening to his iPod on Avenue T and East 71st Street In Bergen Beach.

"While people are tuning into their iPods and cell phones, they're tuning out the world around them," Kruger said. The proposed law would make talking on cell phones while crossing the street a comparable offense to jaywalking.

Some pedestrians said they were not worried about their safety while using their electronic devices while walking.

"I look for the light," said Venus Montes of Williamsburg.

"I'm still looking," said Lance Gordon of Far Rockaway. "It's not like I'm not paying attention."

Others said the proposed ban would not work.

"I don't think anyone's going to be up for this," said Patricia Lewis of Staten Island. "I don't think anyone wants this."

Other pedestrians said they thought the proposal was a good idea.

"It's too dangerous," said Nicole Lake of Jersey City. "Drivers don't pay attention and pedestrians don't pay attention."
http://www.wnbc.com/news/10948106/detail.html

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/house_kitty_80.gif

Dilloduck
02-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Man..Your congresscritters don't have much faith in you New Yorkers..................................... chewing gum and walking at the same time.....................J/k:uhoh:

Ban Would Apply To MP3 players, Blackberries

POSTED: 10:20 pm EST February 6, 2007
UPDATED: 10:32 pm EST February 6, 2007

A state senator from Brooklyn said on Tuesday he plans to introduce legislation that would ban people from using an MP3 player, cell phone, Blackberry or any other electronic device while crossing the street in either New York City or Buffalo.

News Channel 4 reported that Sen. Carl Kruger is proposing the ban in response to two recent pedestrian deaths in his district, including a 23-year-old man who was struck and killed last month while listening to his iPod on Avenue T and East 71st Street In Bergen Beach.

"While people are tuning into their iPods and cell phones, they're tuning out the world around them," Kruger said. The proposed law would make talking on cell phones while crossing the street a comparable offense to jaywalking.

Some pedestrians said they were not worried about their safety while using their electronic devices while walking.

"I look for the light," said Venus Montes of Williamsburg.

"I'm still looking," said Lance Gordon of Far Rockaway. "It's not like I'm not paying attention."

Others said the proposed ban would not work.

"I don't think anyone's going to be up for this," said Patricia Lewis of Staten Island. "I don't think anyone wants this."

Other pedestrians said they thought the proposal was a good idea.

"It's too dangerous," said Nicole Lake of Jersey City. "Drivers don't pay attention and pedestrians don't pay attention."
http://www.wnbc.com/news/10948106/detail.html

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/house_kitty_80.gif

Forcing people to tune into the world around them will probably cause mass suicide in New York.

Gaffer
02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
They need to propose a law that no one is allowed to get out of bed in the morning. It might be hazardous to their health and safety.

Anyone walking should be required to wear a helmit as they may fall down at some point in their life.

KitchenKitten99
02-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Forcing people to tune into the world around them will probably cause mass suicide in New York.

ah, natural selection at its best...