PDA

View Full Version : are you or were you ever a fan of this man

actsnoblemartin
10-21-2007, 07:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071019/music_nm/yusufislam_dc;_ylt=Aj1Vv2gyzBKJ5wLwgNx_FciVEhkF

Folk artist Yusuf Islam to sing about deportation

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - British folk singer Yusuf Islam hopes to return to the United States in December to record a song inspired by his deportation three years ago, he said on Friday.

Islam, who changed his name from Cat Stevens after he became a Muslim in 1978, was denied entry to the United States "on national security grounds" in September 2004. His inbound flight was diverted to Maine and he and his daughter were taken off the plane. Islam had been planning to record in Nashville with country artists, including Dolly Parton.

Apparently no longer considered a terrorist, the peace activist's visa situation has been cleared up, and he later returned to the United States to promote his 2006 comeback "Another Cup," his first mainstream pop album in 28 years.

The 59-year-old London resident has started work on a follow-up, and has written a song about "my little excursion" called "Boots and Sand." Another attempt at Nashville is in the cards.

"I'm planning hopefully to drop in there and finally close that circle (in) December," Islam told Reuters.

Parton will "not necessarily" be on the record, "but she'll be implied in the lyric," Islam said.

The album is off to a cracking start, and Islam is rocking out a little after buying an electric guitar, a Stevie Ray Vaughan Telecaster manufactured by Fender. For most of his career, he was content to strum an acoustic, but he said his son has been encouraging him to experiment.

"At the moment, with the way that we recorded yesterday, doing a song a day, it could be finished in a month ... (and) out just before summer," he said. "But you never know with these things."

The new album is vying for his attention with a planned stage musical called "Moonshadow," which will tell the story of the "search for the perfect world" through both old songs and new. The title character, named after one of Islam's best known songs, is a guide for the hero, named Stormy.

The project is still in the early stages, with no director attached yet, and Islam hopes it will premiere in Europe toward the end of 2008 or in the spring of 2009.

"I've got a lot of people in the States who want to back it and put it on as early as possible," Islam said. "But I think that because I'm over here (in London) most of the time I'd like to see it develop in front of my eyes, where I can actually help it grow."

In the meantime, Islam has just released a DVD featuring his first full U.K. concert in 28 years as well as a BBC documentary and various video clips. "Yusuf's Cafe Session" boasts live versions of such classics as "Father & Son" and "Where Do the Children Play" performed in an intimate session last March at London's Porchester Hall.

mrg666
10-21-2007, 08:12 PM
he's a very old hippy / peace activist who prob even rubbed shoulders with the beatles in his time he's harmless in himself

all you guys n gals klnow this

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVSqTHWc6jw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jVSqTHWc6jw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

and deffinately this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TWd3skb-Rw

mrg666
10-21-2007, 08:13 PM
oooh and this

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6TzJfsBB3mQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6TzJfsBB3mQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

martin listen to this one

diuretic
10-21-2007, 09:52 PM
I've got a couple of his albums (vinyl) because I liked his music. He was a precocious talent. I still like his music. Some of it was a bit iffy - Lady Darbanville was a bit indulgent, but Matthew and Son, Wild World, Peace Train, Father and Son and a few others are pop standards now.

My favourite track is Rubylove, because I like bouzoukia and particularly rembetiko.

hjmick
10-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Hell yeah, Cat was cool. The operative word being "was."

mrg666
10-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Hell yeah, Cat was cool. The operative word being "was."

he literaly went away for years had no contact with the music industry
he's come back is he runnung out of money ? who knows

shattered
10-21-2007, 10:39 PM
I've got a couple of his albums (vinyl) because I liked his music. He was a precocious talent. I still like his music. Some of it was a bit iffy - Lady Darbanville was a bit indulgent, but Matthew and Son, Wild World, Peace Train, Father and Son and a few others are pop standards now.

My favourite track is Rubylove, because I like bouzoukia and particularly rembetiko.

Egads.. I thought I was the only person with him on vinyl.. (or anyone else for that matter)

diuretic
10-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Egads.. I thought I was the only person with him on vinyl.. (or anyone else for that matter)

:laugh2:

Every now and again I drag out my several big boxes of vinyls and get the turntable going. If I ever figure out how to transfer them to mp3 and burn them I'm going to have to take a few weeks leave and get it done because a lot of music has never re-appeared on cd - and no, it's not because it's all on 78 and acetates :cheers2:

shattered
10-22-2007, 12:29 AM

Every now and again I drag out my several big boxes of vinyls and get the turntable going. If I ever figure out how to transfer them to mp3 and burn them I'm going to have to take a few weeks leave and get it done because a lot of music has never re-appeared on cd - and no, it's not because it's all on 78 and acetates :cheers2:

:eek::eek:

mrg666
10-22-2007, 12:29 AM

hey pm me about the transfers you gotta get the corect leads and softeware though

diuretic
10-22-2007, 01:22 AM
hey pm me about the transfers you gotta get the corect leads and softeware though

Much appreciated, will do. I really want to get my vinyl of Procession "Live at Sebastian's" (Melbourne, 1968, the first live recording issued in Australia) with Mick Rogers (later with Manfred Mann) on lead vocals burned onto cd.

diuretic
10-22-2007, 01:26 AM
:eek::eek:

I used to have an lp of some of Caruso's arias transferred from cylinders to vinyl, back in the early 1960s but some bastard stole it. The sound quality was crap but that's not the point. And my vinyl of "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", I worked a summer job painting tin roofs to get the money for that (and other things) in 1967 and some bastard stole that too. :(

I reckon if I get everything burned on cd they can steal them while I get to keep my treasured vinyls.

PostmodernProphet
10-22-2007, 04:39 AM
I have all his early albums in vinyl, though I no longer have anything to play them on....I would have to say he was one of the best keyboardists in the world then....I particularly loved his piano solo in Foriegner Suite.....

Abbey Marie
10-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Beware of any religion that induces you to change your name.

hjmick
10-22-2007, 10:12 AM

You're must not be looking hard enough. There are a myriad of tools out there that will help you rip your vinyl to MP3.

diuretic
10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
You're must not be looking hard enough. There are a myriad of tools out there that will help you rip your vinyl to MP3.

mrg666 clued me up, now I need to find the right cables - and then I need to get beer and get it all done :cheers2:

Kathianne
10-22-2007, 06:52 PM

I have to agree, his music touched me a long time ago. I don't like where he's gone, but doesn't take away from his talent.