PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bulls: harmless family pets or vicious menace?

Hagbard Celine
10-22-2007, 10:26 AM
I'll start by saying I don't trust Pit Bulls. I grew up with another so-called "vicious" breed, German Shepherds, and I trust them immensely but I don't trust Pit Bulls. From what I've witnessed myself, these dogs are more aggressive than other dogs in their "play" mode and they tend to start fights without warning. Not to mention all the horror stories and statistics that seem to prove my point of view. From what I can tell, these dogs are responsible for nearly three quarters of all deadly and/or maiming dog bite attacks in the US every year. They are also the only dogs to be legally banned in some US cities as well as Canadian provinces and elsewhere in the world.
That being said, I was at an employee party with my girlfriend last night and they had all their dogs dressed in cutesy Halloween costumes and running around amongst the people at the party. It's a doggie day-care sort of business. Of course the dogs were playing. But there was this pitbull I've seen before being aggressive so I had my eye on it. Naturally, it went from dog to dog, dominating them, going to put its jowels around their necks and being generally aggressive. A couple of fights broke out. I didn't care much until it went after my girlfriend's dog, which is a Boston Terrier. The pitbull could've eaten it alive so I separated them but they were both trying to get back at each other so I pushed the pitbull away with my foot and then pinned it while its owner could come over and take control. I called it a "little sh*t."
But instead of being lauded for saving the tiny dog from the vicious pitbull, everyone got mad at me for calling the dog a "little sh*t" and taking "anger" out on the dog. Gimme a break!
Where do other people stand on this? Am I taking crazy pills?

I think it's pathetic to project your emotions/sensitivities onto your pets. They aren't children. They're dogs. Plus they can't understand English. Pathetic.

Abbey Marie
10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
IMO, you were handed the animal lover's version of political correctness.

And you definitely did the right thing.

Mr. P
10-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I'll start by saying I don't trust Pit Bulls. I grew up with another so-called "vicious" breed, German Shepherds, and I trust them immensely but I don't trust Pit Bulls. From what I've witnessed myself, these dogs are more aggressive than other dogs in their "play" mode and they tend to start fights without warning. Not to mention all the horror stories and statistics that seem to prove my point of view. From what I can tell, these dogs are responsible for nearly three quarters of all deadly and/or maiming dog bite attacks in the US every year. They are also the only dogs to be legally banned in some US cities as well as Canadian provinces and elsewhere in the world.
That being said, I was at an employee party with my girlfriend last night and they had all their dogs dressed in cutesy Halloween costumes and running around amongst the people at the party. It's a doggie day-care sort of business. Of course the dogs were playing. But there was this pitbull I've seen before being aggressive so I had my eye on it. Naturally, it went from dog to dog, dominating them, going to put its jowels around their necks and being generally aggressive. A couple of fights broke out. I didn't care much until it went after my girlfriend's dog, which is a Boston Terrier. The pitbull could've eaten it alive so I separated them but they were both trying to get back at each other so I pushed the pitbull away with my foot and then pinned it while its owner could come over and take control. I called it a "little sh*t."
But instead of being lauded for saving the tiny dog from the vicious pitbull, everyone got mad at me for calling the dog a "little sh*t" and taking "anger" out on the dog. Gimme a break!
Where do other people stand on this? Am I taking crazy pills?

I think it's pathetic to project your emotions/sensitivities onto your pets. They aren't children. They're dogs. Plus they can't understand English. Pathetic.

I pretty much feel the same about the breed as you do.

shattered
10-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Pitbulls are actually great in very docile households, and quiet settings.. They don't do so well in crowded settings with a lot of excitement, and they are very protective of what's "theirs"..

Just poor ownership, IMO. People should fully check out the types of animals they want to consider as pets, rather than just going for what's "cute", or "cool".

dan
10-22-2007, 10:50 AM
You were in the right, definitely. People are so overprotective of their pets, it's disgusting. First of all, if a kid was acting like that, I'd have no problem with myself or someone else calling them a little shit. But, a dog? This goes along with the whole "I NEVER hit my dog!" argument that's just ridiculous. A dog doesn't understand English. It understands pop on the butt ='s you did something wrong. But, I also think there's a world of difference between popping a dog so he'll behave and abusing a dog.

As for pit bulls, I don't trust them, either, but that being said, I've only known one pit bull in my entire life, and it's one of the sweetest dogs I've ever known. Still, when he's playing and he comes running from across the room and dives into my lap, there's no doubt that this is an animal that could seriously tear me up without a moment's notice. So, as nice as my friend's pit bull is, I don't trust them at all.

German shepherds, on the other hand, I find to be one of the most trustworthy dogs around. I'd love to have a short-haired german shepherd someday, although my mom was attacked by a G.S. when she was a little girl, so I guess I should be more cautious with them.

KarlMarx
10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I agree, I don't trust pit bulls, either.

Which reminds me of something, when was the last time you saw someone mauled or killed by their cat? My money is on "no".

dan
10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Which reminds me of something, when was the last time you saw someone mauled or killed by their cat? My money is on "no".

Siegfried & Roy's money is on "yes"!

glockmail
10-22-2007, 11:50 AM
@ Hag. The only personal experience I had with the breed was very different than you describe. I knew a guy in upstate NY who bred them. I went to visit him (he lived on a lake), parked the car, and walked over to his fence gate. I was about to open it but saw the dogs come over. Although they didn't act aggressive I figured best not to invade their area without knowledge of the owner. The guy soon came over and opened the gate for me, and introduced me to his dogs, and they were cool.

I was very impressed with their intelligence. When we were on the dock, one was about to walk by and I started to give him a knee-shove off the dock. He quickly dodged my action and went around the other side.

About a year later I called the guy and asked him if he had a pup for me to purchase. At that time he did not, but he did have a one-year old that he wanted someone to adopt. I said I was interested and we talked for about 20 minutes about my sitation; he was basically interviewing me for the adoption. He was interested in how old my kids were. They were 1 and 3 at that time and he said that work work out well because his dogs are very gentle around kids and would end up being their protector.

A few days later he drove over my house without the dog to check me out. We talked some more and when I told him I had a cat he said the deal was off. He said the dog would kill the cat right off as it was their instinct and there was nothing that could be done about that. Maybe if the dog grew up with the cat it would be fine but not a one-year-old.

hjmick
10-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Helen Keller had a pitbull, though she may have thought it was a collie. LOL

When I was in high school my family lived on a ranch. We had dogs, cats and horses. Frequently we would bring home strays and sometimes those strays became a part of the family. One such animal was a female pitbull. She had appeared to have recently had a litter of puppies, but they were not to be found.

At the time, we had 4 other dogs, two German shephards, an Irish setter, and a mutt. We also had a cat. This pitbull was a wonderful addition to the mix. She was sweet and gentle and posessed a disposition that could best be described as amiable. There was never any problems with the other dogs. The cat, on the other hand, did attack the pit. The was very little reaction from the pit and the cat came out the winner in the confrontation

On the other hand...

When the neighbors two German shorthairs wandered onto our property, there was an issue. The vet bills weren't cheap.

All that being said, my opinion is that, for the most part, a dog is more a product of it's environment than it's instinct. That's not to say that instict doesn't play a part, it does, but much of that can be overcome with the proper training.

In the end, as a parent I would have never had a pitbull around my children, but then again, I wouldn't have a wolf hybrid around my kids either and I love those animals as well.

In the end, I would own a pitbull again.

Hagbard Celine
10-22-2007, 12:24 PM
We talked some more and when I told him I had a cat he said the deal was off. He said the dog would kill the cat right off as it was their instinct and there was nothing that could be done about that. Maybe if the dog grew up with the cat it would be fine but not a one-year-old.

Therein lies the rub. This breed in particular has a more active kill instinct that makes it simply dangerous to have cats, smaller dogs, and children around them. They may have their uses, but I don't think they're cute or cuddly. All I see is sharp teeth and beady, black eyes and you can bet the next time one of them starts a fight in front of me or attacks a human--as they're prone to do--I'll do exactly as I did before regardless of whether or not I appear to be using "anger" against the dog.
Every story about a pitbull ends with "and the vet bills were high." You may get lucky and incorporate one of them into your family without incident, but chances are your neighbors dogs and children won't be so lucky. That's because they're vicious. They've had all of the dog's aggressive instincts and traits bred into them for the sole purpose of killing.

glockmail
10-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Therein lies the rub. This breed in particular has a more active kill instinct that makes it simply dangerous to have cats, smaller dogs, and children around them. They may have their uses, but I don't think they're cute or cuddly. All I see is sharp teeth and beady, black eyes and you can bet the next time one of them starts a fight in front of me or attacks a human--as they're prone to do--I'll do exactly as I did before regardless of whether or not I appear to be using "anger" against the dog.
Every story about a pitbull ends with "and the vet bills were high." You may get lucky and incorporate one of them into your family without incident, but chances are your neighbors dogs and children won't be so lucky. That's because they're vicious. They've had all of the dog's aggressive instincts and traits bred into them for the sole purpose of killing.

These dogs were gentle around kids so that would not have been an issue.

To me the situation is simailar to my current dog, a rat terrier mix, 21#. She instictively kills furry rodents. There is nothing that I can do to change that. We've had her for 4 years and she still wants a piece of my older cat, 12#, but is scared of it. She's gentle as a lamb around my kids. The cat, however, will bite the kids, my wife and I just for the heck of it. As I've said before I'm convince the cat is hanging around waiting for me to stroke out.

KarlMarx
10-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Siegfried & Roy's money is on "yes"!
har har hardee har har

I was thinking in terms of the "felis domestica" variety... as in "I tawt I taw a puddy tat!"

dan
10-22-2007, 01:12 PM
har har hardee har har

I was thinking in terms of the "felis domestica" variety... as in "I tawt I taw a puddy tat!"

:D I know, just bustin' chops.

dan
10-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Helen Keller had a pitbull, though she may have thought it was a collie. LOL

Did you hear about the time the dog bit her hand? She couldn't talk for a week!:laugh2::clap:I'm terrific!

jackass
10-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I will start by saying I dont fully trust the breed either. There are of course, different genes in these dogs. My friend has an English pitbull (??) that is very well behave. He is twice the size of the standard pit you see in America. At first when I became friends with him I was very anxious with the kids being around the dog, but after getting to know the dog, I am very comftorable around him.
If you get the dog from a good trainer, you shouldnt have any issues. The dogs that attack humans, have been trained for generations to be nasty an ferocious dogs.

glockmail
10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
.... My friend has an English pitbull (??) .....
As I recall my freind in NY never referred to his dogs as pitbulls, but as Staffordshire Terriers or something like that. They were about 70-90# range.

jackass
10-22-2007, 01:55 PM
As I recall my freind in NY never referred to his dogs as pitbulls, but as Staffordshire Terriers or something like that. They were about 70-90# range.

Could be..he is a big dog!! Very intimidationg thats for sure! Great dog though. BEAUTIFUL dog.

dan
10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Could be..he is a big dog!! Very intimidationg thats for sure! Great dog though. BEAUTIFUL dog.

Why don't you marry it? :gay:

jackass
10-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Why don't you marry it? :gay:

Wife wouldnt let me... what a bitch!! :laugh2:

KarlMarx
10-23-2007, 05:05 AM
Wife wouldnt let me... what a bitch!! :laugh2:

which bitch are you talking about?

Sitarro
10-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I am normally not afraid of dogs but I was surrounded by 4 pitbulls once and almost pissed in my pants. They systematically surrounded me and then the biggest, ugliest one came up to face me, I was frozen solid. Just as I felt he was about to go for my arm, the maid of the house came out and yelled something in Spanish to them and they ran back into their garage. If I would of had a gun I would have shot them, I have never been so intimidated.

I've never understood the appeal of these dogs. aesthetically they aren't very nice to look at but neither are bulldogs, pugs, Rotts or Bull Mastiffs. I guess I just don't like the smashed face overweight look or the short hair.

I have always liked the more athletic dogs, the Sheperds, Border Collies, Salukis, the different Spaniels and of course, my favorite..... The Afghan Hound.

I have already been accused of having a gay dog by someone on the other board when I had his picture up for my avatar...... what ignorance. I guess a dog has to be an ugly asshole to be manly.

I had a female Afghan that would have killed a male Doberman if I wouldn't have rescued him. He made the mistake of getting within 50 yards of her puppies and before he knew what was happening to him he was thrown on his back and she had her jaws around his throat. That was the second Doberman I witnessed her kicking the ass of. One of my other Afghans killed a neutrea that was on our property, I still have it's skull. They are like a big beaver with a possum's tail. Very fast dogs, I watched in horror after one of mine got away from me and hit a skunk at full speed. The skunk went flying, spray coming out all over the place and when my dog returned, barely any smell.

They aren't great dogs for most people, they are very independent. They don't care what you tell them to do unless you have a reward they want, they act more like big cats. That is what I like about them, I like independent women too.

mrg666
10-23-2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/24/MNG3JDEED81.DTL

dan
10-23-2007, 10:59 AM
We had a shetland sheepdog growing up, definitely one of the best dogs I've ever known. Very loyal, a great guard dog almost to a fault (if a squirrel ran across our back porch in the middle of the night, he'd make sure everyone in the house knew), and very smart, for the most part.

I don't get the appeal of bulldogs, pugs, etc., either Sitarro. However, I am a weirdo when it comes to this, because in all honesty, this would be my dream pet:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VkLkLZ8Fo-M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VkLkLZ8Fo-M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

(and, yes, I know they stink, and they're wild, etc. It's just a dream)

Sitarro
10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
We had a shetland sheepdog growing up, definitely one of the best dogs I've ever known. Very loyal, a great guard dog almost to a fault (if a squirrel ran across our back porch in the middle of the night, he'd make sure everyone in the house knew), and very smart, for the most part.

I don't get the appeal of bulldogs, pugs, etc., either Sitarro. However, I am a weirdo when it comes to this, because in all honesty, this would be my dream pet:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VkLkLZ8Fo-M&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VkLkLZ8Fo-M&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

(and, yes, I know they stink, and they're wild, etc. It's just a dream)

Guess what I had in the mid seventies while in Architecture school. My brother and I were walking by a pet store one day, quite stoned, when I saw him. In the window, was a beautiful young Red Fox...... 100 bucks. On Sundays, there were bands in the park by the school and everyone would bring their dogs....... all I could think about was how many women a Red Fox would attract(typical young male, never even considered what all those dogs would have wanted to do to that fox)! I bought him and brought him to my studio at school.

He was vicious, he actually attacked me for a piece of fried chicken once. He would strike like a snake and would be ready for another in no time. Yes, he did stink. His piss was territorial and smelled like a skunk. The rest of the students hated me. One called the campus police claiming that there was a gead animal in my studio. They broke the lock and went in to find Lindbergh hissing and coughing at him. I arrived a few hours later and found my lock broken and one of my fellow students told me it was campus security. I went to the police station to give them some shit and they handed me a phone. On the other end, having been awakened at 12:30am by the cops was my Dean of Students. He chewed my ass for about fifteen minutes and I went back to my studio and brought Lindbergh home.

That night was the last time I saw him, he broke out of his cage and was seen by a neighbor who said she saw him being chased by a dog. As the dog was catching up to him, Lindbergh put it in afterburner and was gone leaving the dog to wonder what happened to that fox I was chasing. I didn't have a camera at the time and nobody else took any picture of him, that kills me. He was right out of a Disney movie....black tipped ears, red coat with the bright white bib and a huge white tipped tail that balanced him in high speed turns...... the most perfect hunting machine I have ever seen.:cool:

jackass
10-23-2007, 01:12 PM
which bitch are you talking about?

Take your pick...haha

dan
10-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Guess what I had in the mid seventies while in Architecture school. My brother and I were walking by a pet store one day, quite stoned, when I saw him. In the window, was a beautiful young Red Fox...... 100 bucks. On Sundays, there were bands in the park by the school and everyone would bring their dogs....... all I could think about was how many women a Red Fox would attract(typical young male, never even considered what all those dogs would have wanted to do to that fox)! I bought him and brought him to my studio at school.

He was vicious, he actually attacked me for a piece of fried chicken once. He would strike like a snake and would be ready for another in no time. Yes, he did stink. His piss was territorial and smelled like a skunk. The rest of the students hated me. One called the campus police claiming that there was a gead animal in my studio. They broke the lock and went in to find Lindbergh hissing and coughing at him. I arrived a few hours later and found my lock broken and one of my fellow students told me it was campus security. I went to the police station to give them some shit and they handed me a phone. On the other end, having been awakened at 12:30am by the cops was my Dean of Students. He chewed my ass for about fifteen minutes and I went back to my studio and brought Lindbergh home.

That night was the last time I saw him, he broke out of his cage and was seen by a neighbor who said she saw him being chased by a dog. As the dog was catching up to him, Lindbergh put it in afterburner and was gone leaving the dog to wonder what happened to that fox I was chasing. I didn't have a camera at the time and nobody else took any picture of him, that kills me. He was right out of a Disney movie....black tipped ears, red coat with the bright white bib and a huge white tipped tail that balanced him in high speed turns...... the most perfect hunting machine I have ever seen.:cool:

Hah, that's a great story, sounds like you were quite a hellion in school!

Yeah, you summed up pretty nicely why I'd never actually have a fox unless I could train it to never pee inside and never bite me, but I know that's impossible.

I also think wolves are really cool. We used to have a guy who brought a full-sized wolf to our school once every year or so, it was really cool. Of course, the idea of sleeping under the same roof as an animal that could probably kill me if it wanted to doesn't sound like a much better idea than the fox.

jackass
10-23-2007, 01:17 PM
I also think wolves are really cool. We used to have a guy who brought a full-sized wolf to our school once every year or so, it was really cool. Of course, the idea of sleeping under the same roof as an animal that could probably kill me if it wanted to doesn't sound like a much better idea than the fox.

I would LOVE to have a wolf-hybrid! :)

Hagbard Celine
10-23-2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/24/MNG3JDEED81.DTL

What a moron. You might as well drop your kid off in the middle of a pack of hyenas. Oh well, natural selection. But this is further proof that these vicious pitbulls aren't to be trusted.

Monkeybone
10-23-2007, 02:12 PM
with that story though, ya wonder if the kid opened the door or something.

Abbey Marie
10-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Her son is dead, and all mom-of-the-year can say is, "He never listened".
I guess it was his fault that her killer dogs practically ripped his head off. :rolleyes:

manu1959
10-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I agree, I don't trust pit bulls, either.

can you say zeigfried and roy?.....

love chris rocks line.....tiger didn't go crazy...tiger went tiger

dan
10-23-2007, 05:24 PM
can you say zeigfried and roy?.....

love chris rocks line.....tiger didn't go crazy...tiger went tiger

Brilliant minds think alike, Manu:

http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=143072&postcount=7

Said1
10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Everyone should own a beagle. They look like little foxes. :laugh2:

Grrr.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Said1/jay001.jpg

glockmail
10-23-2007, 05:35 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z256/glockmail/Thetonguecrop.jpg

I think mine's 1/2 beagle.

Gaffer
10-23-2007, 05:38 PM
I have a Plot Hound myself. She doesn't bark or chew on anything. She dances and wiggles when she needs to go out to do her business. She's never more than ten feet away from me in the house. She is scared to death of thunder storms though.

Sitarro
10-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Everyone should own a beagle. They look like little foxes. :laugh2:

Grrr.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Said1/jay001.jpg

I like their howls.... for a little while at least.

glockmail
10-24-2007, 07:20 AM
I have a Plot Hound myself. She doesn't bark or chew on anything. She dances and wiggles when she needs to go out to do her business. She's never more than ten feet away from me in the house. She is scared to death of thunder storms though.
Sounds like my dogs behaivior. Although mine does bark at other dogs that pass by the yard.

Said1
10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
I like their howls.... for a little while at least.

Mine is pretty quiet, unless he's chasing something.

Gaffer
10-24-2007, 07:02 PM
I've had my dog since last February and I would say she has barked 5 times total. Always once and for something important. The quietest dog I've ever owned.