PDA

View Full Version : drove home from San Deigo last night

truthmatters
10-24-2007, 01:10 PM
The 15 opened up so I took off arround 11am yesterday and drove back to Vegas. I went to La Mesa to help my little brother get his Fixer House ready for his first baby which was due in mid November. I got there thursday afternoon and his wife's water broke the next morning. His little girl is so hot she set the world arround her on Fire when she was born. Baby is fine , Mommy is fine and they are not likely to get evacuated because of their location.

Man what a surreal week I have had. Painting my ass off all by myself while taking breaks to stand in their back yard (nice hillside view looking down on the 8 freeway in SD) to check the fires progress. I could look east and see one fire and look west and see the other one. At times the ashes would be falling arround me. Then I would go to the hospital and visit the prettiest little girl you ever did see. Mom and baby had an rh factor difference so they stayed in the hospital a couple of days.

I made their house look like the bomb though and was too jazzed to be there when the baby came. Cleaned everything in sight and it looks like a brand new house now.

The drive home was wild. Near empty freeways covered in smoke, burned hillsides, racing Fire and Police support vehicles and actual fire in some places where I could feel the heat through a closed up traveling car. From what I now understand they later closed the 15 again after I caught the window.

It great to be home and just hanging arround.

darin
10-24-2007, 01:13 PM
wow! talk about excitement!! BIG Congrats to your brother and his family!!

hjmick
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Good to hear all is well. I had been wondering what had become of you the last few days. I didn't miss you, per se ;), just noticed you hadn't been around.

Joan
10-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Congrats on the new grandchild!! You can spoil the hell out of them if the mood happens to hit you!! I've been doing a daily check in with my nephew who lives in Temecula and works in Riverside They, so far, are okay, but say the sky is a bright orange!! Hey Dan, my nephew is a hot shot lawyer out there, you may just want to interview his arrogant ass!

truthmatters
10-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Congrats on the new grandchild!! You can spoil the hell out of them if the mood happens to hit you!! I've been doing a daily check in with my nephew who lives in Temecula and works in Riverside They, so far, are okay, but say the sky is a bright orange!! Hey Dan, my nephew is a hot shot lawyer out there, you may just want to interview his arrogant ass!

Its my niece and not my grand baby. My brother is 11 years younger than me and his wife is 6 years younger than him. I think the Dr may have though I was grandma. I kept mixing up and calling my brother by my sons name. It is very close to being the grandma. I think I may have to wait to get the real thing. It would be best my son is only 19.

Thanks for the kind words though. There is nothing as sweet as a new baby in the family.

jimnyc
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Welcome back, TM :)

Hagbard Celine
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Craziness. Wanna come paint my house? :dance:

truthmatters
10-24-2007, 02:51 PM
I painted their ceiling in the livingroom, entry,dining room , kitchen , hall and then I cut in the entire area (my bro did a quick paint of the entry ,livingroom,hall before I got there) ,painted his diningroom, kitchen and the inside and outside of his kitchen cabinets.

I did it the right way to by removing the the drawers , cabinet doors and hardware. Sanding them down to get a tooth and stripping the hardware.
I had to hussle too because I did not know how long she was going to be in the hospital.

I then cleaned everything up and cleaned the appliances in and out so that when she walks in the kitchen its all spotless and clean. They will redo it in a year or two but with a brand new baby you like to feel everything is perfectly clean.

When I went I thought I was just going to do the kitchen but then the baby came and they were both at the hospital most of the time.

10-24-2007, 04:30 PM
glad everyone is alright.

JohnDoe
10-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Welcome back TM, I too was wondering where the heck ya went?

Congrats on the Auntiehood!

And I am certain your sister in law will appreciate the spic and span kitchen and house!

jd

Yurt
10-24-2007, 07:48 PM
I painted their ceiling in the livingroom, entry,dining room , kitchen , hall and then I cut in the entire area (my bro did a quick paint of the entry ,livingroom,hall before I got there) ,painted his diningroom, kitchen and the inside and outside of his kitchen cabinets.

I did it the right way to by removing the the drawers , cabinet doors and hardware. Sanding them down to get a tooth and stripping the hardware.
I had to hussle too because I did not know how long she was going to be in the hospital.

I then cleaned everything up and cleaned the appliances in and out so that when she walks in the kitchen its all spotless and clean. They will redo it in a year or two but with a brand new baby you like to feel everything is perfectly clean.

When I went I thought I was just going to do the kitchen but then the baby came and they were both at the hospital most of the time.

you sound kinda pro, did you paint for a living?

truthmatters
10-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Welcome back TM, I too was wondering where the heck ya went?

Congrats on the Auntiehood!

And I am certain your sister in law will appreciate the spic and span kitchen and house!

jd

I think she will be pretty happy with it all until she gets her dream kitchen.

No Yurt Im not a pro I just know the terminology because I love to do this kind of stuff. I will probably flip a couple of houses in my retirement just for fun. I love taking something that looks like crap and making it look great by applying hard work and imagination.

hjmick
10-25-2007, 09:50 AM
I think she will be pretty happy with it all until she gets her dream kitchen.

No Yurt Im not a pro I just know the terminology because I love to do this kind of stuff. I will probably flip a couple of houses in my retirement just for fun. I love taking something that looks like crap and making it look great by applying hard work and imagination.

Well, if you love to do it...I've got some work at my place needs doin'...

truthmatters
10-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Well, if you love to do it...I've got some work at my place needs doin'...

You live in Cali right?

hjmick
10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
You live in Cali right?

Yep, about halfway between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.

truthmatters
10-25-2007, 10:10 AM
How well do you pay?

Hagbard Celine
10-25-2007, 10:13 AM
I supply beer and sandwiches.

truthmatters
10-25-2007, 10:20 AM
I supply beer and sandwiches.

Yeah but you live in the south

hjmick
10-25-2007, 10:29 AM
How well do you pay?

:lol: ...What'd your brother pay?

truthmatters
10-25-2007, 10:36 AM
:lol: ...What'd your brother pay?

Well that is something you can Never match.

Years of love ,respect, emotional support, the joys of watching him discover the world and so much more. Hes my Bud like no one else on this earth (well except my 6 other bros and sis's).

hjmick
10-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Well that is something you can Never match.

Years of love ,respect, emotional support, the joys of watching him discover the world and so much more. Hes my Bud like no one else on this earth (well except my 6 other bros and sis's).

Crap, not only can I not beat that, I have no snappy wise crack to come back with.

It's good that you feel that way about your brother. I can barely stand to be in the same room with my back stabbing, manipulative, lazy, gold digging sister. But I do love her!

truthmatters
10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
There were times when on or the other got on my nerves but as they grew up and solidified their lives I have to say my 7 brothers and sisters are all very good, decent , funny people to be arround. My husbands best friends are my siblings and their spouses. They all married very decent people who fit right in. His brother and he have known my bros and sis's since the 70s and all are old buds.

darin
10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
I can barely stand to be in the same room with my back stabbing, manipulative, lazy, gold digging sister. But I do love her!

...but is she hot?

:D:coffee::dance:

Immanuel
10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Its my niece and not my grand baby. My brother is 11 years younger than me and his wife is 6 years younger than him. I think the Dr may have though I was grandma. I kept mixing up and calling my brother by my sons name. It is very close to being the grandma. I think I may have to wait to get the real thing. It would be best my son is only 19.

Thanks for the kind words though. There is nothing as sweet as a new baby in the family.

Did I catch a bit of defensiveness in that comment? Are we feeling our age? :laugh2:

What's wrong with being a grandma?

Hehe, welcome back TM. I too had wondered where you had disappeared to?

Immie

hjmick
10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
...but is she hot?

:D:coffee::dance:

I don't think so, but I'm her brother. :laugh2:

hjmick
10-25-2007, 10:51 AM
There were times when on or the other got on my nerves but as they grew up and solidified their lives I have to say my 7 brothers and sisters are all very good, decent , funny people to be arround. My husbands best friends are my siblings and their spouses. They all married very decent people who fit right in. His brother and he have known my bros and sis's since the 70s and all are old buds.

That's what we hope for in our siblings and our children.

truthmatters
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Did I catch a bit of defensiveness in that comment? Are we feeling our age? :laugh2:

What's wrong with being a grandma?

Hehe, welcome back TM. I too had wondered where you had disappeared to?

Immie

Hey Immie my man. I tried hard not to put that feeling in there but I could not think of how to avoid it. I am turning 50 next month and feel GREAT about it. I feel like a hobbit. I think we are not fully grown up until 50. 5 of my bros and sis's are older than me so it doesnt feel old to me. It is good to be home though.