PDA

View Full Version : The Fires

Yurt
10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
I know 82nd here is from SD, not sure about anyone else, but thought I would share some personal stories I know. Anyone feel free so share.

My step dad and mom live on a hillside in La Mesa, almost got evacuated, but they were able to control the fire in time. My brother's work in grossmont was almost ordered shut down after a fire near grossmont high, but they controlled that in the nick of time. He tells me that school is still out for everyone. He has not had to evacuate because he is inland from the bare hills, i.e., in the inner burbs.

Mom took in a family of evacuees. My mom works with the woman and she and her husband just had a baby, and got evacuated, so we have a new born and a dog (on top of my mom's 4 dogs and 1 cat, well, 2 dogs and 2 yorkshire terrorists :D) under one ruff.

Other than that, my family is doing good. My dad is in Manhattan Beach and actually is getting ok air. Bad at times, good at times.

In SLO, we were smoked out monday and somewhat smoked out today.

hjmick
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Down here in VC we've been sucking down smoke and ash since Sunday. Today we finally got some relief.

Good to hear your family faired well.

glockmail
10-24-2007, 08:34 PM
According to Dr. Savage, the fires were set. They have captured or killed at least four of them.

So much for blaming it on global warming.:pee:

82Marine89
10-24-2007, 09:41 PM
I live on the east side of Santee. I've got a pounding headache from sucking smoke and ash for the past few days. I've posted pictures on the cheesewarts thread showing everything I've encountered in my travels over these past few days.

Today I drove into parts of Rancho Bernardo and couldn't believe the damage. Tree's with two foot diameter trunks snapped in half from the wind. Burned mountains for as far as the eye could see. From there I went into Escondido to check on our employees. after that, I drove to the coast and then down toward Bonita and Spring Valley. No matter where I went it smelled of smoke. I finished my day driving out to Alpine to check on a customers house. The damage out there can't be put into words. I did about 200 miles today and will probably do as much tomorrow. I'll bring my camera and take pictures of the devastation.

The one thing I did do while driving was monitor the CDF radios. 151.265 and 151.355 for those interested. I also stayed in contact with others that frequent the same HAM radio station that I use. If you ever want to be impressed with planning and adapting to circumstances, these men did it. From calling CHP to forcibly remove news crews from the fire lines, getting 500 lunches to the front lines before they spoil, and keeping all the aircraft, trucks, and strike teams working in unison to keep these fires at bay. My hat goes off to these men and women.

OCA
10-24-2007, 09:45 PM
I live on the east side of Santee. I've got a pounding headache from sucking smoke and ash for the past few days. I've posted pictures on the cheesewarts thread showing everything I've encountered in my travels over these past few days.

Today I drove into parts of Rancho Bernardo and couldn't believe the damage. Tree's with two foot diameter trunks snapped in half from the wind. Burned mountains for as far as the eye could see. From there I went into Escondido to check on our employees. after that, I drove to the coast and then down toward Bonita and Spring Valley. No matter where I went it smelled of smoke. I finished my day driving out to Alpine to check on a customers house. The damage out there can't be put into words. I did about 200 miles today and will probably do as much tomorrow. I'll bring my camera and take pictures of the devastation.

The one thing I did do while driving was monitor the CDF radios. 151.265 and 151.355 for those interested. I also stayed in contact with others that frequent the same HAM radio station that I use. If you ever want to be impressed with planning and adapting to circumstances, these men did it. From calling CHP to forcibly remove news crews from the fire lines, getting 500 lunches to the front lines before they spoil, and keeping all the aircraft, trucks, and strike teams working in unison to keep these fires at bay. My hat goes off to these men and women.

According to the douchebag Chesswars they were doing nothing but fucking off. I don't think Chesswars has a freakin clue about jackshit, maybe they should set a firebreak in his friggin living room.

Yurt
10-24-2007, 10:01 PM

Thank you. A true American. I just got off the phone with my mom and she is amazed at how smooth things have gone down in SD. I told her it was because SD has it together, unlike some chocolate city.....

manu1959
10-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Thank you. A true American. I just got off the phone with my mom and she is amazed at how smooth things have gone down in SD. I told her it was because SD has it together, unlike some chocolate city.....

nah .... bush just takes better care of the rich.....not a shock really....they pay more taxes they should get better service....

Yurt
10-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Just my thoughts:

Our enemies think that when some wee tragedy occurs to America that we will crumble. Given the past 6 years I feel confident in saying that we can do OK. I refrain from saying anything more than OK because we do not know how large the next tragedy is going to be.

This country can make it. People say our cities will crumble when we have a tragedy like san diego/la, well, the cities did not. They performed as best they could and when this wind is over, the city and its people will remain.

Our enemies watch too much TV. They do not understand the core of America. I say, FINE. If they do not know their enemies, they cannot defeat them.

This is not scaremongering as you libs would say, it is only the advice of me:

When this country sticks together strong, in a time of peril or any other time, we do/can/will succeed.

Yurt
10-24-2007, 10:14 PM
nah .... bush just takes better care of the rich.....not a shock really....they pay more taxes they should get better service....

are you being facetious?

I told my mom the difference is in the people. Notice, the evacuation was orderly.

manu1959
10-24-2007, 10:23 PM
are you being facetious?

I told my mom the difference is in the people. Notice, the evacuation was orderly.

they had roads to evacuate on......NO was under water.....plus rich folks line up well....

82Marine89
10-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Just my thoughts:

Our enemies think that when some wee tragedy occurs to America that we will crumble. Given the past 6 years I feel confident in saying that we can do OK. I refrain from saying anything more than OK because we do not know how large the next tragedy is going to be.

This country can make it. People say our cities will crumble when we have a tragedy like san diego/la, well, the cities did not. They performed as best they could and when this wind is over, the city and its people will remain.

Our enemies watch too much TV. They do not understand the core of America. I say, FINE. If they do not know their enemies, they cannot defeat them.

This is not scaremongering as you libs would say, it is only the advice of me:

When this country sticks together strong, in a time of peril or any other time, we do/can/will succeed.

I have to agree. Look at how people of different political beliefs came together to defend the hose draggers that are protecting our homes and our lives. We came together because one person, a person who in my opinion is a sore on the ass of Lady Liberty, decided to call them lazy, unorganized bastards. Americans are inherently strong , patriotic folks that forget about politics when it comes to the safety, sanctity, and security of this great Nation. It happened when Mr. Bush brought down the twin towers, It happened when he aimed the hurricane at New Orleans, and it happened when he snuck into California and started all these fires. For such a deedledorf, he is great at uniting this country. [/sarcasm]

Yurt
10-24-2007, 10:27 PM
they had roads to evacuate on......NO was under water.....plus rich folks line up well....

roads were closed, smoked out. sure, smoke might clear faster than water, but, roads were closed to the north.

rich folks line up well? LOL. last I checked at every ticket event, concert, disney land, airport, if you had a "first class" ticket, you get a "free" cut.

hjmick
10-24-2007, 10:28 PM

They also used...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...

School buses! Yes, they used school buses to evacuate some residents. Imagine that...

http://lonestartimes.com/images/2007/03/school_buses.jpg

82Marine89
10-24-2007, 10:30 PM

How much advanced warning did they have? More than we did, but we still managed to do it right.

manu1959
10-24-2007, 10:45 PM
How much advanced warning did they have? More than we did, but we still managed to do it right.

the rich are over achievers what can i say.......

manu1959
10-24-2007, 10:46 PM
They also used...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...

School buses! Yes, they used school buses to evacuate some residents. Imagine that...

http://lonestartimes.com/images/2007/03/school_buses.jpg

if they had used the buses that would be a picture of an empty lake......

Yurt
the rich are over achievers what can i say.......

put that wooden bra down :D

manu1959
put that wooden bra down :D

bet she has has a nice knot hole

Yurt
10-24-2007, 11:07 PM
bet she has has a nice knot hole

laughing too hard to type a response

diuretic
10-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Coming from bushfire-prone region I can only offer a word or two of support for the firefighters and the folks and animals affected by the fires. They look terrible on tv and on the net of course. I hope the break in the weather lasts and the firefighters can use it to get some gain on the fires.