PDA

View Full Version : 1st middle school, school dance!

Trinity
10-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Wow I remember mine, and my son is going to his first one tonight after school. His is from 3-5pm. I remember mine being in the evening when I was a kid and not right after school. I think I am going to sneak up to the school with the camera for some photo ops.:cool: I may have to wear a hat though so I am not easily recognized, cause he would probably have a cow!:laugh2:

darin
10-26-2007, 09:00 AM
My daughter's ELEMENTARY SCHOOL had a 'dance'. HOLY CRAP they're getting to kids early nowadays.

Kathianne
10-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Our 'Fall Ball' is this evening too. 6:30-9. Going to be a very long day. :laugh2:

manu1959
10-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Our 'Fall Ball' is this evening too. 6:30-9. Going to be a very long day. :laugh2:

classic...........:lol:

glockmail
10-26-2007, 10:23 AM
We had "square dancing" in Middle School, as a month-long program in gym class when I was a kid. That was basically the formal introduction to the opposite sex. Everyone said they hated it but in reality we all loved it and came away with some great memories. Mine is the brush of a girl's hair against my cheek and the feel of her sweaty hands in mine which sweated even more.

Trinity
10-26-2007, 10:24 AM
My daughter's ELEMENTARY SCHOOL had a 'dance'. HOLY CRAP they're getting to kids early nowadays.

my son had dances in the 4th and 5th grade at the intermediate school i think they had about 3 a year....but they are not what you would think. They did not decorate for them, nor did any of the kids dress up, and I really don't recall any of the kids dancing at all, other then the cha cha slide so I would not really had classified them as dances more of an after school party with music and pizza. However I have the sneaking suspicion that the middle school dance will be way different. Which is where my incognito and camera come into play!:coffee:

Trinity
10-26-2007, 10:34 AM
We had "square dancing" in Middle School, as a month-long program in gym class when I was a kid. That was basically the formal introduction to the opposite sex. Everyone said they hated it but in reality we all loved it and came away with some great memories. Mine is the brush of a girl's hair against my cheek and the feel of her sweaty hands in mine which sweated even more.

I remember doing that one too, however I think we did it in 4th or 5th grade and it was in Music class.

Immanuel
10-26-2007, 10:36 AM

I met my wife square dancing.

We were in a singles club together. I think you mentioned in the RSR Update thread that you gave up cigarettes to "catch" your wife? and don't miss the cigarettes but are still with her. Well, I tried and tried to get my wife (to be) to go to one of the dances with me and she kept refusing. Then I noticed she was only going to dances with guys with beards... so I grew mine. :laugh2: It worked! We don't dance any more as we moved to Florida and the only square dance clubs seem to be litterally 80 and over, but I am still married. Happily I might add.

Immie

Kathianne
10-26-2007, 10:59 AM
classic...........:lol:

I know, we crack up with the names.

glockmail
10-26-2007, 11:02 AM
I met my wife square dancing.

We were in a singles club together. I think you mentioned in the RSR Update thread that you gave up cigarettes to "catch" your wife? and don't miss the cigarettes but are still with her. Well, I tried and tried to get my wife (to be) to go to one of the dances with me and she kept refusing. Then I noticed she was only going to dances with guys with beards... so I grew mine. :laugh2: It worked! We don't dance any more as we moved to Florida and the only square dance clubs seem to be litterally 80 and over, but I am still married. Happily I might add.

Immie

I had a mustache back then and she liked that. But the real bait that caught her was my chic-magnet: a 1979 Kawasaki 650KZ with cast aluminium wheels, triple disk brakes and deep blue paint. It was very quiet and smooth and I rode it sanely. She loves blue.

gabosaurus
10-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I didn't attend dances. Not even senior prom. I recall that my future husband and I skipped prom and went right to the after prom activities. :)

Trigg
10-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Wow I remember mine, and my son is going to his first one tonight after school. His is from 3-5pm. I remember mine being in the evening when I was a kid and not right after school. I think I am going to sneak up to the school with the camera for some photo ops.:cool: I may have to wear a hat though so I am not easily recognized, cause he would probably have a cow!:laugh2:

They have our middle school dances right after school also. We had ours at night.

Not that it mattered, from what my son said the dancing is the same, boys on one side girls on the other dancing in groups. With one or two "couples".

Classact
10-26-2007, 01:01 PM
We had "square dancing" in Middle School, as a month-long program in gym class when I was a kid. That was basically the formal introduction to the opposite sex. Everyone said they hated it but in reality we all loved it and came away with some great memories. Mine is the brush of a girl's hair against my cheek and the feel of her sweaty hands in mine which sweated even more.My middle school had the exact same program but the dance was the newly born rock and roll... socks on the hardwoods with a disco ball and dimed lights for the slow dances... a monster was born. What wonderful memories!

My kids are both in a private school and they don't have dances and the classes are rather small but the school often have evening talent shows and they love the chance for social contact in the dark on the tennis court equipped with stage and folding chairs.

Trinity
10-26-2007, 04:26 PM
dance update: just picked my 11 year old up from the dance he said he had a blast...... unfortunately I was unable to sneak in for photos.

As soon as he realized I was there he came running up to me, telling me what a good time he had and he has a girlfriend now:eek: I was like who is she? he says you know her mom one of the cheerleaders for my football team:eek: oh but see he has a plan he wants to be nominated 6th grade prince at the Christmas dance and his new girlfriend is one of the most popular girls in school. Go figure. wow 11 years old and it's already starting.

and now he is reading over my shoulder......... he says what do you mean it's already starting? I said you know the whole boyfriend girlfriend thing.

Pale Rider
10-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I didn't attend dances. Not even senior prom. I recall that my future husband and I skipped prom and went right to the after prom activities. :)

I guess that's where the old saying for someone leaving in a hurry, "off like a prom dress after midnight," came from... :laugh:

Kathianne
10-26-2007, 05:44 PM
My middle school had the exact same program but the dance was the newly born rock and roll... socks on the hardwoods with a disco ball and dimed lights for the slow dances... a monster was born. What wonderful memories!

My kids are both in a private school and they don't have dances and the classes are rather small but the school often have evening talent shows and they love the chance for social contact in the dark on the tennis court equipped with stage and folding chairs.

I teach in a parochial school, we have 2, sometimes 3 dances for 6-8 per year. DJ, pizza, pop, and snacks. The kids pay $5. Like your school, we teachers sometimes wonder how they can be with the same kids from pre-school on and want to dance. :laugh2: But they always have a good time. 6th grade 'decorates' the gym, 7th grade sends out the invitations and handles the food.

It is a long day/night though! :coffee:

Guernicaa
10-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Thats what I usually do.
They have police doing breathalizers at mine.
And they wonder why nobody comes...

actsnoblemartin
10-26-2007, 09:14 PM
congratulations. If your sons are anything like you, they will be awesome human beings :), and great future moms and dads

Trinity
10-27-2007, 08:28 AM
congratulations. If your sons are anything like you, they will be awesome human beings :), and great future moms and dads

Let's hope!:coffee:

5stringJeff
10-27-2007, 02:38 PM
My daughter just has her first middle school dance last night as well. She went with two of her friends. She said that she didn't dance since she doesn't really know how, but she said she really enjoyed it.

Trinity
10-27-2007, 04:42 PM
My daughter just has her first middle school dance last night as well. She went with two of her friends. She said that she didn't dance since she doesn't really know how, but she said she really enjoyed it.

Yeah my son didn't dance either, neither did any of the other 6th graders that attended however a lot of the 7th and 8th graders did.