PDA

View Full Version : Would you support a flag burning amendment making it illegal to burn it

actsnoblemartin
10-26-2007, 08:32 PM
yes or no. why?

April15
10-26-2007, 08:34 PM
NO! As it is the only proper way to retire a used flag.

Gaffer
10-26-2007, 08:45 PM
An amendment would not affect someone burning a retired flag properly. It would only cover people desecrating the flag. I would support such an amendment.

Classact
10-26-2007, 08:58 PM
An amendment would not affect someone burning a retired flag properly. It would only cover people desecrating the flag. I would support such an amendment.I would support burning the guy who burned the flag. It is not free speech. People who burn the flag should be sent to Venezuela for a one year paid vacation right after they get out of jail.

bullypulpit
10-26-2007, 09:14 PM
I would support burning the guy who burned the flag. It is not free speech. People who burn the flag should be sent to Venezuela for a one year paid vacation right after they get out of jail.

Sorry, but it IS free speech. Or are you going to put everyone in jail who has a flag sewn to the ass of their jeans...plastered on a cheap, Chinese-made t-shirt...Or stuck to their lapels in the form of one of those pins made by slave-labor in a Chicom factory? Your handle is a misnomer...You got no class.

hjmick
10-26-2007, 09:15 PM
No.

Classact
10-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Sorry, but it IS free speech. Or are you going to put everyone in jail who has a flag sewn to the ass of their jeans...plastered on a cheap, Chinese-made t-shirt...Or stuck to their lapels in the form of one of those pins made by slave-labor in a Chicom factory? Your handle is a misnomer...You got no class.Piss on you unless you are burning a flag and then I would place an accelerator... You apparently have never seen a flag in the rear view mirror nor seen a soldier punished for allowing it to touch the ground in a flag ceremony.

82Marine89
10-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Sorry, but it IS free speech. Or are you going to put everyone in jail who has a flag sewn to the ass of their jeans...plastered on a cheap, Chinese-made t-shirt...Or stuck to their lapels in the form of one of those pins made by slave-labor in a Chicom factory? Your handle is a misnomer...You got no class.

Free speech? Fine, but you must realize that I took an oath to protect this great Nation against enemies both foreign and domestic. I pledge allegiance to that flag and the Republic for which it stands, so if I ever see a person burn or desecrate an American flag in my presence, I will do everything in my power to defend that flag and use as much force as is required to end the situation as abruptly as possible. .

JackDaniels
10-26-2007, 10:19 PM
yes or no. why?

Absolutely not. Political demonstration is exactly what the first amendment was designed to protect.

Yurt
10-27-2007, 01:50 AM
Absolutely not. Political demonstration is exactly what the first amendment was designed to protect.

can i burn you as a way to protest you

Pale Rider
10-27-2007, 01:58 AM
There is NO OTHER SYMBOL for America. It is OUR FLAG, as there are flags of all other nations. It should be held in the highest of regard, and protected from any and all disrespect and desecration. If you burn an American flag other than retiring it, you are PISSING IN THE FACE DISRESPECTING all those who have fought, spilled their blood and died under it, and in essence, every American citizen.

You bet yer fuckin' ass I'd support it.

mrg666
10-27-2007, 07:39 AM

BURN the flag not tee shirts , badgers or pins burning the flag a yes or a no would suffice
how you could get from burning the flag to slave labour is beyond me but you managed it :clap:
are you a lawyer ?

JackDaniels
10-27-2007, 10:05 AM
can i burn you as a way to protest you

For the sake of your own intelligence, I hope you are joking.

Pale Rider
10-27-2007, 10:52 AM

I thought it was a good point.

gabosaurus
10-27-2007, 11:02 AM
It's called "freedom of expression."

Kathianne
10-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Free speech? Fine, but you must realize that I took an oath to protect this great Nation against enemies both foreign and domestic. I pledge allegiance to that flag and the Republic for which it stands, so if I ever see a person burn or desecrate an American flag in my presence, I will do everything in my power to defend that flag and use as much force as is required to end the situation as abruptly as possible. .

I'm against any amendment making flag burning illegal. However I agree with the above, as long as the person is willing to pay the consequences if it gets out of hand. I would be so willing. Then again, I hadn't a problem with Civil Rights marches, protests, etc., and paying the price for the laws at the time.

That is what Thoreau and King were talking about. Some things are worth standing up for and being responsible for one's actions.

Gunny
10-27-2007, 11:26 AM

Sorry, but no it isn't free speech. It's offending others to gain attention.

There's a big difference between wearing apparel that depicts the US flag and purposefully desecrating it. You cannot remove intent from the argument, no matter how hard you try.

REDWHITEBLUE2
10-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I say let some scum bag burn the flag But pass a law that allows Real Americans the right to Beat the flag burners ass and cover him with a flag from say IRAN :dance:

retiredman
10-27-2007, 01:23 PM
As much as I disagree with the idea of burning our flag, I personally believe that one of the most basic rights I served this country to protect was the right to express one's self without fear of retribution from the government.

I must say that any GI who would risk his life for a flag only, is foolish. I would never put myself in danger just to protect the flag. I DID and always would put myself in harm's way to protect a comrade in arms... or to accomplish the mission.

In the final analysis, it is a piece of cloth.... not a piece of the true cross. It is a SYMBOL of America - not America herself - and I believe that America is SO great that it can withstand the demonstrations of protest that burning that symbol presents.

Classact
10-27-2007, 01:25 PM
In the military there is a crime listed as Provoking Speech or Gestures. In civil law this same rule applies to "hate crimes" like calling a black person a N-word or spear chucker or hanging a noose. If the action is preformed to illicit a hostile reaction it is a provoking speech or gesture or a hate crime. Or, at least that is the way I see it.

If the majority of black people see a noose as a provoking gesture equal to a hate crime then a majority of citizens that regularly say allegiance to the flag and love their flag should view the action as provoking speech or gesture or a hate crime.

mrg666
10-27-2007, 01:33 PM
In the military there is a crime listed as Provoking Speech or Gestures. In civil law this same rule applies to "hate crimes" like calling a black person a N-word or spear chucker or hanging a noose. If the action is preformed to illicit a hostile reaction it is a provoking speech or gesture or a hate crime. Or, at least that is the way I see it.

If the majority of black people see a noose as a provoking gesture equal to a hate crime then a majority of citizens that regularly say allegiance to the flag and love their flag should view the action as provoking speech or gesture or a hate crime.

very well said :clap:

Yurt
10-27-2007, 07:41 PM

If you had more intelligence, you would not have asked this question

Yurt
10-27-2007, 07:43 PM
It's called "freedom of expression."

Is that an absolute freedom? Is it an inalienable right?

Yurt
10-27-2007, 07:45 PM

Amazing, I have said this general idea before, yet, people still view the flag as solely "cloth." The way you brought the point was salient, current and right on.

Thanks.

Yurt
10-27-2007, 07:48 PM
As much as I disagree with the idea of burning our flag, I personally believe that one of the most basic rights I served this country to protect was the right to express one's self without fear of retribution from the government.

I must say that any GI who would risk his life for a flag only, is foolish. I would never put myself in danger just to protect the flag. I DID and always would put myself in harm's way to protect a comrade in arms... or to accomplish the mission.

In the final analysis, it is a piece of cloth.... not a piece of the true cross. It is a SYMBOL of America - not America herself - and I believe that America is SO great that it can withstand the demonstrations of protest that burning that symbol presents.

Would you burn a draft card?

Would you make a joking threat to the POTUS?

Would you walk into a jury vior dire and say: yes, i hate all blacks and therefore you can't knock me off this jury for that "expression?" And no, not saying the exact thing, it is an a-n-a-l-o-g-y

JackDaniels
10-27-2007, 08:45 PM
I thought it was a good point.

That's because you're an authoritarian and work to dissolve liberty, and aren't smart enough to even realize it.

82Marine89
10-27-2007, 08:52 PM

You might have spent time in the Navy, but you didn't serve this country.

Mr. P
10-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Would you support a flag burning amendment making it illegal to burn it

Nope. The Constitution is fine.

manu1959
10-27-2007, 09:44 PM

sorry, but burning the symbol of your country is not free speech.....

anyone who burns the flag for effect....should be arrested and jailed....

manu1959
10-27-2007, 09:46 PM

what if a wrap you in an american flag first......

retiredman
10-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Would you burn a draft card?

Would you make a joking threat to the POTUS?

Would you walk into a jury vior dire and say: yes, i hate all blacks and therefore you can't knock me off this jury for that "expression?" And no, not saying the exact thing, it is an a-n-a-l-o-g-y

I volunteered, so the first question is moot.

are you really comparing an actual threat to an individual with the act of burning a piece of cloth?

If I said I hated all blacks, and the case involved racial issues, I would expect either the defense attorney or the prosecutor to dismiss me as a juror. Would I have a right to say it? of course. And what does that have to do with burning a piece of cloth?

retiredman
10-27-2007, 10:00 PM
You might have spent time in the Navy, but you didn't serve this country.

fuck you jarhead.

I served this country long and hard long before you ever jacked off into a kleenex.

82Marine89
10-27-2007, 10:23 PM
fuck you jarhead.

I served this country long and hard long before you ever jacked off into a kleenex.

When you were serving long and hard did you hum "In the Navy"?

actsnoblemartin
10-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Is flag burning a state issue, or federal issue?

REDWHITEBLUE2
10-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Is flag burning a state issue, or federal issue? were talking about old glory so it's a federal issue:poke: