PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in H.I.P.P.A.

actsnoblemartin
10-26-2007, 08:35 PM
or Do you believe H.I.P.P.A. is bad and why

H.I.P.P.A. = Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=hipaa&spell=1

http://www.hipaa.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Insurance_Portability_and_Accountability_Ac t

bullypulpit
10-27-2007, 09:28 AM
It's a major pain in the ass for health-care providers. And while the insurance may be "portable", it is by no means affordable, with premiums of up to $1200 per month or more for the coverage provided by COBRA.

Immanuel
10-27-2007, 09:51 AM
It's a major pain in the ass for health-care providers. And while the insurance may be "portable", it is by no means affordable, with premiums of up to $1200 per month or more for the coverage provided by COBRA.

100% agree with this statement.

And health insurance providers take the "privacy" requirement to extremes. For instance, My wife had a colonoscopy (sp?) and the insurance company, my insurance, did not pay the entire bill so the hospital tried to bill ME! Later, after I thought everything had been worked out with the insurance, I called the hospital to find out if the bill had finally been paid and make arangements to pay our balance and the moron on the other line (although they were billing me, not my wife) would not give me any information about MY account without my wife's permission... for privacy reason, but they were threatening my credit rating!

I wasn't even asking about her medical condition. Morons.

Immie

JohnDoe
10-27-2007, 10:27 AM
100% agree with this statement.

And health insurance providers take the "privacy" requirement to extremes. For instance, My wife had a colonoscopy (sp?) and the insurance company, my insurance, did not pay the entire bill so the hospital tried to bill ME! Later, after I thought everything had been worked out with the insurance, I called the hospital to find out if the bill had finally been paid and make arangements to pay our balance and the moron on the other line (although they were billing me, not my wife) would not give me any information about MY account without my wife's permission... for privacy reason, but they were threatening my credit rating!

I wasn't even asking about her medical condition. Morons.

Immie
ahhh, looks like it was part of revisions to HIPA

The Privacy Rule

The Privacy Rule took effect on April 14, 2003, with a one-year extension for certain "small plans." It establishes regulations for the use and disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI). PHI is any information about health status, provision of health care, or payment for health care that can be linked to an individual.[12] This is interpreted rather broadly and includes any part of a patient’s medical record or payment history.

April15
10-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I would imagine you must have insurance to be qualified for hippa? I don't know shit about it and have only heard the name bantered about.

Trigg
10-27-2007, 02:16 PM
I would imagine you must have insurance to be qualified for hippa? I don't know shit about it and have only heard the name bantered about.

It's a privacy issue that is a pain in the rear for hospitals, you don't qualify for it you put up with it.

example: your husband goes to the ER and is in x-ray. You come to x-ray to see him and ask if he is there. We are not allowed to tell you.

Next time you go to the hospital they will ask "do you care if your in the patient registry?" If your in the hospital, but not in the registry, anyone who calls will be told they don't know if you are there or not and that includes family/friends/and clergy.

April15
10-27-2007, 02:20 PM
It's a privacy issue that is a pain in the rear for hospitals, you don't qualify for it you put up with it.

example: your husband goes to the ER and is in x-ray. You come to x-ray to see him and ask if he is there. We are not allowed to tell you.

Next time you go to the hospital they will ask "do you care if your in the patient registry?" If your in the hospital, but not in the registry, anyone who calls will be told they don't know if you are there or not and that includes family/friends/and clergy.How dumb!

Trigg
10-27-2007, 02:22 PM
How dumb!

Yep, I just tell people to thank the gov.