PDA

View Full Version : Do you notice higher prices on certain items?

Classact
10-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm retired and my main function is house-husband which includes buying all the food and other household supplies. I know gas is much higher but have you noticed selected other items increasing in price?

For example anything that is made from corn is more expensive now since ethanol is being produced from corn... this includes corn fed beef, quality steaks.

By to my surprise on my last shopping trip laundry detergent increased by 20% and my wife tells me the price of milk will increase this week and it is already $4.05 a gallon.

Has anyone else noticed selected items going higher?

Yurt
10-27-2007, 09:22 PM
actually no, but will take a look.

though, it is bound to happen, it is the market. especially with minimum wage laws.

i do remember though when a snickers cost only 25 cents. :cheers2:

actsnoblemartin
10-27-2007, 09:26 PM
yes, because were using corn for ethanol, prices of milk, and cheese are going up :(

The demand has gone up.

So people in poor countries especially are having a hard time, getting fed with these global increases

I'm retired and my main function is house-husband which includes buying all the food and other household supplies. I know gas is much higher but have you noticed selected other items increasing in price?

For example anything that is made from corn is more expensive now since ethanol is being produced from corn... this includes corn fed beef, quality steaks.

By to my surprise on my last shopping trip laundry detergent increased by 20% and my wife tells me the price of milk will increase this week and it is already $4.05 a gallon.

jackass
10-28-2007, 10:53 AM
I have definatley noticed milk going up. We go through roughly 4 or 5 gallons a week. Thank God Costco has kept their price down.

Classact
10-28-2007, 11:52 AM
I you Google ... world food prices to rise ... you get a lot of hits... But I saw something on a news program a week or so ago that relates it to the weak US dollar along with subsidies for ethanol. Because of growing third world economies the demand for food will be much higher... because our dollar is seen as cheap to other nations right now they increase their demand for our grains and other commodities. I don't follow food commodities but I have watched copper prices triple and almost quadruple over the last couple of years... On the news today they announced beer prices will go up 10% in just days from now... that's serious impact on a very large market.

OCA
10-28-2007, 12:39 PM
If amnesty is not granted and illegals are forced out all food items will go up astronomically since there will be no one to do the work. Not to mention house prices and the cost of getting a hotel room.

Pale Rider
10-28-2007, 01:04 PM
If amnesty is not granted and illegals are forced out all food items will go up astronomically since there will be no one to do the work. Not to mention house prices and the cost of getting a hotel room.

I see it a little different... I don't think we can afford to have them stay...

From the Los Angeles Times

1. 40% of all workers in LOS ANGELES COUNTY ( LA County has 10.2 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on MediCal , whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

(There are 10.2 million people in LA County )

(All of the above are from the Los Angeles Times)

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare.

Over 70% of the United States ' annual population growth (and over 90% of California , Florida , and New York ) results from immigration.

29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

We are a bunch of fools for letting this continue.

WHY CAN'T WE SEND THEM HOME

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

Send copies of this letter to at least two other people... 100 would be even better.

UNITED WE STAND - GOD BLESS AMERICA

Once again, let me be clear, enter legally, we will help you, enter illegally, disrespect our laws from the second you enter our country and as far as I am concerned, someone needs to show you the door and put a boot up your ass.

Many come here legally and establish wonderful lives for themselves, as someone said (cannot remember who) KNOCK on the front door, because the back door will be closed.

http://wwwwakeupamericans-spree.blogspot.com/2007/05/amnesty-for-illegal-immigrants.html

And contrary to what some people may believe, the largest share of our vegetable crops are now being imported from over seas. Also, the money saved by arresting and deporting illegal aliens, getting them off government welfare, out of our jails and prisons, and relieving pressure off law enforcement, there's a very good chance food prices could fall.

82Marine89
10-28-2007, 01:09 PM

I noticed it on the steak prices. I love prime rib and slow cooked pork ribs. It's getting to the point where it's cheaper to get them at a restaurant.

OCA
10-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I see it a little different... I don't think we can afford to have them stay...

And contrary to what some people may believe, the largest share of our vegetable crops are now being imported from over seas. Also, the money saved by arresting and deporting illegal aliens by getting them off government welfare, out of our jails and prisons, and relieving pressure off law enforcement, there's a very good chance food prices could fall.

No chance that food prices would fall, i'll bet my children's lives on it.

Bush tried to assimilate illegals already here and get them paying into the system, you guys shot him down, you guys like having illegal immigration to gripe about.

Pale Rider
10-28-2007, 01:37 PM
No chance that food prices would fall, i'll bet my children's lives on it.

Bush tried to assimilate illegals already here and get them paying into the system, you guys shot him down, you guys like having illegal immigration to gripe about.

Giving amnesty to 20 million illegal aliens would cripple America. We simply can't do that, and it won't happen. It's political suicide for any politician that tries it. Just watch. That shit stain from my state dingy harry is on his way out for all his efforts pushing for amnesty. Nevadians are pissed off. Even the democrats who elected him. America would save in the TRILLIONS of dollars if all the illegals were gone. I believe not only would food prices fall, but the cost of everything else as well.

OCA
10-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Giving amnesty to 20 million illegal aliens would cripple America. We simply can't do that, and it won't happen. It's political suicide for any politician that tries it. Just watch. That shit stain from my state dingy harry is on his way out for all his efforts pushing for amnesty. Nevadians are pissed off. Even the democrats who elected him. America would save in the TRILLIONS of dollars if all the illegals were gone. I believe not only would food prices fall, but the cost of everything else as well.

How exactly would 20 million people willing to work cripple America? My brother you see how that don't make any sense, right?

April15
10-28-2007, 02:04 PM
All the beaners could die and that would have no impact of transportation costs. Transportation costs have had way more impact of food than any other two things combined. Included in transportation cost is the corn used for ethanol. Wheat production has been low this year and more used for ethanol.
High fructose corn syrup is costing more because of ethanol. So everything sweetened costs more for two reason. As the US dollar becomes worth less everything you buy will cost more. Especially imported goods.
And as for construction if the beaners die there would be a time of learning for the new labor pool before construction could resume.

Classact
10-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Any person that argues illegals should be made citizens so we can have cheap lettuce and fruit are arguing slaves should be freed so we can have cheap cotton... If you want cheap labor then make them temp Kelly Girls or boys from Mexico that have to return to Mexico because if you let them stay as citizens they will sue for your job.

Let the free market work and when the price goes high the for grade school skill labor like it did in Mo-Town you will see robots and imports to repair out of line labor costs.

OCA
10-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Any person that argues illegals should be made citizens so we can have cheap lettuce and fruit are arguing slaves should be freed so we can have cheap cotton... If you want cheap labor then make them temp Kelly Girls or boys from Mexico that have to return to Mexico because if you let them stay as citizens they will sue for your job.

Let the free market work and when the price goes high the for grade school skill labor like it did in Mo-Town you will see robots and imports to repair out of line labor costs.

Slaves=no pay

illegals=get paid

See the difference? What a ridiculous argument.

Classact
10-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Slaves=no pay

illegals=get paid

See the difference? What a ridiculous argument.Why are farmers having a hard time finding farm workers with so many millions of illegals? Perhaps they have found out that they can make more money displacing a carpenter or bricklayer?

Here is an email my bleeding heart liberal democrat sis-in-law sent me today that sort of addresses my side of this mess... funny how some democrats get it?
Subject: Cheap Tomatoes

This English teacher has phrased it the best I've seen yet

Tomatoes and Cheap Labor

CHEAP TOMATOES?
This should make everyone think, be you Democrat, Republican or Independent

From a California school teacher - - -

"As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you should be aware of:

I am in charge of the English-as-a-second-language department at a large southern California high school which is designated a Title 1 school, meaning that its students average lower socioeconomic and income levels.

Most of the schools you are hearing about, South Gate High, Bell Gardens , Huntington Park , etc., where these students are protesting, are also Title 1 schools.

Title 1 schools are on the free breakfast and free lunch program. When I say free breakfast, I'm not talking a glass of milk and roll -- but a full breakfast and cereal bar with fruits and juices that would make a Marriott proud. The waste of this food is monumental, with trays and trays of it being dumped in the trash uneaten. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I estimate that well over 50% of these students are obese or at least moderately overweight. About 75% or more DO have cell phones. The school also provides day care centers for the unwed teenage pregnant girls (some as young as 13) so they can attend class without the inconvenience of having to arrange for babysitters or having family watch their kids. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I was ordered to spend $700,000 on my department or risk losing
funding for the upcoming year even though there was little need for anything; my budget was already substantial. I ended up buying new computers for the computer learning center, half of which, one month later, have been carved with graffiti by the appreciative students who obviously feel humbled and grateful to have a free education in America . (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I have had to intervene several times for young and substitute teachers whose classes consist of many illegal immigrant students here in the country less then 3 months who raised so much hell with the female teachers, calling them "Putas" whores and throwing things that the teachers were in tears.

Free medical,free education, free food, day care
etc., etc, etc. Is it any wonder they feel entitled to not only be in this country but to demand rights, privileges and entitlements?

To those who want to point out how much these illegal immigrants contribute to our society because they LIKE their gardener and housekeeper and they like to pay less for tomatoes: spend some time in the real world of illegal immigration and see the TRUE costs.

Higher insurance, medical facilities closing, higher medical costs, more crime, lower standards of education in our schools, overcrowding, new diseases etc., etc, etc. For me, I'll pay more for tomatoes.

We need to wake up. The guest worker program will be a disaster because we won't have the guts to enforce it Does anyone in their right mind really think they will voluntarily leave and return?

It does, however, have everything to do with culture: A third-world culture that does not value education, that accepts children getting pregnant and dropping out of school by 15 and that refuses to assimilate, and an American culture that has become so weak and worried about "political correctness" that we don't have the will to do anything about it.

If this makes your blood boil, as it did mine, forward this to everyone you know.

CHEAP LABOR? Isn't that what the whole immigration issue is about?

Business doesn't want to pay a decent wage.

Consumers don't want expensive produce.

Government will tell you Americans don't want the jobs.

But the bottom line is cheap labor. The phrase "cheap labor" is a myth, a farce, and a lie. There is no such thing as "cheap labor."

Take, for example, an illegal alien with a wife and five children. He takes a job for $5.00 or 6.00/hour. At that wage, with six dependents, he pays no income tax, yet at the end of the year, if he files an Income Tax Return, he gets an "earned income credit" of up to $3,200 free.

He qualifies for Section 8 housing and subsidized rent.

He qualifies for food stamps.

He qualifies for free (no deductible, no co-pay) health care.

His children get free breakfasts and lunches at school.

He requires bilingual teachers and books.

He qualifies for relief from high energy bills

If they are or become, aged, blind or disabled, they qualify for SSI. Once qualified for SSI they can qualify for Medicare! . All of this is at (our) taxpayer's expense.

He doesn't worry about car insurance, life insurance, or homeowners insurance.

Taxpayers prov ide Spanish language signs, bulletins and printed material.

He and his family receive the equivalent of $20.00 to $3000/hour i n benefits.

Working Americans are lucky to have $5.00 or $6.00/hour left after paying their bills and his.

The American taxpayers also pay for increased crime, graffiti and trash clean-up.

Cheap labor? YEAH RIGHT! Wake up people!

THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS WE SHOULD BE ADD RESSING TO THE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES FOR EITHER PARTY. 'AND WHEN THEY LIE TO US AND DON'T DO AS THEY SAY, WE SHOULD REPLACE THEM AT ONCE!'

OCA
10-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey we are a nation that murders unborn babies, does that make us 1st world or 3rd world?

Classact
10-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey we are a nation that murders unborn babies, does that make us 1st world or 3rd world?What is your point as it relates to groceries? I think abortion is killing but I've known several women that have had abortions and wouldn't call them killers to their face. Each woman I have met that has had an abortion regrets it.

Abortion is a liberal or left support for legislation and litigation in the courts... are you saying you support the right that opposes abortion? Vote Republican so we can be a 1st world nation.

Let's talk food. Liberals seem to be emotional so when you get emotional men and then factor in that a majority of women are emotional I see how the Democrats obtain political office and then embarass themselves as the women turn to new emotions of fear from the helpless liberal politicians.

OCA
10-28-2007, 05:22 PM
What is your point as it relates to groceries? I think abortion is killing but I've known several women that have had abortions and wouldn't call them killers to their face. Each woman I have met that has had an abortion regrets it.

Abortion is a liberal or left support for legislation and litigation in the courts... are you saying you support the right that opposes abortion? Vote Republican so we can be a 1st world nation.

Let's talk food. Liberals seem to be emotional so when you get emotional men and then factor in that a majority of women are emotional I see how the Democrats obtain political office and then embarass themselves as the women turn to new emotions of fear from the helpless liberal politicians.

My point is that you label, or at least the email you posted attempts to label all illegals as uneducated 3rd worlders. Here is what I propose....a trade, i'll take all the illegals who by all accounts are willing to work and we'll ship out all legal Americand currently on welfare but that are physically and mentally capable of working. Which one is leaching off the system? The Americans, the illegals would gladly pay into the system and in fact Bush tried to get legislation to do just that.................but you guys like the fact that they are here and not paying into the system or else you would've supported that.

If illegals are forced out THERE WILL NOT BE AMERICANS lined up to take those jobs, wage raise or no raise wage, we are simply a nation of highly educated and need it all now types, they are not going to work those jobs, that is a fact.

In the end all I care about is economics and I like the powers that be know that cheap labor is vital to our economy and if the economy crashes..........America crashes. I can give two shits less about sovereignty and all that, just put some greenbacks in my pocket, sovereignty don't do that but a good freakin economy does.

Pale Rider
10-28-2007, 06:21 PM
How exactly would 20 million people willing to work cripple America? My brother you see how that don't make any sense, right?

Without going into detail overload, which I will if need be, if twenty million illegal aliens were instantly made eligible for Social Security, having not a one of them ever paid a cent into it, that alone could cripple our economy.

It's like this, if you entered this country illegally, you're a criminal, plain and simple, that's a fact. We should NOT reward the very first thing you do in our country is break our law by giving you citizenship. That's totally absurd, and thought so by for all intents and purposes, the vast majority of Americans.

You're arguing a very unpopular position my friend, with very little to no good reasoning as to why, other than you're an immigrant, so you take their side.

April15
10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Pale Rider, I have seen the W-2's of illegals who want to file income tax. There is someone getting FICA and Medicare payments to their accounts and it isn't hose a or hose b. Not to mention the federal witholding for income tax that will never be paid out to anyone.

Please don't say the beaners haven't paid into a system that some clearly have.

Classact
10-28-2007, 07:15 PM
My point is that you label, or at least the email you posted attempts to label all illegals as uneducated 3rd worlders. Here is what I propose....a trade, i'll take all the illegals who by all accounts are willing to work and we'll ship out all legal Americand currently on welfare but that are physically and mentally capable of working. Which one is leaching off the system? The Americans, the illegals would gladly pay into the system and in fact Bush tried to get legislation to do just that.................but you guys like the fact that they are here and not paying into the system or else you would've supported that.Here is the way I see it... it is not illegal to be homeless in America or all homeless would be arrested by the government and placed in welfare. So, I would end welfare right after expelling illegals and tell them if they want to eat then get a Mexican illegals job that has recently been vacated, otherwise go see your family or the church for compassion. We lost over 10,000 soldiers establishing the Mexican-American border and in today's percentage of the population that would be two or three million soldiers dead establishing the god damned border with Mexico... so, we should respect the deaths of our millions of soldiers that formed that border and try and understand why we have a god damned border.

If illegals are forced out THERE WILL NOT BE AMERICANS lined up to take those jobs, wage raise or no raise wage, we are simply a nation of highly educated and need it all now types, they are not going to work those jobs, that is a fact.Bull shit! What about all the blacks bitching about having more people in jail than in college... let those who just graduated jail take a job or take no tax giveaways?

In the end all I care about is economics and I like the powers that be know that cheap labor is vital to our economy and if the economy crashes..........America crashes. I can give two shits less about sovereignty and all that, just put some greenbacks in my pocket, sovereignty don't do that but a good freakin economy does.You would be a great justifier of slavery and are a great example of anti American. If you could give a shit about sovereignty then that translates you could give a shit about America. Because, without sovereignty there is no America or any other country, sovereignty is what makes a country a country... You are apparently confused with the song Imagine as being a realistic choice.

OCA
10-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Here is the way I see it... it is not illegal to be homeless in America or all homeless would be arrested by the government and placed in welfare. So, I would end welfare right after expelling illegals and tell them if they want to eat then get a Mexican illegals job that has recently been vacated, otherwise go see your family or the church for compassion. We lost over 10,000 soldiers establishing the Mexican-American border and in today's percentage of the population that would be two or three million soldiers dead establishing the god damned border with Mexico... so, we should respect the deaths of our millions of soldiers that formed that border and try and understand why we have a god damned border.

Bull shit! What about all the blacks bitching about having more people in jail than in college... let those who just graduated jail take a job or take no tax giveaways?

You would be a great justifier of slavery and are a great example of anti American. If you could give a shit about sovereignty then that translates you could give a shit about America. Because, without sovereignty there is no America or any other country, sovereignty is what makes a country a country... You are apparently confused with the song Imagine as being a realistic choice.

Tell me, truthfully, who will exactly benefit from this utopian vision of illegals being booted and our sovereignty regained? Noone, not you nor I and for dam n sure not business and the American economy. Now that we have that established i'm left with only one reason why you guys could be rabid about this.........prejudice. Oh it will be argued that it has nothing to do with ethnicity but you have to admit that if you hate Latinos here is your perfect opportunity to have that hate legitimized.

So what was that you were saying about Blacks? What are you gonna do? Force them to go take those shitty jobs? You are gonna target them with no tax breaks? You gotta be shitting me if you ever think thats gonna happen in today's America, America breaks its ass to make sure that Blacks don't have to work for the most part.

Justifier of slavery lol...........that brush don't paint here, try another avenue of thought.

Seal the border and grant amnesty to illegals already here, its the only way.

OCA
10-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Without going into detail overload, which I will if need be, if twenty million illegal aliens were instantly made eligible for Social Security, having not a one of them ever paid a cent into it, that alone could cripple our economy.

It's like this, if you entered this country illegally, you're a criminal, plain and simple, that's a fact. We should NOT reward the very first thing you do in our country is break our law by giving you citizenship. That's totally absurd, and thought so by for all intents and purposes, the vast majority of Americans.

You're arguing a very unpopular position my friend, with very little to no good reasoning as to why, other than you're an immigrant, so you take their side.

Why would it cripple it? It would not be retroactive, they would start earning dime 1 of S.S. the minute they started paying into it.

The criminal shit........... we are just gonna have to swallow the bullet on that, you are never gonna get rid of even a small percentage of them, its just a fact, oh you hear about 20 here or a 100 there whilst a 1000 came over the same day, just grant the amnesty and move on, almost makes me hope Hillary gets elected so we get this done and over with. Its gonna happen my friend, believe that.

And no Pale, this has nothing to do with me being an immigrant, i've got 4 kids and if prices on shit go up astronomically because we had to satisfy the sovereignty needs of this country, a country which kills unborn children, bows down to faggots etc. etc. etc. and generally could give two shits less about the average Joe, and I get in a financial crunch i'm gonna be fucking pissed and then every motherfucker who fucked up the economy by booting WORKERS, PRODUCERS, is gonna pay.

Gunny
10-28-2007, 10:12 PM
actually no, but will take a look.

though, it is bound to happen, it is the market. especially with minimum wage laws.

i do remember though when a snickers cost only 25 cents. :cheers2:

Dude, candy bars were a nickel when I was a kid, and I don't think they had snickers until I got older. :smoke:

82Marine89
10-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Dude, candy bars were a nickel when I was a kid, and I don't think they had snickers until I got older. :smoke:

Remember two pieces of bazooka bubble gum for a penny?

Pale Rider
10-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Pale Rider, I have seen the W-2's of illegals who want to file income tax. There is someone getting FICA and Medicare payments to their accounts and it isn't hose a or hose b. Not to mention the federal witholding for income tax that will never be paid out to anyone.

Please don't say the beaners haven't paid into a system that some clearly have.

What are you doing eyeing over the W-2's of illegal aliens? Maybe you should be talking with ICE instead of me.

And whatever amount illegals have paid in, it's an insignificance pittance. It would never make up for instant access to these funds were all the illegals given amnesty.

And I didn't say beaners... you did.

Pale Rider
10-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Why would it cripple it? It would not be retroactive, they would start earning dime 1 of S.S. the minute they started paying into it.

The criminal shit........... we are just gonna have to swallow the bullet on that, you are never gonna get rid of even a small percentage of them, its just a fact, oh you hear about 20 here or a 100 there whilst a 1000 came over the same day, just grant the amnesty and move on, almost makes me hope Hillary gets elected so we get this done and over with. Its gonna happen my friend, believe that.

And no Pale, this has nothing to do with me being an immigrant, i've got 4 kids and if prices on shit go up astronomically because we had to satisfy the sovereignty needs of this country, a country which kills unborn children, bows down to faggots etc. etc. etc. and generally could give two shits less about the average Joe, and I get in a financial crunch i'm gonna be fucking pissed and then every motherfucker who fucked up the economy by booting WORKERS, PRODUCERS, is gonna pay.

As always, we agree to disagree. You think one way and I think another, and we're at opposite ends of the spectrum. That's America. But no one is ever going to convince me that amnesty is good, or that it will ever happen, which I believe it won't. The tiniest of amnesty attempts which recently was called the Dream Act failed miserably and was defeated. Why? Because millions of Americans have united against it, on website such as http://www.numbersusa.com/index and http://www.grassfire.org/. Politicians that vote for these amensty's are exposed, and they'll no doubt suffer in the next elections.

States are starting to take action as we speak. The patience of the American people is wearing very thin, as witnessed by the actions of my buddy Jim Brossard when cut down the mexican flag above the American flag recently here in Reno. Words such as secession and civil war are now being heard mentioned on the news, as I heard TONIGHT on Lou Dobbs on CNN of all places. No, I think the direction we're headed with all the illegals is they're going to be arrested, detained and deported, more and more. And employers are going to find it very hard to hire illegals and not get caught. The tits going to run dry for the illegals, and I think we'll see less and less coming when they hear there's no jobs to be had, and when they hear of more and more ICE raids and deportations.

The tide is turning brother. It's turning AGAISNT the illegals, and those who want amnesty. It appears America might find it's testicles yet.

An Amnesty By Any Other Name is Still an Amnesty

For most Americans, an illegal alien amnesty has all the political appeal of a massive tax increase. But politicians are very creative when it comes to pandering to the special interests that want amnesty for many or all of the estimated 9-11 million illegal aliens living in the U.S.

Currently, Congress is considering a number of legislative proposals that are stealth amnesty programs. One would grant legalization to people who came to this country illegally before the age of 16, and just about anyone else who could meet a very loose definition of a student. In addition to legalization, these beneficiaries would also become eligible for subsidized in-state tuition rates at public universities and colleges. There would be no limit on the number of people who could qualify for this amnesty.

For those who don't meet even the loose definition of a student, some in Congress are proposing to turn illegal aliens into "guest workers," who over time could become permanent residents. Guest workers would also have the right to bring their family members to live in this country. This program, too, would have no numerical limits.

Still another proposal would focus on agricultural workers, allowing anyone who could "prove" that he or she worked as little as 100 days in agriculture to apply for legal status in the U.S. In addition, it would allow big agricultural corporations the right to bring in a steady supply of new guest workers every year.

All of these proposals cleverly change the unpopular term "amnesty" to a much more appealing term, "earned legalization." On closer examination, however, earned legalization essentially means having gotten away with violating our immigration laws for a period of time, while not having committed any heinous crimes.

Whether they disguised as guest worker programs, or a DREAM Act for young people, or earned legalization for illegal aliens who haven't gotten into serious trouble with the law, they are still amnesty proposals.

Besides rewarding millions of people who broke the law and placing immigrants who obeyed the law at a disadvantage, individually or collectively, these amnesty proposals would:

Encourage More Illegal Immigration

Amnesties always lead to more illegal immigration, as millions more people will be encouraged to come here in the expectation that eventually they, too, will be rewarded. We granted what was supposed to be a one-time-only amnesty to some 3 million illegal aliens in 1986, only to find that today they have been replaced by an estimated 9-11 million new illegal aliens. Amnesty doesn't cure the problem; it exacerbates it.

Encourage Massive Litigation

The various amnesty proposals would be the immigration bar association's dream. Amnesty is almost guaranteed produce a glut of law suits that would choke the system and inevitably lead to rubber stamp approvals of almost every application. The sponsors of the 1986 amnesty freely admit that countless people fraudulently obtained legalization because the system simply could not be adequately policed.

Instead of amnesty what is needed is a combination of law enforcement against the illegal aliens themselves and the people who employ them, and incentives to convince many illegal aliens to leave of their own volition.

http://www.americanworker.org/amnesty_handout2.htm

Pale Rider
10-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Remember two pieces of bazooka bubble gum for a penny?

I can remember when my mother would give my older sister, brother and I all each a dime and we'd walk up to the little corner store. We'd each leave a bag full of candy. Some of it was a HALF a cent.

Classact
10-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Tell me, truthfully, who will exactly benefit from this utopian vision of illegals being booted and our sovereignty regained? Noone, not you nor I and for dam n sure not business and the American economy. Now that we have that established i'm left with only one reason why you guys could be rabid about this.........prejudice. Oh it will be argued that it has nothing to do with ethnicity but you have to admit that if you hate Latinos here is your perfect opportunity to have that hate legitimized.Prejudice means to pre-judge and I see that definition fits you. You see my wife and kids are Hispanic. So that makes you a prejudiced person by wrapping me in your neat little ball. I live in a little corner of paradise in Puerto Rico and guess what? We don't have one illegal Mexican here... we have a very large Border Patrol with air assets along with a very large US Coast Guard base with air and sea assets to guard against illegal immigration. They routinely capture illegal Haitians and Dominican Republicans and pack them up in neat little packages and ship them back to their countries. All the jobs here are filled by legal Americans.

So what was that you were saying about Blacks? What are you gonna do? Force them to go take those shitty jobs? You are gonna target them with no tax breaks? You gotta be shitting me if you ever think thats gonna happen in today's America, America breaks its ass to make sure that Blacks don't have to work for the most part.

Justifier of slavery lol...........that brush don't paint here, try another avenue of thought.The Democratic Party breaks its ass to prop up blacks and other welfare programs... I shouldn't have just stated blacks but all the welfare was originated for them and now they are popular to all races and creeds of lazy Americans. Unlike the American mainland mindset that there are just some jobs Americans wont do, here Americans are willing to grow and pick lettuce and produce milk with American workers... we pay more for lettuce and milk because our Americans need to live a reasonably good life too. Unlike the mainland we have great weather year round with temps ranging from low 65F to highs of 98F so dairy farmers don't have to store winter crops for dairy cows as in America so production costs are reduced... yet, our milk costs $4.08 a gallon and is going to be raised to meet production cost v. living rate required for American workers... Here we have Holsum sliced bread but most communities have fresh baked bread bakeries that get most of the demand for bread... the raw materials are not grown here for bread and the price is moved Island-wide to account for these costs of production. Milk and bread prices produced on the island are protected and set by the PR government however imported bread and milk from the mainland are not but shipping costs pretty much is equal in costs. I walked past iceberg lettuce priced at $3.50 a head yesterday at my supermarket because it was $1.89 a month ago... most people do until the fair market price sets a reasonable price.

You should never pre judge people because when you do it makes you dumb in public.

Seal the border and grant amnesty to illegals already here, its the only way. So, to be fair to the American people here we should demand our fair share of illegal Haitians and Dominican Republicans be allowed to remain to do the jobs that Americans are now willing to do and we should demand the closing of the very large Border Patrol with air assets along with a very large US Coast Guard base with air and sea assets? Guess why the illegal Haitians and Dominican Republicans come to PR? They come here to try to get on a plane to NY city because people like you think there should be no borders. Sing along Imagine!

April15
10-29-2007, 12:57 PM
What are you doing eyeing over the W-2's of illegal aliens? Maybe you should be talking with ICE instead of me.

And whatever amount illegals have paid in, it's an insignificance pittance. It would never make up for instant access to these funds were all the illegals given amnesty.

And I didn't say beaners... you did.ICE doesn't care! I don't think all the beaners should be allowed amnesty. It didn't bear fruit under raygoon and I doubt it would now. Best to ship them all home and start over. Anything short of that is amnesty.

Pale Rider
10-29-2007, 02:03 PM
ICE doesn't care! I don't think all the beaners should be allowed amnesty. It didn't bear fruit under raygoon and I doubt it would now. Best to ship them all home and start over. Anything short of that is amnesty.

I think ICE does care, and we'll see them being more and more active in the very near future.

I agree with all the rest you said.

JohnDoe
10-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Dude, candy bars were a nickel when I was a kid, and I don't think they had snickers until I got older. :smoke:same here and I remember when they wnt up in price, wtgrants stores offred them for 3 candy bars for a quarter as a special!

typomaniac
10-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Let's not forget that higher oil prices jack up the price of damn near everything else.

They can do their damage to our economy a lot quicker than the illegals can do theirs.

JohnDoe
10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Most Labor is only 10% of the cost of goods. Labor is a small part of the cost of food. With 100$ in food at retail price at the grocery store, which is about $50 bucks as the "cost of goods", labor costs were $5. If you DOUBLED the pay to those working, then it would be $55 bucks as the cost of goods and retail would be $110 at the grocery store for what we buy at retail. That is a 10% increase and it would not be an increase that would come over night, it would be gradual, as the the pay needs to go higher for the workers in order to get the labor. And I think I am being generous to say that it would take double the pay of a mexican in order to get americans to do the job....

Gas prices/transportation affects the price of food much greater than the workforce picking it.

Trigg
10-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Most Labor is only 10% of the cost of goods. Labor is a small part of the cost of food. With 100$ in food at retail price at the grocery store, which is about $50 bucks as the "cost of goods", labor costs were $5. If you DOUBLED the pay to those working, then it would be $55 bucks as the cost of goods and retail would be $110 at the grocery store for what we buy at retail. That is a 10% increase and it would not be an increase that would come over night, it would be gradual, as the the pay needs to go higher for the workers in order to get the labor. And I think I am being generous to say that it would take double the pay of a mexican in order to get americans to do the job....

Gas prices/transportation affects the price of food much greater than the workforce picking it.

Good points.