PDA

View Full Version : *%*@#$!!!!!

Said1
10-28-2007, 12:14 PM
I reformatted my computer last night and everything went fine. The only problem I'm having is setting my password when creating a new internet connection. I spoke with the techs, they changed it for me, it works fine with the Mac but not with the dell. The password is way too many characters and I can't get rid of it!

I'm using xp pro, any adivce would help since slitting my writs is far more preferable than calling Bell/Sympatico AGAIN!

I;m sure I worded everything wrong, so be NICe! :)

Said1
10-28-2007, 06:30 PM
The tech determined my play and plug drivers are missing??

Anyone with any other suggestions????????

diuretic
10-29-2007, 04:40 AM
On the xp pro have you tried simply deleting the current internet connection and making a new one?

Sorry if this is simplistic, I'm just going through this bit by bit.

Said1
10-29-2007, 07:21 AM
On the xp pro have you tried simply deleting the current internet connection and making a new one?

Sorry if this is simplistic, I'm just going through this bit by bit.

Yes I did. Ihave yellow question marks beside certain devices in the device manager as well! I think these are related to the plug and play and play issues I mentioned above.

diuretic
10-30-2007, 03:16 AM
Yes I did. Ihave yellow question marks beside certain devices in the device manager as well! I think these are related to the plug and play and play issues I mentioned above.

Indeed they are and that could be what your tech was advising. I had a heck of a time with XP Pro when I was running it on number one computer, but to be fair, I have a habit of fiddling with the computer - I broke it, it wasn't Windows' fault. I run Linux on number one machine but I am not an anti-MS nutcase, Windows is very good.

The XP machine I used came with two CDs with a bunch of drivers, that is they were separate from the XP CD. That's because the hardware I was using required separate drivers for various bits such as as sound, connectivity and so on.

Now it depends on your machine as to what up to date drivers you need. My XP Pro machine uses MSI drivers and I have a nifty little Live monitor in there that tells me when an update is needed or if something is missing.

So, can you describe the hardware that has the question marks?

It could just be a question of drivers to be installed. We could sort this out with a bit of luck.

Said1
10-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Indeed they are and that could be what your tech was advising. I had a heck of a time with XP Pro when I was running it on number one computer, but to be fair, I have a habit of fiddling with the computer - I broke it, it wasn't Windows' fault. I run Linux on number one machine but I am not an anti-MS nutcase, Windows is very good.

The XP machine I used came with two CDs with a bunch of drivers, that is they were separate from the XP CD. That's because the hardware I was using required separate drivers for various bits such as as sound, connectivity and so on.

Now it depends on your machine as to what up to date drivers you need. My XP Pro machine uses MSI drivers and I have a nifty little Live monitor in there that tells me when an update is needed or if something is missing.

So, can you describe the hardware that has the question marks?

It could just be a question of drivers to be installed. We could sort this out with a bit of luck.

I forget. I know was definetly the VGA or something to that effect. I have another copy of windows xp, perhaps that might help. I actually had this problem with the last reformat but was able to get back on-line anyway. I forget how it was done, but the bell tech helped me do it - something about using usb cable insteado f ethernet. damn, I forget!!

I'll get back to you with the driver info. Thanks for replying!

Said1
10-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Solved the problem myself. Thanks all for your wonderfull suggestions! :laugh2:

diuretic
11-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Well.....................? :coffee:

Come one, need to know here :laugh2: