PDA

View Full Version : "Gay gene" study: Results won't matter, say some

Abbey Marie
10-28-2007, 03:09 PM
I think it is good that this study is being done. But as the article claims, even if there is a gay gene, does it mean people do not have a choice in their sexual practices?

'Gay Gene?' No Big Deal, Says Ex-Gay
By Lillian Kwon
Christian Post Reporter
Tue, Oct. 23 2007 06:25 PM ET

Even if science does prove that a "gay gene" exists, one ex-gay says it doesn't change anything for him.

Randy Thomas – executive vice president of Exodus International, one of the world's largest outreaches to those affected by unwanted homosexual attraction – has been free from same-sex desires for some 15 years.

He said he was once an out-and-proud gay man who was fully supportive of gay socio/political goals but has now embraced a healthy heterosexual approach to relationships.

"If they prove that a 'gay gene' exists in my DNA, why then aren't those genes controlling my life now?" Thomas posed in a column on WorldNetDaily.

New research is being conducted at Northwestern University in Chicago in a search for genetic clues to the origins of homosexuality. The federally-funded study, reported to be the largest study to date seeking genes that may influence whether people are gay, will rely on blood or saliva samples of 1,000 pairs of gay brothers.

Lead researcher Dr. Alan Sanders of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute believes it is more likely there are several genes along with nongenetic factors that influence sexual orientation rather than one "gay gene."

But "if there's one gene that makes a sizable contribution, we have a pretty good chance" of finding it, said Sanders, according to The Associated Press.

And if no genetic markers are found, Sanders says that won't mean genetics play no role but that it may mean individual genes have a smaller effect.

Alan Chambers, president of Exodus International and a former homosexual, said even if genetics are found to play a bigger role, it "will never be something that forces people to behave a certain way," according to AP.

"We all have the freedom to choose," said Chambers.

For Thomas, homosexuality is also a choice. He says if a "gay gene" is discovered, it "did not impede my ability to pursue such a dramatic change" from homosexuality to a heterosexuality.

"The truth is that we all have the freedom to make decisions about our sexual behavior," he said. "I've chosen to live in congruence with my faith."

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20071023/29809_%5C%27Gay_Gene%3F%5C%27_No_Big_Deal%2C_Says_ Ex-Gay.htm

actsnoblemartin
10-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I think we should know if it is caused by a gene

OCA
10-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Yep, even if by some miracle a queer gene is found it does not mean that you must engage in that vile behavior. If they found a pedophilic gene does that mean you have no choice but to fuck kids?

Dilloduck
10-28-2007, 03:21 PM
I think we should know if it is caused by a gene

Why?

OCA
10-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Why?

Marty just wanted to post something.

actsnoblemartin
10-28-2007, 03:26 PM
because, doesnt the true matter to you?

Why?

OCA
10-28-2007, 03:27 PM
because, doesnt the true matter to you?

Ok Marty if a queer gene is found do you still think its ok for a guy to suck another guy's cock?

REDWHITEBLUE2
10-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Yep, even if by some miracle a queer gene is found it does not mean that you must engage in that vile behavior. If they found a pedophilic gene does that mean you have no choice but to fuck kids? it does to liberal's

10-28-2007, 05:11 PM
The idea that something is natural or someone might be predisposed to certain things does not at all make it right or wrong.

Some people are predisposed to anger. To be intolerant. to hate. to be violent. to be dishonest. to abuse. These are all perfectly natural acts and feelings. that doesnt mean they are right.

This is why the Gospel teaches that man must be born again. That our very natures must be changed by the Atonement of Jesus Christ so that we no longer have any desire to do evil.

Missileman
10-28-2007, 06:28 PM
That our very natures must be changed by the Atonement of Jesus Christ so that we no longer have any desire to do evil.

It doesn't seem to keep Christians from stealing, killing, doing drugs, having affairs, molesting children, etc. What makes you think it'll work any better keeping homosexuals from following their desires?

10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
It doesn't seem to keep Christians from stealing, killing, doing drugs, having affairs, molesting children, etc. What makes you think it'll work any better keeping homosexuals from following their desires?

The misbehavior of those who profess Christianity does not negate the truthfulness nor the power of the Gospel in changing lives.

Yurt
10-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Yep, even if by some miracle a queer gene is found it does not mean that you must engage in that vile behavior. If they found a pedophilic gene does that mean you have no choice but to fuck kids?

What is it that people miss about this? You want to condone a behavior that you, you, you, approve of, and make the rest of us accept.

If you don't approve of the opposition, where then is your authority?

Pale Rider
10-29-2007, 01:54 AM
My two cents... they won't find one. Little boys thinking they want to be little girls is a mental illness, nothing more. There's no fag gene.

-Cp
10-29-2007, 03:43 AM
Ok Marty if a queer gene is found do you still think its ok for a guy to suck another guy's cock?

Do you always have to be so vulgar? lol

Everytime I see you post I imagine you as one of these two - Statler and Waldorf:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg

A grumpy old-man...:P

I hope it is a gene so they can annihilate it...

bullypulpit
10-30-2007, 10:13 AM
I think it is good that this study is being done. But as the article claims, even if there is a gay gene, does it mean people do not have a choice in their sexual practices?

'Gay Gene?' No Big Deal, Says Ex-Gay
By Lillian Kwon
Christian Post Reporter
Tue, Oct. 23 2007 06:25 PM ET

Even if science does prove that a "gay gene" exists, one ex-gay says it doesn't change anything for him.

Randy Thomas – executive vice president of Exodus International, one of the world's largest outreaches to those affected by unwanted homosexual attraction – has been free from same-sex desires for some 15 years.

He said he was once an out-and-proud gay man who was fully supportive of gay socio/political goals but has now embraced a healthy heterosexual approach to relationships.

"If they prove that a 'gay gene' exists in my DNA, why then aren't those genes controlling my life now?" Thomas posed in a column on WorldNetDaily.

New research is being conducted at Northwestern University in Chicago in a search for genetic clues to the origins of homosexuality. The federally-funded study, reported to be the largest study to date seeking genes that may influence whether people are gay, will rely on blood or saliva samples of 1,000 pairs of gay brothers.

Lead researcher Dr. Alan Sanders of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute believes it is more likely there are several genes along with nongenetic factors that influence sexual orientation rather than one "gay gene."

But "if there's one gene that makes a sizable contribution, we have a pretty good chance" of finding it, said Sanders, according to The Associated Press.

And if no genetic markers are found, Sanders says that won't mean genetics play no role but that it may mean individual genes have a smaller effect.

Alan Chambers, president of Exodus International and a former homosexual, said even if genetics are found to play a bigger role, it "will never be something that forces people to behave a certain way," according to AP.

"We all have the freedom to choose," said Chambers.

For Thomas, homosexuality is also a choice. He says if a "gay gene" is discovered, it "did not impede my ability to pursue such a dramatic change" from homosexuality to a heterosexuality.

"The truth is that we all have the freedom to make decisions about our sexual behavior," he said. "I've chosen to live in congruence with my faith."

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20071023/29809_%5C%27Gay_Gene%3F%5C%27_No_Big_Deal%2C_Says_ Ex-Gay.htm

We only have his word that he has been "free" from those nasty desires. But more to the point, why do you, or anyone else for that matter, care? Homosexuality has been a part of human culture for millenia, and it will continue to be. In some societies it is accepted as a "third sex", while in others it is frowned upon with attempts made to repress it. All current evidence indicates that sexual orientation is a synergistic effect of genetics, in utero factors and environmental factors.

Now, the question going begging here, is "What happens if they discover a gene or group of genes responsible for homosexual behavior?" Do those who find homosexuality objectionable finally accept it as part of "God's plan"? Or do they try to find a "cure"? Or perhaps they would like to see all those carrying such genes subjected to mandatory sterilization to remove it, eventually, from the human genome?

As for "ex" homosexuals, it should be noted that Exodus co-founders Michael Bussee and Gary Cooper ran off with each other.

bullypulpit
10-30-2007, 10:15 AM
My two cents... they won't find one. <b><i>Little boys thinking they want to be little girls is a mental illness</i></b>, nothing more. There's no fag gene.

Can you provide ANY credible, independent sources to support your assertions?

Pale Rider
10-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Can you provide ANY credible, independent sources to support your assertions?

"Nature."

JackDaniels
10-30-2007, 01:06 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

JackDaniels
10-30-2007, 01:10 PM
My two cents... they won't find one. Little boys thinking they want to be little girls is a mental illness, nothing more. There's no fag gene.

I have a male cousin, who as a child, used to dress up in dresses and such all the time...He grew up, never gave a second thought to his sexuality, and is straight as an arrow. It's not a "mental illness".

glockmail
10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
It keeps 99% or so in line. Isn't that enough?

bullypulpit
10-30-2007, 02:24 PM
"Nature."

Oh, now that IS rich.

<blockquote>Homosexual (as well as bisexual) behavior is widespread in the animal kingdom. Animal sexual behavior takes many different forms, even within the same species and the motivations for and implications of their behaviors have yet to be fully understood. A 1999 review by researcher Bruce Bagemihl shows that homosexual behavior, not necessarily sex, has been observed in close to 1500 species, ranging from primates to gut worms, and is well documented for 500 of them. - <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_animals>Wikipedia</a></blockquote>

<blockquote> In reality, many species engage in homosexual behaviours as well. However, animals which engage in sexual interactions with members of their own sex are obviously not in immediate pursuit of reproductive goals (that is, conception). - <a href=https://www.cup.cam.ac.uk/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521864466&ss=exc>Cambridge University Press<a/></blockquote>

You "nature" argument fails...miserably.