PDA

View Full Version : Do a majority of Americans demand strict immigration policy?

Classact
10-29-2007, 09:25 PM
I’m a pro border security/enforcement of immigration laws conservative. And, as a result a couple of days ago I received an email from Roy Beck of NumbersUSA.org. Numbers is the primary group responsible for shutting down the congressional switchboard during attempts to pass the so called amnesty immigration bill and shut down votes on the Dream Act several times. But this most recent email was in support of a Blue Dog Democratic congressperson that is planning to sponsor legislation for strict enforcement (This is a clip from the email)

North Carolina Democratic Representative Heath Shuler will soon be introducing a great immigration enforcement bill:

The SAVE ACT (Secure America with Verification and Enforcement)

This bill (it will have no bill number until introduced) is far more than a gesture to show that Shuler is on the side of the American workers.

Congressman Shuler appears to be deadly serious about getting this bill enacted and removing the jobs magnet for illegal immigration. He is moving the ball on this bill a whole lot better than he did as an NFL quarterback, completing passes to fellow Representatives every day as he gets their signature as co-sponsors on the floor of the House.
I did some web searches to get some background of the House leadership position and how many other democrats support strict immigration enforcement. Below are the links I selected to support this debate.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitol-briefing/2007/06/immigration_three_up_in_the_ho.html
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/11/24/democrats_clash_on_immigration_policy/
http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2006/11/congressional-winners-on-immigration.html
From pro immigration legislation introduced/supported in the House and Senate I was quite surprised that there was a significant number of Democrats supporting strict enforcement and border security.

I have several Democratic Party relatives that often send me emails reflecting my view of strong border and employment enforcement first before considering resolving the existing millions of illegal aliens now living in America.
Many Americans think immigration is one of the top issues according to

CSPAN daily shows where citizens call in so I began to wonder what if’s. What if NumbersUSA or other outspoken group brings this subject to the forefront of presidential debate? If they demand Democratic leadership address the Blue Dog concerns will leadership have to choose the worse of two evils?

Questions for Debate:
If Democratic leadership refuses to support the conservative Blue Dog Democrats could these seats go to Republicans in 08?

Can a Democratic candidate be elected if they move to the left and divorce their conservative Blue Dogs to fail in 08?

Could weak on immigration or pro amnesty position sway enough Independent voters to give the Whitehouse and Congress back to the Republican Party in 08?

Hugh Lincoln
10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Depends on whether Iraq pisses people off more.

Basically, it seems more Americans want immigration crackdown.

And less Iraq.

But since this combo doesn't fit 'R' or 'D', that makes for weird doings.

manu1959
10-30-2007, 09:44 PM
people that break into my country should be treated the same as those that break into my house.....

actsnoblemartin
10-30-2007, 09:55 PM
exactly

people that break into my country should be treated the same as those that break into my house.....

Classact
10-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Depends on whether Iraq pisses people off more.This is one of my thoughts also, yet if we look at the Democratic Party's leading candidate for president the Iraq issue seems to remain open with no intention to leave Iraq in, if elected she wins. So when one compares the two opponets a new issue will have to be addressed and I would guess Hillary will desire Healthcare but that could go on back burner as more and more attention is brought to illegal immigration. People are angry about health insurance cost but they are really pissed about illegal immigration.

Basically, it seems more Americans want immigration crackdown.This is why I think a Republican could make this the key issue to divede the Democratic voters.

And less Iraq.

But since this combo doesn't fit 'R' or 'D', that makes for weird doings. Like I said neither party is offering less Iraq... It doesn't match some candidates but it could totally divide the Democratic Party.

Pale Rider
10-31-2007, 12:59 PM
I already posted this email from NumberUSA. http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=8312

theHawk
10-31-2007, 02:07 PM
I’m a pro border security/enforcement of immigration laws conservative. And, as a result a couple of days ago I received an email from Roy Beck of NumbersUSA.org. Numbers is the primary group responsible for shutting down the congressional switchboard during attempts to pass the so called amnesty immigration bill and shut down votes on the Dream Act several times. But this most recent email was in support of a Blue Dog Democratic congressperson that is planning to sponsor legislation for strict enforcement (This is a clip from the email)

I did some web searches to get some background of the House leadership position and how many other democrats support strict immigration enforcement. Below are the links I selected to support this debate.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitol-briefing/2007/06/immigration_three_up_in_the_ho.html
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/11/24/democrats_clash_on_immigration_policy/
http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2006/11/congressional-winners-on-immigration.html
From pro immigration legislation introduced/supported in the House and Senate I was quite surprised that there was a significant number of Democrats supporting strict enforcement and border security.

I have several Democratic Party relatives that often send me emails reflecting my view of strong border and employment enforcement first before considering resolving the existing millions of illegal aliens now living in America.
Many Americans think immigration is one of the top issues according to

CSPAN daily shows where citizens call in so I began to wonder what if’s. What if NumbersUSA or other outspoken group brings this subject to the forefront of presidential debate? If they demand Democratic leadership address the Blue Dog concerns will leadership have to choose the worse of two evils?

Questions for Debate:
If Democratic leadership refuses to support the conservative Blue Dog Democrats could these seats go to Republicans in 08?

Can a Democratic candidate be elected if they move to the left and divorce their conservative Blue Dogs to fail in 08?

Could weak on immigration or pro amnesty position sway enough Independent voters to give the Whitehouse and Congress back to the Republican Party in 08?

Yes, Americans do want strict immigration policy. The only reason any Dems will pass a bill like that is because their hand is being forced by the large amounts of angry people in their districts. Otherwise if they had their way, they'd prefer to keep the borders open and give each illegal a drivers license, which in turn opens the door for large scale voter/election fraud, which works in their favor. Much like what the governor of NY is trying.

GW in Ohio
10-31-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't know what you mean by a "strict immigration policy." I want these things in an immigration policy:

Close off the border. Build a fence. Have the National Guard patrol the border, whatever. Do what you have to do to shut off the flow of illegals.
Offer those who are already here a path to citizenship.
If they don't take it, and they get caught here, they go to jail.
Beef up the penalties for employers who hire illegals.....hefty fines and jail time.

gabosaurus
10-31-2007, 07:04 PM
I believe the majority of Americans DO want a strict immigration policy. Even a lot of Mexicans who are here legally want it.
Unfortunately, the majority of politicians prefer to pander to extremist groups. Getting (or remaining) elected is more important to then that national security.

actsnoblemartin
10-31-2007, 08:26 PM
yes they do, the vast majority do.