PDA

View Full Version : Hunting License Requirements in YOUR state?

darin
10-30-2007, 11:03 AM
In my (cough)liberal commie pinko(cough) state the requirements are weird.

Either I take a multi-day 16 hour course which includes classroom instruction, practical exercises and live-firing activities - or Home study. These classes are not offered later than the end of September, and one signs up months in advance.

Now...to Home Study - lookit this crap.

Online Test.
Affidavit for online Test.
otarized Rifle proficiency - Basically you bring a notary out to a range and he notarizes your target.
Notarized Shotgun proficiency - same as above
Range Visit Report - Visit an area range and write at least a two-page report—with a minimum of four photographs—which describes the range, how the range promotes firearm safety through the use of signs, range layout, training, etc.

And two of the three:

Work Project: Contribute a minimum of 4 hours of project service in a habitat, wildlife, or landowner relations project of your choosing. The Department of Fish and Wildlife does not develop or coordinate work projects for home study students.
Essay Project: Read Beyond Fair Chase by Jim Posewitz (ISBN 1560442832) and answer any two of the five essay questions below. The Department of Fish and Wildlife does not loan or sell copies of Beyond Fair Chase and home study students are required to obtain a copy from their local library or purchase one from a commercial vendor.

Question 1: President Theodore Roosevelt was a staunch advocate of "fair chase." What was he advocating?
Question 2: Compare and contrast "legal" hunting with "ethical" hunting.
Question 3: How will you measure your "success" as a hunter?
Question 4: Describe the differences between an ethical hunter and an unethical hunter.
Question 5: What type of individual do you want for a hunting mentor?

Test Questions Project: Write a minimum of 25 original test questions and answers on the material you have studied.

All that so a brother can hunt a couple ducks. Or a Deer.

Stupid. Of course, if you were born BEFORE 1 Jan 1972, you were born with innate hunting skillz and are in NO SUCH NEED of ANY OF THAT...just State-issued ID. Just I.D.

(sigh).

BoogyMan
10-30-2007, 11:08 AM
EGADS dmp. I thought Texas had some odd requirements, but after reading that mess I won't be complaining about the Texas requirements any longer.

Come down here and go hunting with me! :D Even out of state licenses are easy to get in TX, a bit pricey though.

darin
10-30-2007, 11:10 AM
One GOOD hunting policy my state has - 30% disabled Vets get 50% off EVERYTHING. :)

Mr. P
10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
One GOOD hunting policy my state has - 30% disabled Vets get 50% off EVERYTHING. :)

It's gotten stupid here too..

Our plus is any vet can get a free drivers license, no disability requirement.

Trigg
10-30-2007, 12:14 PM

Either I take a multi-day 16 hour course which includes classroom instruction, practical exercises and live-firing activities - or Home study. These classes are not offered later than the end of September, and one signs up months in advance.

Online Test.
otarized Rifle proficiency - Basically you bring a notary out to a range and he notarizes your target.
Range Visit Report - Visit an area range and write at least a two-page report—with a minimum of four photographs—which describes the range, how the range promotes firearm safety through the use of signs, range layout, training, etc.

And two of the three:

Work Project: Contribute a minimum of 4 hours of project service in a habitat, wildlife, or landowner relations project of your choosing. The Department of Fish and Wildlife does not develop or coordinate work projects for home study students.
Essay Project: Read Beyond Fair Chase by Jim Posewitz (ISBN 1560442832) and answer any two of the five essay questions below. The Department of Fish and Wildlife does not loan or sell copies of Beyond Fair Chase and home study students are required to obtain a copy from their local library or purchase one from a commercial vendor.

Question 1: President Theodore Roosevelt was a staunch advocate of "fair chase." What was he advocating?
Question 4: Describe the differences between an ethical hunter and an unethical hunter.

Test Questions Project: Write a minimum of 25 original test questions and answers on the material you have studied.

Stupid. Of course, if you were born BEFORE 1 Jan 1972, you were born with innate hunting skillz and are in NO SUCH NEED of ANY OF THAT...just State-issued ID. Just I.D.

(sigh).

I was curious if there were any special requirements in Indiana. NOPE.

Only a hunter education class on-line if you were born after 1986, you have to promise not to have help with the test.

Monkeybone
10-30-2007, 12:48 PM
i walk in, say i want a license's, pay my dues and go kill something. hahaha. i am in Indiana with Trigg, and thankfully i missed the required age for Hunter Safety, but i have it anyways

darin
10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Get this -

to get concealed weapons permit I fill out a form and pay $60. That's to shoot PEOPLE if need be.

Yet to shoot animals? All that crap.

Monkeybone
10-30-2007, 01:53 PM
some of those things are conservation D. they don't want ppl trophy hunting for big bucks and then just harvesting the antlers while leaving the body, or randomly shooting. they want smart hunters. which...even with that you still get some Re-Re's. carrying a concealed/shooting a person is kinda dif from hunting to brag and hunting for meat. atleast to some

darin
11-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Got my course cert. last night.

We did some introduction, then took the test. I scored 94% - it was about 95% of the stuff I'd seen on the online practice test; which changes the questions each time. After the testing, we talked about the material we just tested on. When we were done jaw-jackin', we, 5 at a time, handled a few rifles/shotguns in front of the class and described it's action, it's caliber/gauge, how to cycle the weapon, and how it's safety operated.

Then...we were done.

Going to get my license today, along w/ my bird stamps.

Pale Rider
11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Got my course cert. last night.

We did some introduction, then took the test. I scored 94% - it was about 95% of the stuff I'd seen on the online practice test; which changes the questions each time. After the testing, we talked about the material we just tested on. When we were done jaw-jackin', we, 5 at a time, handled a few rifles/shotguns in front of the class and described it's action, it's caliber/gauge, how to cycle the weapon, and how it's safety operated.

Then...we were done.

Going to get my license today, along w/ my bird stamps.

What a crock of shit D. When the game population gets out of hand and people start dying because they're running into elk, and people living next to and into wilderness areas are being harassed or even attacked by bears, cougars and the like, what are they going to do then? Rescind all the bull shit? Stupid freaking liberals. There ought to be a season on them.

Nevada Hunting License Requirements:

Hunter Education Requirements

(NRS 502.330) Persons born after January 1, 1960, must take a hunter education course before obtaining a hunting license.

Hagbard Celine
11-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Other than the minor inconvenience, what's wrong with the state requiring competency from people who want to tromp around in the woods with loaded weapons? Here in GA I had to take a hunter safety course once and pass a safety test. Other than that, my big game license only costs $9. It's pretty sweet.

glockmail
11-05-2007, 02:43 PM
In my (cough)liberal commie pinko(cough) state the requirements are weird..... That's because the really wackos who coudn't take "the establishment" in California moved up to Washington to "tune out", and then made your state into pinko-commie land.

Last time I checked, here in the great state of NC, all you need to do is walk into your local Wal-Mart or Worms-R-Us, plunk down a 10, show some ID and you're done. If you want, buy a new gun and some ammo on the way out. Just wait until you're out past the check-out to load up.

johnney
01-24-2009, 09:05 AM

Online Test.

And two of the three:

(sigh).

what? no blood urine and stool sample?
i just had to kind of show upand ask for a hunting license.
when i lived in iowa it was the same thing, but now i have permanent license in noth states so all i am responsible for are the stamps