PDA

View Full Version : What makes a member an asset to the board?

Abbey Marie
10-30-2007, 02:53 PM
I am curious to see how people answer this question.

I think it requires:
1. Intelligence
2. Decent writing skills- are the posts intelligible, logical?
3. Posting in many areas of the board; not just politics or just religion. Not just the lower half, either.
4. Integrity, decency.
5. A sense of humor
6. The ability to apologize if warranted.
7. Posting fairly regularly for a sense of community.
8. Being responsive to others, i.e., usually answering a question posed to you in a thread.

Are any of these off-base? What would you add?

glockmail
10-30-2007, 03:07 PM
I think you've pretty much summarized it nicely.

Abbey Marie
10-30-2007, 03:08 PM
I think you've pretty much summarized it nicely.

Thanks. Which two or three do you think are most important, then?

glockmail
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks. Which two or three do you think are most important, then? 4 and 5b.

The only improvement to your list that I can suggest is that 5a and b are unrelated and therefore should be separate numbers. But being nit-picky ain't an assest!

Pale Rider
10-30-2007, 03:18 PM
8. Did you donate?

Trigg
10-30-2007, 03:20 PM

I think it requires:
1. Intelligence
3. Posting in many areas of the board; not just politics or just religion. Not just the lower half, either.
4. Integrity, decency.
5. A sense of humor, and the ability to apologize if warranted.
6. Posting fairly regularly for a sense of community.
7. Being responsive to others, i.e., usually answering a question posed to you in a thread.

I could add

1. admitting when your wrong
2. not being so stuck in your ideals that an intelligent argument can't change your mind.

Abbey Marie
10-30-2007, 03:21 PM
4 and 5b.

The only improvement to your list that I can suggest is that 5a and b are unrelated and therefore should be separate numbers. But being nit-picky ain't an assest!

Good point. I went back and separated them, so now yours are 4 & 6.

hjmick
10-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree with Glock, your list sums up quite nicely what makes a good member. I might add civility to the list, but that's just me. Respect is a good addition, especially when confronted with an opposing point of view.

Pale Rider
10-30-2007, 03:34 PM
8. Did you donate?

OK... so... donating DOESN'T make you a good board asset. :dunno:

Abbey Marie
10-30-2007, 03:38 PM
OK... so... donating DOESN'T make you a good board asset. :dunno:

Not sure what you wanted me to do with this? I think it is a good thing, but I would say that it doesn't necessarily mean someone is an asset. Some people donate but aren't so good on other qualities. But Jim might say it does. :coffee:

Pale Rider
10-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Not sure what you wanted me to do with this? I think it is a good thing, but I would say that it doesn't necessarily mean someone is an asset. some people donate but aren't so good on other qualities. But Jim might say it does. :coffee:

Let's leave it up to popular opinion... :salute:

Guernicaa
10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
8. Did you donate?
Thats not a good one.

Sir Evil
10-30-2007, 08:37 PM

I think it requires:
1. Intelligence
4. Integrity, decency.
5. A sense of humor
8. Being responsive to others, i.e., usually answering a question posed to you in a thread.

Bigger question is what would make this board an asset to the members.

Jon
10-30-2007, 08:38 PM

I think it requires:

Hmpf. I guess I'm not an asset. :(

;)

Kathianne
10-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Bigger question is what would make this board an asset to the members.

Thanks for the foot-in-the-door. The old board is in death throes, there are reasons. What I think make up a good forum are the old ways:

1. Topics that are current or strike a cord across time.
2. Civility in how one addresses others. There is a lack of flaming, what there is, is acknowledged as such and addressed as the detritus it is.
3. Basically there is an understanding that we are all here to converse and educate one another.

Sir Evil
10-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the foot-in-the-door. The old board is in death throes, there are reasons. What I think make up a good forum are the old ways:

1. Topics that are current or strike a cord across time.
2. Civility in how one addresses others. There is a lack of flaming, what there is, is acknowledged as such and addressed as the detritus it is.
3. Basically there is an understanding that we are all here to converse and educate one another.

I dunno how much of that existed in the old days but it was certainly closer then anything this place represents.

yeah, I am about to disappear again. :laugh2:

Kathianne
10-30-2007, 08:50 PM
I dunno how much of that existed in the old days but it was certainly closer then anything this place represents.

I hear you, though I don't understand the 'disappearing', seems you could stick around for hit and leaves?:dance:

jimnyc
10-30-2007, 08:51 PM

I recommend that anyone that doesn't approve of what this place represents, go an find themselves another board that satisfies what they're looking for. But I'm not going to have people here trying to muck up threads just for the sake of flaming one another and trying to get others banned. What Kathianne mentioned IS HERE, but half of the good debates get quickly ruined by people that have no interest in debate but prefer to attack one another.

Sir Evil
10-30-2007, 08:54 PM
I hear you, though I don't understand the 'disappearing', seems you could stick around for hit and leaves?:dance:

What, and reduce myself to the level of the average leftist poster here? lol, I already do that by just showing up to throw some flames. :D

Pale Rider
10-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Thats not a good one.

What a shocker... seeing you're not on the list.

dan
10-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Hmpf. I guess I'm not an asset. :(

;)

Me neither!

JohnDoe
10-31-2007, 01:36 PM

I think it requires:
1. Intelligence
4. Integrity, decency.
5. A sense of humor

I will take the Liberal view on this... I think everyone is an asset to the board if they just be themselves, the people they would be if you met them in person, when debating on this site.

Some may be good debaters and some may be weak debaters, some may be both on different topics....it doesn't matter to me as long as everyone treats eachother as they would face to face....

everyone has their own assets, though completely different from the next guy or gal....

Posting fairly regularly would be one that I think would be required to be an asset of any kind!!!! :)

I don't want to talk to a bunch of people that all act the same and talk the same or clones of eachother because of some strict rules used or a narrow definition of what might be considered an asset or anything like this... I want people to be themselves and if cursing is a part of it or if wit is a part of it or if being a crybaby is part of it or if cutting and pasting is a part of it or being sarcastic is part of it then "let it fly" as far as I am concerned! Then everyone's so called "assets" can be seen in true light! LOL

I don't think a person posting in a wide spread of categories is necessarily a requirement to be an asset to this board....not posting in a category that does not interest you shows a person's true personality of interests in life and every should be different...

also as the saying goes, that could lead to someone pretending to be a "jack of all Trades" but in the end being a "Master of none"....or boring when participating in a category that they really have no interest in, ya know?

I can say one thing, I don't think all of us will see each individual in the same manner of "asset-ism"...lol, (jd's invented word).... I think I may see you as an asset to the board because of your generally calm, cool and collective manner in handling things as a mod, let's say. While someone else may want you to be more knee jerkish and ban people immediately for a mistake or just for the heck of it, and think that you are too easy and calm...therefore not an asset to them. Or a poster may be viewed as an asset to me that would not be considered an asset to this board by someone with differing posting style or someone that is on the opposite side of the fence.

and as far as how well someone posts... I think some of the "one liners" posted on these threads can be the most effective or even the most informative or even the funniest! I don't think length or spelling or any of that "eliminates someone" from being an asset in another manner....like with their wit....Diuretic comes to mind, and Manu1959 at times and Dillo sometimes and LiberalNation and Gabby and MrP in general are not long winded....

anyway, those are just some of my thoughts on this....

:)

jd

gabosaurus
10-31-2007, 06:53 PM
5. A sense of humor

Unfortunately, these two qualities are in rather short supply on this board. Not many here have a valid sense of humor. Especially concerning topics and issues close to them.
This makes Clinton jokes funny, but the same jokes about Bush not funny. And I don't see many apologies. Just reasons why no apology is necessary.

I want posters to present actual valid points. I very rarely agree with Pale, Mr. P, OCA or Sir Evil, but at least they bring up good points. And they are not merely parroting extreme right wing web sites like Stephanie and RSR.

I consider the ability to present the opinions of both sides to be the most important asset of a message board. Unfortunately, too many of you only want one side presented -- your side.

Said1
10-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Unfortunately, these two qualities are in rather short supply on this board. Not many here have a valid sense of humor. Especially concerning topics and issues close to them.
This makes Clinton jokes funny, but the same jokes about Bush not funny. And I don't see many apologies. Just reasons why no apology is necessary.

I want posters to present actual valid points. I very rarely agree with Pale, Mr. P, OCA or Sir Evil, but at least they bring up good points. And they are not merely parroting extreme right wing web sites like Stephanie and RSR.

I consider the ability to present the opinions of both sides to be the most important asset of a message board. Unfortunately, too many of you only want one side presented -- your side.

And what do you bring to the board?

gabosaurus
10-31-2007, 07:21 PM
I bring the ever-so-rare opposing point of view. The information you don't want to read and points that you don't want to acknowledge. I present the items that you would prefer to have or remain censored.
Plus, I am not afraid to call you out on your extremist right-wing bullshit. Patriotism is in the eyes of the beholder. And I am a different beholder.

Said1
10-31-2007, 07:27 PM
I bring the ever-so-rare opposing point of view. The information you don't want to read and points that you don't want to acknowledge. I present the items that you would prefer to have or remain censored.
Plus, I am not afraid to call you out on your extremist right-wing bullshit. Patriotism is in the eyes of the beholder. And I am a different beholder.

WHen you talk about extremist right-wing bullshit, that's a generalization, right?

Plus, I haven't seen you offer very much....nothing more than what you consider funny - which is often inappropriate, moreso than the sucky bullshit YOU (yes, I mean YOU) complain about reading here.

I don't have a problem with what you post, not in the least. What I do not like about you is your intentional immaturity - which often comes off as arrogance and intolerance - not witty and sassy. But I'm sure you know that as it's all a part of your internet persona, right? You're probably an old bag, trapped in an iron lung. It would explain why you always have sex on your mind. :laugh2:

mrg666
10-31-2007, 07:27 PM
i think the "copy and pasters " play a good part here they start some good threads going .

hjmick
10-31-2007, 07:29 PM

WHen you talk about extremist right-wing bullshit, that's a generalization, right?

Plus, I haven't seen you offer very much....nothing more than what you consider funny - which is often inappropriate, moreso than the sucky bullshit YOU (yes, I mean YOU) complain about reading here.

I don't have a problem with what you post, not in the least. What I do not like about you is your intentional immaturity - which often comes off as arrogance and intolerance - not witty and sassy. But I'm sure you know that as it's all a part of your internet persona, right? You're probably an old bag, trapped in an iron lung. It would explain why you always have sex on your mind. :laugh2:

:popcorn:

Sir Evil
10-31-2007, 08:30 PM
I recommend that anyone that doesn't approve of what this place represents, go an find themselves another board that satisfies what they're looking for. But I'm not going to have people here trying to muck up threads just for the sake of flaming one another and trying to get others banned. What Kathianne mentioned IS HERE, but half of the good debates get quickly ruined by people that have no interest in debate but prefer to attack one another.

:lol:

Well pehaps there would'nt be so much of that if that if things were handled properly. One person makes a simple mistake or hardly breaks the rules and finds themselve with a 24-48 hr. ban or more, yet another person can constantly throw the flames without consequence. Likely nobody else is going to question it but could care less what the result of my opinion will get me.
http://i17.tinypic.com/68id07l.gif

OCA
10-31-2007, 08:32 PM

Well pehaps there would'nt be so much of that if that if things were handled properly. One person makes a simple mistake or hardly breaks the rules and finds themselve with a 24-48 hr. ban or more, yet another person can constantly throw the flames without consequence. Likely nobody else is going to question it but could care less what the result of my opinion will get me.

Would you be referring to me Johnny? I had my ban.

Sir Evil
10-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Would you be referring to me Johnny? I had my ban.

:laugh2:

Nah, you are the exception to the rule.

jimnyc
10-31-2007, 08:43 PM

Things are handled just fine. And those that don't like the way we handle things here are free to leave.

OCA
10-31-2007, 08:45 PM
:laugh2:

Nah, you are the exception to the rule.

Ok now that we have that established carry on!:laugh2:

Sir Evil
10-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Things are handled just fine. And those that don't like the way we handle things here are free to leave.
Yeah ok! I get the hint......

Abbey Marie
11-01-2007, 09:46 AM
I should have known the thread would tun into yet another pissing match. Please forget that I asked.

gabosaurus
11-01-2007, 01:48 PM
I should have known the thread would tun into yet another pissing match. Please forget that I asked.

What did you expect Abbey? You can make a thread about a child dressing up as the devil, and DP will turn it into a debate about Hillary. :lmao:

dan
11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
What did you expect Abbey? You can make a thread about a child dressing up as the devil, and DP will turn it into a debate about Hillary. :lmao:

Or you could take a thread about the owner's son dressing up as a stormtrooper and make it about Iraq:

http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=147534&postcount=6

:rolleyes:

manu1959
11-01-2007, 03:41 PM

I bring the ever-so-rare opposing point of view to you. The information you don't want to read and points that you don't want to acknowledge. I present the items that you would prefer to have or remain censored.
Plus, I am not afraid to call you out on your extremist left-wing bullshit. Patriotism is in the eyes of the beholder. And I am a different beholder.

darin
11-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Or you could take a thread about the owner's son dressing up as a stormtrooper and make it about Iraq:

http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=147534&postcount=6

:rolleyes:

Her strategy when called on her bs-replies: Dodge, dip, dive, duck, and dodge.

hjmick
11-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Her strategy when called on her bs-replies: Dodge, dip, dive, duck, and dodge.

She's Hillary?! :eek: