PDA

View Full Version : Search and Avoid

Joe Steel
11-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Here's a bit of perspective on the lower level of casualties in Iraq.

WATERTOWN, New York, Oct 24 (IPS) - Iraq war veterans now stationed at a base here say that morale among U.S. soldiers in the country is so poor, many are simply parking their Humvees and pretending to be on patrol, a practice dubbed "search and avoid" missions.

Phil Aliff is an active duty soldier with the 10th Mountain Division stationed at Fort Drum in upstate New York. He served nearly one year in Iraq from August 2005 to July 2006, in the areas of Abu Ghraib and Fallujah, both west of Baghdad.

"Morale was incredibly low," said Aliff, ...

Aliff said he participated in roughly 300 patrols. "We were hit by so many roadside bombs we became incredibly demoralised, so we decided the only way we wouldn't be blown up was to avoid driving around all the time."

"So we would go find an open field and park, and call our base every hour to tell them we were searching for weapons caches in the fields and doing weapons patrols and everything was going fine," he said, adding, "All our enlisted people became very disenchanted with our chain of command."

US-IRAQ: Ill-Equipped Soldiers Opt for "Search and Avoid" (http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=39788)

Nukeman
11-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Do you realize he hasnt been on patrol since july of 06. Not to mention he has an agenda here.

I think he is biased at the very least. I find it very hard to belive that this wouldn't have come to light way before now with all the imbeded reporters.

I will also point out again he hasn't been on patrol since July of 06 so how in the hell does this corospond with the "surge" of troops and the reduction is casualties both CIVILIAN and MILITARY. I highly doubt the civilian population are hiding in a field somewhere waiting for the day to be over or are you suggesting that they are!!!!

Joe Steel
11-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Do you realize he hasnt been on patrol since july of 06. Not to mention he has an agenda here.

I think he is biased at the very least. I find it very hard to belive that this wouldn't have come to light way before now with all the imbeded reporters.

I will also point out again he hasn't been on patrol since July of 06 so how in the hell does this corospond with the "surge" of troops and the reduction is casualties both CIVILIAN and MILITARY. I highly doubt the civilian population are hiding in a field somewhere waiting for the day to be over or are you suggesting that they are!!!!

I don't know that the reduction in casualties definitely is caused to search and avoid tactics. This is just an example of what may be happening. As I said, it's a bit of perspective.

jimnyc
11-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Isn't that link from the same source that made claims about Admiral Fallon, only to have Fallon come out later and completely debunk what was claimed? ispnews is one of the least credible sources on the entire internet.

diuretic
11-02-2007, 06:59 AM
I don't know that the reduction in casualties definitely is caused to search and avoid tactics. This is just an example of what may be happening. As I said, it's a bit of perspective.

It's not just a perspective, it's actually insightful. War is simply politics writ large. But you know, as long as the numbers are down, who gives a toss eh? Now, it would be really good if the numbers were down across the board. Good post Joe.

Joe Steel
11-02-2007, 07:59 AM
It's not just a perspective, it's actually insightful. War is simply politics writ large. But you know, as long as the numbers are down, who gives a toss eh? Now, it would be really good if the numbers were down across the board. Good post Joe.

Thank you.

Here's a bit more:

BAGHDAD, Oct. 18 -- Local Sunni and Shiite leaders from southwestern Baghdad signed an agreement Thursday intended to halt sectarian violence and attacks on American and Iraqi troops, with the condition that security forces limit their raids and offensive operations.

The 12-point "reconciliation document between Muslims" was the result of two months of negotiations between U.S. soldiers and power brokers in an area of the capital that has become an important base for Shiite militiamen but has also experienced attacks by Sunni insurgents.

The agreement, signed in a conference room in the U.S.-protected Baghdad International Airport compound, is an example of the U.S. military's wide-ranging effort to encourage local leaders to make such peaceful commitments in the absence of momentum toward national reconciliation by Iraqi politicians.

Local Foes Commit to Peace in Baghdad (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/18/AR2007101802185.html)

Apparently, peace negotiations may have been instrumental in reducing the level of violence.

Nukeman
11-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Thank you.

Here's a bit more:

Apparently, peace negotiations may have been instrumental in reducing the level of violence.

Just remember the old adage of "speak softly but carry a big stick". Now that they are faced with more troops and better intel they are ready to "deal". I dont dispute that they are tired of all the violence but when faced with larger numbers it always is benificial to negotiate than keep killing yourself and innocents...