PDA

View Full Version : We do not live in a democracy

JackDaniels
11-02-2007, 01:55 PM
We live in a country in which we choose our leaders, we live in a country in which the elite chooses our leaders for us.

Colbert--he is America, but he can't run

By Gabrielle Russon | Washington Bureau
8:27 AM CDT, November 2, 2007

WASHINGTON - TV comedian Stephen Colbert's mock presidential campaign suffered a setback Thursday when Democrats in South Carolina, the lone state where he pledged to run in both the Republican and Democratic primaries, denied him the political stage.

Although he paid a $2,500 filing fee, the executive committee voted to keep Colbert off the Democratic ballot, said state party Chairwoman Carol Fowler. The filing fee will be returned to him, she said.

"I think this committee that votes took their responsibilities seriously. Our rules are pretty specific about what makes a legitimate candidate," Fowler said.

Colbert missed the deadline Thursday to pay a $35,000 filing fee for a spot on the GOP ballot, a Republican official said. During Wednesday's episode of "The Colbert Report," Colbert said he wouldn't spend the $35,000.

On the campaign trail recently, Colbert said, "I promise, if elected, I will crush the state of Georgia. ... Our peaches are more numerous than Georgia's. They are more juiciful."

With his deadpan delivery, Colbert first gained notoriety on Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" before leaving for "The Colbert Report."

Many have followed the television star's every move since Colbert first announced his candidacy, which coincides with the release of his book, "I Am America (And So Can You!)." It has generated buzz on Facebook, a networking Web site politicians use to generate support among younger voters.

One Colbert fan said the comedian's campaign aimed at conservatives and liberals mocks how the more traditional candidates cater their message to whatever group they're speaking to at the moment.

"It seems what he's doing is more in your face, playing both sides," said James McManus, a 31-year-old who was raised in Sumter, S.C. "It is a pretty good satire on the political process."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-colbert_frinov02,1,5781411.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

-Cp
11-04-2007, 01:53 PM
First off -your title is correct - we don't live in a democracy - that's mob-rule - we live in a Constitutional Republic...

To anyone who watches Colbert (I'm one of those folks) - you'd know he's not serious about running for office so it only makes sense that the office he sent the fee into wouldn't take it seriously and refund it to him...

Yurt
11-04-2007, 02:20 PM
i had a post in this thread

5stringJeff
11-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Colbert can still run, just not as a Democrat. And, since the Democrats are a bunch of people banding together for a political purpose, they have the right to decide who gets to run under their banner. That's freedom of association.

JackDaniels
11-04-2007, 11:17 PM
First off -your title is correct - we don't live in a democracy - that's mob-rule - we live in a Constitutional Republic...

Which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

If you had paid attention, you'd know I have made that argument a while ago.
http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=126904&postcount=22

To anyone who watches Colbert (I'm one of those folks) - you'd know he's not serious about running for office so it only makes sense that the office he sent the fee into wouldn't take it seriously and refund it to him...

If we truly believe in representative government, you'd understand its not up to any specific party to make that judgment call.