PDA

View Full Version : Another UN Sex Abuse Story, Ho Hum...

Kathianne
11-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Now if it were US troops, we'd hear plenty about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7076284.stm

Sri Lanka to probe UN sex claims
Sri Lanka has promised to look into allegations that 108 of its UN peacekeepers in Haiti paid for sex, in some cases with underage girls.

The men are being sent home after being accused of sexual misconduct and abuse.

Officials say the law will take its course once the soldiers arrive back in Sri Lanka, but warn that little tangible evidence has been produced.

In the past, UN peacekeepers have been involved in a series of sex scandals, including this year in Ivory Coast.

'Zero tolerance' :rolleyes:

Sri Lanka has sent four senior officers, including a female brigadier, to Haiti to investigate.

The United Nations and the Sri Lankan government deeply regret any sexual exploitation and abuse that has occurred.
Michelle Montas
UN spokesman

Sri Lanka's Foreign Secretary, Dr Palitha Kohona, said the allegations against the soldiers were a blight on what he described as the country's stunningly good record in United Nations peacekeeping.

He added though that little tangible evidence had been provided by the United Nations, which might make it difficult to bring them before a court.

The UN mission in Haiti has requested an immediate investigation by the organisation's internal watchdog.

The UN has a "zero tolerance" policy on peacekeepers visiting prostitutes, regardless of local laws.

Spokeswoman Michele Montas said: "The United Nations and the Sri Lankan government deeply regret any sexual exploitation and abuse that has occurred.

"The [soldiers] are back under national jurisdiction. So far Sri Lanka has said... that they are going to be prosecuted in Sri Lanka."

Earlier this year more than 700 peacekeepers in Ivory Coast were suspended and in recent years, peacekeepers in Liberia and the Democratic Republic of Congo have also been accused of sexual exploitation.

Member states are supplying about 100,000 troops to peacekeeping operations worldwide.

The 950-strong peacekeeping operation in Haiti is the first to which Sri Lanka has sent a full contingent of troops, although some officers have joined earlier missions.

5stringJeff
11-04-2007, 03:47 PM
The UN is corrupt, as its leaders have no accountability to anyone. We should not be a part of it.

Dilloduck
11-04-2007, 03:51 PM
The UN is corrupt, as its leaders have no accountability to anyone. We should not be a part of it.

A tool of the NWO. I bet we couldn't get out of it if we tried.

LuvRPgrl
11-04-2007, 04:39 PM
A tool of the NWO. I bet we couldn't get out of it if we tried.

Its simple political death for anyone to suggest we exit it. I dont blame the politicians, not for anything, they simply respond to what the people vote for and on.
If people are stupid enough to fall for stupid tv ads 'vote for me, Im honest", then they get what they deserve.
I have known since I was about 12/13 that the UN is a piece of crap org.

musicman
11-05-2007, 10:02 AM
I believe that this whole ongoing mess is the result of a silly misunderstanding - one that has created unrealistic expectations. If we'd just stop misspelling the "piece" portion of "U.N. peacekeepers", we'd see that this august body does, indeed, sport a "stunningly good record". Hell - you can BANK on them!

Hagbard Celine
11-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Wonder of wonders! The US media reports stories about the US more heavily than stories about the UN! What a confounding mystery this is! It HAS to be because the US media hates the US! That's the only explanation!
:rolleyes:

musicman
11-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Wonder of wonders! The US media reports stories about the US more heavily than stories about the UN! What a confounding mystery this is! It HAS to be because the US media hates the US! That's the only explanation!
:rolleyes:

I don't think that's what Kathianne was saying, Hag. I don't see where U.S. media factor into her statement at all.

musicman
11-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Deleting duplicate post.