PDA

View Full Version : Status update

jimnyc
11-05-2007, 06:33 PM
In case you missed it, the server had another outage a short while ago that lasted 20-30 minutes. This is way beyond being unacceptable in my opinion.

I already had begun looking for alternatives. I am in the midst of working with a possible new host, and the planning stage of how things would get moved. It's not as easy as it sounds, but not that hard either. For this site, the 600meg worth of files would need to be backed up and moved, as well as the latest SQL database at time of transfer, currently also around 600meg. Being a forum, you want to ensure that the SQL dump (backup) that gets restored to the new server doesn't miss posts that occur after the dump. So the site would likely need to come down once the backup is initiated. At this time I would also change the domain nameservers with my registrar so they can propagate on the internet while the transfer is taking place. This can take anywhere from 2hours to 48hours.

What I would do is provide everyone here with the IP address of the new location that would allow you to reach the site by IP until the name propagates fully, then you could once again reach the site by name.

This is just in the planning stages right now, but seems like I have no alternative but to move away from here after utilizing this company for over 4 years. I will keep everyone updated as I go along.

April15
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Thank you for your efforts!

Kathianne
11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Jim, the site is uploading very, very slow. Not a complaint, just letting you know.

manu1959
11-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Jim, the site is uploading very, very slow. Not a complaint, just letting you know.

w h a t . . . .

BoogyMan
11-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Keep your chin up and we will look forward to the problems being worked out and things returning to normal.

Thanks for the hard work to keep this great forum running!