PDA

View Full Version : Bought Some Cassettes Today....

Pale Rider
11-07-2007, 12:50 AM
After this talk about digital verses analog, I have a high end Denon cassette deck, but I haven't listened to cassettes for at least a good ten years. The sound?.... listening to cassettes after listening to CD's for all these years is like listening to AM radio after FM. It's not even as good as the internet radio I listen to. About the only good thing about it is watching the cool little VU meters on the deck.

Now I suppose I'm going to have to buy a decent turn table and try listening to a good piece of vinyl just to satisfy my curiosity... :mad:

HotPinkConsevative
11-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Yeah I know what you mean..Hey, how do you write a Thread?

Pale Rider
11-07-2007, 01:07 AM

You go to whatever category you want, and on the upper left hand corner of the list of threads, there will be a button that says, "new thread."

Welcome aboard. I think you'll like it here. This board has some real good people.

hjmick
11-07-2007, 01:09 AM

Pick your forum, click on "New Thread" in the upper left, give it a title, and away you go.

By the way...you misspelled "conservative" in your name. ;)

hjmick
11-07-2007, 01:11 AM
After this talk about digital verses analog, I have a high end Denon cassette deck, but I haven't listened to cassettes for at least a good ten years. The sound?.... listening to cassettes after listening to CD's for all these years is like listening to AM radio after FM. It's not even as good as the internet radio I listen to. About the only good thing about it is watching the cool little VU meters on the deck.

Now I suppose I'm going to have to buy a decent turn table and try listening to a good piece of vinyl just to satisfy my curiosity... :mad:

Don't you have a friend with a good turntable? Seems like a lot of effort and money just to satisfy one's curiosity.

HotPinkConsevative
11-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks, My mistake. Though I guess that it is 12:31 am so I'm not the most alert person out there;-)

HotPinkConsevative
11-07-2007, 01:33 AM
Thanks ya'll, I appreciate all the help

Pale Rider
11-07-2007, 01:36 AM
Don't you have a friend with a good turntable? Seems like a lot of effort and money just to satisfy one's curiosity.

Yeah... manu... but he's over in san fran or somewhere, and I'm not going over there to listen, even though he did invite me.

I toy around with this all the time. I think out loud. But, what I'll probably do is sell my new Pioneer VSX-1017TVX-k for either a Sony STR-DA4300es, or an ONKYO TX-SR805, OR TX-S905. I want a receiver that will decode Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD and has HDMI 1080P switching and up-scaling. Those receivers do. The new Pioneer I bought doesn't. I've got a 56 inch JVC 1080P HDTV, and I'm going to go all high def for movies and music, and be DONE WITH IT... or I'd like to think... :uhoh:

Yup... going to buy an ONKYO TX-SR905. Anybody wanna buy a barely used, like new, Pioneer VSX-1017TVX-k, THX Select2, 140 watts x 7.1?

gabosaurus
11-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Pale, you need to hang out with my dad. He is the consummate music collection. As such, he has thousands of vinyl records that now take up most of what used to be my sister's room. He also has untold numbers of bootleg cassettes, mostly of live concerts.
You can transfer them to CD, but it is an enormous hassle.

manu1959
11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Yeah... manu... but he's over in san fran or somewhere, and I'm not going over there to listen, even though he did invite me.

I toy around with this all the time. I think out loud. But, what I'll probably do is sell my new Pioneer VSX-1017TVX-k for either a Sony STR-DA4300es, or an ONKYO TX-SR805, OR TX-S905. I want a receiver that will decode Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD and has HDMI 1080P switching and up-scaling. Those receivers do. The new Pioneer I bought doesn't. I've got a 56 inch JVC 1080P HDTV, and I'm going to go all high def for movies and music, and be DONE WITH IT... or I'd like to think... :uhoh:

Yup... going to buy an ONKYO TX-SR905. Anybody wanna buy a barely used, like new, Pioneer VSX-1017TVX-k, THX Select2, 140 watts x 7.1?

just go to a high end audio store and demo one....or buy the esoteric cd player i linked you to and be done with it....

Yurt
11-07-2007, 09:53 PM

get a good record player and the vinyl with blow you away. pure analog cannot be beat at this time. it is a smooth continious wave versus blocks of digits, ultimate the "square" "straight" edges lose to the continious flow of the curve. but you have to have quality.

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 12:31 AM
just go to a high end audio store and demo one....or buy the esoteric cd player i linked you to and be done with it....

I'm going to buy an ONKYO TX SR875 or the TX SR905. They're almost identical, except the 905 has one more HDMI output than the 875 and some different second environment controls, which I would never use. But those are brand spanking new receivers and pricey right now. They're ONKYO's flagship models. I bid $1,125.00 on a 905 just now on ebay, and was outbid at $1,600.00. That's still a good price, because they're around $2,000.00 anywhere else. These receivers decode the new HD sound tracks AND they have video upscaling to 1080P for any input, including analog. Can't beat that, and the amplifier section is super clean at 140 watts per channel times 7 channels at 0.04% total harmonic distortion into 8 ohms. I'm just going to wait until the buying frenzy is over and then I'll buy one for quite a bit less. I'm not going to dick around with cassettes or vinyl. I think CD's sound just fine, and the new high definition sound tracks with some having up to eight times the audio information will sound outstanding.