PDA

View Full Version : Report: Abstinence not curbing teen sex

LiberalNation
11-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Duh.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071107/ap_on_re_us/teen_sex;_ylt=Ag.O_acfXJ8ZIp455IPUsgNvzwcF

WASHINGTON - Programs that focus exclusively on abstinence have not been shown to affect teenager sexual behavior, although they are eligible for tens of millions of dollars in federal grants, according to a study released by a nonpartisan group that seeks to reduce teen pregnancies.

"At present there does not exist any strong evidence that any abstinence program delays the initiation of sex, hastens the return to abstinence or reduces the number of sexual partners" among teenagers, the study concluded.

The report, which was based on a review of research into teenager sexual behavior, was being released Wednesday by the nonpartisan National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.

The study found that while abstinence-only efforts appear to have little positive impact, more comprehensive sex education programs were having "positive outcomes" including teenagers "delaying the initiation of sex, reducing the frequency of sex, reducing the number of sexual partners and increasing condom or contraceptive use."

"Two-thirds of the 48 comprehensive programs that supported both abstinence and the use of condoms and contraceptives for sexually active teens had positive behavior effect," said the report.

A spending bill before Congress for the Department of Health and Human Services would provide $141 million in assistance for community-based, abstinence-only sex education programs, $4 million more than what President Bush had requested.

The study, conducted by Douglas Kirby, a senior research scientist at ETR Associates, also sought to debunk what the report called "myths propagated by abstinence-only advocates" including: that comprehensive sex education promotes promiscuity, hastens the initiative of sex or increases its frequency, and sends a confusing message to adolescents.

None of these was found to be accurate, Kirby wrote.

Instead, he wrote, such programs improved teens' knowledge about the risks and consequences of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases and gave them greater "confidence in their ability to say 'no' to unwanted sex."

The sponsors of the study praised Kirby for his "thorough research" and for being "fair and evenhanded," but they also acknowledged that ETR Associates developed and markets several of the sex education curricula reviewed in the report. Several of the previous studies that were reviewed also were written by Kirby.

The report noted that there continues to be "too high levels of sexual risk-taking among teens" with 47 percent of all high schools students reporting having sex at least once and 63 percent saying they have engaged in sex by the spring semester of their senior year.

"Many teenagers do not use contraceptives carefully and consistently," said the report. About 40 of every 1,000 girls age 15 to 19 gave birth in 2005, the last year for which data was available, the report said.

Dilloduck
11-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Duh.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071107/ap_on_re_us/teen_sex;_ylt=Ag.O_acfXJ8ZIp455IPUsgNvzwcF

WASHINGTON - Programs that focus exclusively on abstinence have not been shown to affect teenager sexual behavior, although they are eligible for tens of millions of dollars in federal grants, according to a study released by a nonpartisan group that seeks to reduce teen pregnancies.

"At present there does not exist any strong evidence that any abstinence program delays the initiation of sex, hastens the return to abstinence or reduces the number of sexual partners" among teenagers, the study concluded.

The report, which was based on a review of research into teenager sexual behavior, was being released Wednesday by the nonpartisan National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.

The study found that while abstinence-only efforts appear to have little positive impact, more comprehensive sex education programs were having "positive outcomes" including teenagers "delaying the initiation of sex, reducing the frequency of sex, reducing the number of sexual partners and increasing condom or contraceptive use."

"Two-thirds of the 48 comprehensive programs that supported both abstinence and the use of condoms and contraceptives for sexually active teens had positive behavior effect," said the report.

A spending bill before Congress for the Department of Health and Human Services would provide $141 million in assistance for community-based, abstinence-only sex education programs, $4 million more than what President Bush had requested.

The study, conducted by Douglas Kirby, a senior research scientist at ETR Associates, also sought to debunk what the report called "myths propagated by abstinence-only advocates" including: that comprehensive sex education promotes promiscuity, hastens the initiative of sex or increases its frequency, and sends a confusing message to adolescents.

None of these was found to be accurate, Kirby wrote.

Instead, he wrote, such programs improved teens' knowledge about the risks and consequences of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases and gave them greater "confidence in their ability to say 'no' to unwanted sex."

The sponsors of the study praised Kirby for his "thorough research" and for being "fair and evenhanded," but they also acknowledged that ETR Associates developed and markets several of the sex education curricula reviewed in the report. Several of the previous studies that were reviewed also were written by Kirby.

The report noted that there continues to be "too high levels of sexual risk-taking among teens" with 47 percent of all high schools students reporting having sex at least once and 63 percent saying they have engaged in sex by the spring semester of their senior year.

"Many teenagers do not use contraceptives carefully and consistently," said the report. About 40 of every 1,000 girls age 15 to 19 gave birth in 2005, the last year for which data was available, the report said.

It's pretty tough to teach abstinence becuase if one fails at it you can just get an abortion to prevent you from "suffering" the torture of pregnancy and caring for a child.

Hagbard Celine
11-07-2007, 09:31 AM
It's pretty tough to teach abstinence becuase if one fail at it you can just get an abortion to prevent you from "suffering" the torture of pregnancy and caring for a child.

A legible thought may be a good place to start if you want to help your cause.

Dilloduck
11-07-2007, 09:38 AM

Too complicated for ya again ?

truthmatters
11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Teaching kids all the facts is what works. Teaching them ONLY what a few of the people want them to know is not teaching and so it does not work.

Immanuel
11-07-2007, 09:43 AM
We need to start somewhere.

First, you start teaching that abstinence works.

But that is not going to be enough. Because our society throws sex at us all the time. I'm not a prude. I like the beautiful women on tv just as much as the next guy, but as long as we throw sexual message after sexual message at our teens we are fighting a lost cause.

Immie

Dilloduck
11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Teaching kids all the facts is what works. Teaching them ONLY what a few of the people want them to know is not teaching and so it does not work.

Including the trauma of having an abortion and the joys of letting a child live?

Hagbard Celine
11-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Too complicated for ya again ?

There ya go. Proofreading is always a good idea. It keeps you from appearing moronic to others.

Immanuel
11-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Including the trauma of having an abortion and the joys of letting a child live?

{sarcasm on}

No, that is one fact that the liberals deny and refuse to teach.

{sarcasm off}

Dilloduck
11-07-2007, 09:47 AM
There ya go. Proofreading is always a good idea. It keeps you from appearing moronic to others.

Sucks when your reading comprehension sucks, doesn't it ?

Dilloduck
11-07-2007, 09:49 AM
{sarcasm on}

No, that is one fact that the liberals deny and refuse to teach.

{sarcasm off}

Teach it all. It's not going to make any difference if you can just kill any mistake you make. Why bother ?

PostmodernProphet
11-07-2007, 09:50 AM
for the sake of accuracy, the title of the thread should read "abstinence programs not curbing teen sex"......if abstinence isn't curbing it, they haven't quite got the idea of "abstinence" down right......

Hagbard Celine
11-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Sucks when your reading comprehension sucks, doesn't it ?

No, your grammar and typing skills are what suck. Sorry I hurt your feelings, but if you want to make smart-ass comments and come-off righteous then you'd better make your comments legible. Otherwise, I'll continue to believe you're a retard.

gcianfrani
11-07-2007, 10:04 AM
While teaching abstinence, it should also be important to realize that abstinence will not work alone and it has nothing to do with abortions being an option. To assume that a young woman thinks the availability of abortion is a viable and simple option is foolish. I don't know of any woman who would rather feel out-of-control, unconscious or otherwise, while having her uterus vaccumed-out. Where has it been said that having a baby is suffering or torturous? It's a woman's individual choice and none of your business- unless you're a woman and it's regarding your own body. If God suddenly declared (by way of the Vatican or your religious "messenger") that you could no longer cut your hair or nails, or kill plants and animals, they're living things afterall and you'll go to Hell, I imagine you'd be inclined to follow; therefore, you prefer to believe that your life is not your own and that you have no power of choice in your life. Wow, I'll pray for you, I feel sorry that you suffer this way, Dildo. DUH.

It's pretty tough to teach abstinence becuase if one fails at it you can just get an abortion to prevent you from "suffering" the torture of pregnancy and caring for a child.

Dilloduck
11-07-2007, 10:05 AM
No, your grammar and typing skills are what suck. Sorry I hurt your feelings, but if you want to make smart-ass comments and come-off righteous then you'd better make your comments legible. Otherwise, I'll continue to believe you're a retard.

Hurt my feelings :laugh2: Try to keep up--everyone else can.

Hagbard Celine
11-07-2007, 10:09 AM
for the sake of accuracy, the title of the thread should read "abstinence programs not curbing teen sex"......if abstinence isn't curbing it, they haven't quite got the idea of "abstinence" down right......

Yeah, because scrutinizing meaningless semantics changes the reality of the study. The truth is that we all know abstinence-only programs don't curb teen pregnancy rates. Yet the conservative wing of the population obstinately refuses to acknowledge reality or truth and instead has deemed it necessary to cling-on to failed policies for the sake of moral idealism.

manu1959
11-07-2007, 10:28 AM

can't refute the argument so you attack grammar and spelling.....weak

Hagbard Celine
11-07-2007, 10:31 AM
can't refute the argument so you attack grammar and spelling.....weak

"Dat abstinence be da ony ting be don' go gettin' dat abortions, but da LIBERAL COMMIES! be don't --I believe in creation and da Jesus don' lika pregnant teens. So dey don' yeah."

--paraphrase of Dillo's "argument" as you put it.

Go sit on a pole. You know I'm right on this.

JohnDoe
11-07-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't understand why this is under the school's responsibility. I think it belongs at home, with the parents and the children, together.

As example, I bet ya Truthmatters has discussed all of this teen sex stuff with her son already, and if the school had no sex ed programs at all, her son would still have the knowledge of the consequences of unsafe sex.

What is wrong with parents of today, willing to just throw their hands up and give over to a gvt agency, what should be taught at home, especially in this day and age of sexual bombardment in the media? What gives? Too difficult of a subject?

I know when I was a kid, and having a very strict Italian born mother, it was not discussed with me other than you are NOT to have sex outside of marriage and you will NOT get pregnant outside of marriage....that was about it....but this was 30 years ago and all of my friends at the time did have further discussions with their parents about it....

I was kind of envious that the girls I knew could have these discussions with their moms, I felt I was an exception because of my own mother's strict, Italian, Catholic, background and baggage that she carried on the subject, I might add. And I certainly was not prepared in the least, for the "real" world of peer pressures and bursting of hormones.

I just can't see why mothers of today, (unless italian born, hahahahaha), don't spend the time with their own daughters, and fathers and mothers with their own sons, to discuss this with their kids starting at puberty?

jd

11-07-2007, 11:19 AM
The title of this thread of an oxymoron. Tell me how does one who has sex abstinent? Isnt the very fact that they are having sex prove that they arent being abstinent?

If they refuse to be abstinent you cant say its failing. because its never being tried.

Hagbard Celine
11-07-2007, 11:39 AM
The title of this thread of an oxymoron. Tell me how does one who has sex abstinent? Isnt the very fact that they are having sex prove that they arent being abstinent?

If they refuse to be abstinent you cant say its failing. because its never being tried.

Refer to post 16.

Cheyenne
11-07-2007, 11:40 AM
While teaching abstinence, it should also be important to realize that abstinence will not work alone and it has nothing to do with abortions being an option. To assume that a young woman thinks the availability of abortion is a viable and simple option is foolish. I don't know of any woman who would rather feel out-of-control, unconscious or otherwise, while having her uterus vaccumed-out............

While I understand what you're saying, we are speaking of children, here. It's hard for them to comprehend how difficult life can be without an education or a job when all they have to do is go to a cabinet and get what they need.

They don't know the difficulties life can bring. If they get pregnant their attitude is Mom & Dad can help raise it or [again]there is the abortion option.

I don't believe that abortion should be outlawed but I don't think it should be a birth control option. Education, morals & understanding is the key; and it starts in the home when they're born.

Immanuel
11-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't understand why this is under the school's responsibility. I think it belongs at home, with the parents and the children, together.

As example, I bet ya Truthmatters has discussed all of this teen sex stuff with her son already, and if the school had no sex ed programs at all, her son would still have the knowledge of the consequences of unsafe sex.

What is wrong with parents of today, willing to just throw their hands up and give over to a gvt agency, what should be taught at home, especially in this day and age of sexual bombardment in the media? What gives? Too difficult of a subject?

I know when I was a kid, and having a very strict Italian born mother, it was not discussed with me other than you are NOT to have sex outside of marriage and you will NOT get pregnant outside of marriage....that was about it....but this was 30 years ago and all of my friends at the time did have further discussions with their parents about it....

I was kind of envious that the girls I knew could have these discussions with their moms, I felt I was an exception because of my own mother's strict, Italian, Catholic, background and baggage that she carried on the subject, I might add. And I certainly was not prepared in the least, for the "real" world of peer pressures and bursting of hormones.

I just can't see why mothers of today, (unless italian born, hahahahaha), don't spend the time with their own daughters, and fathers and mothers with their own sons, to discuss this with their kids starting at puberty?

jd

Being a father, I would say that the problem in the vast majority of homes is not that parents don't discuss the issue. The problem is that society (think peer pressure) gives a completely opposite message than parents do.

Think back to when you were 21. The saying goes that 21 year olds think their parents are stupid. It is not until the 21 year old actually grows up a bit before he/she realizes that mom and dad weren't so stupid.

Society is teaching exactly the opposite of what we teach our kids. Unfortunately, society wins in a lot of the battles.

Immie

darin
11-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Education, morals & understanding is the key; and it starts in the home when they're born.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending) society will steadily get less moral and it's citizens will lose More and more understanding.

gabosaurus
11-07-2007, 12:00 PM
If you are a young female, or you work closely with young females, you know that teaching abstinence doesn't work. It doesn't work.
It is pretty easy for older people to stand up, quote the Bible and talk about moral standards and how easy it should be to say no. You grew up in a different time, or perhaps in different surroundings.
You turn on the TV and you see sex. Go to the movies and you see sex. Same thing with magazines, music, the internet and video games.
Guys have been pressuring girls to have sex since the dawn of time. Girls have been giving in for the same time period.
Teens are curious. They have raging hormones and a lot of outside pressures.

Teaching teens about sex DOES NOT encourage them to have sex. If you believe otherwise, you are stupid. Yes, I said it. If you think teaching abstinence works, you are an idiot.
You need to inform teens (especially girls) about the risks of pregnancy and STDs. You would be surprised at how many teens regard pregnancy as a game. If you have a kid, you can put it on a shelf if you get tired of it.
A lot of girls come from broken or troubled homes. They look at pregnancy as a way to get out. They think that if they have a kid, the father will marry them and take them to the new house with the green lawn and the picket fence.

Sex education classes are wonderful things. I have seen them work.
In one class I monitored, girls have to wear a 20-pound flour sack for two weeks, 24/7. Then they have to take home this very sophisticated doll. It is programed to scream at various intervals. It has a tracking chip to record where it has been. It is as close to reality as you can get.

If you want to curb teen pregnancy, teach real life. Appeal to teens on their level, not on yours.

JohnDoe
11-07-2007, 12:26 PM
If you are a young female, or you work closely with young females, you know that teaching abstinence doesn't work. It doesn't work.
It is pretty easy for older people to stand up, quote the Bible and talk about moral standards and how easy it should be to say no. You grew up in a different time, or perhaps in different surroundings.
You turn on the TV and you see sex. Go to the movies and you see sex. Same thing with magazines, music, the internet and video games.
Guys have been pressuring girls to have sex since the dawn of time. Girls have been giving in for the same time period.

Teaching teens about sex DOES NOT encourage them to have sex. If you believe otherwise, you are stupid. Yes, I said it. If you think teaching abstinence works, you are an idiot.
You need to inform teens (especially girls) about the risks of pregnancy and STDs. You would be surprised at how many teens regard pregnancy as a game. If you have a kid, you can put it on a shelf if you get tired of it.
A lot of girls come from broken or troubled homes. They look at pregnancy as a way to get out. They think that if they have a kid, the father will marry them and take them to the new house with the green lawn and the picket fence.

In one class I monitored, girls have to wear a 20-pound flour sack for two weeks, 24/7. Then they have to take home this very sophisticated doll. It is programed to scream at various intervals. It has a tracking chip to record where it has been. It is as close to reality as you can get.

If you want to curb teen pregnancy, teach real life. Appeal to teens on their level, not on yours.

I briefly saw a program on tv discussing this kind of Sex ed, with the weight of the sack and the baby doll that cries when it needs to be fed or changed. The girls that were in this program, most certainly understood that having a child was not an easy task....I thought it was a good program.

But I also wonder if this kind of program just makes them think that if they get pregnant, they should just abort the child to be, because pregnancy and caring for one's own child is not that easy, instead of making them wiser by abstaining or using birth control if they choose not to?

I would like to see this same kind of reality type program with girls... going in depth about abortion procedures, and consequences both mentally and physically that can come from that too....

jd

Cheyenne
11-07-2007, 12:40 PM
I would like to see this same kind of reality type program with girls... going in depth about abortion procedures, and consequences both mentally and physically that can come from that too....I think this would be good as well. But we keep targeting the girls because they & their parents are the ones that carry the brunt of their mistake. It's the rare parent that teaches their sons the consequences of their choices as well. Boys too, need to be taught about abortion & the responsibility of their actions.

JohnDoe
11-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I think this would be good as well. But we keep targeting the girls because they & their parents are the ones that carry the brunt of their mistake. It's the rare parent that teaches their sons the consequences of their choices as well. Boys too, need to be taught about abortion & the responsibility of their actions.
OH!!! you got that right and if you read any of my posts on any of the abortion threads you would see that I fully agree!

jd

Immanuel
11-07-2007, 01:08 PM

That is exactly what I have been saying except that I don't discount or in your case completely throw abstinence in the trash. The messages that society (including our public school system) gives completely counteract all sensibility that loved ones try to instill in teens.

If we don't change the message we are sending to our children then we are fighting a lost cause.

Immie

Abbey Marie
11-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Do you believe in drug education programs, too? Just tell kids, we know you are gong to do cocaine, pot, heroin, meth, etc., anyway, so here's how to do it safely: Don't share needles.

Hagbard Celine
11-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Do you believe in drug education programs, too? Just tell kids, we know you are gong to do cocaine, pot, heroin, meth, etc., anyway, so here's how to do it safely: Don't share needles.

Wow, no wonder you're so repressed. When you associate something healthy, like sex, with illegal drug addiction, you know you've got problems.

Abbey Marie
11-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Wow, no wonder you're so repressed. When you associate something healthy, like sex, with illegal drug addiction, you know you've got problems.

Any chance you can answer the question honestly? It's far superior intellectually to answer, than to avoid it by casting lame aspersions on other posters. You really should try it some time.

LiberalNation
11-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah they tell us drug are bad don't do them at our school too. It works about as well as the whole abstinence cuz sex before marraige is bad thing. Meaning most teenagers I know have tried drugs and alcohol.

Hagbard Celine
11-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Any chance you can answer the question honestly? It's far superior intellectually to answer, than to avoid it by casting lame aspersions on other posters. You really should try it some time.

No. It's a stupid question. You think we should teach our children to equate having sex with doing illegal drugs. That's the epitome of idiocy. That's also why there are so many kids in the US who reach puberty not knowing anything about sex, the opposite sex or why they feel embarrassment and guilty about the most natural thing humans can do. It's shameful.

PostmodernProphet
11-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, because scrutinizing meaningless semantics changes the reality of the study. The truth is that we all know abstinence-only programs don't curb teen pregnancy rates. Yet the conservative wing of the population obstinately refuses to acknowledge reality or truth and instead has deemed it necessary to cling-on to failed policies for the sake of moral idealism.

ah, well now that I have my meaningless semantic changes out of the way, let me respond by pointing out the difficulties of thinking a program designed to promote abstinence is going to be sufficient balance against a society that treats kids who aren't getting laid as losers clinging to failed idealism......

Hagbard Celine
11-07-2007, 03:53 PM
ah, well now that I have my meaningless semantic changes out of the way, let me respond by pointing out the difficulties of thinking a program designed to promote abstinence is going to be sufficient balance against a society that treats kids who aren't getting laid as losers clinging to failed idealism......

So now adolescents are having sex because they are afraid of being called "losers" and not because it's the only drive they feel due to the rush of sex hormones flooding their bodies for the first time in their lives? Hmm. You make a good point. :rolleyes:

I guess before rap music and go-go dancers kids never ribbed each other. That must be what you oldies call "the good ol' days." :laugh:

Trinity
11-07-2007, 06:50 PM
You know there is one thing bothering me about this thread everyone keeps referring to the girls and they should be on birth control and they should have more of the programs with the flour and the baby etc. etc.

What about the boy's? They should also be taught everything these girls are being taught, preferably abstinence, however I know better teenagers are going to be teenagers and the crap that is thrown down their throats from society daily does not help.

Which is why I have had numerous conversations about sex with both of my boy's. Because it is also their responsibility if they decide to have sex when they are teens, to make sure they use protection to prevent a pregnancy or STD. God I hope not but I know it's coming!

Dilloduck
11-07-2007, 07:49 PM
While teaching abstinence, it should also be important to realize that abstinence will not work alone and it has nothing to do with abortions being an option. To assume that a young woman thinks the availability of abortion is a viable and simple option is foolish. I don't know of any woman who would rather feel out-of-control, unconscious or otherwise, while having her uterus vaccumed-out. Where has it been said that having a baby is suffering or torturous? It's a woman's individual choice and none of your business- unless you're a woman and it's regarding your own body. If God suddenly declared (by way of the Vatican or your religious "messenger") that you could no longer cut your hair or nails, or kill plants and animals, they're living things afterall and you'll go to Hell, I imagine you'd be inclined to follow; therefore, you prefer to believe that your life is not your own and that you have no power of choice in your life. Wow, I'll pray for you, I feel sorry that you suffer this way, Dildo. DUH.

Abstinence has everything to do with whether a woman even NEEDS to consider the abortion option. If she remains abstinent until she wants to raise a child, she has nothing to worry about. If a woman chooses NOT to be abstinent then hopefully she has been educated regarding ALL THE FACTS about birth control, ALL THE FACTS about abortion, and ALL THE FACTS about carrying a ________ ( insert your term of choice ) to term because 99% of the time SHE has chosen to take the risk.

Males need to be taught that ALL sex without consent is rape, ALL risks they are taking in regards to STDs and that if the consenting woman becomes pregnant, his life ( and the future of the egg he fertilized ) is at the mercy of his sex partner.

Why you felt it necessary to go on a rant about religion in response to my post is beyond me but whatever floats you boat.

PostmodernProphet
11-07-2007, 08:47 PM
That must be what you oldies call "the good ol' days."

I think the "good old days" would be back when adults thought part of their job was to teach morality to kids.....instead of throwing up their hands and saying "why bother, kids are just going to fuck anyway"......

HotPinkConsevative
11-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Uh hey guys?? I am 15 and I'm one of those teens who believe in abstinence. I have never had sex, and I don't plan on ever having sex till my honeymoon.

11-07-2007, 09:43 PM
No. It's a stupid question. You think we should teach our children to equate having sex with doing illegal drugs. That's the epitome of idiocy. That's also why there are so many kids in the US who reach puberty not knowing anything about sex, the opposite sex or why they feel embarrassment and guilty about the most natural thing humans can do. It's shameful.

People should feel shame, embarassment and guilty doing natural things. Because unlike you, none of us are naive enough to believe that doing natural things means they did the right thing.

Its natural to hate, to fight, to be intolerant, to lie, to cheat, to be idle, etc. And these actions are far more natural and occur far earlier in one's life than any desire to have sex. But simply because they are natural does not make them right. In fact, one's natural activity can be quite evil.

Also, you are naive if you don't see the similiarities between drugs and sex. Both can be highly addictive. However, if sex and drugs are used in the correct circumstances, and not abused they can bring life into the world and heal life.

Not only that, both have liberals telling people that they can abuse both of them with no consequences to their actions. and that's a lie. There are negative consequences to the abuse and misuse of drugs and sex. At best, emotional scars that last a life time. At worst, death.

Those who encourage premarital/extramarital sex lack understanding.

11-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah they tell us drug are bad don't do them at our school too. It works about as well as the whole abstinence cuz sex before marraige is bad thing. Meaning most teenagers I know have tried drugs and alcohol.

Teach people correct principles and they can govern themselves.

The problem is the schools are simply telling "Don't do this" they arent showing and teaching the consequences of such actions.

Also, not all teenagers do such things, You might want to associate with better people.

11-07-2007, 09:46 PM

It hasn't failed. It simply has been deemed too difficult and left untried.

11-07-2007, 09:47 PM
You know there is one thing bothering me about this thread everyone keeps referring to the girls and they should be on birth control and they should have more of the programs with the flour and the baby etc. etc.

What about the boy's? They should also be taught everything these girls are being taught, preferably abstinence, however I know better teenagers are going to be teenagers and the crap that is thrown down their throats from society daily does not help.

Which is why I have had numerous conversations about sex with both of my boy's. Because it is also their responsibility if they decide to have sex when they are teens, to make sure they use protection to prevent a pregnancy or STD. God I hope not but I know it's coming!

I agree with you completely. In fact, I think the men should be held more responsible as they are usually the instigators of such activity. (There are some more aggressive females).

Teach the boys how to be men and the girls will naturally become women.

11-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Uh hey guys?? I am 15 and I'm one of those teens who believe in abstinence. I have never had sex, and I don't plan on ever having sex till my honeymoon.

good. don't let anyone convince you otherwise. and encourage your friends to do the same.

Dilloduck
11-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I agree with you completely. In fact, I think the men should be held more responsible as they are usually the instigators of such activity. (There are some more aggressive females).

Teach the boys how to be men and the girls will naturally become women.

Held more responsible ?? They are already are deprived of the right to determine the fate of the egg they fertilized. His mate decides if his offpsring will be aborted or she wants to keep the child but make him financially support it. Hell, she can even claim she didn't consent to sex and really put the heat on this guy. What more do you want in the way of consequnces for the male engaging in sex?

PostmodernProphet
11-07-2007, 11:54 PM

good....I read an article recently that said something like 40% of Harvard students admited to being virgins in a recent survey and only 20% reported having had sex more than once......

JohnDoe
11-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Uh hey guys?? I am 15 and I'm one of those teens who believe in abstinence. I have never had sex, and I don't plan on ever having sex till my honeymoon.Good luck hotpink! But know now that your commitment to this will only need to become stronger as you get older, because at 18 or 19 or 20 or 21, the peer pressure, boyfriend pressure and even sometimes hormone pressure will be abound. Don't think this wise stance of yours will be easy, know that it won't be... and start getting tougher skin now to handle it!

jane doe

HotPinkConsevative
11-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Good luck hotpink! But know now that your commitment to this will only need to become stronger as you get older, because at 18 or 19 or 20 or 21, the peer pressure, boyfriend pressure and even sometimes hormone pressure will be abound. Don't think this wise stance of yours will be easy, know that it won't be... and start getting tougher skin now to handle it!

jane doe

Yeah, I realize that the task that I have started (staying pure till marriage) Will not be the easyest task that I have ever started on- though neither is living with 9 brothers and sister - or skiping 2 grades;-) while taking a collage class

JohnDoe
11-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I realize that the task that I have started (staying pure till marriage) Will not be the easyest task that I have ever started on- though neither is living with 9 brothers and sister - or skiping 2 grades;-) while taking a collage class

YOU GO GIRL!

make us other women proud!

figured you were some ''brain'' when you said you were 15 and had interest in politics!

good luck again, and good goin' on all of your accomplishments!

jd

HotPinkConsevative
11-08-2007, 01:03 AM
:-)

Trinity
11-08-2007, 07:05 AM

Good for you! obviously someone did something right....So may I ask are you male or female and why have you chosen to wait? Was it because of what you learned from your parent's or school? Etc. etc.?

HotPinkConsevative
11-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Good for you! obviously someone did something right....So may I ask are you male or female and why have you chosen to wait? Was it because of what you learned from your parent's or school? Etc. etc.?

I'm a female. Well I first dicided to abstinent from what my Mom and Dad told me, now it's pretty much everything that I have around me just makes me want to stay abstinent

gabosaurus
11-10-2007, 01:35 PM
HotPink, are you Pentecostal by any chance? You remind me of a girl I had a couple of undergrad classes with. She was brilliant. We had some great discussions, because we totally disagreed on pretty much everything.

I think a lot of girls start out with the intent of remaining a virgin until marriage. Not many make it. There are tons of pressure out there, and too many girls end up giving in to it. I was one of them.
My best friend Beth was not. She was a virgin when she got married at 22. So was her husband, who was 25. What is unique about Beth is that she doesn't believe in religion. Her husband is a lapsed Baptist. She simply did not believe in sex without commitment.