PDA

View Full Version : Britain's most stupid laws

mrg666
11-07-2007, 11:17 AM
LONDON (AFP) - Queen Elizabeth II's speech in the British parliament Tuesday may have been routine but at least nobody got bored to death. That would have been against the law.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dying in parliament is an offence and is also by far the most absurd law in Britain, according to a survey of nearly 4,000 people by a television channel showing a legal drama series.

And though the lords were clad in their red and white ermine cloaks and ambassadors from around the world wore colourful national costumes, at least nobody turned up in a suit of armour. Illegal.

Other rules deemed utterly stupid included one that permits a pregnant woman to urinate in a policeman's hat and murdering bow-and-arrow-carrying Scotsmen within the city walls of York, northern England.

A law stating that in Liverpool, only a clerk in a tropical fish store is allowed to be publicly topless, was also ridiculous, said a poll of 3,931 people for UKTV Gold television out Tuesday.

Nearly half of those surveyed admitted to breaking the ban on eating mince pies on Christmas Day, which dates back to the 17th century and was originally designed to outlaw gluttony during the rule of the Puritan Oliver Crowmell.

The laws and other regulations were culled from published research into ancient legislation that has never been repealed although subsequent statutes have rendered them obsolete.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071106/od_afp/britainlawsoffbeat;_ylt=AoSA28z62YcOo0xMvVsV4QUuQE 4F

mrg666
11-07-2007, 11:20 AM
there thousands of old bylaws in this country that date back 100's of years .
i once had a discussion about getting rid of the absurd antiquated ones, but the conclusion was it would take years and years to erradicate them and not leave loopholes in the legal system.

Abbey Marie
11-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah, but it's still the coolest country!

mrg666
11-07-2007, 12:14 PM
from the outside in it may look cool :laugh2:

manu1959
11-07-2007, 12:18 PM
well i have been to york and armed scotsmen can be tricky....

dan
11-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Here in South Carolina, it's legal to beat your wife but only on Sunday on the steps of the court house.

Oh, and it's illegal to keep a horse in your bathtub. Thus, ruining my Mr. Ed's Moonshine business.

Trigg
11-07-2007, 01:00 PM
You guys might want to drive around Indiana next time.

It is illegal for a man to be sexually aroused in public.

Oral sex is illegal

Monkeybone
11-07-2007, 01:02 PM
broke those laws! WOOOO!!

Abbey Marie
11-07-2007, 01:27 PM
from the outside in it may look cool :laugh2:

I have been there, and still think so!

mrg666
11-07-2007, 01:50 PM
its the same with any holiday anywhere if you live here (or any where ) its not so hot

Nukeman
11-07-2007, 01:56 PM
You guys might want to drive around Indiana next time.
It is illegal for a man to be sexually aroused in public.

Oral sex is illegal Well doesn't that suck!!! maybe not!!!!

Abbey Marie
11-07-2007, 02:52 PM
its the same with any holiday anywhere if you live here (or any where ) its not so hot

Usually true, though I went to the Bahamas on vacay once, and didn't like it very much.

What don't you like about England?

mrg666
11-07-2007, 03:02 PM
nothing specific , i think we all look next door and see greener grass .
i live local to a few historical interest points ( tourist attractions ) .
but it all gets boring .

Abbey Marie
11-07-2007, 03:05 PM
nothing specific , i think we all look next door and see greener grass .
i live local to a few historical interest points ( tourist attractions ) .
but it all gets boring .

Those tourist spots- I lived in NYC for years, and never went to the Empire State Bldg., and the Statue of Liberty only on a field trip. After a while, any city can get on your nerves.
Psst! Can you get me a private tour of Westminster Abbey?

mrg666
11-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Those tourist spots- I lived in NYC for years, and never went to the Empire State Bldg., and the Statue of Liberty only on a field trip. After a while, any city can get on your nerves.
Psst! Can you get me a private tour of Westminster Abbey?

lol
all the local ones around ( i live in nottingham ) i went to with school , ive since returned to take my kids .
the same with london i spent a few summer hols there when younger ( uncle lived there ) . i took my kids there a couple of years ago but they weren't impressed at all , just kept complaining about all the walking and well just about everything they could complain about . the scary thing was a week to the day later the bombs went off .

dan
11-07-2007, 06:35 PM
That is scary, mrg, I'm glad your family was okay.

I've always wanted to take an extended trip to Europe, visit London, Paris, Venice, maybe a city or two in the Netherlands ;). Someday....

mrg666
11-08-2007, 02:06 AM
That is scary, mrg, I'm glad your family was okay.

I've always wanted to take an extended trip to Europe, visit London, Paris, Venice, maybe a city or two in the Netherlands ;). Someday....

considering how close i am to mainland europe ive only been to france , belgium , spain , italy , germany the latter two on school trips .
france i don't like at all. the majority of frogs hear a british accent and thats it ,no englaise american accents are better responded to other than that it's a nice place .

dan
11-08-2007, 05:54 AM
considering how close i am to mainland europe ive only been to france , belgium , spain , italy , germany the latter two on school trips .
france i don't like at all. the majority of frogs hear a british accent and thats it ,no englaise american accents are better responded to other than that it's a nice place .

I'd like to visit Germany, too, I guess, maybe look up my ancestors, or try to anyway.

That surprises me about France. Not that they're bastards, but that they respond better to Americans than Brits.

diuretic
11-08-2007, 06:08 AM
I'd like to visit Germany, too, I guess, maybe look up my ancestors, or try to anyway.

That surprises me about France. Not that they're bastards, but that they respond better to Americans than Brits.

The French are still pissed off about Agincourt :laugh2:

dan
11-08-2007, 07:56 AM
The French are still pissed off about Agincourt :laugh2:

So pissed off they haven't showered since then out of protest!

diuretic
11-08-2007, 09:06 PM
So pissed off they haven't showered since then out of protest!

Noooo, wrong way around - I've been on the London Underground many, many times and the Paris Metro a few times. Actualy on the Underground it was a phew times - really, some people don't bathe and when they're strap-hanging.........:(