PDA

View Full Version : HYPOTHETICAL: America, Canada & Mexico Are To Be One Nation, How Can This Work?

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 02:07 AM
So, hypothetically, America, Canada and Mexico are going to become one nation, and it is up to you to make the rules. What would they be?

I've been thinking about this, and the more I think about it, the more undecided I am. Who would be in control of it all? By what laws would we live? What would we use as currency? Would it make us stronger or weaker?

PostmodernProphet
11-08-2007, 08:23 AM
the first thing you would have to figure out is whether to make Quebec a "reservation".....

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 08:38 AM
I think it'll happen at some point. Bush has been secretly pushing for it during his whole presidency. It's called the North American Union. (http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=14965) But wow, what a logistics problem it would be. I can see where there's a lot of good things that could become of it, and bad, and I don't think you'd ever convince the old timers like me to do it. It's just too big of a change. Younger people will probably think it's a good idea.

glockmail
11-08-2007, 08:55 AM
It would suck. Mainly because there is so much blatent corruption in Mexico it makes the Clinton Administration look like a bunch of Boy Scouts. Plus Molsons would then be a domestic beer, which would automatically make it less marketable.

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 09:19 AM
It would suck. Mainly because there is so much blatent corruption in Mexico it makes the Clinton Administration look like a bunch of Boy Scouts. Plus Molsons would then be a domestic beer, which would automatically make it less marketable.

The corruption in Mexico obviously is one of the major down falls. That right there is reason enough for it never to happen, because a clean up is probably never going to happen. Although, bush doesn't seem to give a shit about that. He's still pushing for it.

I like Molson Golden Ale. I'd drink it either way... :beer:

theHawk
11-08-2007, 09:28 AM
So, hypothetically, America, Canada and Mexico are going to become one nation, and it is up to you to make the rules. What would they be?

I've been thinking about this, and the more I think about it, the more undecided I am. Who would be in control of it all? By what laws would we live? What would we use as currency? Would it make us stronger or weaker?

I'd move to Australia. :laugh2:

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 09:34 AM
I'd move to Australia. :laugh2:

Too many flies.

glockmail
11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
The corruption in Mexico obviously is one of the major down falls. That right there is reason enough for it never to happen, because a clean up is probably never going to happen. Although, bush doesn't seem to give a shit about that. He's still pushing for it.

I like Molson Golden Ale. I'd drink it either way... :beer:

I'm not an MGA drinker, but I think their lager is very good. Their best variety was Molson Dry, which I have been unable to get going on 11 or so years now.

Hagbard Celine
11-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Our country's name is "THE UNITED STATES" not "Americuh."
http://static.flickr.com/99/296435684_cbe0593eea_o.jpg
See what it says there on the desk? Notice anything missing? That's because our country's name isn't "Americuh." That's the continent we live on. How would you feel if Canada started calling itself "Canada of America?" You'd think they were toolbags. Well guess what?

PostmodernProphet
11-08-2007, 11:03 AM
How would you feel if Canada started calling itself "Canada of America?"

how about the United Provinces of America.....being from Michigan we are already familiar with upas!

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Our country's name is "THE UNITED STATES" not "Americuh."

See what it says there on the desk? Notice anything missing? That's because our country's name isn't "Americuh." That's the continent we live on. How would you feel if Canada started calling itself "Canada of America?" You'd think they were toolbags. Well guess what?

Is this your new crusade? To see to it that people stop saying they live in America? Go for it. Kind of silly but I understand. I don't like people to say illegal immigrant, because you can't be illegal and an immigrant. Immigrants are poeple here legally, not illegally.

Hagbard Celine
11-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Is this your new crusade? To see to it that people stop saying they live in America? Go for it. Kind of silly but I understand. I don't like people to say illegal immigrant, because you can't be illegal and an immigrant. Immigrants are poeple here legally, not illegally.

I know it's semantics, but it irks me. Even the President says it, but it's technically wrong. It's a pet peeve I guess.

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I know it's semantics, but it irks me. Even the President says it, but it's technically wrong. It's a pet peeve I guess.

They've been doing it for a looooooong time hag. You picked something that's going to irk you for quite some time to come I'm afraid.

jackass
11-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Ok....but where are we located??? In AmeriCUH......so we are the United States OF America. Get it? Its not that hard to grasp. Good.

The full name of the country was first used officially in the Declaration of Independence, which was the "unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America" adopted by the "Representatives of the united States of America" on July 4, 1776.[9] The current name was finalized on November 15, 1777, when the Second Continental Congress adopted the Articles of Confederation, the first of which states, "The Stile of this Confederacy shall be 'The United States of America.'"

Hagbard Celine
11-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Ok....but where are we located??? In AmeriCUH......so we are the United States OF America. Get it? Its not that hard to grasp. Good.

The full name of the country was first used officially in the Declaration of Independence, which was the "unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America" adopted by the "Representatives of the united States of America" on July 4, 1776.[9] The current name was finalized on November 15, 1777, when the Second Continental Congress adopted the Articles of Confederation, the first of which states, "The Stile of this Confederacy shall be 'The United States of America.'"

Yes, "of America." It refers to our geographic location. It's not our name. Our country's name is "The United States." Yes, we live on the continent of North America. But Canadians, Mexicans, Panamanians, even Cubans could also call themselves Americans and be technically correct.

Said1
11-08-2007, 01:25 PM
the first thing you would have to figure out is whether to make Quebec a "reservation".....

Most of what is good about Quebec already belongs to several reservations. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
11-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Why do we need Canada? We've already got Neil Young and the Stanley Cup. And you know the Quebec people are not going to want to learn English.
Instead, let's give Alaska to Canada. We don't need anymore ice anyway.

Hobbit
11-08-2007, 02:13 PM
1. We're the only country in this entire hemisphere with the capability of extending our power beyond our own borders, criminal aliens notwithstanding (after all, we could stop that if the people in charge had any desire to). We're also the only country over here besides Canada with nukes, and nobody really takes Canada seriously. The only reason "United States of America" isn't on the U.N. placeholder is because they're too cheap to give us one big enough to hold the entire name and we're too awesome to abbreviate, like the U.S.S.R. (or C.C.C.P.) did. We're the biggest. We're the baddest, and if we want to be America, we can do it if we want, because who's going to stop us? Besides, I think I'll stick with the name that's on our Constitution.

...to ordain and establish this constitution for the United States of America.

Besides, the EU calls itself the European Union even though they only don't cover all of Europe. It should just be 'Union' according to your logic, because calling it the 'European Union' would be like China calling itself 'Asian China,' right?

2. If I was in charge of forming a new North American Union with Mexico, Canada, and the United States of America, here are my rules.

a) Both other countries defer to the United States of America. Canadian citizens come here in droves for health care and Mexican citizens come here in droves for...well...everything. I think we can easily see which country is better. America wins.

b) We clean up Mexico, and they pay for it. The place is a craphole and too much American treasure has already gone to that cesspool. Either they clean up or they don't get in, and we'll put up a wall so high that they can't even see the sky over American soil.

c) Actually, those are my main two concerns. I may think of more, though.

d) Edit: Oh yeah, and everybody has to know English. You're allowed to speak other languages, but you're required to be capable of speaking and understanding English.

Hagbard Celine
11-08-2007, 02:20 PM
1. We're the only country in this entire hemisphere with the capability of extending our power beyond our own borders, criminal aliens notwithstanding (after all, we could stop that if the people in charge had any desire to). We're also the only country over here besides Canada with nukes, and nobody really takes Canada seriously. The only reason "United States of America" isn't on the U.N. placeholder is because they're too cheap to give us one big enough to hold the entire name and we're too awesome to abbreviate, like the U.S.S.R. (or C.C.C.P.) did. We're the biggest. We're the baddest, and if we want to be America, we can do it if we want, because who's going to stop us? Besides, I think I'll stick with the name that's on our Constitution.

Besides, the EU calls itself the European Union even though they only don't cover all of Europe. It should just be 'Union' according to your logic, because calling it the 'European Union' would be like China calling itself 'Asian China,' right?

2. If I was in charge of forming a new North American Union with Mexico, Canada, and the United States of America, here are my rules.

a) Both other countries defer to the United States of America. Canadian citizens come here in droves for health care and Mexican citizens come here in droves for...well...everything. I think we can easily see which country is better. America wins.

b) We clean up Mexico, and they pay for it. The place is a craphole and too much American treasure has already gone to that cesspool. Either they clean up or they don't get in, and we'll put up a wall so high that they can't even see the sky over American soil.

d) Edit: Oh yeah, and everybody has to know English. You're allowed to speak other languages, but you're required to be capable of speaking and understanding English.
When a European refers to his country, he calls it by its name e.g. "Deutschland," "Belgium," "Italy," etc. He doesn't call it "Europe." Our country's name is THE UNITED STATES. The "of America" refers to our geographic location. End of story. Americuuuuuh... Duuuuuhhhh.

jackass
11-08-2007, 03:10 PM
When a European refers to his country, he calls it by its name e.g. "Deutschland," "Belgium," "Italy," etc. He doesn't call it "Europe." Our country's name is THE UNITED STATES. The "of America" refers to our geographic location. End of story. Americuuuuuh... Duuuuuhhhh.

Im not sure what history book you read but where do you get that our name is officially Unites States?? I for one cant find a single reference for that being our official name.

OFFICIAL NAME: United States of America
CAPITAL: Washington DC
SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT: Federal Multiparty Republic
AREA: 9,372,608 Sq Km (3,618,784 Sq Mi)

http://www.atlapedia.com/online/countries/unitedst.htm

Official name: United States of America
Capital: name: Washington, DC
geographic coordinates: 38 53 N, 77 02 W
time difference: UTC-5 (during Standard Time)
daylight saving time: +1hr, begins second Sunday in March; ends first Sunday in November
note: the US is divided into six time zones
http://www.geographyiq.com/countries/us/United_States_map_flag_geography.htm

General Information on the United States
Official Name: United States of America
Capital: Washington, D.C. (Current local time)
Government Type: Constitution-based federal republic
Chief of State: George W. Bush, President
Population: 301.1 million
Area: 3.79 million square miles
Languages: English
Literacy: Total population: 99%
GDP Per Capita: $43,800
Year of Independence: 1776
Web site: Usa.gov

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/unitedstates/index.html?inline=nyt-geo

Just to name a few...

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Why do we need Canada? We've already got Neil Young and the Stanley Cup. And you know the Quebec people are not going to want to learn English.
Instead, let's give Alaska to Canada. We don't need anymore ice anyway.

I don't think the people of Quebec need to think about learning English, it would be a better idea for them to start learning Spanish.

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 04:46 PM

I like it. Canada and Mexico have to start living under our laws and our constitution. We then commit the Mexican, American and Canadian armies to cleaning up the corruption in Mexico, because actually, Mexico is a very rich nation, and quite beautiful, and after the corruption has been cleaned out, I no doubt will want to winter down there, somewhere different every year, starting with Acapulco.

Said1
11-08-2007, 05:17 PM
I think it's a terrible idea. The last thing Canada is equipped for is a rapidly growing population, destroying what's left of our arable land with urban sprawl, box stores and strip malls. Canada is over populated as it is.

Said1
11-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't think the people of Quebec need to think about learning English, it would be a better idea for them to start learning Spanish.

Ha. Like that'll ever happen. When you think of Quebecers, think of the Europeans and their 'culture'. Send them packing to France. They'll assimilate nicely.

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 05:23 PM
I think it's a terrible idea. The last thing Canada is equipped for is a rapidly growing population, destroying what's left of our arable land with urban sprawl, box stores and strip malls. Canada is over populated as it is.

aaaaahHA! An isolationist! But we Americans are wrong for wanting the illegal aliens deported from our country.

Said1
11-08-2007, 05:38 PM
aaaaahHA! An isolationist! But we Americans are wrong for wanting the illegal aliens deported from our country.

I don't see how anyone would have a problem with deporting people who are in any country illegally. Everyone else with the same story had to go through the proper channels.

With respect to my original post.....look at what happened to that mother in Calgary who couldn't get a hospital bed? That is not a unique problem, since we're a VERY transient society. Our economies are based in a few centers, so people flock there in droves when there is a boom happening in one end of the country - housing and hospital beds become big problems. The population of Alberta increased by something insane like 50k in the last yr alone! Alberta has two major cities, that's it. A combined population of both cities probaly does not (or did not) equate to that of Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver. So, with only a few large cores, spread over the entire country, imagine that type of growth, in smaller provincial cities, at the same time? :eek:

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I don't see how anyone would have a problem with deporting people who are in any country illegally. Everyone else with the same story had to go through the proper channels.

With respect to my original post.....look at what happened to that mother in Calgary who couldn't get a hospital bed? That is not a unique problem, since we're a VERY transient society. Our economies are based in a few centers, so people flock there in droves when there is a boom happening in one end of the country - housing and hospital beds become big problems. The population of Alberta increased by something insane like 50k in the last yr alone! Alberta has two major cities, that's it. A combined population of both cities probaly does not (or did not) equate to that of Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver. So, with only a few large cores, spread over the entire country, imagine that type of growth, in smaller provincial cities, at the same time? :eek:

I was just jerking your chain said1. I didn't mean to tick you off.

Said1
11-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I was just jerking your chain said1. I didn't mean to tick you off.

I know you were, and you didn't. I find population dispersment interesting, moreso in countries like Canada and Austraila - low populations, lots of useless land. :laugh2:

Yurt
11-08-2007, 06:04 PM

Are you talking about a union or one country with one central federal government?

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 06:07 PM
I know you were, and you didn't. I find population dispersment interesting, moreso in countries like Canada and Austraila - low populations, lots of useless land. :laugh2:

I wouldn't say Canada had lots of useless land. It's a sportsmen's paradise.

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Are you talking about a union or one country with one central federal government?

A union. What President Bush has been very quietly pushing ever since he was sworn in.

http://www.stopthenorthamericanunion.com/

Said1
11-08-2007, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't say Canada had lots of useless land. It's a sportsmen's paradise.

Yep. You haven't lived until you've eaten cariboo stew or buffalo meatloaf. :cool:

I'm a city kid. I've never been hunting, neither have the men folk in my family - with the exception of my step-father, who was beratted big time for it! He was raised on a farm for heavens sake!

Said1
11-08-2007, 06:15 PM
A union. What President Bush has been very quietly pushing ever since he was sworn in.

Similar goals as the EU originally intended, but have obviously strayed very from the path.

Yurt
11-08-2007, 06:15 PM

absolutely not. nothing shall subvert our constitution. like england, i would not put this country under some "union" constitution. further, the EU works for the most part because the countries are fairly equal in terms of economies, freedoms, etc. this is why turkey is not being readily admitted, because it would unbalance the union. if the US wants a union, it might work with canada, but not with mexico. that country is so far below this country in terms of economy, freedoms and the type of government that we are that it would never work.

canada is unnecessary because we are basically a virtual union anyways. if mexico had it's act together more, then maybe. but now, no way, no how

Hagbard Celine
11-08-2007, 06:22 PM
absolutely not. nothing shall subvert our constitution. like england, i would not put this country under some "union" constitution. further, the EU works for the most part because the countries are fairly equal in terms of economies, freedoms, etc. this is why turkey is not being readily admitted, because it would unbalance the union. if the US wants a union, it might work with canada, but not with mexico. that country is so far below this country in terms of economy, freedoms and the type of government that we are that it would never work.

canada is unnecessary because we are basically a virtual union anyways. if mexico had it's act together more, then maybe. but now, no way, no how

Nothing SHALL... :lol: :laugh: Okay! Whatever you say Captain Constitution! Haha.

Yurt
11-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Nothing SHALL... :lol: :laugh: Okay! Whatever you say Captain Constitution! Haha.

semantics are for adults, tricks are for kids, go outside and play.

Hagbard Celine
11-08-2007, 06:31 PM
semantics are for adults, tricks are for kids, go outside and play.

Have at thee foul brute! I shall take your wager and throweth down my own gauntlet! :dance:

Trigg
11-08-2007, 07:30 PM

You better start yelling at the Europeans also then, because everytime I've been over there they ask "are you American?".