PDA

View Full Version : Furnace repair

Cheyenne
11-08-2007, 12:03 PM
My furnace went out. I put on a new thermostat hoping that was the problem. It wasn't.
I think it might need a thermocouple. I have a pilot light, the blower works, just no heat. Can I do this without blowing up my house??? I have no idea where to start. Or should I just call someone?

Pale Rider
11-09-2007, 12:47 AM
My furnace went out. I put on a new thermostat hoping that was the problem. It wasn't.
I think it might need a thermocouple. I have a pilot light, the blower works, just no heat. Can I do this without blowing up my house??? I have no idea where to start. Or should I just call someone?

I would highly recommend you call someone. Natural gas is NOT something you want to experiment with.

Cheyenne
11-09-2007, 01:12 AM
I would highly recommend you call someone. Natural gas is NOT something you want to experiment with.

I was afraid that would be the answer.
Thanks.

Pale Rider
11-09-2007, 05:29 AM
I was afraid that would be the answer.
Thanks.

I used to own my own business called the House Doctor, and when it came to messing with old, dirty, natural gas furnaces, most often I would call in an HVAC guy. It's just the safe thing to do. You could level your house and kill people with one mistake.

Mr. P
11-09-2007, 10:28 AM

If you have a pilot the problem is not the thermocouple. From what you describe I'd say It's an electrical component of the furnace (in the brain box) that commands gas to the burner. Of course that's based on limited information and there are several components in this box that control the gas flow to the burner.

If you have no clue call someone and hope for the best.

Cheyenne
11-09-2007, 10:57 AM
If you have a pilot the problem is not the thermocouple. From what you describe I'd say It's an electrical component of the furnace (in the brain box) that commands gas to the burner. Of course that's based on limited information and there are several components in this box that control the gas flow to the burner.

If you have no clue call someone and hope for the best.Thank you Mr. P. At least that gives me something to go on. I wondered if it could be the ignition.
Someone was called; he didn't call back. I'll keep looking.

Mr. P
11-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Thank you Mr. P. At least that gives me something to go on. I wondered if it could be the ignition.
Someone was called; he didn't call back. I'll keep looking.

This could be a bad gas control valve too. How old is the unit?

Hagbard Celine
11-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Go electric!

Cheyenne
11-09-2007, 11:38 AM
This could be a bad gas control valve too. How old is the unit?It doesn't appear to be r-e-a-l-l-y old, but I've been here about 13 years. I'd say it was about new, then. It's been gone over a couple of times during these years.
It's a Lennox but so far haven't found the model number.

How could it be a bad valve if it's getting gas for the pilot?

Mr. P
11-09-2007, 12:34 PM
It doesn't appear to be r-e-a-l-l-y old, but I've been here about 13 years. I'd say it was about new, then. It's been gone over a couple of times during these years.
It's a Lennox but so far haven't found the model number.

How could it be a bad valve if it's getting gas for the pilot?

Separate port and valve for the burner vs the pilot (all in one unit though) as I understand it. Hope for electrical that's way cheaper than a new gas control.

Cheyenne
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Separate port and valve for the burner vs the pilot (all in one unit though) as I understand it. Hope for electrical that's way cheaper than a new gas control.
Thanks Mr. P.

Mr. P
11-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Hey...how did this turn out?