PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Posts Gay-Welcoming Street Markers in Center City

stephanie
11-10-2007, 04:25 PM
HUH???

by KYW's John McDevitt

A dedication ceremony was held Wednesday afternoon to unveil street signs to define Philadelphia's famed "gayborhood."

Singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," a group of about 100 gathered at the corner of 13th and Locust Streets, in the Washington West neighborhood, where one of 36 discreet rainbow signs were unveiled. The sign is the same size as the Locust Street sign and fastened directly beneath it.

Tami Sortman is president of the Philadelphia Gay Tourism Caucus:

"Philadelphia four years ago started a gay-friendly campaign here to bring gay travelers into the city, and we felt that it was really important for these gay travelers to know when they are in the 'gayborhood' area. I live right here, just a block away, and I get people asking, 'Am I in the gayborhood yet?' "

The new signs are being erected between Broad and 11th, Chestnut to Pine Streets.
http://www.kyw1060.com/pages/365868.php?contentType=4&contentId=421783

REDWHITEBLUE2
11-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Well philadelphia is called the city of brotherly love. maybe now they will change it to the city of gay love

actsnoblemartin
11-10-2007, 06:45 PM
or the city of brotherly on the down low

Well philadelphia is called the city of brotherly love. maybe now they will change it to the city of gay love

82Marine89
11-10-2007, 06:46 PM
HUH???

by KYW's John McDevitt

A dedication ceremony was held Wednesday afternoon to unveil street signs to define Philadelphia's famed "gayborhood."

Singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," a group of about 100 gathered at the corner of 13th and Locust Streets, in the Washington West neighborhood, where one of 36 discreet rainbow signs were unveiled. The sign is the same size as the Locust Street sign and fastened directly beneath it.

"Philadelphia four years ago started a gay-friendly campaign here to bring gay travelers into the city, and we felt that it was really important for these gay travelers to know when they are in the 'gayborhood' area. I live right here, just a block away, and I get people asking, 'Am I in the gayborhood yet?' "

The new signs are being erected between Broad and 11th, Chestnut to Pine Streets.

All the houses only have back doors.

actsnoblemartin
11-10-2007, 06:47 PM
and the door knobs are shaped like male anatomy

All the houses only have back doors.

Hugh Lincoln
11-10-2007, 08:57 PM
So it's OK to have a special neighborhood just for homosexuals.

How about Christians? Gonna mark their territory with little crosses?

Didn't think so.

11-11-2007, 03:19 AM
im so freaking sick of Mayor Street and his gay agenda for this freaking city. We have a murder rate of nearly 400 people this year and he is worried about marking the gay neighborhoods. great. simply great.

So glad that sick man is out of office in a few months. it cant come too soon.

bullypulpit
11-11-2007, 08:08 AM
HUH???

by KYW's John McDevitt

And this is a bad thing exactly why?

Pale Rider
11-11-2007, 12:39 PM
So now we have GOVERNMENT SPONSORED HOMOSEXUALITY! And the left has the BALLS to deny there's NO HOMO AGENDA... BULL FUCKING SHIT!!!

WHERE THE HELL IS THE ACLU???!!!

LiberalNation
11-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Looks like tourism promo thing more than anything. Trying to bring money to the city by attracting a specific group of people. Seems kind of silly to me but whatever floats there boats.

GOVERNMENT SPONSORED HOMOSEXUALITY
Where???

Abbey Marie
11-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Who is paying for these signs? Taxpayers?

LiberalNation
11-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Possible but then a private group was probably pushing this and paid for the signs to get them up.

bullypulpit
11-11-2007, 01:09 PM
There is no "homo agenda" save those arising in the minds of those who are already insecure about their sexuality.

Pale Rider
11-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Possible but then a private group was probably pushing this and paid for the signs to get them up.

If the city paid for the signs, then it's government sponsored homosexuality. If not, then who cares.

manu1959
11-11-2007, 01:42 PM
And this is a bad thing exactly why?

and it is a good thing how?

thought they wanted the same rights as everyone else no more no less....

bullypulpit
11-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Looks like someone is abusing their administrator priviledges. My posts above were replaced by some not so clever one liners by someone other than myself. So, I restored them absent the posts quoted, as best as I could from memory.

darin
11-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Looks like someone is abusing their administrator priviledges. My posts above were replaced by some not so clever one liners by someone other than myself. So, I restored them absent the posts quoted, as best as I could from memory.

Banned from thread.

If you or anyone wants to complain about moderators removing blatant flames or insults, do so via PM.