PDA

View Full Version : *Does Your Taste In Music Guide Your Political Viewpoint?*

chesswarsnow
11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. But does it?
2. My study says its true, the suckery music you listen too the more likely a Neoliberal you are to become.
3. Neoliberals are self hating folks, scared, hate filled, this reflects some music sounds as well.
4. My study states, that the more you like grunge, rap, and other crappy music, the more likely you are to become, or are now a Neoliberal.
5. Food for thought.:coffee:
6. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Hagbard Celine
11-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Not unless you're dim-witted enough to listen to Toby Keith.

hjmick
11-12-2007, 10:58 AM
No.

gabosaurus
11-12-2007, 12:19 PM
This is one of the most stupid, preposterous ideas I have ever read.
In other words, a typical cheese whiz thread.

Pale Rider
11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But does it?
2. My study says its true, the suckery music you listen too the more likely a Neoliberal you are to become.
3. Neoliberals are self hating folks, scared, hate filled, this reflects some music sounds as well.
4. My study states, that the more you like grunge, rap, and other crappy music, the more likely you are to become, or are now a Neoliberal.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Well cwn... all you got so far is insults and vitriol from neoliberals... I think you may be on to something.

darin
11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
I think you have it backwards - Music is influenced by political leaning. Case in point: i like country music because it re-enforces things I hold dear: Freedom, guns, Hot chicks, A few beers, Family, and kickin-ass. :)

I like R&B because it re-enforces OTHER things I hold dear: Sweet, sweet lovin', good times with my signifigant (but impure, according to Gabby) other, dancin', and what-not.

I like some grunge and rap, though - because it's just good music. When I'm in a grunge mode, I take a few days between showers, wear flannel, and veg-out. When I'm into Rap it's a sunny friday and I'm on the way home from work with my car stereo volume set on "30" causing my car to sound like it's got empty cans in the trunk. (need dynamat).

etc..

Liberals like whatever music re-enforces their ideas of thought-control, statism, communism, and hate for the poor. Often those songs span many genres, however.

hjmick
11-12-2007, 12:32 PM
This is one of the most stupid, preposterous ideas I have ever read.
In other words, a typical cheese whiz thread.

It would require an incredibly simple mind to be influenced by the music one listens to. Simple or twisted.

Hagbard Celine
11-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I listened to that Toby Keith song about boots in asses and the American way and I instantly registered with the Republican party. It changed my mind man!

Gaffer
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM
I like Irish drinking songs meself.

Abbey Marie
11-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I listened to that Toby Keith song about boots in asses and the American way and I instantly registered with the Republican party. It changed my mind man!

Stop toying with us, Hag! :laugh2:

gabosaurus
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Let's take Cat Stevens, for example. The ultimate mellow folk balladeer. No one could be more of a quiet peaceful person than Cat Stevens.
Only now, since he has embraced Islam, Cat Stevens is a terrorist freedom hater. How does that make sense. The dude who composed "Moonshadow" and "Peace Train"? Come on!

My musical tastes are a product of my upbringing, not my political orientation.
My dad was a metalhead and an original punk, so I enjoy that stuff.
My mom enjoys the quieter stuff from the 60s and 70s, so I have heard all that.
My first college roommate introduced me to European gothic rock.
My best friend Lauren got me hooked on a lot of Europop, which can be quite addicting.
My husband prefers classic rock, the old 70s and 80s band, so I listen to a ton of that.

Stuff that I don't care for -- new country, rap, jazz and 50's type stuff. The old country stuff I can tolerate.

Guernicaa
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
It sort of does. A lot of the people I listen to just happen to be liberal. I don't seek out liberal musicians.

"Icky Thump"...Yes..The White Stripes

Well, Americans:
What, nothin' better to do?
Why don't you kick yourself out?
You're an immigrant too.

Who's usin' who?
What should we do?
Well you can't be a pimp
And a prostitute too

I like some Green Day:
"Jesus Of Suburbia"

I'm the son of rage and love,
The Jesus of suburbia,
From the bible of "none of the above",
On a steady diet of soda pop and ritalin,
No one ever died for my sins in hell,
As far as I can tell,
At least the ones I got away with

Morrissey on Bush:

It does not need to be said yet again, but Bush has single-handedly turned the United States into the most neurotic and terror-obsessed country on the planet. For non-Americans, the United States is suddenly not a very nice place to visit because US immigration officers — under the rules of Bush — now conduct themselves with all the charm and unanswerable indignation of Hitler’s SS. Please bring sanity and intelligence back to the United States. Don’t forget to vote. Vote for John Kerry and get rid of George Bush!.[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrissey

"B.Y.O.B"..System of a Down

Why don't presidents fight the war?
Why do they always send the poor?

Hangers sitting dripped in oil
Crying freedom
Handed to obsoletion
Still you feed us lies from the tablecloth

diuretic
11-12-2007, 04:44 PM

Um - apart from his jingoistic songs, yes, I listen to Toby Keith. :coffee:

manu1959
11-12-2007, 04:45 PM
wow....i should be a raving liberal given my taste in music.......

diuretic
11-12-2007, 04:47 PM

That's one of Tobe's songs I don't like, it's jingoistic and arrogance. But then there's "Look at me Now" with a hilarious video clip. Anyway he has written some great songs and he has a really good voice and as I say, apart from his flag-waving songs, I like his music. The first cd of his I bought was"Blue Moon".

diuretic
11-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Chess - interesting idea which made an interesting thread.

My musical tastes are a bit eclectic. I don't necessarily align my musical tastes with my political views BUT I do like Billy Bragg, his music and his lyrics, which means I like to listen to his leftist views. I also like the anthem of the Soviet Union and have several versions of it on mp3 - equal favourites are the Red Army Choir and Paul Robeson; that keen on the Bolshoi Chorus version. I also like some 8-bit music. That's pretty apolitical I would think. And come to think of it I like the old sixties protest songs. But I also like heaps of other music so I still think the music comes first, the message doesn't drive my fondness for a song.

hjmick
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Chess - interesting idea which made an interesting thread.

My musical tastes are a bit eclectic. I don't necessarily align my musical tastes with my political views BUT I do like Billy Bragg, his music and his lyrics, which means I like to listen to his leftist views. I also like the anthem of the Soviet Union and have several versions of it on mp3 - equal favourites are the Red Army Choir and Paul Robeson; that keen on the Bolshoi Chorus version. I also like some 8-bit music. That's pretty apolitical I would think. And come to think of it I like the old sixties protest songs. But I also like heaps of other music so I still think the music comes first, the message doesn't drive my fondness for a song.

Commie.

:D

actsnoblemartin
11-12-2007, 05:15 PM
toby is a democrat

Said1
11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
I love all sorts of music, and am very partial to old music - all kinds. What I find most interesting about music is that it is a reflection of society at the time it was produced. The same can be said with 'old' books and crap.

Then, there is the music I like just because it's catchy and don't really know or pay attention to the words. Some music I like because the lyrics are somewhat commical or are able to caputure certain experiences or feelings I have/had. I don't think politics have a lot to do with it.

OCA
11-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But does it?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

This has to be some of the stupidest fucking shit i've ever read. I know some conservatives who listen to Cowboy Troy, what does that say about Cons dumbass?

Debating, thread starting just isn't your thing, maybe a swifter duster and a bottle of Draino would suit you better.

April15
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
So classical music means what?

Said1
11-12-2007, 07:43 PM

Some kind of sexual perversion. I couldn't even imagine the sort of person who would listen to such evil music. You make me sick!

:laugh2:

11-12-2007, 07:54 PM
It would require an incredibly simple mind to be influenced by the music one listens to. Simple or twisted.

I don't think it's as simple as you think. The fact is as much as we want to admit it we are influenced by our environment. Granted the influence may be incrimental. But the idea that multi billion dollar corporations will spend millions in 30 second advertising, yet we can listen or watch anything much longer and not have it influence us at all is a bit silly.

We get out of our brain what we put into it. If we put crap into it, we will get crap out. if we put culture, virtue, etc into it we will get the same out.

11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
To answer the original question. I really dont think my music guides my viewpoints. Although i do like some songs that reinforce my viewpoints. Like the United AbomiNations. Awesome song:)

I have a wide taste in music. my collection includes, metal, rock, some country, classical. including tons of soundtracks to movies and video games.

i dont usually care about the lyrics. its usually the instrumental parts that drive my tastes.

Pale Rider
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
wow....i should be a raving liberal given my taste in music.......

You mean they have RAP on VINYL?!

chesswarsnow
11-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Sorry bout that,

This has to be some of the stupidest fucking shit i've ever read. I know some conservatives who listen to Cowboy Troy, what does that say about Cons dumbass?

Debating, thread starting just isn't your thing, maybe a swifter duster and a bottle of Draino would suit you better.

1. The troll squirmed back in I see.
2. *The Legendary Flamer*
3. Gawd what a unsavoury title he aspires to.
4. I don't think there's any hope for you old chap.
5. Cash it in and ask for a refund.:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
11-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But my study has confirmed it.
2. One of the main reasons all you Neoliberals are Neoiberals is your music choices.
3. You need to go back when you were young, thats when your mind training began.
4. Those songs set the stage for where you have arrived now.
5. You could only effect change on your political viewpoint, if you change the radio stations.
6. Or tape, cd whatever method you listen to music.
7. Its a hard rain thats gonna fall.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Said1
11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But my study has confirmed it.
2. One of the main reasons all you Neoliberals are Neoiberals is your music choices.
3. You need to go back when you were young, thats when your mind training began.
4. Those songs set the stage for where you have arrived now.
5. You could only effect change on your political viewpoint, if you change the radio stations.
6. Or tape, cd whatever method you listen to music.
7. Its a hard rain thats gonna fall.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Yeah. Whatever.

I had a prof who used to say the same thing "You're all Liberals". He was smart, though.

Sorry if I missed, but what do you listen too...cows mooing?

diuretic
11-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Commie.

:D

That's "ex-Commie" to you mister :laugh2:

diuretic
11-12-2007, 10:20 PM

Depends.

No, I didn't mean "Depends" as in incontinence, I meant, it depends. I mean, we say "classical" music but it covers such a huge range of music. The other night I listened to all of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (Concerti? I dunno). Anyway I am not a music snob and not knowledgeable but I love Bach and baroque in general. It's my thinking music. The 3rd is my favourite with that rocking harpsichord break that goes on forever, don't know the technical terms but it's brilliant. I saw Ton Koopman playing it once, great but the bloody sound on the harpsichord was so soft it took away all the body of the music for me, bit of a shame but heck he can play a harpsichord.

diuretic
11-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Yeah. Whatever.

I had a prof who used to say the same thing "You're all Liberals". He was smart, though.

Sorry if I missed, but what do you listen too...cows mooing?

"Cows with Guns" Great song!

April15
11-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Depends.

No, I didn't mean "Depends" as in incontinence, I meant, it depends. I mean, we say "classical" music but it covers such a huge range of music. The other night I listened to all of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (Concerti? I dunno). Anyway I am not a music snob and not knowledgeable but I love Bach and baroque in general. It's my thinking music. The 3rd is my favourite with that rocking harpsichord break that goes on forever, don't know the technical terms but it's brilliant. I saw Ton Koopman playing it once, great but the bloody sound on the harpsichord was so soft it took away all the body of the music for me, bit of a shame but heck he can play a harpsichord.

I just wondered. It seems that the popular music of today has no soul in it. Of course I am not sure that what I may cross while scanning the dial is popular but it is on the airwaves. Good jazz is an oxymoron to some but there really is good jazz.