PDA

View Full Version : KMYL Radio: Calling Rapist Hispanic is 'Racist'

red states rule
11-12-2007, 12:13 PM
The PC Police is trying to make the job of the real police much harder.

With a rapist on the loose, a bunch of libs are offended the Police told the public the suspect is a - gasp - hispanic

Calling rapist a Hispanic irks radio station

Chandler police will not alter their description of the Chandler Rapist despite complaints from a Valley radio station about the department’s use of the word “Hispanic” to describe the attacker.

I think this is racial profiling,” said Mayra Nieves, vice president of programming for KMYL (1190 AM).

Nieves said Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race -- and many Hispanics are white or black. She said ethnicity should not be used when describing an attacker. Instead she said she would describe the Chandler Rapist as having “dark skin.”

But Chandler police spokesman Sgt. Rick Griner said his department will stand by its description, saying they release the details the victims give them.

“It would be irresponsible on our part to change or alter that,” he said.

Since June 2006, police said the Chandler Rapist has sexually assaulted five girls between the ages of 12 and 14 in the area around Andersen Junior High School. In each case, Griner said the attacker threatens his victims with a weapon and then sexually assaults them.

Police said another incident on Thursday could be the work of the same attacker. An intruder broke into a home in the 1600 block of West Temple Street and attacked a 15-year-old girl about 6 a.m. after her single father went to work.

The girl's two younger siblings were the only other people home at the time of the intrusion. Griner said the girl was not sexually assaulted, but he refused to say if she was touched or fondled.

He said the intruder used the same method of operation when breaking into the girl’s home, but police have not yet determined whether the case is linked to the Chandler Rapist.

Police said they have been interviewing construction workers at nearby Andersen Junior High School because three out of the five confirmed Chandler Rapist sexual assaults have occurred in the school’s attendance area.

Construction worker Juan Mendez said he was questioned for two hours Thursday starting at about 6:15 a.m., shortly after the attack. Mendez said in Spanish that he’s not angry police interrogated him, although he said police treated him with suspicion.

“I feel bad because they treated me like a delinquent,” he said.

Andersen Junior High Principal Jim Anderson said the latest victim does not attend his school because she’s of high school age, but he said the incident happened “very close to our school, within about a half to three-quarters of a mile.”

He said that’s why he continues to send safety tips home with students.

“When you walk to school or a bus stop, walk in groups,” Anderson said. “Don’t go by yourself.”

Griner said this predator does surveillance on his victims, so it’s likely he targets girls at places such as bus stops, schools and after-school activities.

Police describe the Chandler Rapist as Hispanic, 28 to 40 years old, short with a muscular build, dark hair and hazel or brown eyes. In Thursday morning’s home intrusion, the victim told police he was wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/101714

Pale Rider
11-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I think this is racial profiling,” said Mayra Nieves, vice president of programming for KMYL (1190 AM).

Nieves is a mexican, and probably a member of La Raza. Her objection is absurd and laughable.

Racial profiling? Whoever said that that was a bad thing ought to have their ass kicked.

red states rule
11-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Nieves is a mexican, and probably a member of La Raza. Her objection is absurd and laughable.

Racial profiling? Whoever said that that was a bad thing ought to have their ass kicked.

Pale, you can't make this stuff up. I am glad the Police told her to take a hike

diuretic
11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Now - from a purely practical point of view I think tagging someone like that is misleading. It's much more useful to actually describe the person. We had the same problem here, dancing around the labels until someone worked out it was useless. Now we describe a suspect as "caucasian appearance" (we used to say "European" as opposed to "Aboriginal" but when you look at the diversity of physical appearances among "Europeans" you realise the label is useless. We borrowed "caucasian" from the US and it works.

We also use the term "Mediterranean appearance". That's supposed to describe someone who is olive-skinned with black hair, brown eyes etc. Okay, fine but I saw quite a few blond(e) and red-haired Greeks in the Pelopenessus when I was there, but of course that's why we don't say "Greek" unless we know someone is a Greek (no, I'm not going to get into regional differences). To be fair we also say "Northern European" meaning the classic Nordic type, but I knew a Norwegian girl who had black hair and brown eyes and a Finnish girl who was brunette with piercing blue eyes.

Anyway, pc considerations aside, it's best to use an accurate physical description if possible an avoid misleading tags.

actsnoblemartin
11-12-2007, 05:11 PM
what a retard, her station too

The PC Police is trying to make the job of the real police much harder.

With a rapist on the loose, a bunch of libs are offended the Police told the public the suspect is a - gasp - hispanic

Calling rapist a Hispanic irks radio station

Chandler police will not alter their description of the Chandler Rapist despite complaints from a Valley radio station about the department’s use of the word “Hispanic” to describe the attacker.

Nieves said Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race -- and many Hispanics are white or black. She said ethnicity should not be used when describing an attacker. Instead she said she would describe the Chandler Rapist as having “dark skin.”

But Chandler police spokesman Sgt. Rick Griner said his department will stand by its description, saying they release the details the victims give them.

“It would be irresponsible on our part to change or alter that,” he said.

Since June 2006, police said the Chandler Rapist has sexually assaulted five girls between the ages of 12 and 14 in the area around Andersen Junior High School. In each case, Griner said the attacker threatens his victims with a weapon and then sexually assaults them.

Police said another incident on Thursday could be the work of the same attacker. An intruder broke into a home in the 1600 block of West Temple Street and attacked a 15-year-old girl about 6 a.m. after her single father went to work.

The girl's two younger siblings were the only other people home at the time of the intrusion. Griner said the girl was not sexually assaulted, but he refused to say if she was touched or fondled.

He said the intruder used the same method of operation when breaking into the girl’s home, but police have not yet determined whether the case is linked to the Chandler Rapist.

Police said they have been interviewing construction workers at nearby Andersen Junior High School because three out of the five confirmed Chandler Rapist sexual assaults have occurred in the school’s attendance area.

Construction worker Juan Mendez said he was questioned for two hours Thursday starting at about 6:15 a.m., shortly after the attack. Mendez said in Spanish that he’s not angry police interrogated him, although he said police treated him with suspicion.

“I feel bad because they treated me like a delinquent,” he said.

Andersen Junior High Principal Jim Anderson said the latest victim does not attend his school because she’s of high school age, but he said the incident happened “very close to our school, within about a half to three-quarters of a mile.”

He said that’s why he continues to send safety tips home with students.

“When you walk to school or a bus stop, walk in groups,” Anderson said. “Don’t go by yourself.”

Griner said this predator does surveillance on his victims, so it’s likely he targets girls at places such as bus stops, schools and after-school activities.

Police describe the Chandler Rapist as Hispanic, 28 to 40 years old, short with a muscular build, dark hair and hazel or brown eyes. In Thursday morning’s home intrusion, the victim told police he was wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/101714

red states rule
11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Now - from a purely practical point of view I think tagging someone like that is misleading. It's much more useful to actually describe the person. We had the same problem here, dancing around the labels until someone worked out it was useless. Now we describe a suspect as "caucasian appearance" (we used to say "European" as opposed to "Aboriginal" but when you look at the diversity of physical appearances among "Europeans" you realise the label is useless. We borrowed "caucasian" from the US and it works.

We also use the term "Mediterranean appearance". That's supposed to describe someone who is olive-skinned with black hair, brown eyes etc. Okay, fine but I saw quite a few blond(e) and red-haired Greeks in the Pelopenessus when I was there, but of course that's why we don't say "Greek" unless we know someone is a Greek (no, I'm not going to get into regional differences). To be fair we also say "Northern European" meaning the classic Nordic type, but I knew a Norwegian girl who had black hair and brown eyes and a Finnish girl who was brunette with piercing blue eyes.

Anyway, pc considerations aside, it's best to use an accurate physical description if possible an avoid misleading tags.

The suspects description from the PC Police

Male caucasion, about 6 ft something (can't offend little people), weighing between 0 and 275 lbs (can't offend fat people) who reaked of chilaquiles

There, no race mentioned.

actsnoblemartin
11-12-2007, 05:17 PM
he was a human being, would that offend anyone?

Male caucasion, about 6 ft something (can't offend little people), weighing between 0 and 275 lbs (can't offend fat people) who reaked of chilaquiles

Trigg
11-12-2007, 05:19 PM

I feel obligated to point this out, caucasion=white.

Sorry yes race was mentioned.

red states rule
11-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I feel obligated to point this out, caucasion=white.

Sorry yes race was mentioned.

I stand corrected - I blew it

Now the PC police has issued a warrent for my arrest

Trigg
11-12-2007, 05:31 PM

The reason hispanic is used is because many of the Mexicans and South Americans that come here are an Indian mix.

If say, Cameron Diaz was in trouble with the law she would just be discribed as caucasian/white. Sammy Sosa would be discribed as black.

diuretic
11-12-2007, 10:35 PM
The reason hispanic is used is because many of the Mexicans and South Americans that come here are an Indian mix.

If say, Cameron Diaz was in trouble with the law she would just be discribed as caucasian/white. Sammy Sosa would be discribed as black.

Okay thanks that makes sense. So "Hispanic" is a sort of stereotype? Do I have that right? I mean I used to really like the Cisco Kid (Duncan Renaldo) and his offsider Pancho (Leo Carillo - his father was a former Chief of the LAPD), but to me they were both stereotyped Mexicans even if Renaldo played the smooth type and Carillo played the comical sidekick (almost like Quixote and Sancho)

manu1959
11-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Okay thanks that makes sense. So "Hispanic" is a sort of stereotype? Do I have that right? I mean I used to really like the Cisco Kid (Duncan Renaldo) and his offsider Pancho (Leo Carillo - his father was a former Chief of the LAPD), but to me they were both stereotyped Mexicans even if Renaldo played the smooth type and Carillo played the comical sidekick (almost like Quixote and Sancho)

given the description of the dude what would you call him.....

diuretic
11-12-2007, 11:14 PM
given the description of the dude what would you call him.....

We usually give height, approximate weight, build, skin colour (various descriptions,"white" (or "caucasian", "olive complexion", "dark complexion", " very dark complexion" and so on.). We work on what the witness tells us. If there is a reason to specify a particular grouping (eg the suspect spoke Bahasa Indonesian) then we'll use that and say, "possibly an Indonesian, the suspect spoke Bahasa to the victim". We do use "Aboriginal appearance" if it's accurate to use it (but even then there are ranges of difference) and lately we have started to use "African". No doubt we will eventually get it down to "Somali", "Kenyan" etc as we - as a community - begin to appreciate the physical differences. We've used "Asian appearance" for a while. But I can pretty much identify Vietnamese, Han Chinese, Cambodian etc. But that's me, I did a lot of criminal investigation work back in the late 1970s in the Asian community here.

red states rule
11-13-2007, 07:13 AM
We usually give height, approximate weight, build, skin colour (various descriptions,"white" (or "caucasian", "olive complexion", "dark complexion", " very dark complexion" and so on.). We work on what the witness tells us. If there is a reason to specify a particular grouping (eg the suspect spoke Bahasa Indonesian) then we'll use that and say, "possibly an Indonesian, the suspect spoke Bahasa to the victim". We do use "Aboriginal appearance" if it's accurate to use it (but even then there are ranges of difference) and lately we have started to use "African". No doubt we will eventually get it down to "Somali", "Kenyan" etc as we - as a community - begin to appreciate the physical differences. We've used "Asian appearance" for a while. But I can pretty much identify Vietnamese, Han Chinese, Cambodian etc. But that's me, I did a lot of criminal investigation work back in the late 1970s in the Asian community here.

They should not mention if the suspect is male or female. They could be a transvestite you know.

Hobbit
11-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Hispanic is about more than skin color, which is why her assertion that 'dark-skinned' should be used is ridiculous. When I hear 'Hispanic,' that nails down several things concerning not only skin color, but facial structure, body type, and vocal ranges.

Oh, and for the foreigners among us, Hispanic is not anybody from a Spanish-speaking nation (that's called 'Latin' for some reason). It specifically refers to the people of Central and South America, Mexico, and some Caribbean isles who are descended from Spanish (or Portuguese) settlers and copper-skinned (as opposed to black) native groups, primarily the Mayans, Incas, and Aztecs.

diuretic
11-13-2007, 08:14 PM
They should not mention if the suspect is male or female. They could be a transvestite you know.

That's a good point, I suppose it could be covered with, "had trouble running in high heels" ?

diuretic
11-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Hispanic is about more than skin color, which is why her assertion that 'dark-skinned' should be used is ridiculous. When I hear 'Hispanic,' that nails down several things concerning not only skin color, but facial structure, body type, and vocal ranges.

Oh, and for the foreigners among us, Hispanic is not anybody from a Spanish-speaking nation (that's called 'Latin' for some reason). It specifically refers to the people of Central and South America, Mexico, and some Caribbean isles who are descended from Spanish (or Portuguese) settlers and copper-skinned (as opposed to black) native groups, primarily the Mayans, Incas, and Aztecs.

Here I go. I'm relatively ignorant of this so if I offend anyone - bad luck.

What's the difference between "Hispanic", "Chicano" and "Latino". I have been told by colleagues in the States that it's regional, but I think that Chicano is now no longer acceptable.

red states rule
11-13-2007, 08:42 PM
That's a good point, I suppose it could be covered with, "had trouble running in high heels" ?

Will the PC Police be ofended if the suspect had five o'clok shadow?

diuretic
11-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Will the PC Police be ofended if the suspect had five o'clok shadow?

Only if the idiot tried to hide it under powdery makeup :laugh2: