PDA

View Full Version : More rats jump off sinking GOP ship

gabosaurus
11-12-2007, 12:40 PM
You have to admire lawmakers who know that their time is past. Get out while the going is still good. Don't tarnish your legacy.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,310257,00.html

11-12-2007, 12:49 PM
so people treating themselves with prostate cancer are somehow rats jumping a ship? Its so nice to know what you think of people with cancer who disagree with you.

did you ever think that maybe people who have been in Congress for 12+ years would like to do more with their life? Maybe survive cancer?

hjmick
11-12-2007, 01:02 PM
The implication of your thread title and your commentary post would lead one to believe that the two representatives in question have grown disillusioned with their party, the truth is somewhat more mundane and personal.

While Cubin narrowly won re-election the last time around, her reasons for not seeking another term are quite reasonable:

Cubin has missed almost half her votes this year as she has been in Wyoming tending to her husband, who has been ill for many years with an unspecified immune disorder. Dr. Frederick "Fritz" Cubin has been hospitalized repeatedly in Casper this year, often in critical condition.

She has also missed votes this year following her brother's death and after she broke her foot.

"It has been an extraordinarily difficult year for our family," Cubin said in an interview last month.

As for New Jersey's Jim Saxton, said he won't seek re-election because he's being treated for prostate cancer.

"Although I intended to run in 2008 and was planning a strong campaign, developments which occurred earlier this year regarding my health have prompted me to make this decision," Saxton said.

Saxton spokesman Jeff Sagnip said Saxton was diagnosed in late spring with prostate cancer and is also being treated for chronic sciatica, a painful back and leg condition.

Saxton said he plans to serve out his current term.

"I will continue to receive medical treatment and my health care providers have indicated the prognosis is, in fact, very positive," Saxton said.

Neither of the people the article discusses mention anything about the current state of their party, both are respected by members of both parties, and both are getting out for personal reasons.

While you may believe that the GOP is a "sinking ship," the reality is quite different. Though there are obvious problems that need to be addressed, the same can be said of the Democratic party and politics in general. I've said it before and I say it again now, the GOP and the DNC are two sides of the same coin. Six of one, half dozen of another. Members of both parties are only interested in three things: getting power, keeping power, and making money from both.

If the Republican's ship is sinking, so is the ship the Democrats are sailing. The question is, who can bail the fastest?

11-12-2007, 01:23 PM
The implication of your thread title and your commentary post would lead one to believe that the two representatives in question have grown disillusioned with their party, the truth is somewhat more mundane and personal.

While Cubin narrowly won re-election the last time around, her reasons for not seeking another term are quite reasonable:

As for New Jersey's Jim Saxton, said he won't seek re-election because he's being treated for prostate cancer.

Neither of the people the article discusses mention anything about the current state of their party, both are respected by members of both parties, and both are getting out for personal reasons.

While you may believe that the GOP is a "sinking ship," the reality is quite different. Though there are obvious problems that need to be addressed, the same can be said of the Democratic party and politics in general. I've said it before and I say it again now, the GOP and the DNC are two sides of the same coin. Six of one, half dozen of another. Members of both parties are only interested in three things: getting power, keeping power, and making money from both.

If the Republican's ship is sinking, so is the ship the Democrats are sailing. The question is, who can bail the fastest?

its amazing. the Democrat ship is half underwater and rather than fix the ship or bail water all they can do is make fun of the Republican ship for springing a leak.

gabosaurus
11-12-2007, 03:33 PM
No spin and excuses, folks. Feel free to continue.

11-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Spin? The truth is spin to you?

Tell me, if your husband is sick and possibly dying are you going to be wasting time arguing a bunch of people in Washington regardless of whether you were in the majority or minority, or would you be back with your husband spending as much time as you can at home with the family?

If you had cancer would you be spending your time in Washington fighting with others or would you be spending your time with your family?

hjmick
11-12-2007, 04:02 PM

No spin, no excuses, I don't do that except to make a point. Instead, I read the article rather than read into it.

Pale Rider
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
The only spin I see is in the title of the thread.