PDA

View Full Version : Megachurches and "Christianity Lite"

gabosaurus
11-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Was reading a few articles about Joel Osteen, the minister of the country's largest megachurch in Houston. His Lakewood Church holds services in a former sports arena and draws 15,000 or so for each. He also has a book that sold over 2 million copies.
Some have problems with his message. Osteen doesn't often talk about God, the Bible or religion itself. He prefers to emphasize positivity, self esteem and personal decisions. His sermons are usually more feel good pep talks than religious messages.
Of course, Osteen doesn't forget to pass the collection plate. Which is why he travels in a private jet and stays in luxury hotels while "ministering."
Any thoughts?

darin
11-12-2007, 08:38 PM
That guy is so non-christian it's sickening.

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God will judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So, I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus. (http://deliberatesimplicity.blogspot.com/2006/10/answers.html)

theHawk
11-12-2007, 08:39 PM
If stupid people want to give their money to people like him, let em. I really have no pity for them.

manu1959
11-12-2007, 08:56 PM
nope ...... no thoughts ..... didn't even know this guy existed .... seems a lot of people like what he has to say ..... guess you could have said the same thing about jim jones.... guess i did have some thoughts:laugh2:

hjmick
11-12-2007, 09:02 PM
He holds court in the old Summit, where the Rockets and Aeros used to play. I seem to recall some controversy surrounding this guy a couple of years back.

11-12-2007, 10:19 PM
You either preach for the kingdom or for money. You don't do both.

Its clear what he is preaching for.

TheSage
11-13-2007, 08:39 AM

So all professional clergy should be forced to get day jobs? I agree.

Cheyenne
11-13-2007, 12:17 PM
While I don't particularly care for this man, nothing in this world operates without money.

Hobbit
11-13-2007, 12:34 PM
So all professional clergy should be forced to get day jobs? I agree.

Of course not. Pastoring a church is a full-time job, and pastors should receive compensation that allows them to pay the bills. However, pastors should not be pastors solely for the purpose of getting money. That's why we have investors. This guy preaches unoffensive, politically correct messages so he can get huge audiences and a collection plate the size of a 747. Given his orating skill and level of charisma, it saddens me what this guy could be doing if he really did preach for the kingdom of God.

Hagbard Celine
11-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Of course not. Pastoring a church is a full-time job, and pastors should receive compensation that allows them to pay the bills. However, pastors should not be pastors solely for the purpose of getting money. That's why we have investors. This guy preaches unoffensive, politically correct messages so he can get huge audiences and a collection plate the size of a 747. Given his orating skill and level of charisma, it saddens me what this guy could be doing if he really did preach for the kingdom of God.

So he should change his message to a negative one that teaches about the punishments of hellfire and brimstone and rebukes gays and non-Christians? Would that be about right for you?

gabosaurus
11-13-2007, 08:06 PM
He should identify himself as a motivational speaker instead of a minister. A minister spreads the word of God. This is not about compensation. It is about collecting money under false pretenses.

darin
11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
So he should change his message to a negative one that teaches about the punishments of hellfire and brimstone and rebukes gays and non-Christians? Would that be about right for you?

Dude, you are SUCH a child sometimes.

Hobbit
11-13-2007, 08:26 PM

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=714&stc=1&d=1195003575

Talking about Jesus and salvation would be a good start.

5stringJeff
11-13-2007, 08:35 PM
He should identify himself as a motivational speaker instead of a minister. A minister spreads the word of God. This is not about compensation. It is about collecting money under false pretenses.

Actually, I agree with that.

Pale Rider
11-13-2007, 10:30 PM

And that is exactly what "the Preacher", Clint Eastwood, in the movie "Pale Rider," tells old man Stockburn who is trying to bribe him... Preacher: "that's why it wouldn't work, you can't serve both God and mammon, mammon being money."

This preacher Olsteen is a charlatan. I wouldn't want to be him when he dies. I'm afraid his trip won't be "up."

Abbey Marie
11-13-2007, 11:48 PM

Excellent clarification, Gabby. :clap:

bullypulpit
11-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Was reading a few articles about Joel Osteen, the minister of the country's largest megachurch in Houston. His Lakewood Church holds services in a former sports arena and draws 15,000 or so for each. He also has a book that sold over 2 million copies.
Some have problems with his message. Osteen doesn't often talk about God, the Bible or religion itself. He prefers to emphasize positivity, self esteem and personal decisions. His sermons are usually more feel good pep talks than religious messages.
Of course, Osteen doesn't forget to pass the collection plate. Which is why he travels in a private jet and stays in luxury hotels while "ministering."
Any thoughts?

Mega-churches are nothing more than cults of personality designed to separate the gullible from their money as painlessly as possible and make them feel good about doing it.

The pastors of these churches have forgotten that they cannot serve two masters. They must choose between God or Mammon...Most, it would seem, have chosen the latter.

Yurt
11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
What exactly do you think is a "mega" church? A "single" church? What about the whole religion? Are you talking about a building? What if the religion has meetings where 50,000 people meet?

How do we know who is or is not being a conduit for God?

Many thought Christ seditious and a false prophet.

edit:

yes I know about the fruits... point still stands

darin
11-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Yurt -

It's easy. People afraid of God - of Truth - tend to avoid all organized churches. They cite things such as "...that guy asks for money!" or "That guy HAS too much money!" or "It's run by corrupt, power-hungry people!" as a thin attempt to excuse themselves from seeking God. It's a fallacy to judge the message based on the messenger. Who cares if a guy used to be a drunk and a thief; doesn't mean his preaching against those things is invalid or wrong.

Yurt
11-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Yurt -

It's easy. People afraid of God - of Truth - tend to avoid all organized churches. They cite things such as "...that guy asks for money!" or "That guy HAS too much money!" or "It's run by corrupt, power-hungry people!" as a thin attempt to excuse themselves from seeking God. It's a fallacy to judge the message based on the messenger. Who cares if a guy used to be a drunk and a thief; doesn't mean his preaching against those things is invalid or wrong.

So true. Yet they turn around and worship he whose hair we do not mention. Or the OC.