PDA

View Full Version : Obama says: Democrats dont like Evangelicals

11-13-2007, 02:44 AM
I am alittle shocked that Obama would admit that Democrats dont like Evangelicals. I didnt think there was any candidate that would say he didnt like a particular group of people. Looks like he realized he slipped up right afterwards though because he immediately paused and tried to backtrack.

Here is the question and his response. Think whatever you want about it.

Russert: "You had a group of supporters on a Bible tour in South Carolina, headed by a singer called Donnie McClurkin, who said that homosexuality was a curse, and that he had been cured by prayer. Do you believe homosexuality is a curse? Do you believe it's something that you are born gay or that you can change your behavior?"

OBAMA: I do not believe being gay or lesbian is a choice, and so I disagree with Reverend McClurkin, but understand, Tim, part of what I hope to offer as president is the ability to reach to people that I don't agree with, and the evangelical community is one where the Democratic Party, I think, we have generally seen as hostile, we haven't been reaching out to them, and I think that if we're going to make significant progress on critical issues that we face, whether it's education, or health care, or energy, or our foreign policy in this country, we've got to be able to get beyond our comfort zones and just talk to people we don't like (pause) or just talk to people we like, or people that we agree with on every single issue.

nevadamedic
11-13-2007, 03:06 AM
I am alittle shocked that Obama would admit that Democrats dont like Evangelicals. I didnt think there was any candidate that would say he didnt like a particular group of people. Looks like he realized he slipped up right afterwards though because he immediately paused and tried to backtrack.

Obama's a tool.

Immanuel
11-13-2007, 08:10 AM

I don't see the problem with what he said. The fact is he is right. Evangelicals and Democrats don't and have not gotten along on most, if any, issue in decades. It seems that what Obama was saying was that it was time to reach a right hand across the table and offer a handshake to start the talking about the differences we have.

What is the problem with that? In fact, we should have done it decades ago.

I'm not going to vote for him, but, I truly wish more politicians would get over this partisan bickering and actually do some work towards making this country better. Unfortunately, I am more inclined to think that Obama is just being a politician and saying what he thinks we want to hear.

One more thing, he didn't say that Democrats didn't like Evangelicals. He said they didn't agree. I can disagree with JohnDoe and still like her. I can disagree with TM and still like her. Dang, come to think of it... if I didn't like people that I disagree with, I would not like anyone.

Immie

Hobbit
11-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey Obama:

http://www.norcalbigdawgs.net/Gallery/albums/albun51/last_week_welcome.jpg

PostmodernProphet
11-13-2007, 02:22 PM
One more thing, he didn't say that Democrats didn't like Evangelicals. He said they didn't agree.

well, to be honest he said they viewed them as hostile, which I think tends more to the former than the latter.....

Immanuel
11-13-2007, 02:29 PM
well, to be honest he said they viewed them as hostile, which I think tends more to the former than the latter.....

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Miami Dolphins are hostile to each other, but they don't hate each other. It is an interstate rivalry but when they play each other they don't go for the throats so to speak.

The Oakland Raiders and the Denver Bronco's (especially in the 1980's) hated each other. It went beyond hostility.

But, I can see that we just draw the line in different places.

Immie

Kathianne
11-13-2007, 02:34 PM

I don't agree with Obama on perhaps any issue. However, I think what he's saying is that IF he were to win, he'd be the President of all the people, those that agree and those that don't. It's actually just a nod to reality. He's also saying, I'm reading between the lines here, that the Democratic Party in fact has been hostile to the Evangelicals, (as have I to a certain extent), and that is not a good idea for the Party.

Immanuel
11-13-2007, 02:42 PM
I don't agree with Obama on perhaps any issue. However, I think what he's saying is that IF he were to win, he'd be the President of all the people, those that agree and those that don't. It's actually just a nod to reality. He's also saying, I'm reading between the lines here, that the Democratic Party in fact has been hostile to the Evangelicals, (as have I to a certain extent), and that is not a good idea for the Party.

Now, where have I heard that one before? Uniter not a divider? ;)

Immie

Kathianne
11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Now, where have I heard that one before? Uniter not a divider? ;)

Immie

I do think GWII tried to do so, it didn't work out well for him. I don't think Obama is going to be pres, at least in 2008. If he did, probably wouldn't work for him either. :laugh2:

11-13-2007, 03:06 PM

I don't see the problem with what he said. The fact is he is right. Evangelicals and Democrats don't and have not gotten along on most, if any, issue in decades. It seems that what Obama was saying was that it was time to reach a right hand across the table and offer a handshake to start the talking about the differences we have.

What is the problem with that? In fact, we should have done it decades ago.

I'm not going to vote for him, but, I truly wish more politicians would get over this partisan bickering and actually do some work towards making this country better. Unfortunately, I am more inclined to think that Obama is just being a politician and saying what he thinks we want to hear.

One more thing, he didn't say that Democrats didn't like Evangelicals. He said they didn't agree. I can disagree with JohnDoe and still like her. I can disagree with TM and still like her. Dang, come to think of it... if I didn't like people that I disagree with, I would not like anyone.

Immie

no. he clearly said they didnt like evangelicals

we've got to be able to get beyond our comfort zones and just talk to people we don't like

Who are these people they dont like if not the evangelicals he mentioned immediately before?

Hagbard Celine
11-13-2007, 03:09 PM

Who are these people they dont like if not the evangelicals he mentioned immediately before?

Do you consider yourself an evangelical and if so, would you promise to cry big tears over the fact that Obama doesn't like you?

Immanuel
11-13-2007, 03:28 PM

Well, if you want to take that as a clear statement of "I don't like evangelicals", don't let me stop you. I am convinced it wasn't what he meant and I'm not going to stew over it. Personally, I don't like a lot of the Democrats either, but I don't hate them.

I good with, he doesn't like me. He doesn't know me. I would think that if we actually sat down and had a beer together we'd probably both like each other. Of course, I would insist on him buying the beer. ;)

Immie

11-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Do you consider yourself an evangelical and if so, would you promise to cry big tears over the fact that Obama doesn't like you?

No. simply pointing out the facts. If any Republican said such a thing about a group such as blacks or muslims, everyone would be all over him.

Obama gets a pass. and we can tell its really what he was thinking because he immediately realized he said too much and tried to backtrack.

11-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Well, if you want to take that as a clear statement of "I don't like evangelicals", don't let me stop you. I am convinced it wasn't what he meant and I'm not going to stew over it. Personally, I don't like a lot of the Democrats either, but I don't hate them.

I good with, he doesn't like me. He doesn't know me. I would think that if we actually sat down and had a beer together we'd probably both like each other. Of course, I would insist on him buying the beer. ;)

Immie

What do you mean "If I want to tak it as a clear statement" how the heck does it get any clearer than that?

Hagbard Celine
11-13-2007, 04:39 PM
No. simply pointing out the facts. If any Republican said such a thing about a group such as blacks or muslims, everyone would be all over him.

Obama gets a pass. and we can tell its really what he was thinking because he immediately realized he said too much and tried to backtrack.

Simple question. Do Democrats agree with or even like evangelicals? What's wrong with a politician telling the truth for once?

11-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Simple question. Do Democrats agree with or even like evangelicals? What's wrong with a politician telling the truth for once?

i see. Liberal democrat says they dont like someone, they are being honest. Republican says it, he is a hatemonger.

Kathianne
11-13-2007, 04:47 PM

I do think Obama came close, they do NOT like evangelicals.

Hagbard Celine
11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
i see. Liberal democrat says they dont like someone, they are being honest. Republican says it, he is a hatemonger.

You said it, not me. There's that presupposed, whiney victim mentality again.

Abbey Marie
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Imagine if Oblama said Dems didn't like Jews. Or Muslims. Or if he, say, called NYC "Hymietown".

Oh wait, The Reverend Jackson already did that. :rolleyes:

That "big tent" the Dems like to talk about is becoming a pup tent.

Hagbard Celine
11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I do think Obama came close, they do NOT like evangelicals.

That's because from the liberal viewpoint, evangelicals want to publicly and lawfully discriminate against gays, subvert scientific education in public schools, enforce prayer in government institutions and put Christian symbology all over public and government property. They stand for everything that isn't in the Constitution or a part of common sense. Atleast that's why I don't like them. Obviously I can't speak for all Democrats.

Kathianne
11-13-2007, 05:45 PM
That's because from the liberal viewpoint, evangelicals want to publicly and lawfully discriminate against gays, subvert scientific education in public schools, enforce prayer in government institutions and put Christian symbology all over public and government property. They stand for everything that isn't in the Constitution or a part of common sense. Atleast that's why I don't like them. Obviously I can't speak for all Democrats.

See Abbey's post just before yours.

Hagbard Celine
11-13-2007, 05:53 PM
See Abbey's post just before yours.

What about it? Do you want my comments on it? It's a hypothetical query. Hypothetically, if Muslims or Jews joined the political fray, basically turned their respective religions into a political party the way evangelicals have, and Obama commented on them by saying that "we dems don't like (jews/muslims)" then I'd feel the same way I feel about this. I disagree with the evangelical mindset because it unfairly discriminates against gays and it wants to put Christian ideology, symbology and methodology into our public institutions. If the Muslim and/or Jewish political movement did the same I'd fully support Obama's hypothetical statement the way I support his real one here.

Kathianne
11-13-2007, 05:56 PM
What about it? Do you want my comments on it? It's a hypothetical query. Hypothetically, if Muslims or Jews joined the political fray, basically turned their respective religions into a political party the way evangelicals have, and Obama commented on them by saying that "we dems don't like (jews/muslims)" then I'd feel the same way I feel about this. I disagree with the evangelical mindset because it unfairly discriminates against gays and it wants to put Christian ideology, symbology and methodology into our public institutions. If the Muslim and/or Jewish political movement did the same I'd fully support Obama's hypothetical statement the way I support his real one here.

Are there Christians other than Evangelicals? Are there Jews other than orthodox, Muslims that aren't orthodox?

Hagbard Celine
11-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Are there Christians other than Evangelicals? Are there Jews other than orthodox, Muslims that aren't orthodox?

Catholics aren't evangelicals. Neither are Protestants. Neither are Episcopalians.
The only orthodox jews are the ones who wear the long curls and the black hats. All the others are just plain Jews.
I'm not sure there is such a thing as orthodox Islam. I think all Muslims are the same, except of course for the crazies who think it's okay to blow themselves up. There may be sects, I don't know.
I know what you're getting at, but evangelicals are not representative of the whole of Christendom. They are a far-right wing and very politically active wing of Christianity.

Kathianne
11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Catholics aren't evangelicals. Neither are Protestants. Neither are Episcopalians. There ARE Catholics and Protestants that are evangelical, though for Catholics I do believe they are wrong, dogma wise..

The only orthodox jews are the ones who wear the long curls and the black hats. All the others are just plain Jews. This means what?

I'm not sure there is such a thing as orthodox Islam. I think all Muslims are the same, except of course for the crazies who think it's okay to blow themselves up. There may be sects, I don't know. ok, you've never heard of Sunnis, Shite?
I know what you're getting at, but evangelicals are not representative of the whole of Christendom. They are a far-right wing and very politically active wing of Christianity.[/QUOTE]So according to you, there are NO far right Catholics or Protestants? Those Jews without the curls are all karma good? All Muslims that don't have a backpack of explosives on NOW are peaceful? What exactly did you mean here HC?

Immanuel
11-13-2007, 08:03 PM
What do you mean "If I want to tak it as a clear statement" how the heck does it get any clearer than that?

Just what I said. I'm convinced it was a slip of the tongue and not a statement of "I hate evangelicals". My Lord who gives a crap anyway? Democrats have been known to disagree with evangelicals for a long time. Big deal.

If that were the only thing he had against him, then I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

I just think this thread is garbage. You are making a big deal out of nothing. This isn't about the issues. It is about him being a Democrat. I highly doubt you would have said a thing about it if it had been a Republican saying he didn't like black people or Jews. Of course, TM would have made a big deal about it.

Why even bring this up? What difference does it make?

Immie

Immanuel
11-13-2007, 08:09 PM
That "big tent" the Dems like to talk about is becoming a pup tent.

That big tent is a fallacy. It doesn't exist. For instance, Pro-lifers are not welcomed under that tent.

The left (Democrats) are no more tolerant then the right (Republicans). They like to preach their tolerance, but if you so much as breathe anything vaguely conservative, you're doomed. Just try to print something with a conservative tone on democraticunderground.com. But, truly, they are not any different than conservatives. God, help the liberal that pokes his head out of the sand and dares to speak up or the mildly conservative individual that dares to show a miniscule amount of compassion for the poor.

Immie

PostmodernProphet
11-13-2007, 09:19 PM

so tell me....are you only happy when he tells the truth about Democrats not liking evangelicals?.....or are you also happy when he tells the truth about that needing to change?......

PostmodernProphet
11-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Catholics aren't evangelicals. Neither are Protestants. Neither are Episcopalians.
The only orthodox jews are the ones who wear the long curls and the black hats. All the others are just plain Jews.
I'm not sure there is such a thing as orthodox Islam. I think all Muslims are the same, except of course for the crazies who think it's okay to blow themselves up. There may be sects, I don't know.
I know what you're getting at, but evangelicals are not representative of the whole of Christendom. They are a far-right wing and very politically active wing of Christianity.

actually, liberals have gotten that wrong for years......the far right, politically active folks are actually fundamentalists even though liberals have been calling them evangelicals for a long time.....the majority of Protestants fall into the evangelical category......

PostmodernProphet
11-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm convinced it was a slip of the tongue and not a statement of "I hate evangelicals".

well obviously Obama isn't saying HE hates evangelicals.....he is already on record saying he IS an evangelical.....

FORT DODGE -- Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama insisted Saturday that religious faith can play a central role in politics, but only if it's used to tackle moral issues and not to divide the nation.

Those moral issues, the U.S. senator from Illinois said, include fighting poverty, expanding health insurance access and ending the war in Iraq.

"Doing the Lord's work is a thread that runs through our politics since the very beginning," Obama said in a speech to United Church of Christ's Iowa conference.

"And it puts the lie to the notion that separation of church and state in America means somehow that faith should have no role in public life," Obama said.
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2007/06/17/news/iowa/8db7c1a17d2b51f9862572fd000fc9f4.txt

Hagbard Celine
11-27-2007, 03:57 PM
There ARE Catholics and Protestants that are evangelical, though for Catholics I do believe they are wrong, dogma wise.. This means what? ok, you've never heard of Sunnis, Shite?
So according to you, there are NO far right Catholics or Protestants? Those Jews without the curls are all karma good? All Muslims that don't have a backpack of explosives on NOW are peaceful? What exactly did you mean here HC?

What I'm getting at is that I'd disagree with any radical viewpoint and I'd support Obama if he spoke out against it regardless of whether it was Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Communist, Fascist, whatever.
My whole post, the one you commented on above, was meant to disprove what Kathianne asked about there not being any Christians other than evangelicals, Jews other than orthodox or Muslims other than orthodox. I admit I brain farted on the Sunnis and Shiites of Islam. But you pointing that out just further proves the point I was making :D

Abbey Marie
11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
What I'm getting at is that I'd disagree with any radical viewpoint (bold added) and I'd support Obama if he spoke out against it regardless of whether it was Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Communist, Fascist, whatever.
My whole post, the one you commented on above, was meant to disprove what Kathianne asked about there not being any Christians other than evangelicals, Jews other than orthodox or Muslims other than orthodox. I admit I brain farted on the Sunnis and Shiites of Islam. But you pointing that out just further proves the point I was making

How would you feel if a major Presidential candidate said his party doesn't like feminists? They are considered radical by many. Is that acceptable? I think your definition of radical is subjective, and if that is the case, your argument fails.

Hagbard Celine
11-27-2007, 05:45 PM
How would you feel if a major Presidential candidate said his party doesn't like feminists? They are considered radical by many. Is that acceptable? I think your definition of radical is subjective, and if that is the case, your argument fails.

I'd agree with him/her. I think "feminists" are radicals too. I think women should have the same rights as men. That's a pretty neutral statement. The definition of Radical is not subjective. I think if your opinions infringe on the rights of others and you think your opinions should be made into law and enforced on others who disagree with you then you are a radical and I'm against you. Period.