PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Deer in my yard!

JohnDoe
11-14-2007, 01:45 AM
This was about a month ago.

The deer were eating the apples from one of my apple trees! It was soooo cool...

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/deer042.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/deer044.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/deer067.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/deer063.jpg

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 01:51 AM
We get about 20 a day in my yard. I have one of them where they will take apples out of my hand. You can goto your local feed store and they should sell Deer Food. We go through about 4 bags a week.

JohnDoe
11-14-2007, 01:55 AM
What does deer feed consist of Nevada?

The most we have had in our yard is 4 at once....I have seen 6 together grazing in the meadow across the way.

jd

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 01:57 AM
What does deer feed consist of Nevada?

The most we have had in our yard is 4 at once....I have seen 6 together grazing in the meadow across the way.

jd

$8.00 a bag. It's just Oats and Corn. Also we go and buy them sweet apples.

JohnDoe
11-14-2007, 01:59 AM
I just love it here! it is like living in a National Park.... Every day, another new animal or bird to see!

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 02:02 AM
I just love it here! it is like living in a National Park.... Every day, another new animal or bird to see!

We keep getting Bears. We left our garage door open one night and it got into the Fridge and destroyed the inside ate all the food and got into two boxes of wine, apparently he likes it because it was all gone, we have an Alkie Bear.

Pale Rider
11-14-2007, 03:29 AM
We keep getting Bears. We left our garage door open one night and it got into the Fridge and destroyed the inside ate all the food and got into two boxes of wine, apparently he likes it because it was all gone, we have an Alkie Bear.

Did you hear they're thinking of starting a black bear hunting season in Nevada to thin out all the problem bears?

Pale Rider
11-14-2007, 03:30 AM
This was about a month ago.

The deer were eating the apples from one of my apple trees! It was soooo cool...

So THIS is where the John*Doe* comes from... :D

I love living out in the sticks myself, but not back east. I'm moving back up to Montana as soon as I wrap up business here in Reno. I'm moving to a nice, kind of remote, subdivision called the Shining Mountains, not thirty miles from the western entrance to Yellowstone Park, and just south of a cool little town called Ennis. Most plots are 8 to 10 acres of land, some with timber, some with a stream, some with both. Awesome. I'll be going Elk hunting with my nephew. Can't wait. Elk is the best game meat I've ever eaten. It's hard to tell it apart from beef. And an Elk is a HUGE animal. That's a lot meat for the price of an in state, big game, hunting license.

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Did you hear they're thinking of starting a black bear hunting season in Nevada to thin out all the problem bears?

It won't do much good. You can not hunt animals within city limits in Nevada unless it's self defense. I am definantly opposed to it as well because it's our fault they are coming off the mountain, we destroyed their homes with all the fires.

Pale Rider
11-14-2007, 03:47 AM
It won't do much good. You can not hunt animals within city limits in Nevada unless it's self defense. I am definantly opposed to it as well because it's our fault they are coming off the mountain, we destroyed their homes with all the fires.

Well there was a poll on the KKOH website asking locals if they would support such a season in Nevada, and it was like 56% in favor, 32% opposed, and something % didn't care. And no shit you can't hunt in town... :uhoh: Bears don't LIVE in town. They live in the forest, and yes it would thin them out. Bears have been more of a problem lately around here, because of such little rain to grow berries and such that bears love to eat, and the all the fires burning it all up. I feel sorry for the bears.

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 03:56 AM
Well there was a poll on the KKOH website asking locals if they would support such a season in Nevada, and it was like 56% in favor, 32% opposed, and something % didn't care. And no shit you can't hunt in town... :uhoh: Bears don't LIVE in town. They live in the forest, and yes it would thin them out. Bears have been more of a problem lately around here, because of such little rain to grow berries and such that bears love to eat, and the all the fires burning it all up. I feel sorry for the bears.

I will fight this one tooth and nail, it's not right. They shouldn't have to pay for our mistakes.

stephanie
11-14-2007, 05:20 AM

Every year we have a couple of bears that wander into our small town where all our itty bitty children playing happily....And when the big bad bear comes into town....

The bear hide is hung on someone's wall or laid out as a rug...:coffee:

dan
11-14-2007, 05:33 AM
And no shit you can't hunt in town... :uhoh: Bears don't LIVE in town.

What I wouldn't give for a video of Pale hunting a bear through downtown Reno!:laugh2:

stephanie
11-14-2007, 05:39 AM
What I wouldn't give for a video of Pale hunting a bear through downtown Reno!:laugh2:

:laugh2::boom2:

just kdding my friend...

stephanie
11-14-2007, 05:53 AM
I will fight this one tooth and nail, it's not right. They shouldn't have to pay for our mistakes.

You really can't be serious here???

Up here in Alaska....anybody who SURVIVES hitting a moose(and let me tell you that's a 50 50 encounter) and the moose is salvageable, the moose is distributed to families who can use the meat...
You are NOT helping a wild animal who is overpopulating an area by feeling sorry for it...all your doing is helping it die a horrible death because they don't have enough food....to survive...so then they start coming into the cities and digging out of garbage cans....

Goodness....some of you need to get out of the city's...Yes these animals are BEAUTIFUL...but once they overrun a town, they are only good for one thing........
.Sorry or if you would rather see them starve to death...I wouldn't...

glockmail
11-14-2007, 06:17 AM

Up here in Alaska....anybody who SURVIVES hitting a moose(and let me tell you that's a 50 50 encounter) and the moose is salvageable, the moose is distributed to families who can use the meat...
You are NOT helping a wild animal who is overpopulating an area by feeling sorry for it...all your doing is helping it die a horrible death because they don't have enough food....to survive...so then they start coming into the cities and digging out of garbage cans....

Goodness....some of you need to get out of the city's...

Finally some common sense. We have bears around my cabin and I'd shoot them in a NY minute if I felt threatened. My last encounter he was about 30' away and I was on the porch, about 1 am. I had a flashlight and he was hissing at me, like a big cat.

stephanie
11-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Finally some common sense. We have bears around my cabin and I'd shoot them in a NY minute if I felt threatened. My last encounter he was about 30' away and I was on the porch, about 1 am. I had a flashlight and he was hissing at me, like a big cat.

I live in a town of 350 people...I can't tell you how may bears we have killed in our town...Even a moose is dangerous if she has babies....We have alerts all the time here....

We will not kill the moma moose and her babies as long as we can chase them out of town.......... but we will kill the bears...
You can't chase them out.....they stand up to you and say......FUCK YOU....

we have LOTS of bear rugs on our walls....

KarlMarx
11-14-2007, 06:59 AM
I have deer on my front lawn some times. One night, I was out with a friend. When we pulled into the driveway, one was standing next to the car. It didn't know enough to be scared of us. Only when I got out of the car did it finally run away.

And Stephanie is right,you should not feed deer if there are already too many of them. I don't even feed birds or squirrels, not because I have something against wildlife, but birdfeeders attract vermin like rats and mice. I've had a few of them in my attic recently and spent some bucks getting rid of them.

So, unless you want rats and mice hanging around the home, don't feed birds, squirrels or anything else... because you'll be feeding the local rat and mouse population, too.

retiredman
11-14-2007, 07:37 AM
two moose were feeding in Cobbossee stream right about 100 yards upstream from the interstate bridge as I drove to work this morning!

stephanie
11-14-2007, 07:46 AM
two moose were feeding in Cobbossee stream right about 100 yards upstream from the interstate bridge as I drove to work this morning!\

And are you gonna go up and feed them a sugar cube outta you hand???

Let us us know how that turned out....:cheers2:

You city folk don't have a clue...that moose can kill you in a heartbeat...I wonder if people know about moose.???
they can kick all four of their legs in all directions......so that you don't stand a chance...

retiredman
11-14-2007, 08:05 AM
\

And are you gonna go up and feed them a sugar cube outta you hand???

Let us us know how that turned out....:cheers2:

You city folk don't have a clue...that moose can kill you in a heartbeat,,,and you all would probable deserve it...that's the stupid part about it...for how you all was killed by a little ole moose...

what a ridiculous question. I live in maine. I am hardly "city folk". I have a great deal of respect for them and drive very very carefully on rural roads all the time, and especially at night given the odd nature of moose eyes to not reflect light.

I was responding to the opening post by a lady who recently moved to maine.... and posted nice photos. I didn't have any photos of the moose I saw this morning as I don't normally drive down the interstate with my cell phone camera activated.... so I just related what I had seen...

and get this moronic and confrontational post back from you.

fuck off.:laugh2:

stephanie
11-14-2007, 08:22 AM
what a ridiculous question. I live in Maine. I am hardly "city folk". I have a great deal of respect for them and drive very very carefully on rural roads all the time, and especially at night given the odd nature of moose eyes to not reflect light.

I was responding to the opening post by a lady who recently moved to Maine.... and posted nice photos. I didn't have any photos of the moose I saw this morning as I don't normally drive down the interstate with my cell phone camera activated.... so I just related what I had seen...

and get this moronic and confrontational post back from you.

fuck off.:laugh2:
You ought to drive out in the sticks ....you can't drive CARFELLULY....our speed limit here is 65 mls per hour....we don't just slow down and OBSERSER THEM....We dodge them left and right here.....there not just observation animals...their killers
But if they don't kill us by hitting them, then thank goodness we dontat their meat to familes who can use it....not just see it rot by the side of the road.........Yuk road kill....
:laugh2:

stephanie
11-14-2007, 08:48 AM
John doe I apologize....Your pictures of the deer are beautiful and I got sidetracked by someone else's comments in this thread....I"m sorry for taking it from the beautiful pictures that you posted....they were wonderful...

My apologizes...:cheers2:

retiredman
11-14-2007, 08:54 AM
John doe I apologize....Your pictures of the deer are beautiful and I got sidetracked by someone else's comments in this thread....I"m sorry for taking it from the beautiful pictures that you posted....they were wonderful...

My apologizes...:cheers2:

my comment that I saw two moose off in a stream as I drove to work "sidetracked" you? LOL

Oh...and Maine IS the sticks.... there are moose everywhere here.... and the roads in Maine are so hilly and curvy most of the time that we don't get near speed limits like you have. I do drive carefully.... and when I see a moose ahead, I stop.

stephanie
11-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Great pictures John doe.....:clap:

Please post more......

Pale Rider
11-14-2007, 12:03 PM
I live in a town of 350 people...I can't tell you how may bears we have killed in our town...Even a moose is dangerous if she has babies....We have alerts all the time here....

We will not kill the moma moose and her babies as long as we can chase them out of town.......... but we will kill the bears...

Most of the problem bears around here are up around Lake Tahoe. But there are a couple around Carson where nm is at that wonder into town, and then a rare one once and awhile around Reno here. Bear are thick around here. It wouldn't hurt one bit to have a hunt and thin some out. I might even participate in that, although bear meat sucks. I've had it. It's tough. I'd probably just hunt for the fun of it and a bear rug.

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 01:49 PM

Goodness....some of you need to get out of the city's...Yes these animals are BEAUTIFUL...but once they overrun a town, they are only good for one thing........
.Sorry or if you would rather see them starve to death...I wouldn't...

I don't live in the city, I live on the backside of the mountains that are the Lake Tahoe Basin. I am 100% serious, they are not over populated here, they are coming down because all of their food and vegitation was destroyed by several fires over the last couple years, you should remember the one in Lake Tahoe this summer, it became a State of Emergency. That was man made, Arson to be exact. Then the waterfall fire we almost lost our house to which burnt the whole backside of the mountain that goes to tahoe(where the bears live) and that was Arson.

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 01:52 PM

Bears are scared of humans. I worked at a summer camp from the time I was 18-23 up in Chester CA, and they taught us when the bears come to camp run at them and make a lot of noise. We got them on a daily basis and we did that and they would run away. We never had to shoot a bear.

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 01:54 PM
I have deer on my front lawn some times. One night, I was out with a friend. When we pulled into the driveway, one was standing next to the car. It didn't know enough to be scared of us. Only when I got out of the car did it finally run away.

And Stephanie is right,you should not feed deer if there are already too many of them. I don't even feed birds or squirrels, not because I have something against wildlife, but birdfeeders attract vermin like rats and mice. I've had a few of them in my attic recently and spent some bucks getting rid of them.

So, unless you want rats and mice hanging around the home, don't feed birds, squirrels or anything else... because you'll be feeding the local rat and mouse population, too.

We get mice anyways, we live on over 3 acres on a mountain side..........Also the deer arn't overpopulated here at all.

Pale Rider
11-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Bears are scared of humans. I worked at a summer camp from the time I was 18-23 up in Chester CA, and they taught us when the bears come to camp run at them and make a lot of noise. We got them on a daily basis and we did that and they would run away. We never had to shoot a bear.

Black bears are mostly timid, but Brown bears and Grizzlies especially, will slap the piss out of you and don't need a real good reason to do it.

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Most of the problem bears around here are up around Lake Tahoe. But there are a couple around Carson where nm is at that wonder into town, and then a rare one once and awhile around Reno here. Bear are thick around here. It wouldn't hurt one bit to have a hunt and thin some out. I might even participate in that, although bear meat sucks. I've had it. It's tough. I'd probably just hunt for the fun of it and a bear rug.

I remember within the last year or so they had a bear make it to downtown Reno by the Silver Legacy, I have no idea how it could have gotten that far into town but I could imagine someone who's not used to being in an area with wild animals and coming face to face with a bear. :laugh2:

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Black bears are mostly timid, but Brown bears and Grizzlies especially, will slap the piss out of you and don't need a real good reason to do it.

We got brown bears up there and they would run. As far as a Grizzlie, I would run like hell or I would put my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye.

Pale Rider
11-14-2007, 02:56 PM
We got brown bears up there and they would run. As far as a Grizzlie, I would run like hell or I would put my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye.

If you surpise a Brown bear, or get around a mother with young, they will attack. Cover your face.

JohnDoe
11-20-2007, 07:04 PM
ok Stephanie, for you!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Wild Turkeys, on the way home from my doctor's appointment about 4 miles from my home, walking down a dirt road...a few had just crossed the paved road we were on, so i looked to see where they were going...had Matthew stop the car so i could get a picture of them and i realized they had joined about 20 of them!!!

If there is any way you guys can zoom in you can distinctly see a couple of Toms in there!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/moh102.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/moh100.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/moh103.jpg

Abbey Marie
11-20-2007, 08:21 PM
We saw many wild turkeys in Maine last summer. They must be having a really good year! I have pics somewhere...

MtnBiker
11-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Great pictures John Doe, I enjoyed them.

MtnBiker
11-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Feeding wild animals in my opinion is not a good idea, especially bears.

JohnDoe
11-20-2007, 10:04 PM
We saw many wild turkeys in Maine last summer. They must be having a really good year! I have pics somewhere...this past spring-early summer we had about 5 of them hanging out in the meadow across from my house, and in my next door neighbor's yard (he has 10 acres and cleared alot of it). They are so cool...

Yeah, they must be having a good year, they are everywhere...these pics were October, and quite frankly I have been hearing alot of gun fire around here this past week so who knows if these turkeys will be around come thanksgiving!!!!

Wild range turkeys are MUCH better tasting than the domestic white feathered ones!

Here is one from earlier this year Abbey, she had about 6 small chicks following her and if you look in the tall grass you can barely make out some of their heads:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/summerexploring-maine009.jpg

Abbey Marie
11-20-2007, 11:52 PM
I can't make them out, but they sound very cute. Animal mommies are often better than their human counterparts.