PDA

View Full Version : David Spade donates money to killed Phoenix police officer's family

nevadamedic
11-14-2007, 11:04 PM
A family of a slain Phoenix police officer has got US$25,000 (EUR17,700) from David Spade.

The 43-year-old comedian said that after reading about Officer Nick Erfle's death last month, he was "hit out of the blue" by the shooting and the fact that Erfle had overcome cancer to return to duty.

"I'm from Arizona so I'm always a little aware of things that are going on there," Spade told The Associated Press on Monday. "It just struck me as such a rough situation just because cops in general get kind of a bad rap lately and people forget it is the scariest job out there."

Spade, who stars on the CBS sitcom "Rules of Engagement," said he arranged for a money transfer into a bank account already established for public donations.

He has not spoken with Erfle's family or friends.

Spade said he hopes Erfle's wife was able to use the money for the funeral or other expenses. "I just thought I would throw something in the pile," he said.

Erfle, 33, was shot Sept. 18 on a busy street after attempting to arrest illegal immigrant Erik Jovani Martinez.

Besides his wife, Erfle left behind two sons, ages 5 and 3.

http://pravda.us/news/society/09-10-2007/98435-spade_donates-0

Spade’s generosity has benefited his hometown before. He recently gave $15,000 to his alma mater, Saguaro High School. This time, it took some persistence. ‘It was hard to get through. It took me a while. I finally got somebody at the bank’s voicemail and left a message,’ Spade said. ‘I just thought I would throw something in the pile.’ Erfle, 33, was fatally shot Sept. 18 on a busy Phoenix street after attempting to arrest a man with an outstanding warrant. He leaves behind a wife and two sons, ages 5 and 3. Spade has not spoken with family or friends of Erfle, but said he hopes Erfle’s wife is able to use the money for the funeral or any other expenses.”

http://www.celebitchy.com/6537/good_celebrity_david_spade_donates_25000_to_slain_ officers_family/

Damn, this restores your faith of certain celebrities. I definantly have respect for this man now.

diuretic
11-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Yes, he's done a good thing.