PDA

View Full Version : Warden Wants Satellite TV For Inmates

red states rule
11-15-2007, 08:51 AM
This is insane. Now taxpayers are to pay for satellite TV for the criminals? Why not have catered meals, and Select Comfort Sleep Number Beds for each inmate?

Georgia Prison Warden Asks for Satellite TV So Inmates Can Watch Football
Wednesday, November 14, 2007

ATLANTA — The warden of the Clayton County Correctional Institution wants permission to spend money for a "management tool" — satellite TV to keep his 226 inmates occupied watching football.

Warden Frank Taylor is asking the Clayton County Commission to let him sign up for direct-broadcast satellite service for less than $100 a month. It would be funded with money collected at the prison's commissary and pay phones, which last year amounted to $41,000.

"The reason is 'Monday Night Football' is now on cable," he said. "Although it might seem funny, when you have 90 percent of inmates watching something, it is a management tool for the institution."

Currently, he said, inmates in the prison's five dormitories only get two TV channels, often with poor reception.

Taylor asserted that every state prison already has cable or satellite television, but the Georgia Department of Corrections says that isn't so.

"Our televisions have antennas," said department spokeswoman Tracy Smith.

The Clayton County Commission will vote on Taylor's request next week.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311748,00.html

diuretic
11-15-2007, 02:18 PM
It's not insane. It's like he said, about prison management. It's another privilege that can be taken away from individuals who won't comply with prison requirements.

red states rule
11-15-2007, 02:43 PM
It's not insane. It's like he said, about prison management. It's another privilege that can be taken away from individuals who won't comply with prison requirements.

It is insane. They are fucking criminals in jail. Not a resort

diuretic
11-15-2007, 04:28 PM
It is insane. They are fucking criminals in jail. Not a resort

They're in prison AS punishment. That's their punishment, deprivation of liberty. Don't forget that Corrections Officers and other personnel have to work in that environment and they need as many management tools as possible to make a prison manageable, hell prisons are dangerous places for both inmates AND corrections personnel, if Monday Night Football is going to make the job easier and safer for those who have to do it then it should be provided. If it's given, it can be taken away.

red states rule
11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
They're in prison AS punishment. That's their punishment, deprivation of liberty. Don't forget that Corrections Officers and other personnel have to work in that environment and they need as many management tools as possible to make a prison manageable, hell prisons are dangerous places for both inmates AND corrections personnel, if Monday Night Football is going to make the job easier and safer for those who have to do it then it should be provided. If it's given, it can be taken away.

Inmates do not need satellite TV. If they want it, let the inmates pay for it - not the over taxed taxpayers

diuretic
11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Inmates do not need satellite TV. If they want it, let the inmates pay for it - not the over taxed taxpayers

No-one needs satellite tv, it's a luxury in anyone's life (regardless of capacity to pay it's not a necessity such as food or shelter etc.). My point is that giving the inmates satellite tv is a management tool. I have never worked in a long-term penal institution (too hard a job for me) but I've been in a few to interview crooks inside and it's a totally artificial environment. I don't care what makes the job of corrections officers safer and a bit easier, they should have it, whatever it is. If management says satellite is a good tool, then they should have it, that was my point.

retiredman
11-15-2007, 05:43 PM
RSR could give a shit about the plight of corrections officials...

red states rule
11-15-2007, 05:57 PM
RSR could give a shit about the plight of corrections officials...

Oy figures you would coddle criminals - just like you do to terrorists

retiredman
11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Oy figures you would coddle criminals - just like you do to terrorists

it figures that you would care about as much for corrections officers as you do for veterans.

"Oy"????

glockmail
11-15-2007, 08:59 PM
It's not insane. It's like he said, about prison management. It's another privilege that can be taken away from individuals who won't comply with prison requirements. By this logic, they should put in a tittie bar.

Yurt
11-16-2007, 12:34 AM

why doesn't he just offer them hookers, massages or such...

hey, what about 6 course dinners....

Yurt
11-16-2007, 12:36 AM
it figures that you would care about as much for corrections officers as you do for veterans.

"Oy"????

illogical. CO's already CONTROL the inmates, "management" is inherent in their job, hence, why the inmates stay behind bars. why don't you donate some some cashmere prison clothing heart bleeder

nevadamedic
11-16-2007, 02:26 AM
This is insane. Now taxpayers are to pay for satellite TV for the criminals? Why not have catered meals, and Select Comfort Sleep Number Beds for each inmate?

Georgia Prison Warden Asks for Satellite TV So Inmates Can Watch Football
Wednesday, November 14, 2007

ATLANTA — The warden of the Clayton County Correctional Institution wants permission to spend money for a "management tool" — satellite TV to keep his 226 inmates occupied watching football.

Warden Frank Taylor is asking the Clayton County Commission to let him sign up for direct-broadcast satellite service for less than $100 a month. It would be funded with money collected at the prison's commissary and pay phones, which last year amounted to $41,000.

"The reason is 'Monday Night Football' is now on cable," he said. "Although it might seem funny, when you have 90 percent of inmates watching something, it is a management tool for the institution."

Currently, he said, inmates in the prison's five dormitories only get two TV channels, often with poor reception.

Taylor asserted that every state prison already has cable or satellite television, but the Georgia Department of Corrections says that isn't so.

"Our televisions have antennas," said department spokeswoman Tracy Smith.

The Clayton County Commission will vote on Taylor's request next week.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311748,00.html

My brother is a Corrections Officer so I definantly agree with giving them satellite as it does distract them. When the inmates have nothing to keep them busy they get into trouble(my brother has almost been killed twice). I think this should definantly be approved.

diuretic
11-16-2007, 02:38 AM
By this logic, they should put in a tittie bar.

That's okay, they'd be under strict supervision because when I was a detective me and my mates were always in tittie bars :coffee:

diuretic
11-16-2007, 02:41 AM
why doesn't he just offer them hookers, massages or such...

hey, what about 6 course dinners....

Funny you should mention that :D

If you get a chance to read Joe Wambaugh's "The New Centurions" be sure to read his character Kilvinsky, who, when he's not pronouncing on "Kilvinsky's Law" has some really interesting ideas on how to handle lifers :coffee:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 05:25 AM
My brother is a Corrections Officer so I definantly agree with giving them satellite as it does distract them. When the inmates have nothing to keep them busy they get into trouble(my brother has almost been killed twice). I think this should definantly be approved.

They can mop the floors, paint the walls, pick up trash, and clean the toilets. There are plenty of things that can be found to keep them busy

diuretic
11-16-2007, 05:43 AM
They can mop the floors, paint the walls, pick up trash, and clean the toilets. There are plenty of things that can be found to keep them busy

Breakin' rocks in the hot sun
I fought the law and the law won
I needed money cause I had none

I like The Clash version best.

I wonder if Sheriff Joe down there in Maricopa County is going to do a version :laugh2:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 05:46 AM
I like The Clash version best.

I wonder if Sheriff Joe down there in Maricopa County is going to do a version :laugh2:

He has the lowest return rate of criminals in the state. I like this guy - he does not coddle the criminals

He makes shure they know they are in jail and not a country club or rest camp

diuretic
11-16-2007, 05:48 AM
He has the lowest return rate of criminals in the state. I like this guy - he does not coddle the criminals

He makes shure they know they are in jail and not a country club or rest camp

If what I read is true, that he booted the crooks out of the county slammer and turned the cells over as a shelter for animals then I'd move to Phoenix, get naturalised and vote for him :laugh2: But it's probably an urban myth.

But on a more serious note, he handles short term custodial facilities as I understand it. Prison is different.

red states rule
11-16-2007, 05:57 AM
If what I read is true, that he booted the crooks out of the county slammer and turned the cells over as a shelter for animals then I'd move to Phoenix, get naturalised and vote for him :laugh2: But it's probably an urban myth.

But on a more serious note, he handles short term custodial facilities as I understand it. Prison is different.

He is pissing off libs by cracking down on illegals. In other words, he is doing his job by enforcing the laws

Arpaio, Mesa police square off over arrests of immigrants
JJ Hensley
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 16, 2007 12:00 AM

Sheriff Joe Arpaio brought his Illegal Immigration Interdiction Unit to Mesa on Thursday morning and netted nine men suspected of being in the country illegally, including two on suspicion of drug possession.

But Mesa police are wondering aloud whether the sheriff's resources could be better used.

Six sheriff's deputies pulled over the men for a series of traffic violations near Stapley Drive and Main Street, and in the course of the investigation learned that the men may be in the country illegally. The deputies also found drugs on two men and discovered an outstanding warrant for another, Arpaio said.

Mesa police questioned the use of 100 officers for immigration enforcement after Arpaio announced this week that he would suspend operations in satellite facilities, including Mesa, because his department had already exceeded its overtime budget by more than $1 million just three months into the fiscal year.

"That's leaving us a tremendous cost of having to get prisoners downtown," said Detective Chris Arvayo, a Mesa police spokesman. "When you look at that fact that he has to close all of these holding facilities down, yet he can use 100 deputies to put on this task force and go out to look for illegal immigrants, it seems to me that the eggs aren't going into the basket they need to."

Arpaio said he operated the suburban facilities as a favor to local police departments.

He has made a habit of doing the public roundups in recent months in other Valley communities, but has so far steered clear of Mesa, where Police Chief George Gascón has previously said that Hispanics, in the country legally or illegally, commit crimes at a rate proportionate with their presence in the population.
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/1116mcso1116.html

diuretic
11-16-2007, 06:03 AM
Isn't pinching illegals a federal-only responsibility?

But then el Jeffe Joe is responding to the demands of the good citizens of Maricopa County I suppose, far be it from me, a mere ferriner copper, to critique him :coffee:

I'm taking the Fifth.

Make that a fifth of Jack :laugh2:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Isn't pinching illegals a federal-only responsibility?

But then el Jeffe Joe is responding to the demands of the good citizens of Maricopa County I suppose, far be it from me, a mere ferriner copper, to critique him :coffee:

I'm taking the Fifth.

Make that a fifth of Jack :laugh2:

If the Feds won't do it - then the locals have to. How many people have been murdered by illegals due to the Feds failure to do so?

Jails are full of illegals and it has to stop

Dems see them as a new voting block - the rest of us see them for what they are - criminals

diuretic
11-16-2007, 06:10 AM
If the Feds won't do it - then the locals have to. How many people have been murdered by illegals due to the Feds failure to do so?

Dunno. How many legal locals have been bumped off by other legal locals?

Jails are full of illegals and it has to stop

No room for local crooks?

Dems see them as a new voting block - the rest of us see them for what they are - criminals

And here I have to take my leave of that part of the discussion. But it was good fun :D

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Dunno. How many legal locals have been bumped off by other legal locals?

No room for local crooks?

And here I have to take my leave of that part of the discussion. But it was good fun :D

Perhaps if your neighborhood was taken over by illegals you would not have such an appeasement attitude

diuretic
11-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Perhaps if your neighborhood was taken over by illegals you would not have such an appeasement attitude

Remember me not discussing a totally domestic issue? And me not wanting to inject my views into a totally domestic issue? This is where I take the Fifth. I'm not going to be such a boofhead as to pronounce how you or anyone else should decide how to handle your illegal immigration problem. I skirted the issue from a different perspective but now I'm pulling the pin, no way am I going to tell you or any other American how they should feel about illegal immigration in their own country. And I mean that with the best spirit, not being a prick or anything.

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Pointing out how Joe Arpaio is doing his job and doing his part to reduce crime

diuretic
11-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Pointing out how Joe Arpaio is doing his job and doing his part to reduce crime

Sheriff Joe answers to his electorate.

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Sheriff Joe answers to his electorate.

That is why he was reelected and very popular - except with the bleeding hearts

diuretic
11-16-2007, 06:26 AM
That is why he was reelected and very popular - except with the bleeding hearts

What all three of them? That's Arizona RSR, ain't too many of yer latte-sipping lib'ruls down there in the sunbelt. :laugh2:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:32 AM
What all three of them? That's Arizona RSR, ain't too many of yer latte-sipping lib'ruls down there in the sunbelt. :laugh2:

Liberals are everywhere here in America. No matter where you live, you speak out against illegals - there will be whiney ass libs there to defend them and attack you

glockmail
11-16-2007, 06:33 AM
My brother is a Corrections Officer so I definantly agree with giving them satellite as it does distract them. When the inmates have nothing to keep them busy they get into trouble(my brother has almost been killed twice). I think this should definantly be approved. They can pick up trash and make license plates.

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:35 AM
They can pick up trash and make license plates.

or cut the weeds along the highway like in Cool Hand Luke

diuretic
11-16-2007, 06:40 AM
or cut the weeds along the highway like in Cool Hand Luke

Great film, great film. I loved it.

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Great film, great film. I loved it.

Ditto

See, there is plenty of things to keep the inmates busy

diuretic
11-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Ditto

See, there is plenty of things to keep the inmates busy

Crapping under a bush and then trying to escape? :laugh2:

Sorry, I saw it years go but it was such a great film it stayed with me. :coffee:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Crapping under a bush and then trying to escape? :laugh2:

Sorry, I saw it years go but it was such a great film it stayed with me. :coffee:

The key word in your post is "trying"

glockmail
11-16-2007, 07:04 AM
"I can eat 50 eggs in an hour".

diuretic
11-16-2007, 07:06 AM
The key word in your post is "trying"

"Still shaking the bush boss" (or something like that, can't remember, it was bloody funny though :D)

diuretic
11-16-2007, 07:07 AM
"I can eat 50 eggs in an hour".

lololololololol - heck I'd forgotten about that one! :laugh2:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 07:08 AM
lololololololol - heck I'd forgotten about that one! :laugh2:

"Got your mind right Luke?"

and

"What we have here is a failure to communitate"

glockmail
11-16-2007, 07:13 AM
"Water yet, boss?"

"Not yet, boy."

glockmail
11-16-2007, 07:15 AM
My fave part was the blonde washing her car in view of the road gang, smearing her titties in soapy water on the windshield.

"She doesn't know what she's doing!"

"Oh, she knows exactly what she's doing."

red states rule
11-16-2007, 07:19 AM
"Stay down"