PDA

View Full Version : Clinton accuses rivals of mud-slinging

82Marine89
11-15-2007, 10:55 PM
LAS VEGAS - Under pressure in a feisty debate, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton accused her closest rivals Thursday night of slinging mud "right out of the Republican playbook" and leveled her sharpest criticism of the campaign at their records.

"People are not attacking me because I'm a woman, they're attacking me because I'm ahead," Clinton said, striving to protect her standing as front-runner in an increasingly competitive nominating campaign.

"What the American people are looking for right now is straight answers to tough questions, and that is not what we have seen from Senator Clinton on a host of issues," said Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois in the opening moments of a debate seven weeks before the first contest of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

"There's nothing personal about this," said former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, who joined Obama in bluntly accusing Clinton of forever switching positions on Social Security, driver's licenses for illegal immigrants and other issues, turning aside the suggestion that she was seeking to hide her positions. Long an advocate of universal health care, she said Obama's current proposal leaves millions uncovered and that Edwards did not support health care for all when he first ran for president in 2004.

The three-way confrontation at the beginning of a lengthy debate reduced the other Democratic presidential hopefuls on the debate stage to the uncomfortable role of spectator, yet it perfectly captured the race for the party's nomination. Clinton leads in the nationwide polls, but recent surveys in Iowa show she is in a virtual dead heat with Obama and Edwards.

For Richardson, Sens. Joseph Biden of Delaware and Chris Dodd of Connecticut and Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, the opening moments were frustrating — and they repeatedly tried to break in.

"Oh, no, don't make me speak," Biden said in mock horror when moderator Wolf Blitzer of CNN called on him roughly 15 minutes into the proceedings.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who has campaigned in Nevada more than any other presidential hopeful, took verbal shots at Clinton and her two closest pursuers in the polls.

"Let's stop the mudslinging," he said.

He said Edwards is engaging in class warfare, Obama was trying to start a generational war and Clinton "with all due respect with her plan on Iraq doesn't end the war. All I want to do is give peace a chance."

Richardson was in the minority when the candidates were asked whether human rights could ever trump national security.

He said it could; Clinton said it could not, and Dodd said "obviously national security." Obama challenged the question, saying "the concepts are not contradictory."

Clinton seemed intent on redeeming what even she conceded was a sub-par performance at the previous debate, turning aside criticism from her rivals and answering questions with practiced ease.

Asked whether she was guilty of playing the "gender card" in her drive to become the first female president, she said she had not.

"I'm not playing the gender card here in Las Vegas," a magnet for gamblers. "I'm trying to play the winning card," she said.

Obama was the first to challenge Clinton, saying it took two weeks to "get a clear answer" on whether she supports or opposes issuing driver's licenses for illegal immigrants. "The same is true on Social Security," he said.

For the first time in a debate since the campaign began, Clinton swiftly answered in kind. "When it came time to step up and decide whether or not he would support universal health care coverage he chose not to do that," she said of Obama. She added his plan would leave 15 million people without coverage — the population of Iowa and three other early voting states in the nominating campaign.

Edwards was next to accuse Clinton of trying to have it both ways — with the war in Iraq, Social Security and defining the scope of President Bush's power to use military force against Iran. "She says she will bring change to Washington while she continues to defend a system that does not work, that is broken, that is rigged, that is corrupt," added the former North Carolina senator.

"I've just been personally attacked again," Clinton broke in. "I don't mind taking hits on my record on issues, but when somebody starts throwing mud at least we can hope it's accurate and not right out of the Republican playbook."

The debate unfolded on a stage at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. The state holds caucuses on Jan. 19 — following Iowa on Jan. 3 and most likely the New Hampshire primary several days later.

The focus on Clinton from the debate's opening moments was hardly surprising.

The New York senator herself has conceded she turned in a sub-par performance at the last debate, when she stumbled on a question about driver's licenses for illegal immigrants. Her husband, the former president, leapt to her defense in the interim, saying of her rivals: "Those boys have been getting tough on her lately."

The setting underscored Nevada's newly prominent role in the nominating process. The state is far more racially diverse than either Iowa or New Hampshire, with a population that is about 22 percent Hispanic and 10 percent black.

Democrats in Nevada hoped the focus on their state would prompt candidates to pay closer heed to Western issues like water, grazing and mining rights.

But it was more than an hour into the two-hour debate before the issue of energy came up.

Instead, Clinton drew the first question — and moments later the first barb from Obama.

Despite her critics, she said, "I think the American people know where I've stood for 35 years," adding she had been fighting for children, workers, families and universal health care.

More than an hour later, Dodd sought to turn the focus back onto Clinton, saying she had changed positions on trade by announcing her support for a deal with Peru at the same time she advocates a "time out" for such agreements.

Moments earlier, Clinton gave a careful answer when asked whether she now viewed the North American Free Trade Agreement — a product of her husband's administration — to be a mistake.

"NAFTA is a mistake to the extent it did not deliver what we hoped it would," she said.

And she fielded another question about NAFTA with a quip. Asked whether she now believes Ross Perot when he argued against NAFTA in a 1993 debate with her husband's vice president, Al Gore, she said: "All I can remember from that is a bunch of charts," a reference to Perot's penchant for presenting information in made-for-television format.

LINK (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071116/ap_on_el_pr/democrats_debate)

KarlMarx
11-16-2007, 05:58 AM
A Clinton accusing someone else of mudslinging...

this is what you call "the pot calling the kettle black" ... isn't it?

If HRC becomes queen of America, she had better have thicker skin than this.... Presidents aren't supposed to run crying to their husbands whenever someone says something nasty about them.....

Besides, in this case, she'd probably have to search all the motels to find him first....

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Mud sligging to Hillary is pointing out she should be working at the local Waffle House

stephanie
11-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Good grief...who predicted...(everone) that the wuss Blitzer would roll over or have the Clinton camp threaten to cut off his pee pee....

What a JOKE...:laugh2::dance:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:09 AM
Good grief...who predicted...(everone) that the wuss Blitzer would roll over or have the Clinton camp threaten to cut off his pee pee....

He paid attention to the warning he got from Clinton Inc. Wolf had no desire to visit Ft Marcy park in the middle of the night

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:46 AM

CNN debate moderator Wolf Blitzer did an 'outstanding' job in Vegas, a senior adviser to the Hillary campaign said early Friday. 'He was outstanding, and did not gang up like Russert did in Philadelphia. He avoided the personal attacks, remained professional and ran the best debate so far. Voters were the big winners last night.'

A rival campaign insider charges: 'Wolf turned into a lamb. No follow-up question on Clinton's huge flip on drivers licenses?'

http://www.drudgereport.com/

11-16-2007, 01:41 PM
why is it mudslinging for being honest?

red states rule
11-16-2007, 01:43 PM
why is it mudslinging for being honest?

You never question waht a Clinton says

You just smile, nod your head yes, and keep your mouth shut

PostmodernProphet
11-16-2007, 05:12 PM
its not really their fault....it's just that everything that comes within a few yards of her turns into mud......it wasn't mud when they slung it, it just turned out that way by the time it landed.....

actsnoblemartin
11-16-2007, 08:35 PM
I was just abouit to say that

pot calling kettle black

I think the mud is offended

A Clinton accusing someone else of mudslinging...

this is what you call "the pot calling the kettle black" ... isn't it?

If HRC becomes queen of America, she had better have thicker skin than this.... Presidents aren't supposed to run crying to their husbands whenever someone says something nasty about them.....

Besides, in this case, she'd probably have to search all the motels to find him first....

red states rule
11-16-2007, 09:16 PM
The liberal media is falling all over Hillary

ABC Gushes Over Hillary; She 'Simplified' Her Immigration Stand
By Scott Whitlock | November 16, 2007 - 12:50 ET
Liberal journalists George Stephanopoulos and Kate Snow spun ABC's coverage of Thursday's Democratic debate as a roaring comeback for Hillary Clinton and charitably described the 2008 contender's shifting position on the issue of driver's licenses for illegal immigrants. Reporting on Friday's "Good Morning America," Snow slyly claimed that Clinton has "simplified her opinion" on the matter and now opposes licenses.

"Simplified" is one way to describe the senator's change of heart. A less friendly variation, one that might be handed to a Republican, is that she flip-flopped. On November 1, the Boston Globe reported, "Hillary Clinton came out yesterday in support of a plan by Governor Eliot Spitzer of New York to offer limited driver's licenses to illegal immigrants..." So, on November 1, she was for the program. She's now against it and that's simplifying a position? "This Week" host George Stephanopoulos, a former Bill Clinton operative, appeared on GMA to gush that the headline from the debate is "Hillary's back." He enthused, "And the subhead, I guess, would be 'no more Madam Nice Guy.'"

If the ABC host's comments sound like talking points straight out of the Clinton campaign, viewers shouldn't be too surprised. After all, during an appearance in late September, Stephanopoulos bragged that Hillary's campaign started sending him e-mails after the senator made a clever debate quip. Reporter Snow also has a reputation as a Clinton booster. On Friday's program, she marveled at how the senator "hit back" at her opponent's charges. After playing several attacks on the front-runner, Snow asserted that the debate then "shifted to issues." This is the same Kate Snow who defended Clinton's now famous laugh by suggesting that the cackle is either a an example of someone having a great time or "she's the master of a shrewd political skill, disarming her critics with a gleam in her eye and a roar straight from the belly."

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2007/11/16/abc-gushes-over-hillary-spins-flip-flop-simple-clarification

chesswarsnow
11-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But this isn't about Hillary, no not at all.
2. This whole campaign is about getting Bill Clinton, back into office.
3. The whole *Neo~Liberal Spin Machine* is in full force to get *Thunder Prick* back into office.:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

red states rule
11-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But this isn't about Hillary, no not at all.
2. This whole campaign is about getting Bill Clinton, back into office.
3. The whole *Neo~Liberal Spin Machine* is in full force to get *Thunder Prick* back into office.:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

But they are a package deal. They have to try and build her up, and lie about how talented she is

The liberal media is her biggest campaign contributer with all the free campaign ads they run for her - but they pass them off as news stories